Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

they got rid of skald? My 70+ attempts to win as a merfolk skald shall remain an unfinished monument to my stupidity.

Any advice on a good rc file to steal? Do I even need to do that anymore now that food isn't a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Scored a new personal best today with a HOCA - http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20230328-210535.txt

It's a combo high score, though I don't expect that to last too long.

Found a few powerful unrandarts that made me think very carefully about my build. One was the Dark Maul (52 base damage but mindelay 1.6), which I skipped because the speed penalty would make me too vulnerable to being surrounded and blocked from reaching a torment caster. Swapping over to an axe would have been an option, but didn't want to level both skills. The seven-league boots were a more difficult call. Rampaging any distance seems incredibly powerful and good for turn count too. I think a better crawler would have taken them, but I felt like I didn't have the mental resources to not screw it up. The scenario I was worried about was closing fast and revealing more enemies than I could handle. Though I guess that can be avoided by backpedaling into a hallway. I also didn't understand how they would interact with attacks of opportunity or clouds.

The other unrandart was an Amulet of Air, which I tried for a little bit, but gave up in favor of a simple regen amulet. Seemed like I was actually missing more often, which I didn't care for, and I didn't think repel missiles was going to be that big in the remaining branches (Tomb, Dis, Tart).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Heh, I had a browse on your morgue (something I rarely do) and had a small chuckle at the small bit of storytelling about the plate armour:

code:
Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 | 19-21 | 22-24 | 25-27 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Armor: Robe              |    31 |    18 |    18 |       |       |       |       |       |       ||    67
       Chain mail        |       |       |   109 |    20 |   539 |   615 |   653 |    23 |       ||  1959
       Plate armour      |       |       |       |   182 |       |       |       |   823 |    61 ||  1066
       Scale mail        |       |       |       |    24 |    54 |       |       |       |       ||    78
       Crystal plate arm |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  1012 ||  1012
       Gold dragon scale |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |       |  2419 ||  2419

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
The +9 chain mail "Zauromai" {Slay+5} made my armor progression a little more interesting. In the series of failed HOCA games leading up to this plate would take over around XL 12.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
A game I was in a bit ago I found a +9 chain mail!

... with Slay-5 :(

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey so I have been playing this on and off since 0.5.2, hail to the old days of Resist Slow Mino berserker nonsense, and I fell off some time around 0.16 or 0.17 or something. I know a lot has changed since then.

I downloaded this and was trying to do console with the replacement character set that turns the walls into solid blocks, think it was the IBM charset, and it seems that no matter what I change now, I can’t get that charset back. I know most of you probably play tiles, but would you know how I might get that back? Running on Win11, using the built-in Win Console, fyi.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got my first win after not playing for quite a while. Trunk is still a lot of fun and overall feels like it’s moving in a positive direction. I played a Tengu Reaver of WJC. General thoughts below:

-WJC still feels awesome. It’s a lot more streamlined than before, and I do miss the crazy stuff the jankiness let you pull off, but it’s strong and really fun to play. I swept through all of V:5 (not just the ambush, the whole floor) in one heavenly storm. The new spell, Vhi’s electric charge, along with WJC martial attacks is particularly satisfying.

-Vhi’s electric charge is really awesome. With a heavy (replaces the vorpal brand, basically like dark maul as a brand) greatsword I was one-shotting enemies throughout the game from several tiles away. The mobility and damage are really good, balanced by the fact that you’re not as safe as fighting in a corridor.

-Tengu feels quite a bit stronger than it used to. You get permanent flight (this no longer has any downside), fast movement and an evasion boost from XL 5. The fast movement makes you immune to attacks of opportunity from normal speed enemies, which is really, really strong. I had rock solid defenses in fire dragon scales by vaults jon top of hitting like a truck and having some really good support spells.

-I don’t like reaver much at all. Kiss of death is okay, but momentum strike feels way too dangerous to use when it counts and hailstorm’s animation is annoyingly slow. The background sets you up to skill in ice, translocations and necromancy, which are all good hybrid schools, but conjurations itself was not very useful. I picked up freezing cloud in mid game and it did help, but I’m not sure if just investing more in defenses wouldn’t have been better. The game really needs a mid-high level conjurations spell for hybrids, particularly now that dex is a solid competitor to int for stat investment.

-Speaking of which, all in on dex is really good now for a long blades character. You get a lot of EV and damage out of it, and spells like Vhi’s electric charge and manifold assault make magic a really strong force multiplier for melee.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

-WJC

-momentum strike

I think wjc stops the enemy from getting those new attacks of opportunity on you too?

