Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wonder if that is an OS specific thing that might work on one but not another. Only one way to find out!

In other news, WD charging less for a 16tb Red Pro than a 14tb combined with PayPal doing a 12% cash back offer that I then pushed onto a 3% cash back card in turn… I guess my movie collection can get even more esoteric and offputting than ever before.

Of course had to add a new 4 bay drive enclosure because I’ve run out, expensive night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if that is an OS specific thing that might work on one but not another. Only one way to find out!

In other news, WD charging less for a 16tb Red Pro than a 14tb combined with PayPal doing a 12% cash back offer that I then pushed onto a 3% cash back card in turn… I guess my movie collection can get even more esoteric and offputting than ever before.

Of course had to add a new 4 bay drive enclosure because I’ve run out, expensive night.

Link?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The PayPal link you have to follow (then pay with PayPal naturally) https://www.paypal.com/shopping/store-profile/PD8DQ9PRLVFFS

No idea how long or how that particular cash back works. Presumably as a credit after x days/months.

The drive I chose is on this page https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-red-pro-sata-hdd $249 for the 16, compared to $264 for the 14.

Probably not the cheapest cheapest but I usually end up shucking WD external drives and I expect this Pro is a bit higher in the lineup these days now they just use white stickered ones.

Alas WD give you a 10% off voucher if you sign up, but using that takes off the built in saving they already apply.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
woo, thanks, I use both paypal and a credit card that gets me 3 percent. beats shuck 'em if you got 'em prices. 2x16TB here I come.

edit: hmm, it didn't work? I followed the link on the paypal page to the store, and used my regular credit card with paypal. damnit

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 29, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you see the 2x 18tb they were offering for $550? Mentions it by the add to cart button. If you’re getting two drives it might be worth going for that one if the $50 additional isn’t a ‘I’ve spent too much already’ thing.

I hosed up first time round and bought a 14 and was able to cancel straight away.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

kri kri posted:

Can you set the playlist to repeat?

Apparently some updates ago, the Roku Plex app has a repeat option that works perfectly. Issue resolved

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you see the 2x 18tb they were offering for $550? Mentions it by the add to cart button. If you’re getting two drives it might be worth going for that one if the $50 additional isn’t a ‘I’ve spent too much already’ thing.

I hosed up first time round and bought a 14 and was able to cancel straight away.

what did you gently caress up? Maybe i did the same.

order cancelled in any case :/

Did you see the same purchase stuff as I did, but Paypal is supposed to credit me? I've never used a paypal discount before.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 29, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

cruft posted:

A TerraMaster D4-300

It connects over USB3 to the Pi and has given me 0 problems in the 15 months I've had it. Right now I have two 6TB drives in it, using btrfs object mirroring.

It's loud as hell, though. The case actually works kind of like a sounding board and amplifies every little sound. I took the case off and put it on some packing foam to keep the wood floor from also acting like a sounding board. Now you can barely hear it.

I'm an outlier in this thread in that I'm using low-end equipment. But I think I serve as a nice data point when someone like you asks if a computer is fast enough to run Plex: the answer is yes. I can even transcode two 480p videos at the same time with Plex not using the hardware acceleration (could probably do 4 if they ever get around to enabling it: I can help, I've done all the hard work figuring out the ffmpeg options you need).

Dude! Thank you for this. My current media harddrive is getting maxed out and I've been trying to figure out if I should buy a pre-build NAS, or build my own, or what to do.
I bought this and its perfect, it fits on a nearby shelf and is super quiet. As long as I plug it into one of the USB 3.0 plugs its fast enough for 4k movies.
Now I have room for growth too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LRADIKAL posted:

what did you gently caress up? Maybe i did the same.

order cancelled in any case :/

Did you see the same purchase stuff as I did, but Paypal is supposed to credit me? I've never used a paypal discount before.

I got the 14 and the 16 mixed up when I put my purchase through, I accidentally bought the 14 at 265. I realized my error, cancelled it and got the 16 at 249. Just a simple mistake from having too many tabs open as I was looking up prices on both capacities.

I’ve not done cashback through PayPal before, I expect it just uses a built in referral link and when the purchase is verified it credits the account. It’s just a bonus for me really, I was going to buy anyway.

E: oh I didn’t see your original edit when I last replied, I was typing when you edited I guess. Yeah it says it’s a cashback thing so it won’t take it off the purchase price but most likely a credit. They’re always a bit vague tbh.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Dude! Thank you for this. My current media harddrive is getting maxed out and I've been trying to figure out if I should buy a pre-build NAS, or build my own, or what to do.
I bought this and its perfect, it fits on a nearby shelf and is super quiet. As long as I plug it into one of the USB 3.0 plugs its fast enough for 4k movies.
Now I have room for growth too.

