Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

now i'm wondering how much backblast there'd be from one

Equal to the frontblast, but with fewer steel balls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You'll be the consistency of spaghetti sauce.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
But in Edge of Tomorrow Tom Cruise survives when he holds it out in both hands?

You mean that movie lied to me?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

M_Gargantua posted:

But in Edge of Tomorrow Tom Cruise survives when he holds it out in both hands?

You mean that movie lied to me?

It's a plot point that it also kills him

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ahh but its the acid blood that kills him, he survives the claymore, just kinda in about to die condition.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Adam Jensen can take NO damage when he does the full 360 version. Then again, he's, like, 90% machine at that point

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Died with claymore, not of etc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
one could say claymore is a

double edged sword

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

double edged sword

YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!

:frogc00l:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

double edged sword

It's.. usually not.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A.o.D. posted:

It's.. usually not.

Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary disagree

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I for one wish they would clay less

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Aces High posted:

Adam Jensen can take NO damage when he does the full 360 version. Then again, he's, like, 90% machine at that point

Hey pal, he didn't ask for this.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

A.o.D. posted:

It's.. usually not.

Not sure what you're on about, both the two handed greatsword claymore, and the basket-hilted broadsword claymore are double edged.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

He said claymore not your HANZO STEEL DAI-KATANA

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soul Dentist posted:

I for one wish they would clay less

You beat me to it

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

Lad needs a nightsight & red dot to fight the good fight.
I wonder if there's a donation fund for that, like the one at the beginning of the 2003 Iraq invasion to get Army goons some body armor.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

orange juche posted:

you mean you've never strapped a claymore to your chest and held the clacker in your hand while screaming at adversary soldiers to cross a bridge and fight you?

I knew I had read about this somewhere but I had look it up.

The Korean Axe Murder Incident:

wikipedia posted:

In addition, a 64-man task force of the South Korean 1st Special Forces Brigade accompanied them, armed with clubs and trained in taekwondo, supposedly without firearms. However, once they parked their trucks near the Bridge of No Return, they started throwing out the sandbags that lined the truck bottoms and handing out M16 rifles and M79 grenade launchers that had been concealed below them.[4] Several of the commandos also had M18 Claymore mines strapped to their chests with the firing mechanism in their hands, and were shouting at the North Koreans to cross the bridge.[13][14]

The primary source has an extra bit of flavor:

Bill Ferguson posted:

A few of the ROK marines with us unbutton their shirts, showing that they have claymore mines strapped to their chests and they have the clacker (firing mechanism) in their hands. They start yelling and waving at the KPA to come on over. One of the ROK’s is laying on his side, on the ground, supporting his head his his hand, looking all casual and care free. Once in a while he lifts his head a bit and hits the rear tire of Exum’s deuce with the back of his fist, shaking the entire truck bed. Anybody who’s ever been on a deuce knows that’s not easy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ajaxify posted:

I knew I had read about this somewhere but I had look it up.

The Korean Axe Murder Incident:

The primary source has an extra bit of flavor:

The previous president of South Korea (Moon Jae-in) was one of the ROK commandos too lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

now i'm wondering how much backblast there'd be from one

Just a mild steel backing plate and chunks of an epoxy matrix being pushed through your chest by about a kilo of C4 detonating.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The playing cards have made a return, this time to help Ukrainian troops get familiar with NATO weapons:

https://censor.net/ua/photo_news/3408659/pentagon_rozrobyv_kolodu_gralnyh_kart_yaka_dopomoje_ukrayinskym_viyiskovym_rozpiznavaty_zbroyu_nato

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZDiLp0imk

There's a just released interview with trench guy that goes over what happened, and it has really good english subtitles. It's much clearer what's going on.

