Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSshi6SV0OA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah that just looks so bog standard Pixar.

Jokes are unfunny. Art is just boring at this point and the whole story just seems *so* recycled without even an interesting bent on it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah it’s just the “what if x were people” formula with no interesting spin on it and uninteresting characters. Sad to see Pixar reduced to this. Pass unless I hear really good things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trailer for the new Paul Schrader movie Master Gardener :sickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuJ9tv1eM0

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

Wow, that looks fantastic. I'm glad it's finally being released, I feel like it was doing the festivals in 2021 or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

what if the elements had to go to an office job or ride a subway . amazing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jerkface posted:

what if the elements had to go to an office job or ride a subway . amazing

Did you know that society tries to put you in lanes but.... you don't have to be like that?!?!

Mind. blown.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rageaholic posted:

I wish I was feeling it...but I'm just not. I can't really put my finger on it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic posted:

I’m sure this is a fine movie but it just made me want to watch First Reformed again because that movie is a masterpiece

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m sure this is a fine movie but it just made me want to watch First Reformed again because that movie is a masterpiece

if you slept on The Card Counter that was really good too

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Did you know that society tries to put you in lanes but.... you don't have to be like that?!?!

Mind. blown.

Lol it's a kids movie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's nice to see that Elements hasn't become more refined at all since the teaser which also looked like garbage.

This is Pixar phoning it in harder than they might have ever have. At least since Cars 2 but at least that actually looked good?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

quote:

I thought it was just a gardener movie. I was hyped for a basic gardener movie 😐

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol it's a kids movie

The whole appeal of Pixar used to be, "It's a kids movie, but so much more." If they're now just, "It's a kids movie", that's totally fine. I have a kid, and I watch lots of kids movies with her. But that's definitely a downgrade for Pixar. Or has been for me since Coco. (Just so I'm clear, I mean after Coco. I loving love Coco.)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol it's a kids movie

Oh don't be so reductive. My point is that it's a story they have already told - themselves! Only this time without even a lick of finesse or subtlety which was always their wheelhouse.

It's not that it's a bad message. It's just that it feels like their ability to story tell is going backwards... Not getting better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol it's a kids movie

So is Puss in Boots 2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah it just feels devoid of personality. Even on the "what if x was people" level it just feels so misguided. Elements are universal so its not totally a bad pick, but why put them in a modern city off in their own world? People tend to personify elements to how they impact their own lives. Its not like animals where its like we know those are off doing their own thing, or like Cars commitment to just having bizzaro America but with talking automobiles. It's a flavorless decision.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the first minutes of Wall-E and the first minutes of Up

Everything else of theirs has always felt like bog standard childrens movies and I've never seen the appeal. With that said I haven't seen any Pixar movie since Up, so I dont really know what they are like anymore

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Everything else of theirs has always felt like bog standard childrens movies and I've never seen the appeal. With that said I haven't seen any Pixar movie since Up, so I dont really know what they are like anymore

Inside Out and Coco are genuine masterpieces and well worth watching at any age imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah it just feels devoid of personality. Even on the "what if x was people" level it just feels so misguided. Elements are universal so its not totally a bad pick, but why put them in a modern city off in their own world? People tend to personify elements to how they impact their own lives. Its not like animals where its like we know those are off doing their own thing, or like Cars commitment to just having bizzaro America but with talking automobiles. It's a flavorless decision.

theres two types of anthropomorphic fiction: “what if x was people” and “what if people were x.” the first type is absolutely always better and more interesting. this is not a false dichotomy

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the latest wes anderson film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5L_PT5-34

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Zzulu posted:

Inside Out, Coco, Luca, Turning Red are 4 movies you should probably watch. it'll give you a good idea of how high Pixar can reach.

They stand out above the rest.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I don't know how I feel about Pixar in general any more. The Toy Story and Finding Nemo flicks are all good (not seen TS4 though). Only liked the opening of Up, some of Wall-E, kinda disliked most of Inside Out, and on a rewatch confirmed I hated Incredibles. Tapped out of Cars when I realised it was a literal remake of Doc Hollywood.

