Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

This works, but so does just holding the “Shift” key when you right click. No RegEdit needed.

The right click with "Shift" key doesn't work for me to bring up the full menu, it still brings up the short menu. Does it only work on like 22H2, or on non-Home versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

WORKS GREAT THANK YOU
Lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My machine is always on for some stuff, and the new windows maximizing over my taskbar for no reason feature is a good reminder to perform a reboot once in a while.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Number_6 posted:

The right click with "Shift" key doesn't work for me to bring up the full menu, it still brings up the short menu. Does it only work on like 22H2, or on non-Home versions?

You can use Chris Titus's Windows utility to restore proper right-click menus by default (as well as lots of other nice tweaks.)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Number_6 posted:

That may be…I’m on updated Pro and didn’t think something like that would be version-locked.

The registry hack should work in Home, though.

Edit:

Pipski posted:

You can use Chris Titus's Windows utility to restore proper right-click menus by default (as well as lots of other nice tweaks.)

This is also great advice.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I'm 90% sure Shift+right click to bring up the classic context menu is from 22H2, it came along with a bunch of other UX changes

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Still can’t believe windows 7 came out 9 years ago. Time flies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

9?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

buglord posted:

Still can’t believe windows 7 came out 9 years ago. Time flies.

You mean 15 years ago? Unless you meant Windows 10, which came out 8 years ago..

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vic posted:

My machine is always on for some stuff, and the new windows maximizing over my taskbar for no reason feature is a good reminder to perform a reboot once in a while.

I thought that was just me.

It seemed too weird and lovely to be a common thing

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Last Chance posted:

You mean 15 years ago? Unless you meant Windows 10, which came out 8 years ago..

What the gently caress is wrong with you people? Windows 7 came out 14 years ago, Windows 8 came out 11 years ago. YOU'RE WELCOME.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lmao at new thread title

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
oh no lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if this is the thread for this or if there's like a quick tech support thread but I'm having some headphones issues hopefully someone can help with:

I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphones and they worked just fine forever but now when I turn them on they pair with Windows 11 but they don't appear in sound devices

I've re-paired them a couple times and I've done the thing where you plug them in to charge and hit both buttons to do a factory reset

Beyond that I dunno what to do exactly

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know why I might be getting this message when trying to enable preview builds?

I'm running a Ryzen 5600x CPU, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, 4070 ti GPU, and a 1TB Samsung SSD.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is your TPM enabled

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Is your TPM enabled

No :colbert:

Thank you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphones and they worked just fine forever but now when I turn them on they pair with Windows 11 but they don't appear in sound devices

I've re-paired them a couple times and I've done the thing where you plug them in to charge and hit both buttons to do a factory reset

Beyond that I dunno what to do exactly

Have you restarted the PC as well? (Or start with just disable & re-enable the bluetooth radio -- when I've had issues along those lines that was often enough to solve it.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

Have you restarted the PC as well? (Or start with just disable & re-enable the bluetooth radio -- when I've had issues along those lines that was often enough to solve it.)

Yeah, this. Often if Bluetooth misbehaves literally turning it off and back on again helps sort it out.

The other thing I'd check is if the headphones are paired with another device and the multiconnect isn't behaving. I've had Bluetooth earphones act really weird jumping between devices, so turning off whatever other device they might be connecting to can help.

One nice thing about having accumulated so many earbuds is that I can assign them to specific devices to some extent, which reduces some hassles.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I did restart the bluetooth and PC and those didn't fix it but weirdly, trying to connect it to my phone and then disconnect it did work so I think it was something about multiconnect I guess. Thanks!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
This is at least the second update that turned off StartAllBack, my VPN, Logi so horizontal scroll doesn't control volume until I reload it, and declared my copy of Windows to be an evaluation copy. And autohide the taskbar, which at least I'm getting better at finding the tickbox for.