Of note:
* The russian bmp apparently stops around 5m from the trench. Trench guy thinks he hit it at least twice, and it's possible that some of the RPG rounds didn't arm (or didn't hit in the right way) because it's so close
* It's the first time for the trench for ammo guy, and apparently he had a concussion on top of everything else
* The rifles seem to jam a bit
* Trench guy fires a round into the trench wall when reloading
* There's alot of grenades being thrown by both sides

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wrong Theory posted:

Hey pal, he didn't ask for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGKfTzHSPc

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

The previous president of South Korea (Moon Jae-in) was one of the ROK commandos too lol

Huh, guy apparently also participated in Operation Paul Bunyan

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pikehead posted:

There's a just released interview with trench guy that goes over what happened, and it has really good english subtitles. It's much clearer what's going on.

That's a pro-click, easily worth twenty minutes of your time.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

mllaneza posted:

That's a pro-click, easily worth twenty minutes of your time.

Agree.

I also like that they took the time to talk about his battle buddy - that would have been me, but worse. Glad that guy got some props.

I wonder if they are going to pull him off the line to do a PR tour, Basilone-style. It would surprise me, but he must have a sizeable Russian bounty* on his head now.

*payout not guaranteed

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Everyone seems to have a cool callsign/nickname inside their unit. I hope his buddy will now get "Squire".

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

golden bubble posted:

In previous interview, that guy claimed he learned situational awareness from PUBG.

But does he wear a cast-iron frying pan over his rear end to deflect bullets?

Bill Ferguson posted:

One of the ROK’s is laying on his side, on the ground, supporting his head his his hand, looking all casual and care free. Once in a while he lifts his head a bit and hits the rear tire of Exum’s deuce with the back of his fist, shaking the entire truck bed. Anybody who’s ever been on a deuce knows that’s not easy.

I need to know more about this man.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pikehead posted:

Of note:
* The russian bmp apparently stops around 5m from the trench. Trench guy thinks he hit it at least twice, and it's possible that some of the RPG rounds didn't arm (or didn't hit in the right way) because it's so close
* It's the first time for the trench for ammo guy, and apparently he had a concussion on top of everything else

Nice bit of context that video provides: What I initially though was a cry of terror was actually a whoop of joy because permission had just been given to use all of the toys he'd been provided with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Didnt the Russians develop that one on their own?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

That Works posted:

If the CIA is putting mind control microchips into the US vaxx just imagine what they are putting into the Russian vaxx.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That Works posted:

Yeah, and making it so quickly, and ending up with something that wasn't completely useless, was one of the very very few things Russia has done during the last decade that was seriously impressive.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pikehead posted:

Of note:

Seeing it again with the commentary feels even more terrifying. The PKM accidentally discharging when he reloads it leaves a clean visible hole in the original video. Fumbling around with the ammo in the dugout was nauseating

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pikehead posted:

Of note:

And now it's restricted on YT, bollocks. :rolleyes:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Just Another Lurker posted:

And now it's restricted on YT, bollocks. :rolleyes:

It's got clear footage of a man being shot to death, I can't really fault the warning. I was able to just click through it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
YT seems a bit weird about when it just lets you click through the warnings and when it demands that you register your credit card with them in order to verify your age.

Managed to skim through the video a bit at work. It's kind of wild that the stuff you used to only read about in Medal of Honor citations is now available on HD PoV video.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

raminasi posted:

It's got clear footage of a man being shot to death, I can't really fault the warning. I was able to just click through it.

It appears that i'm an IDIOT!!!... and never thought to click through, many thanks. :ughh:

edit: I saw the original footage when it was new so no worries on the shock side of things.

edit: That was a very informative breakdown of all that went on there, brave lads.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 29, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Apparently the Ukrainians have been busy decking out newly arrived Leopard 2A4's in ERA bricks. Looks like there's scaffolding on the turret for more to go on? It's going to look like some bizarre amalgamation of a Leo2 and a T-72 when they're done.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Abrams ERA when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Abrams ERA when

Abrams ERA is just the heat rounds it shoots the t-55 with from 5km away.