Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have they made a Mothman plush? Feels like they're missing out if they haven't already.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You have to steal the Mothman plush from a child with a really stupid outfit?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
her hands are freakishly small, like doll hands attached to the wrist

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dreams do come true :3:

Also the mothman figure does exist?

Alder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 24, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hit it!
https://youtu.be/fnS3nWX9iu4

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like that Mothman is a cutesy mascot demon that's a total rear end in a top hat to you in SMT5 negotiations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The next time someone complains about the teleporters in Strange Journey, I'm going to point them to the last floors of the Soul Matrix in Soul Hackers 2. A worse series of teleport mazes in a game with a much worse map system.

I'm now convinced that these labyrinths are just here to make more filler dungeons with less assets, and this is a game that already has 2.5 subway dungeons.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ajkalan posted:

I like that Mothman is a cutesy mascot demon that's a total rear end in a top hat to you in SMT5 negotiations.

Mothman is at his best in the titles where demon language exists and you haven't learnt it yet but you got a Mothman through fusion so occasionally after battles he'll be like "*}`<:]%(%#&#%,"#.,!$&'$'$'%$>'????" and you say yeah sure little buddy, whatever you want. :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1641908517320916992/

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack's time is over, it's all about Mothman now

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Mothman is all timer best demon design. It deserves a cute plush

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I always dismissed Mothman bc irl pretty much the worst type of backstory a cryptid can get and an even worse Richard Gere movie, but I have been shown the truth. Mothman? Best demon in SMT.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has the Jersey Devil ever been in an SMT game??

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Soul Hackers 1 and one of the Devil Children duologies, yeah.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Bring back chemtrails

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I watched Beetlejuice and got to the part where hes the snake and had a moment remembering that hes in SMT2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

Yes and no. The PS2 version of Nocturne reused and remixed many voice clips from the older games including the older English dub of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, so some of the Ulala(Amanda Winn Lee)'s voices made into Nocturne.

I had no idea about this. I find this pretty interesting. The original voices for Nocturne demons were certainly unique and this explains it, I guess.

Also think I might do a third run of SMTIVA after talking about it with a new player on Reddit. Game is so damned good. I really need to do full Anarchy run this time around. I recommended to the new player to at least start Anarchy because it's so unbelievably good. In a perverse way, the beginning of Anarchy really helped me realize how much I loved all my companions in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUVnI1ZqLPs&t=111s

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I just couldnt do Anarchy, it was too stressful

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It should be the only ending

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dagdas a little baby who needs to be put to bed and i would never betray my close personal friend hallelujah

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

studio mujahideen posted:

dagdas a little baby who needs to be put to bed and i would never betray my close personal friend hallelujah

I actually asked about that on Reddit, which death hurts the most.

For me it was Toki or Navarre. Navarre is just a wonderful example of why I love IVA more than IV as it took such a nothing character and turned him into somebody I liked a lot. And if you take out Nozomi first, all he can do is throw out these pitiful attacks. It's really sad. And Toki's is even more soul crushing.

Not surprising, Nozomi is in dead, dead last in the poll about which death was the hardest on you. I got nothing against her but if I were to rank my IVA Partners by Favorite to Least Favorite, she's the clear choice for Least Favorite. Although she does have this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Toki is my fav. Not only is she just the type of character i like, she is super useful for random encounters

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Toki is my fav. Not only is she just the type of character i like, she is super useful for random encounters

Her dub voice-actress is so incredibly good, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7s_WNc9890

Looking it up, she's Morgana from P5. But if I ever met her, I'd be sure to say I know you from your role in th8s semi-obscure 3DS JRPG and you were amazing.

For my Anarchy run, I'm tempted to choose her as my one Partner or Gaston. Toki cuz she's my fave and Gaston because I'm perversely curious to see if I can win the game on Apoc difficulty with him. Of course, I'm also scared to try because it's all or nothing. You can't lower the Apocalypse difficulty so if Gaston makes it impossible for me to defeat YHVH, I'm boned and went through that awful dungeon again for nothing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wonder if anyone's ever chose Hallelujah, I'm gonna go with no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Wonder if anyone's ever chose Hallelujah, I'm gonna go with no

Hallelujah Aptism, Gundam Arios, taking off!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I don't really like how Anarchy is implemented. You got only two main routes but they couldn't be bothered to make the game react in a natural way to your choices so your companions will always love you and say you're the coolest kid in the block until the route split even if you refuse to shake anyone's hand or called Asahi useless and a hindrace when she's at her lowest so it feels like it comes out of the left field no matter what you do. One detail I liked is Isabeau will say something different depending on whether you chose to help move the wounded at the beginning of the game or not, claiming she has hated your guts from the beginning if you didn't, precisely because it's the only time your choices are acknowledged and because it's believable given Isabeau doesn't spend as much time with you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Not surprising, Nozomi is in dead, dead last in the poll about which death was the hardest on you. I got nothing against her but if I were to rank my IVA Partners by Favorite to Least Favorite, she's the clear choice for Least Favorite. Although she does have this.

She's like an elementary school teacher trying to sound hip in front of her pupils and is awesome for it, but I'm sure gameplay plays a major role on people's preferences for that kind of poll and she's really bad as a battle partner.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Petiso posted:

She's like an elementary school teacher trying to sound hip in front of her pupils and is awesome for it, but I'm sure gameplay plays a major role on people's preferences for that kind of poll and she's really bad as a battle partner.

While true, I feel like the game in general has a kind of "slangy" localization.