This is fine, but also do the NAS. Always NAS. If you have NAS, aquifer more NAS.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I got the 14 and the 16 mixed up when I put my purchase through, I accidentally bought the 14 at 265. I realized my error, cancelled it and got the 16 at 249. Just a simple mistake from having too many tabs open as I was looking up prices on both capacities.

I’ve not done cashback through PayPal before, I expect it just uses a built in referral link and when the purchase is verified it credits the account. It’s just a bonus for me really, I was going to buy anyway.

E: oh I didn’t see your original edit when I last replied, I was typing when you edited I guess. Yeah it says it’s a cashback thing so it won’t take it off the purchase price but most likely a credit. They’re always a bit vague tbh.

Cool, hopefully they'll credit me, screenshotted the offer and my order confirmation just in case. I got that 18TB combo deal, sick! I DO have another 50 bucks! $515 all said and done for 36TB of storage. Not bad. Thanks for the tip.

As an aside, I did the original purchase as a "guest" on the western digital site, and then panicked because I thought i wasn't getting the rebate or however it worked. I cancelled the order then I attempted to sign up for the site, cause why not? Anyhow I got a welcome message, attempted to login and it didn't like my username/password. I tried to reset my password, but it didn't send an email. Finally did chat support today after work and the guy was like "you bought this as a guest" and i told him what happened and he was like "go here and create an account" and I was like "i can't! the button is greyed out" and he goes "you're right, the site can't create new accounts right now, we'll send you an email when we have an update, goodbye" ten minutes later I get the chat log and another email saying "welcome to the site". Sounds like I broke the site and for almost a full day new logins weren't able to be created, and someone kicked the authentication server or whatever, and it woke back up.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
My PC died recently (drive failed) and I just got it back with a fresh install of Windows. My Plex server is fine, because I am using an Nvidia Shield for that, but I have lost my Deluge/Jackett/Sonarr/Radarr setup I was using to pull things down automatically.

Now that I have been forced to have this 'clean start' I wonder if I should set up Deluge/Jackett/Sonarr/Radarr again as they were, or is there a better way to do it? I had been looking at just ditching Jackett for Prowlarr.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nexus6 posted:

My PC died recently (drive failed) and I just got it back with a fresh install of Windows. My Plex server is fine, because I am using an Nvidia Shield for that, but I have lost my Deluge/Jackett/Sonarr/Radarr setup I was using to pull things down automatically.

Now that I have been forced to have this 'clean start' I wonder if I should set up Deluge/Jackett/Sonarr/Radarr again as they were, or is there a better way to do it? I had been looking at just ditching Jackett for Prowlarr.

https://homelabos.com/ is what I would start with, if I were starting over. But it's Linux.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

nexus6 posted:

Can definitely recommend moving to Prowlarr, I liked Jackett well enough but Prowlarr is just a bit easier to use/integrate. Also can recommend using Overseerr, eliminates the need to directly interact with Radarr and Sonarr, very convenient.

Not sure if this was an issue for you, but the arr apps have a built in backup function. Point it to a folder that auto-syncs to Google Drive or another storage system. Definitely prefer restoring the database over re-scanning the libraries, especially if you like to sort stuff by Date Added.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Scruff McGruff posted:

Not sure if this was an issue for you, but the arr apps have a built in backup function. Point it to a folder that auto-syncs to Google Drive or another storage system. Definitely prefer restoring the database over re-scanning the libraries, especially if you like to sort stuff by Date Added.

I mean that's definitely something I'll set up, but my drive died ranomly one night and I don't have a backup so re-scanning it is I guess.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

nexus6 posted:

I mean that's definitely something I'll set up, but my drive died randomly one night and I don't have a backup so re-scanning it is I guess.

Yeah, I learned this one the hard way too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've changed Zero setting within Plex. It use to consistently add shows when they showed up in the watch folder. Now it has just stopped, and I have to manually click the 3 dots next to the library and hit "Scan Library Files" for stuff to show up now.

Any reasons why? I don't really want to push it doing a scan every 15 minutes if it doesn't have to. All the boxes to scan library files on activity in the watch folder have been checked.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Did you move your library to a network volume? Plex can only get filesystem changes on a local drive.

Or, has it always been on a network volume and maybe you changed something in an *arr, which can be set to poke plex to rescan after completing something to solve this exact issue.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's on a Mac on Direct Attached Storage (12TB Drive over USB-C), and has never had a program scanning library files in the past.