I should watch Coco at some point, I guess.

e: Turning Red is them as well? That's on my to be watched list too, thought that was someone else for some reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That is for sure a Wes Anderson film

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason that link doesn't work any more. Here's an alternate

https://youtu.be/M6QOGrUVOC0

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Distressing lack of love for Ratatouille itt.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Woof. That looks terrible, both as a movie and from a visual standpoint. There seems to be no consistency as to how realistic or cartoony the world is at seemingly random points. The fire effect in particular looks very unfinished.

But get this - race essentialism.....but animated!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Inside Out, Coco, Luca, Turning Red are 4 movies you should probably watch. it'll give you a good idea of how high Pixar can reach.

They stand out above the rest.

I'd say Luca was the only one of those I'd recommend to anyone who isn't already an animation fan as it feels the most original and less cookie cutter plotwise of the four. But honestly I think these movies just aren't for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason that link doesn't work any more. Here's an alternate

https://youtu.be/M6QOGrUVOC0

I hate this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched that trailer twice and the whole thing creeps me the hell out.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
(bravely) I like Wes Anderson and that movie looks like exactly the slop I want from him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh I’m sure I’m in the minority on mr wes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

No I think he's quite become a caricature of himself. I haven't really been able to get into anything after Tenebaums.

BUT... the color on this one is just insane. I mean, I probably will feel the same about his movie as the last few, but that's gorgeous to look at even by his usual standards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

he peaked over twenty years ago and i never really need to see another movie from him again

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

smug n stuff posted:

(bravely) I like Wes Anderson and that movie looks like exactly the slop I want from him.

To me, I'm into it and I'll enjoy the novelty and I'll probably have a lot of fun with it. It looks like he's pushing his storybook vibe as far as it can go while still being live action. But. The kind of thing I want is a return to a Tenenbaums-esque naturalism, where it's making the real world more novel, rather than existing in its own novel reality. I felt like Dispatch had shades of that, but was still so goofy in its form.

If he's going to keep going down this road I want him to entirely throw reality out and just ape Karel Zeman.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I assume that Tom Hanks is there because Bill Murray was busy? I get the same feeling of "oh, that was intended to be played by _______ instead" that I got from Tim Roth's character in Hateful Eight (should've been Christoph Waltz and nothing will convince me otherwise).

That said, my favorite Wes Anderson film is still The Royal Tenenbaums but even though I haven't liked his more recent movies as much, I absolutely love that he goes so hard at his own style. You do you, Wes

Edit: that's three votes for Tenenbaums in a row. The people have spoken

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The Grand Budapest Hotel and The French Dispatch were the end of the road for me, I'm afraid. How does he manage to get these insane ensembles? His characters are just photocopies of photocopies of prior characters from his previous movies at this point, and I imagine the production is insanely boring since they spend so much time setting up each shot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thiccabod posted:

Edit: that's three votes for Tenenbaums in a row. The people have spoken

Tenenbaums is a stone cold masterpiece and the whole denouement is like emotional crack for me. Such a fantastic payoff.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it just me or do Anderson's recent movies feel like they're at 1.5x speed? Granted this is just a trailer. But it reminds me of The French Dispatch, which I gave up trying to understand halfway through because of how fast every scene was. Setupsetuppunchlinenextscene, repeat, with no time in between to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

The Grand Budapest Hotel and The French Dispatch were the end of the road for me, I'm afraid. How does he manage to get these insane ensembles? His characters are just photocopies of photocopies of prior characters from his previous movies at this point, and I imagine the production is insanely boring since they spend so much time setting up each shot.

He gets such stacked casts because actors love doing his movies, I think mostly because they're different. Not different from each other, sure, but different from most other movies out there. Granted, I largely agree that they aren't for me anymore. Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite movies, but it's mostly been misses for me since then. Though I did enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. But I totally get why actors want to be in them. If I was an actor, I'd jump at the chance to be in a movie like this over some MCU role (ignoring which pays better, of course).

Like, Ed Norton and Bruce Willis both looked like they were actually having fun in Moonrise Kingdom.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 29, 2023