Also momentum strike is risky as hell, but the damage is huge for a level 2 spell. Smite targeting too.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mortimer Knag posted:

I think wjc stops the enemy from getting those new attacks of opportunity on you too?

Also momentum strike is risky as hell, but the damage is huge for a level 2 spell. Smite targeting too.

I think they protect you from attacks of opportunity when you use the special martial attacks (the god would be unusable otherwise) but otherwise don’t just let you kite or reposition freely. I could be wrong about that, though.

Even if momentum strike felt good mechanically, the fact that you have to wait after every fight for the -move to go away makes it not worth it.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Trying to make my early game a little more reliable - how do you handle training? Obviously it differs from game to game, and depends on race/class combo, but I'm looking for general guidelines. In particular I want to make my early game more reliable.

Let's say I start as a Tengu Fighter. By default, you start training Fighting, your weapon skill, Armor and Shields... and no points in Dodging. What I typically do is turn off Shields and turn on Dodging, at least until I get a level or two in it. I try to get at least a level or two in Evocations after D3 or so, and if I take on a god that uses Invocations I'll get at least three levels in it ASAP.

Some advice on the wiki indicates (paraphrasing) that for early-game characters (like pre-D5), character death usually ends up being a matter of not killing quickly enough rather than not being tank enough - there's advice to not really train any defensive skills for a bit, in order to get your combat skills going ASAP, in particular for spellcasters. I've tried this a few times to, varying success.

What about Fighting/Spellcasting? I know Fighting gives a small boost to accuracy, and increases HP, and Spellcasting generally boosts spell success/power and MP - is it important to put points into them for the first few levels?

e: in a similar vein, one of the things I've kinda settled on in games is getting to D:15, or as deep as possible if I encounter some particular nasties, then getting into Lair. Typically by Lair my defenses are good enough that I can dump all my XP into whatever my weapon skill is, in an effort to get down to mindelay ASAP. Wise strat, or silly?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 6, 2023

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

death cob for cutie posted:

Trying to make my early game a little more reliable - how do you handle training? Obviously it differs from game to game, and depends on race/class combo, but I'm looking for general guidelines. In particular I want to make my early game more reliable.

Let's say I start as a Tengu Fighter. By default, you start training Fighting, your weapon skill, Armor and Shields... and no points in Dodging. What I typically do is turn off Shields and turn on Dodging, at least until I get a level or two in it. I try to get at least a level or two in Evocations after D3 or so, and if I take on a god that uses Invocations I'll get at least three levels in it ASAP.

Some advice on the wiki indicates (paraphrasing) that for early-game characters (like pre-D5), character death usually ends up being a matter of not killing quickly enough rather than not being tank enough - there's advice to not really train any defensive skills for a bit, in order to get your combat skills going ASAP, in particular for spellcasters. I've tried this a few times to, varying success.

What about Fighting/Spellcasting? I know Fighting gives a small boost to accuracy, and increases HP, and Spellcasting generally boosts spell success/power and MP - is it important to put points into them for the first few levels?

typically you'll see people start out by training nothing but their primary weapon skill or spell school until their weapon reaches minimum attack delay (for melee characters) or until casting their starting spells will no longer explode in their face so much (for spellcasters). training armour early on isn't super useful since it gives you the most return only when you've found heavier armour, and iirc the same goes for shields. training fighting and spellcasting are always good but you'll probably be training them on and off for the whole run, so you don't have to focus on them right away.

the faster you can get your primary method of damage in a fast and reliable spot, the better off you'll be in the early game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah mindelay is fuckin huge esp if it’s like it was way back when where getting the biggest fuckoff twohander you could realistically wield was the go-to for anything that used melee. The other stuff I always just kinda felt out as I went. Wasn’t strictly optimal but it felt like it usually worked out okay.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the other thing to remember is that single levels in any given skill barely do anything for you. remember that they go up to 27. putting one level into a bunch of skills means you've spent a bunch of skill xp on almost zero benefit. figure out what you want to do as early as possible and specialize

this benefits the midgame too, because if you already have your weapon or spell skills at comfortable levels then you'll have a much easier time training invocations or evocations or the odd spell school because you won't be getting your rear end beat so much

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Conversely, play a gnoll and hope you get good enough gear to carry you to extended where you become an absolute monster.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dolphinbomb posted:

Conversely, play a gnoll and hope you get good enough gear to carry you to extended where you become an absolute monster.

this is basically how i got my first ever win so yeah do this

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'll echo what was said above; that advice has never served me wrong. There's been a lot of effort to buff stuff like fighting since (with re-scaled hp gains, etc), but I doubt it's changed the gist of it:

Manually turn off everything and exclusively train your kill-dudes skill. When it's up to snuff, swap to the don't-die skills, until the next tier of gear drops, then swap back to pure kill-dudes. (Perform minor sanity checks to see if you can actually use the next tier before trying to rush it) An example would be training the weapon skill of your starting weapon until it hits mindelay, then pausing it and getting fighting and armour/dodge while waiting for a better axe to drop. Same with spell schools vs spellcasting.

