Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sometimes how emotionless everyone is works very well. Like now. This whole understated thing as they fight is pretty refreshing in a way.

Also loved seeing Himmel fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
In silence, too. The other three clearly knew each other's moves, but Himmel notes that this is the first time Frieren has really worked in concert and anticipated their moves. I like to imagine she just kind of blithely blasted away most of the time and didn't care a bit about strategy. Probably winged all of them at least once. :allears:

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 28, 2023

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

In silence, too. The other three clearly knew each other's moves, but Himmel notes that this is the first time Frieren has really worked in concert and anticipated their moves. I like to imagine she just kind of blithely blasted away most of the time and didn't care a bit about strategy. Probably winged all of them at least once. :allears:

It's funny. I think Zart's had the most thought bubbles/internal monologue of any demon so far. Guess it was necessary to fill the space since the Hero party are kind of a silent, well-oiled machine in combat.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
when you level 99 going back to the beginning area

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Frieren could have just asked the party to close their eyes and cover their ears

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Scallop Eyes posted:

Frieren could have just asked the party to close their eyes and cover their ears

Duck and Cover would also be appropriate. drat.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Invictus posted:

more like Fart, because that's about as strong as that guy was

I mean, in his era, he was clearly quite deadly. But the moment you introduce someone who can fly, his main trick that's worked for centuries is ruined.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've been wondering if Frieren swapped places with her past self and her past self is just hanging out with Fern and Stark now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rubellavator posted:

I've been wondering if Frieren swapped places with her past self and her past self is just hanging out with Fern and Stark now.

If that was the case she would’ve remembered that one time she suddenly got teleported somewhere and spent time with 2 weird teenagers

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RatHat posted:

If that was the case she would’ve remembered that one time she suddenly got teleported somewhere and spent time with 2 weird teenagers

She's already dropped a line about losing a week of memories from trying to decipher it before, and it's not like there isn't room for plausible explanations in a world of magic. It could just be a one-way thing but I think it'd be cooler if it was a swap.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think a swap would be a great way to showcase how far Frieren has come. I wonder if Fern would be to solo a belligerent 80-years younger Frieren.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Squidster posted:

I think a swap would be a great way to showcase how far Frieren has come. I wonder if Fern would be to solo a belligerent 80-years younger Frieren.

They couldn't defend against Soul Track 80 years ago so "young" Frieren would be in serious trouble.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

She remembered Fern and Stark for about 3 hours but she was still in the middle of her adolescent "yeah whatever" funk so nothing stuck

And thus, the timeline was preserved

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

She remembered Fern and Stark for about 3 hours but she was still in the middle of her adolescent "yeah whatever" funk so nothing stuck

And thus, the timeline was preserved

"Adolescent" 1000-year old elf.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

fizzy posted:

"Adolescent" 1000-year old elf.

She was immature enough to not realize she had a boyfriend!

Time is also clearly still a concept she struggles with.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rody One Half posted:

Time is also clearly still a concept she struggles with.

I can't say as I blame her. I'm 40 now and it seems like only last week I was 30. Where the gently caress did that decade go? I know I was doing something if I sit and think about it, but it slipped by so quickly I barely noticed. I imagine if I was an essentially immortal magical being that it'd be easy to lose track of a century or two instead of a decade or two, because I got bogged down studying something and forgot to look up and engage.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

tsob posted:

I can't say as I blame her. I'm 40 now and it seems like only last week I was 30. Where the gently caress did that decade go? I know I was doing something if I sit and think about it, but it slipped by so quickly I barely noticed. I imagine if I was an essentially immortal magical being that it'd be easy to lose track of a century or two instead of a decade or two, because I got bogged down studying something and forgot to look up and engage.

Yeah that's a big part of the appeal for me.

And the thing about her emotional age is that it's been implied that she still has a long, long way to go in terms of her lifespan. Even now she has a bunch of the cliched hallmarks of an irresponsible teenager (barely-there caretaker with Fern more often taking care of her needs than vice-versa, sloppy sleeper, underdeveloped sense of risk [at least when it comes to mimics], etc.). She got a sharp shock with her last encounter with Himmel and after his death, so she's doing her best to grow up and appreciate what's around her more, and I'm sure in elf terms she's doing it at a lightning pace.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
seems obvious to me that she’s gonna spend some time with her bros and then get back to the future by breaking the monument

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
was reminded of this series.
i read it and forgot to stop following it around ch78, so wow, i have a lot of catching up to do.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new chapter
That drunkard priest asking if One Piece is real but Himmel refuses to go on a boring acventure.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

...it's a good punchline even if we're back to hiatus.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
They really are a pair.

Also enjoy Dwarf dad exercising constantly.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Himmel is a proper RPG protagonist just endlessly going on side quests

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

That's how you get all the best equipment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, I guess I figured they'd be ending this arc before the return to hiatus.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Xelkelvos posted:

That's why he's the one that beat the Demon King he was the only one to grind enough levels.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Scallop Eyes posted:

That's why he's the one that beat the Demon King he was the only one to grind enough levels.