It reminds me of some of the otome games I played which also liked to throw in modern kid/teen lingo like totes if the characters were yunger. I don't recall SMTV doing this. Probably different translation philosophies. These are two very, very different games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like nozomi. Im taking this bold stand

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like nozomi. Im taking this bold stand

Her outfit is really cute

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I always had a soft spot for Nozomi even tho shes a doofus bc SMT4 Apocalypse turned a throwaway questgiver character from SMT4 into a full companion and examples of that in video game sequels and sequels in media in general are uncommon at best so Im a fan! ..and yeah her Fairy Queen/Cyberpunk Demon Hunter look is real neato actually

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The only companion I'm meh on is Gaston and even he gets a reasonably good arc even if he's absolutely dead last in gameplay terms

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

hey, he becomes good

in the cosmic egg

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The results of the Reddit poll:

quote:

17.9%
Navarre
3.6%
Nozomi
17.9%
Hallelujah
25.0%
Isabeau
11.6%
Gaston
24.1%
Toki

Closer than I would have thought. Toki was even leading there for a while but Isabeau made a comeback.

In any event, as I start up my third Apoc run, I did realize something. I was talking with Imp about the value of finding a good battle system and sticking with it. I'm firmly convinced of this. Press Turn is a great system and sticking with it, refining it each game, is what they should keep doing into perpetuity. It's the only way to make a truly great battle system.

...But i do have to confess SMTIV is a hiccup n this line of progression. I tried replaying it after IVA and it was really, really rough. I'm not sure I could honestly argue its iteration of Press Turn is better than Nocturne's. So while the battle systems were amazing in IVA and V, something horrible happened with IV. It's just not fun.

Your "helpers" being at best useless and at worst sabotaging your attempts to win in the early game is a big problem for certain. The weird "generic demon stats" are also strange. I had totally forgotten that demons have like 5's in everything except the one stat which matters for them. It also carries over Nocturne's "here, have a newbie demon who has Repel or Drain." I remember my last run of Apoc I was preparing to fight Sukuna-Hikona and I was like "aw, don't worry, I remember I get Jack Frost at this time and he Drains Ice." Wrong! He does that in Nocturne and IV but IVA doesn't hand you low level demons with Drains or Repels. Good move on their part.

IVA probably is the Megaten game I have the most fun playing. About the only criticism I have is I miss HP-based Physical damage. It made the system stand out more than just using MP for everything. But that's a pretty minor thing. In terms of non-battle system gameplay, Navarre's gimmick is irritating, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neutral bad. I guess both of IVA's main endings are technically Neutral but in any game with real choice, I dunno if I'll ever go that route.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Uh, this seems a tad broken that I can make this while I'm like Level 7 or something.

I'm making a serious effort to get through SMT1 at last. I was playing a bit of SMTIV but I really just don't like that game. Its mechanics are all a mess, including its alignment stuff. I'll still probably finish it again but even worse than mechanical issues is the fact I just don't care about the Samurai. Kaga was around for five minutes and was way cooler than Walter.

Although I did have a realization that SMTIVA's focus on slang was probably a deliberate counter to how uppity the Samurai talk. So that was nice to think about.

But anyway, I'm going to SMT1 instead, see where it all began. I understand it's kind of annoying to get Neutral here too because, and this really intrigues me, alignment is tied up with gameplay a lot more than I'm used to. I'm very happy about this because it barely effects any gameplay in the later games with SJ being the sole exception. But anyway my mom is dead and the happy music never really stopped and I don't think it's ever gonna come up again. Between this and what I saw of the first couple hours of SMT2, these games are a lot more...I dunno, kinda goofy. Nocturne is often heralded for its atmosphere, very Horror and all that, but these games are...I'm not sure what they are right now.

EDIT:

Well that explains that about my uber demon dog. But what if I didn't fuse him at all? Do you have to to get the Terminal to work?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 25, 2023

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, they don’t let you continue without fusing Pascal.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

NikkolasKing posted:

Uh, this seems a tad broken that I can make this while I'm like Level 7 or something.

I'm making a serious effort to get through SMT1 at last. I was playing a bit of SMTIV but I really just don't like that game. Its mechanics are all a mess, including its alignment stuff. I'll still probably finish it again but even worse than mechanical issues is the fact I just don't care about the Samurai. Kaga was around for five minutes and was way cooler than Walter.

Although I did have a realization that SMTIVA's focus on slang was probably a deliberate counter to how uppity the Samurai talk. So that was nice to think about.

But anyway, I'm going to SMT1 instead, see where it all began. I understand it's kind of annoying to get Neutral here too because, and this really intrigues me, alignment is tied up with gameplay a lot more than I'm used to. I'm very happy about this because it barely effects any gameplay in the later games with SJ being the sole exception. But anyway my mom is dead and the happy music never really stopped and I don't think it's ever gonna come up again. Between this and what I saw of the first couple hours of SMT2, these games are a lot more...I dunno, kinda goofy. Nocturne is often heralded for its atmosphere, very Horror and all that, but these games are...I'm not sure what they are right now.

EDIT:

Well that explains that about my uber demon dog. But what if I didn't fuse him at all? Do you have to to get the Terminal to work?

SMT 1 is probably my favorite in the whole series, having RPGs start off in the modern day setting are so cool. I wish we had an official release here, preferably with some quality of life improvements.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is an official release. It's just unlisted and only available on ancient apple devices

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Diabetic posted:

SMT 1 is probably my favorite in the whole series, having RPGs start off in the modern day setting are so cool. I wish we had an official release here, preferably with some quality of life improvements.

No QOL but it was translated and released for iOS. There's a patch floating around which takes that translation and plugs into the GBA version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Diabetic posted:

This is the officially localized script ported to GBA version
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6129/

I'm playing the fan translation for the PSX version which I can't link because files, but just Google CDRomance Shin Megami Tensei English Patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9OXF61d360

I know some people have said SMT1 Chaos has the best theme and I must respectfully disagree. It's very good but nothing will probably ever bet SMTIV Chaos theme. I love it so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltZYONI44M