Being able to competently murder stuff is the most consistently useful skill in DCSS, especially early game. At some point around- or post- lair you can afford to dip into utility skills, such as invocations or transloc spells etc.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I feel the need to emphasize fighting too. Once you get your weapons to mindelay/spells castable, more HP is one of the best defensive tools you have as it protects you from nearly everything, and fighting is the way to achieve that. Practically every character wants high fighting, though it's extra good for melee characters as it's raising your offenses as well.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I cannot play DCSS online, no matter what server - site is stuck on "loading", anyone had such issue before?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’ll go against the consensus here and say that depending on your specific weapon, beelining for mindelay can leave you really squishy. I go for about 10 first in a weapon skill, then a few points in defenses pre-lair, then back to mindelay for my weapon. Once you get into the teens, it starts to take a lot of xp to go up one point in a skill, and you’ll usually get higher returns from the very cheap first few points in fighting/shields/armor/dodging. Fighting gives both damage and defense, so going to 5 or so pre-lair can really help.

Skill planning on book starts is really different depending on the background, but there you can end up delaying defenses further if your book requires multiple schools and high spell power to function. Getting your higher tier spells online is often a bigger improvement in your chance to survive than a few points in defenses because the lower tier spells just stop cutting it in lair. But even there it really depends on your species and what you’ve found in the dungeon.

In terms of early game exploration strategy, I typically clear the dungeon to D: 12, then go to lair. Usually that gives you enough xp that lair threats are manageable. Late D can have stuff that’s way worse than typical lair enemies (death knights with undead packs, wizards, fire and ice dragons, skeleton warriors, etc.) I save D: 13-15 until after orc. Sometimes even D:12 can be too spicy for pre-lair characters to handle, so it really depends.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
You can literally tab down to d12-15 on most the strong combos, training just fighting evocations and armor/dodging/stealth or whatever else you want, and no weapon skill with just smart use of tools, certain low level spells even with high failure rates, smart consumable use, certain god powers, etc. Finding a fast weapon with venom or draining or elec or whatever can clear orc mines level 1 and 2 with those other tools which let's you see what the shops have on offer. That's what Ive been doing as a bit of a challenge whenever I don't know what build I'm going towards, or if I'm a demon spawn or something.

It's not really hard either with the melee or hybrid backgrounds, just keep any weapon with a brand, use your wands and your misc items, carry and use all the darts and boomerangs and javelins, blind quaff potions early in a fight, start fights by casting spells even at 60% failure rates as long as you read what the worst miscast can do first. A wand of charming and an unbranded spear can carry you to orc by themselves even.

But yeah, getting down to 1.0 aut per swing asap is the optimal play (unless you're a caster), getting to min delay asap would depend more on your combo and if you can delay defenses for a couple levels.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

unseen horror simulacra are,

rude

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

it took me way too long to realize that warpers are literally devil may cry characters

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

back in my day you could serpent lash onto a mimic and pick it up for loot

it will always be the best god ability and I will never reveal more of its secrets

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

EightFlyingCars posted:

it took me way too long to realize that warpers are literally devil may cry characters

Warpers are so much fun. They're definitely my favorite start in the current version. My latest fun with Vhi's electric charge: using it on a demonspawn with the demonic magic mutation and an orb of guile. You can charge something, paralyze all the weak-willed enemies around you and then just bounce around between them killing them with stabs while they're helpless to fight back. Draconian packs in Zot were completely shut down by this. Lesser beckoning also works nicely, since demonic magic applies after the effects of a spell, so you suck an enemy in, paralyze them, then stab them. It's not really a strategy against high will enemies, but you can still throw crystal spears or whatever and opportunistically charge-stab anything that does get paralyzed.

Related question: what's extended like these days? I'm tempted to take this character into extended, but it's been a long, long time since I've done it and I'm not sure what to expect. Also, does Hep hold up in extended? The hexer absolutely trashes things when idealized and I'm taking hits, but melts fast if it gets focused by just about anything. Should I expect it to just constantly get damnationed out of existence?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Warpers are so much fun. They're definitely my favorite start in the current version. My latest fun with Vhi's electric charge: using it on a demonspawn with the demonic magic mutation and an orb of guile. You can charge something, paralyze all the weak-willed enemies around you and then just bounce around between them killing them with stabs while they're helpless to fight back. Draconian packs in Zot were completely shut down by this. Lesser beckoning also works nicely, since demonic magic applies after the effects of a spell, so you suck an enemy in, paralyze them, then stab them. It's not really a strategy against high will enemies, but you can still throw crystal spears or whatever and opportunistically charge-stab anything that does get paralyzed.