All the other heroes were like "Oh, I have to defeat the Demon King as soon as possible! I have no time for all these sidequests!" And they died! Himmel won because he saved every cat.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

One RPG I find myself returning to a lot is Radiant Historia, which really makes the side quests matter to the "true" ending. It takes place in a world undergoing a slow-moving environmental catastrophe, and while you can beeline to resolve the central drama, it only forestalls the immediate consequences, while the slow erosion of the world continues. But getting the best ending requires completing all side quests (via a limited form of time travel), many of which actually have the result of building toward a long-term solution to restore the world's ecology. That solution never actually comes to fruition in the game itself, but you're given hope for an actual solution that isn't resolved by a Big Boss Battle but by a long, tough period of hard work. I see similar themes in Frieren; much like how magic is now moving beyond just being a tool for killing but one for building and enhancing people's lives, Himmel's philosophy may just be that helping people for its own sake makes everybody stronger in the long run, and better able to handle future challenges.

Also note that they've again delicately danced around the mystery of exactly what transpired at the Demon King's castle. Frieren can't even give a "I can't answer that, because timeline" answer, it may just be the wrong question altogether.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Learning that the Demon King had been a persistent threat for centuries changes my interpretation of Himmel's meandering. Dude decided he was going to murder gravity, or the sun, something eternal and unchanging, so why not take a little extra time to smell the flowers? Also, Heltier's subdued despair makes his constant drunkenness look like more of a coping strategy. I'm enjoying seeing these characters fleshed out!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Himmel and Frieren deserve each other. What Frieren has with magic random objects he has with side quests.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This particular sequence is how I now imagine the various wizards making incredibly specific but practical spells interact with the rest of the wizarding world.

(source)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll take the staff that shoots fire and the spell that shells hard boiled eggs, please. I know I'd use the spell more, but principles.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'll take the staff that shoots fire and the spell that shells hard boiled eggs, please. I know I'd use the spell more, but principles.

The principle of using the staff to make a fire to boil the water for the eggs.

For me it's the spell that removes sand from shoes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was just looking at some of the earlier chapters of this, and was it ever explained why the appearance of demons completely changed at one point? The earlier ones are all big monster-looking guys, and then after a certain point they show up as "pretty humans with a horn."

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Ytlaya posted:

I was just looking at some of the earlier chapters of this, and was it ever explained why the appearance of demons completely changed at one point? The earlier ones are all big monster-looking guys, and then after a certain point they show up as "pretty humans with a horn."

If I had to make a completely bullshit excuse out of my butt, I would say it's because demons realized lying and manipulating humans works a lot better when you look like one of them instead of a flaming baphomet or whatever.

The ones that we see in the latter half of the story (so far) are the ones that have been strong/saavy enough to survive the fall of the demon king, so it makes some sense they would appear more human as that would have likely only helped their survival.

A non-narrative reason is that they are also much more appealing to readers in general. Who didn't love handsome boy Macht. We as readers spent a long time trying to figure out which side of the line Macht was on and I don't think it would have been as effective if he looked obviously evil or like that one frog boss from dark souls 2.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RuBisCO posted:

If I had to make a completely bullshit excuse out of my butt, I would say it's because demons realized lying and manipulating humans works a lot better when you look like one of them instead of a flaming baphomet or whatever.

The ones that we see in the latter half of the story (so far) are the ones that have been strong/saavy enough to survive the fall of the demon king, so it makes some sense they would appear more human as that would have likely only helped their survival.

A non-narrative reason is that they are also much more appealing to readers in general. Who didn't love handsome boy Macht. We as readers spent a long time trying to figure out which side of the line Macht was on and I don't think it would have been as effective if he looked obviously evil or like that one frog boss from dark souls 2.

Yeah, though there's also the one from the recent chapters from the past so it doesn't seem like there's an implication of "they only started looking like this recently."

My assumption (unless it's explained elsewhere and I missed it) is just that the author decided that making demons be like this would be more interesting than their initial idea, which was to have them be more "generic" in appearance/personality. It's possible the current understanding of what demons were like (and maybe even the "demons had been in power for millenia" thing mentioned recently) were only decided later into the story.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I would like Macht even more if he looked like a big evil frog

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If Macht was 20 feet tall with three heads and four arms that would have definitely made that arc even more interesting.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
The demon before Macht was a four-armed snake man.

Some of them are more monstrous than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ytlaya posted:

Probably to differentiate them from regular monsters.

As for a plot reason...the demons have been pushed back from the rest of the world so the ones encountered there are weird stragglers that have gimmicks besides "strong magic" to survive. The Northern continent is where more "regular" demons are. Then again, they just fought a four armed snake man so maybe there's going to be more monster demons.

Potato Jones posted:

The demon before Macht was a four-armed snake man.

Some of them are more monstrous than others.

Oops. You already remembered snake man.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 6, 2023