Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Weren't those the Mayor forums that like every candidate since has skipped

I have no idea, I never even lived in Chicago. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/WGNNews/status/1636846222949466112?t=kxiGXp-a2r3aLnz5BS1b8g&s=19

Great idea. Give your phone to a cop unlocked!!!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If you can have a physical card, and the digital, I can see the benefits. Have the digital card for when you need valid proof of ID, but don’t want (or forgot) to bring your physical card.

Yeah, maybe don’t give the cops your phone, but at like a bank or bar (if still in your 20s and getting carded) shouldn’t be a problem.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I have no idea, I never even lived in Chicago. :shrug:

Me either, I just had a similar memory and all trying to figure out if we're in the same dream space

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So when you get a ticket the cop takes your phone? Uhhhhhhh...

It's been a while since I got one so it might have changed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's an option.

Like it'd mean I'd just keep my license in my car, and wouldn't have to take my wallet everywhere, and potentially forget it.

As if I need to show ID to someone in a store I can just use my phone.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So when you get a ticket the cop takes your phone? Uhhhhhhh...

It's been a while since I got one so it might have changed.

I foresee a huge market for new apps that display your real and valid DL along with honeypots displaying mycrimes.txt that lock the phone and sound alarms when clicked.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dexo posted:

It's an option.

Like it'd mean I'd just keep my license in my car, and wouldn't have to take my wallet everywhere, and potentially forget it.

As if I need to show ID to someone in a store I can just use my phone.

Yes, it’s exactly like the vaccine cards. I don’t carry around my COVID vaccine card in my wallet because it’s on my phone now. No one is telling you to stop carrying around your physical license.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ok so I’ve been digging for info on those nonpartisan local elections for folks so you can avoid voting for the Mary Millers of the world and a friend clued me into this group.

Illinois Families for Public Schools posted:

Numerous national extremist organizations supporting anti-public school, anti-equality policies and activity have been organizing in Illinois leading up to the April 4, 2023 local elections, including for school boards and libraries.

National organizations include:

Moms for Liberty
Leadership Institute
Americans for Prosperity
Heritage Foundation and Heritage Action for America
Turning Point USA
Moms for America
FAIR
Restoration PAC
American Federation for Children
Parents Defending Education
1776 PAC
These national organizations are partnering with state and local organizations to support candidates and slates, including:

Awake IL
Breakthrough Ideas
Wirepoints
Illinois Policy Institute
School districts where these organizations have been involved include Barrington D220, Oswego D308, Niles Township High School D219 (and feeder elementary school districts, including Fairview D72, and library board in Lincolnwood), Wheaton-Warrenvile CUSD200, Lyons Township High School D204, Downers Grove High School D99, New Trier Township High School D203, Westmont D201, and others.

This isn't a comprehensive resource of what's happening, but we hope it's a place to start for voters and community members researching the candidates on their ballots.

More info here.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Daily Herald leans left? Could have fooled me.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DTaeKim posted:

Daily Herald leans left? Could have fooled me.

They aren’t included under progressive orgs but newspapers because they list candidates for local races.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Looks like the Dems are at least paying attention to the school/library board issue.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/3/25/23656631/illinois-democrats-spending-big-to-combat-extremist-conservatives-in-school-board-races

quote:

In an unprecedented move, the Illinois Democratic Party is investing about $300,000 in school and library board elections around the state to combat what it calls “extremist conservatives.”
As previously reported by WBEZ, groups of conservative candidates are banding together in an attempt to get elected, sometimes with the support of outside organizations. For example, a group called Action PAC is funding candidates in Barrington Unit Community School District 220. They’re running on a platform to raise test scores, saying certain lessons, such as Illinois’ social-emotional learning and sex ed standards, are based on harmful ideologies and are distracting students from academics.

The party is recommending 84 candidates across 17 counties around the state. It’s also sending direct mail against 74 candidates whom it calls extremists. The party is spending about $300,000 on training for candidates, on paid communications and for mailers and digital ads. It also launched a website, DefendOurSchoolsIL, where residents can find recommended candidates. It’s also weighing in on local library board candidates.

Also Durbin endorsed Vallas, and frankly gently caress the IL democratic party for backing this rear end in a top hat.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bird in a Blender posted:

Also Durbin endorsed Vallas, and frankly gently caress the IL democratic party for backing this rear end in a top hat.