Related question: what's extended like these days? I'm tempted to take this character into extended, but it's been a long, long time since I've done it and I'm not sure what to expect. Also, does Hep hold up in extended? The hexer absolutely trashes things when idealized and I'm taking hits, but melts fast if it gets focused by just about anything. Should I expect it to just constantly get damnationed out of existence?

pandemonium was pretty boring the last time i played it but the hells are a lot tougher now. you're guaranteed to eat a mystical force every time you move down a floor so you wanna make your trips count.

anyway today i learned that yara's violent unravelling works on uskayaw paralysis :unsmigghh:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

pandemonium was pretty boring the last time i played it but the hells are a lot tougher now. you're guaranteed to eat a mystical force every time you move down a floor so you wanna make your trips count.

anyway today i learned that yara's violent unravelling works on uskayaw paralysis :unsmigghh:

works on tons of stuff. curare comes to mind

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

EightFlyingCars posted:

Turns out Pan was a little too boring and I just went to win after wandering around forever and only getting one rune.

To answer my own questions above, Hep Hexer was still really good. His hexes themselves were less relevant, but antimagic really messed things up and his damage output was through the roof when idealized. Mass confusion did come into play in a big way a few times. He killed all the hellions on hellion island by just making them jump into the lava. He (or I) also paralyzed a number of pan lords.

Demonic magic remained surprisingly powerful. It locks down chaff, trivialized demonspawn, shut down tormentors, neqoxecs, and hellions entirely, and would occasionally give me free kills against tougher enemies. Pin-balling around charge stabbing enemies will never get old. Enfeeble was also way better than I expected. It was another way to shut down nasty but weak willed enemies as soon as they appeared and made fiends and pan lords far less threatening.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

speaking of pandemonium, i hated every single second i spent getting all five runes in there. thank zin for the angel floor that finally gave me a way out. made out with ten runes, my highest count yet! http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tommu/morgue-Tommu-20230424-054556.txt

this was a stupid strong character. i might never play anything but a warper ever again. i probably could have managed a branch of hell or two, or maybe tried my first ziggurat, but i already came literally within 3 HP of losing this whole run in cerebov's joint and i felt like the game was getting tired of my poo poo.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 24, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

For anyone who missed it, the tentative tournament start date is May 5th.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'd like to join a team of similarly terrible people. I've only won twice, once with a MiBe and once with a Centaur, rest in peace.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I will probably run a team for terrible folks unlikely to win, although I am constantly aspiring to.

Now I just need a team name... now that I use "death cob for cutie" as my username here, naming my team the same thing feels a bit egotistical

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just name it that, or the traditional “Ogrecoming Adversity.”

I will again commit to trying to play during the tourney only to get swamped at work and playing one character to lair during the whole tournament.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Arcane Barkspersons and we only play gnoll hexslingers

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Well, feel free to tell me if you want in to "Death Cob For Cutie", as I am an unoriginal hack and a massive egotist aside and couldn't find a race/class combo to make a good pun with

Do note that while I'll be trying my best I am not likely to ascend, so if you think you're gonna be putting serious Points on the Board feel free to spin up a more serious team

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I typically play Gooncrawl but with no development in years it seems like a tourney would be a great time to check out the modern game. I'll miss eating purple (eating anything?) and Charms and whatever else.
If you're OK with me playing my rando class/race combos while I learn 0.30 and die a lot then feel free to add me: PakistaniPitt on CKO (do we have to be on the same server?)

it looks like I need to add your name to my RC file?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I might need to come up with a different solution for the Hydra problem on my Troll.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

put me in coach, i'll get us a win or two

add me as Tommu in the roster!

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 5, 2023

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Time for Zot, or should I backtrack to fill in gaps in my equipment?

https://cbro.berotato.org/morgue/Vadun/Vadun.txt

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd probably clear out Elf for the xp alone, but I'm not sure what gaps you feel you're gonna be able to fill with so many restricted slots. Maybe a rN++ item? Likewise Slime is an xp extraveganza if you can handle it safely - no need to take on the vault if you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I don’t think equipment is really an issue, though rF++ for orbs of fire would be really nice. More xp would be really nice as well, as would a chance for some scrolls to enchant up your armor.