WIP 25330.1000.rs_prerelease.230325-1609 FWIW

Stupid wandos

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 1, 2023

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Ihmemies posted:

Does anyone have Local Security Authority turned off for reason X today? Maybe another hosed up Windows Defender update?

can't help but notice we're already in April and this hasn't been fixed, April fools?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My local security has said it's off for at least a month now, google says it's still on, just says it's off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I submitted feedback on that yesterday, I got a caution sign on my Defender on every loving device I have because of it. Even after making sure its enabled and rebooting as it instructs you to.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This is at least the second update that turned off StartAllBack, my VPN, Logi so horizontal scroll doesn't control volume until I reload it, and declared my copy of Windows to be an evaluation copy. And autohide the taskbar, which at least I'm getting better at finding the tickbox for.

WIP 25330.1000.rs_prerelease.230325-1609 FWIW

Stupid wandos

lmao you don’t get to complain about bugs when you’re running a build from the Canary Insider channel

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CBD Corndog posted:

lmao you don’t get to complain about bugs when you’re running a build from the Canary Insider channel

It has that little notification that says I’m running an unlicensed copy though which makes me worry they lost it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My memory integrity keeps turning off. If I go to turn it back on now I can do it (and have to restart) but it eventually turns itself off.

All the info I can find about it says that if you turn it off while something incompatible is on, it will give you a driver list like this (not my pic):

I don't ever get that. I do plug this laptop in to at least 3 different docks during a week so I understand it could be any number of different peripherals.

Is there a way to figure out the Event ID or whatever so I can check the logs of what is turning off memory integrity?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

codo27 posted:

I submitted feedback on that yesterday, I got a caution sign on my Defender on every loving device I have because of it. Even after making sure its enabled and rebooting as it instructs you to.

Head to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and create DWORDs with value 2 for both "RunAsPPL" and "RunAsPPLBoot" if either of them aren't there yet. Then reboot

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It has that little notification that says I’m running an unlicensed copy though which makes me worry they lost it

Which part of YOU ARE USING A CANARY INSIDER VERSION you don't get?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've had that before on an insider build. It went away eventually, although at some point prior I'd told it to stop installing insider builds and migrate me back to release builds, so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MikusR posted:

Which part of YOU ARE USING A CANARY INSIDER VERSION you don't get?

I always take things at face value and what it’s telling me is it lost it which ofc, as you say. Doesn’t make it less unnerving

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

All insider builds have the watermark. Only the lower tier Beta and Release Preview builds remove the watermark when they're ramping up for a release candidate build.

Its so when something breaks you can easily give the build number for troubleshooting, and to tell the user they're on a development, non-final and unstable version of Windows. Canary and Developer channels get major updates weekly, so unless you wipe your computer and go back to Stable you will run into the same issues weekly.

This isn't a Windows 11 issue, it was the same way in the Windows 10 insider program as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CBD Corndog posted:

All insider builds have the watermark. Only the lower tier Beta and Release Preview builds remove the watermark when they're ramping up for a release candidate build.

IIRC they used to (maybe still do) start the blog posts of the builds near release with a note that while the watermark is gone, it does not mean it's the final build.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I recently did a clean win 11 install on an ideapad slim 7i (11th gen Intel) and it feels like poo poo. I had been running Fedora fine on it for a year. I'm set power profile to performance but I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe Lenovo drivers or something windows update didn't provide?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
So... Windows 12 for 2024 (allegedly)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
More like 2025. Always hold off at least a year before going to a new windows OS if you want it to work right.

Unless you like being a beta tester anyways.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Aware posted:

I recently did a clean win 11 install on an ideapad slim 7i (11th gen Intel) and it feels like poo poo. I had been running Fedora fine on it for a year. I'm set power profile to performance but I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe Lenovo drivers or something windows update didn't provide?

Maybe Chipsets drivers or something? Try running Lenovo Vantage and let it update/install everything it wants to.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/software/vantage

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Maybe Chipsets drivers or something? Try running Lenovo Vantage and let it update/install everything it wants to.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/software/vantage

Thanks will give it a shot!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

a dmc delorean posted:

So... Windows 12 for 2024 (allegedly)

Wait…what?

New newest last edition of Windows, I guess…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the update that messed up my local security was unfixable, even after uninstalling it the issue was there, no reg fix would fix it. so, I did a inplace upgrade to beta and all good now.

like no sfc, dism or whatever would touch whatever issues, Microsoft needs to make a proper update and integrity troubleshooter.