Literally went on vacation and haven't touched the computer in a week, and was wondering why during vacation I was not getting and show updates as I added them to my RSS feed. They downloaded just fine, but requires that forced media library scan to get them to show up. Strange.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Did you move your library to a network volume? Plex can only get filesystem changes on a local drive.

Wait what? Really? Does that still hold true for SMB/NFS mounts? I was planning on migrating services off my NAS at some point and that may throw a substantial wrench in things.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Warbird posted:

Wait what? Really? Does that still hold true for SMB/NFS mounts? I was planning on migrating services off my NAS at some point and that may throw a substantial wrench in things.

NFS will probably be ok as it appears as a local filesystem.

SMB might be a problem.

If you're using the Arrs, you can use Autoscan to tell Plex there are new files and disable the disk scan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYBVAzJBw2w

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Warbird posted:

Plex on my Linux box sees changes on my NAS fine over SMB, so I guess depends on OS. My previous Mac Mini server did not see any changes over SMB.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Interesting, that’ll be a fun problem for later potentially. Also, most *arrs have built in “let Plex know about new stuff” features iirc.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
In Sonarr (for example) go to Settings > Connect and add Plex. If its there, make sure your IP or auth token didn't change.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bonzo posted:

In Sonarr (for example) go to Settings > Connect and add Plex. If its there, make sure your IP or auth token didn't change.

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/supported#plexserver

Just FYI this isn't recommended. It works but it might cause a full library scan.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

https://wiki.servarr.com/sonarr/supported#plexserver

Just FYI this isn't recommended. It works but it might cause a full library scan.

Not sure how well this guide applies to non-Unraid users, but there's a great app called Autoscan that replaces Plex's and *arrs's scanning apps and is very fast.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Since a couple of updates ago, when doing a library scan plex will intermittently get stuck either "detecting intros" or "detecting credits". It will hang indefinitely (I've left it 24 hours) and cause my fans to ramp up. If I stop and restart the container and run the scan again it completes with no problems. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tea Bone posted:

Since a couple of updates ago, when doing a library scan plex will intermittently get stuck either "detecting intros" or "detecting credits". It will hang indefinitely (I've left it 24 hours) and cause my fans to ramp up. If I stop and restart the container and run the scan again it completes with no problems. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Yeah, I've had that happen a handful of times but haven't run into it since the latest update (running on a Synology 920+)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Tea Bone posted:

You could try and clean the DB? Logs show anything?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

It's on a Mac on Direct Attached Storage (12TB Drive over USB-C), and has never had a program scanning library files in the past.

Literally went on vacation and haven't touched the computer in a week, and was wondering why during vacation I was not getting and show updates as I added them to my RSS feed. They downloaded just fine, but requires that forced media library scan to get them to show up. Strange.

Latest server update seemed to fix this, FYI :shrug:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Beelink Mini S12 Mini PC
Is currently $159
12th Intel Alder Lake- N95 3.4 GHz
8GB ram

For a Plex server, do you need 16GB ram? This seems like a really good deal if I pair it with one or two of the 4-bay USB hard drive things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex doesn’t seem to be too RAM hungry in my experience.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

8 GB of memory has been more than enough for me. I rarely see the entire system with *arrs and whatnot go past 2 GB

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm on an 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 running a whole mess of poo poo and RAM still isn't a problem.

Also ARM64 is RISC so your Intel CPU is going to use a little less RAM for executables.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple TV people - does the new Actor view work in your Movie libraries? For me it’s fine in TV and watchlist views for movies when not specifically in my movie library, but if I go into mine specifically it reverts to the old style. My scanners and agents are all setup to use the new Plex Movie one. It’s been like this for ages.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hmm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they’re going to share data with these companies, I specifically want it to tell them I had that movie in my library from the moment it came out and still nobody wanted to watch it even for free. Useful metrics!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm moving the hard drive that has my movies to a dedicated Plex server computer. There is no way to move the database, or is there? Its just going to be a few days of the CPU at 100% analyzing everything I guess?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm moving the hard drive that has my movies to a dedicated Plex server computer. There is no way to move the database, or is there? Its just going to be a few days of the CPU at 100% analyzing everything I guess?

Plex has a guide for windows and Mac OS to move everything over so you don’t have to lose your watches status. It has to be done in the right order as per usual for plex dance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

If they’re going to share data with these companies, I specifically want it to tell them I had that movie in my library from the moment it came out and still nobody wanted to watch it even for free. Useful metrics!

Better than Nelson!
I wonder how much of my library has 0 views. 75%? Can I look that up?