Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah but how is that "the opposite" of data science? There's physics and biology and chemistry in there. But I agree she probably means her major, but it's pretty vague language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I took terrible joy in explaining to my niece that soul sucking jobs pay more, and feel good jobs pay less, because people will take pay cut to not stare into the abyss.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unless you're in the tech industry, where the worst and most soul-sucking jobs also pay the least.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

$16 an hour helpdesk work, drug test.

Six figures as the site tech lead for lab support, no drug test.

:magemage:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
350k dev job, the outings have company paid for weed

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Thesaurus posted:

Yup. Otherwise hard to take two year-long "sabbaticals" by age 24.

I'm sounding like a boomer, but this part made me lol

It does legitimately suck to discover that almost all paid work is extractive, demeaning, and dull

I am sort of torn on this case because on the one hand they're very dumb, but on the other I must note that amazon has a reputation as a unique, especially nightmarish hell for people working for them at every level, even senior management. It's like the company is optimized for employee suffering.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Suffering and profits are correlated

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

But you live in SF and the VC capital just ran out.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
My GWM story is I went to Disney World for free last year for two days. My sister's friend's brother works for Disney, and they can bring three guests in on their free pass. Very convenient for us.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Also half of your coworkers are microdosing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
RIP to the biggest Metaverse supporter.

Chapek had originally said he wanted roughly 1/3 of Disney's content to be Metaverse related by 2030.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1640537971748118529

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was Chapek the outgoing CEO?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was Chapek the outgoing CEO?

Yeah he didn't last long, Bob Iger is back (though I think also about to quit again?).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Humerus posted:

Yeah he didn't last long, Bob Iger is back (though I think also about to quit again?).

Iger was retired and, from what I understand, very much did not want to come back. Chapek is widely seen as a bit of a disaster, both by employees inside the company and investors.

Basically Iger came back to calm poo poo down and try and get things back on an even keel before handing off to someone who hopefully won't gently caress it up this time.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
They also fired their head of post production & VFX, Victoria Alonso, who everyone thought was mental. She had a "finals song" she made everyone sing when VFX finaled a shot. Of course, cue eveyone I know (that works in VFX) singing the song when the news that she was shitcanned broke.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 28, 2023

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
E. Quote is not edit

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The time share conversation is very time appropriate as I'm in Cancun at a Westin property and briefly sat down with our concierge to get our complimentary gift (a bag and free drinks) for him to try to presell us to schedule a 90 minute presentation that paid for our last night. I found that saying "I don't put a high value on free money" short circuited their objection training. Lastly saying "it's only 90 minutes, but it's going to ruin my day" helped too.

Self talk, but so glad I'm in a place where the marginal gifts of sitting through that poo poo mean nothing to me compared to passing out near the pool.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So there was some story in some rag about how Amazon might be interested in buying AMC. That story alone didn't seem very well-sourced (like, it still called Jeff Bezos the Amazon CEO). However, it caused the AMC stock price to jump, which allowed a lot of more legitimate outlets to start reporting that the stock was rising because of that rumor. Thus more people heard the rumor, and now the perpetual bagholders are trying to work the Amazon purchase into their theory of how the MOASS will happen (despite the two things being mutually exclusive).

https://twitter.com/POTATO_INMYASS/status/1640785425865252871?s=20

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 28, 2023

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

LanceHunter posted:

So there was some story in some rag about how Amazon might be interested in buying AMC. That story alone didn't seem very well-sourced (like, it still called Jeff Bezos the Amazon CEO). However, it caused the AMC stock price to jump, which allowed a lot of more legitimate outlets to start reporting that the stock was rising because of that rumor. Thus more people heard the rumor, and now the perpetual bagholders are trying to work the Amazon purchase into their theory of how the MOASS will happen (despite the two things being mutually exclusive).

https://twitter.com/POTATO_INMYASS/status/1640785425865252871?s=20

Last time Bezos got some MOASS it cost him a lot of money.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it's not a sustainable trick, but i did have several hundred dollars in medical debt go to collections, and after a year and a half of steadfastly dodging every attempt to initiate contact with me it disappeared into the ether (never even took a credit hit, which surprised me)

it's not a game of russian roulette i would base my financial strategy on though

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Iger was retired and, from what I understand, very much did not want to come back. Chapek is widely seen as a bit of a disaster, both by employees inside the company and investors.

Basically Iger came back to calm poo poo down and try and get things back on an even keel before handing off to someone who hopefully won't gently caress it up this time.

Which Disney CEO was the one who insisted on the production of release-to-Walmart sequels to the Little Mermaid because his daughter really liked the Little Mermaid

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 10, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

melon cat posted:

Which Disney CEO was the one who insisted on the production of release-to-Walmart sequels to the Little Mermaid because his daughter really liked the Little Mermaid

Getting your company to pay for stuff your kids want is extremely GWM

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

melon cat posted:

That sounds extremely Eisner

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/mymixtapez/status/1640549631372431361?s=20

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

My dude thought he was getting a Hellcat for 26k, and didn't question it?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Literally a Golden Girls plot.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Did the dude renting the car out not get any info from the guy he rented it to...? Like, just bill his credit card for the damages to the car, give his info to the cops, you're done.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That guy definitely knew he was buying a stolen Hellcat for $26K. He just didn't realize how bad of a thief the seller was.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i thought it might be a fake or shady situation but this is the rental place's followup on instagram

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Apparently not the first time this has happened to the guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_MQbj5maM

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

i thought it might be a fake or shady situation but this is the rental place's followup on instagram

Bad With Mopar

Sorry sorry I’ll try better

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Bad With Mopar

Sorry sorry I’ll try better

Bilked Wheels Marketplace

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Borrowing Without Morals: What a Hellcatastrophe

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bad With mopar: this ponzi scheme Hertz

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Dillbag posted:

They also fired their head of post production & VFX, Victoria Alonso, who everyone thought was mental. She had a "finals song" she made everyone sing when VFX finaled a shot. Of course, cue eveyone I know (that works in VFX) singing the song when the news that she was shitcanned broke.

The vfx in marvel movies is a war crime. How is it possible to spend that much money and get black panther hopping around like count dooku in 2003?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Blanche's Wily Manipulation: Hellcats on the road and in bed

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ballsy Wild Moron: Dude, where's my rental hellcat?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Folding ideas has a good longform doc on the intersection of Second Life and Bitcoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Folding ideas has a good longform doc on the intersection of Second Life and Bitcoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q

but with less fetishes / furries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

The vfx in marvel movies is a war crime. How is it possible to spend that much money and get black panther hopping around like count dooku in 2003?

Not creatively locking shots until the very last minute. Not locking the edit until the very last minute, thus adding new shots without enough time to finish them properly.

They were doing additional photography for Ant Man 3 while the film was on the sound mix stage, which is something you usualll wait to do until your VFX are almost all finished, not while you're still shooting the fuckin film.