Yup gently caress Durbin in his stupid rear end. Dude is out there for years now decrying MAGA people and then he goes out there and endorses one. I am sure that won't come back to bite him in a couple of years.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Glad I’m running for a high school board where seemingly none of the other candidates are weirdos. It’s so boring the local League of Women Voters contacted me in the beginning of February about a candidate forum and then never followed up. They had one for Lyons Township last week. While I already knew something was up with LT, the number of yard signs exploded exponentially last week with more outside organizations were getting involved.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I believe there's radio of Vallas attacking Durbin, but these guys will always punch left no matter what.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
BeneDick Durbin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Durbin backed so Bernie could endorce.
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1640889312035106818?s=20

Which checks out given bernie's history with the CPD
https://twitter.com/Walruzuma/status/1640889750025302017?s=20

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

HootTheOwl posted:

Which checks out given bernie's history with the CPD
https://twitter.com/Walruzuma/status/1640889750025302017?s=20

Lol I thought this tweet was in support of Bernie at first, but it's actually just a bootlicker and we're supposed to think Bernie is bad for protesting segregation

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 29, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Lol I thought this tweet was in support of Bernie at first, but it's actually just a bootlicker and we're supposed to think Bernie is bad for protesting segregation

oh my god that's amazing he's tripling down in the replies

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Piell posted:

What really?
Same, I didn't even check.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

That guy can't be for real. His retweets are so random I can't tell what his ideology is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He claims Bernie is actively suppressing that image and being arrested for any reason is bad lol

Yeah wouldn't want people to know he was on the side of integration and civil rights!

Edit: Their Twitter is pure nonsense and of course they have a $GME tag in their description.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 30, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I had no idea Bernie did that and it is incredibly cool.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/Walruzuma/status/1641107016524476418?t=Ag8ksX6rIZONdiwbanrQ9g&s=19

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bernies endorsement is the kiss of death. Vallas gonna win by 7 or more

Kind of wild going from a black lesbian woman with a jd back to a straight white man (with a masters in poli sci, the fakest of all degrees )

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 30, 2023

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Don't put that loving evil in the world.

Johnson and Chuy supporters didn't attack Vallas during the primary because they thought he'd be the easiest to beat and now he's the front runner against their combined effort.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

https://twitter.com/Brandon4Chicago/status/1641462911569739779?t=JMGcvvGk2kmg2JdQaUqGNA&s=19

This one will really move the needle

e: VVV Yes

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait is that the daytime TV judge?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

It's a good way to get the senior citizen vote

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wait, is Greg Mathis from Chicago or is he just weighing in?

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wait, is Greg Mathis from Chicago or is he just weighing in?

He apparently filmed the original show in Chicago, yeah.

He's going to be on a new show in the fall, no word about where it's being produced.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Brandon Johnson makes 100 thousand dollars from CTU on top of his county job, and he's going to lose this election because he didn't pay his water bill for a year.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is Mathis the "dont forget my intenetttt!!" guy?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The X-man cometh posted:

Brandon Johnson makes 100 thousand dollars from CTU on top of his county job, and he's going to lose this election because he didn't pay his water bill for a year.

I don't think that's accurate, I just read an article where his spox called him working class.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Cook county commissioners make 85K, how the gently caress is that working class?

We really need Vallas to gently caress up this weekend.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What is the CTU paying him for?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A handy list of people not to vote for.

https://www.awakeil.com/vote

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

https://twitter.com/Brandon4Chicago/status/1642167343819177985?t=s7BeW2fboXUBCydGloSF2Q&s=19

Most impactful endorsement of the cycle? Perhaps.

E: it was a Matt Forte endorsement of Johnson... But it might have been an April fool's joke lmao

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 1, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
^^
Deleted.

Is my memory lovely or is this mayoral cycle having both candidates lean extra loving hard on endorsements? Maybe because they both aren't as well known as say, Rahm. Lightfoot wasn't well known, but she had an obviously massive lead in the polls so she didn't have to really worry that much (and then before Rahm with Daley, who cared).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think the race is really tight, and so both candidates are just looking for any edge they can. City elections are also usually low turnout and voters don’t pay enough attention, so endorsements are an easy way to get people’s attention.

This will probably be the closest election we’ve had in decades.