Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Poland is buying like 800 tanks for a land war that if it were to occur, would be about 30 minutes from the end of all civilisation

because they are stupid fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

sadly we're in for a decade long war, both sides are not buckling so expect us to keep talking about this for a while like Syria.

War over next year, the prophet has spoken.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1641046352040808448

bunch of stuff idling before the big attack

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

nice of the Russians to let them sit out in the open like this, I'm sure the Russians wont regret this when their next well-earned defeat happens.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm no mud expert, but I went through the key points in the mud book:

Mud has three main types and three primary characteristics.

Types of Mud:

a. Type I (Bottomless Mud): This type of mud has a consistency that cannot support a vehicle with tires set at 20 pounds of pressure or has a hard layer deeper than the vehicle's ground clearance. This soft, unstable mud is difficult for vehicles and troops to traverse.

b. Type IIa (Cleaning Mud): This mud has a high enough moisture content to work as a liquid, making it easy to remove or wipe away. It is not sticky or viscous due to its high water content.

c. Type IIb (Adhesive Mud): This type of mud is highly adhesive, lacking any cleaning quality. It is not as deep as Type I mud but is still challenging for mechanized soldiers to navigate due to its stickiness.

Characteristics of Mud:

a. Softness: Found in all types of mud, softness is most associated with Type I mud because of its inability to support a vehicle. Soft mud can hinder the movement of troops and vehicles, slowing down military operations.

b. Adhesiveness: Sticky mud is most commonly found in Type I and Type IIb mud. Adhesive mud can attach itself to vehicles, weapons, and clothing, making it difficult for soldiers to move and maintain their equipment.

c. Lubricity: The final characteristic of mud is lubricity. None of mud’s types lay sole claim to mud’s slickness, although Type I mud may not seem as slippery as Type II. The degree of lubricity depends on having at least some mud atop a hard surface on which to slide; hence bottomless mud is not as slippery for combatants.

The fall rasputiza occurs due to increased rainfall, cooler winds, and an increase in low-pressure storms during autumn. These factors combine to create a soft, saturated soil that is prone to churning into mud. In contrast, the spring rasputiza is often worse because it is the result of large amounts of snowmelt combined with spring rains. This excess water further saturates the soil, creating muddy conditions that can persist for weeks.

The spring rasputiza occurs primarily due to the melting of accumulated snow from the winter season. As temperatures rise above freezing during the spring, snow melts, and the resulting water saturates the ground. This process is exacerbated by spring rains, which contribute additional moisture to the soil. The combination of snowmelt and rainfall creates the ideal conditions for the formation of mud in vast areas of the landscape.

During the spring rasputiza, Type I mud is more common due to the excessive moisture in the soil. This type of mud is characterized by its inability to support vehicles with tires set at 20 pounds of pressure, as it has a soft, unstable consistency that cannot support significant weight. Vehicles and troops attempting to move through Type I mud can easily become stuck or bogged down, making progress slow and laborious.

Type IIa mud is also present during the spring rasputiza. This type of mud has a high moisture content, which gives it a more liquid-like consistency. As a result, it is easier to remove or wipe away compared to other types of mud. However, its liquid nature can still create challenging conditions for movement, as it can reduce traction and increase the risk of slipping.

Type IIb mud is highly adhesive and lacks the cleaning quality of Type IIa mud. This type of mud is sticky and can cling to vehicles, equipment, and personnel. Although Type IIb mud may not be as prevalent during the spring rasputiza due to the higher moisture content in the soil, it can still be present and cause significant issues for military operations.

Effects on Armor and Mechanized Infantry Operations:

Impaired Mobility:
The presence of different types of mud during the spring rasputiza can greatly hinder the mobility of armored vehicles and mechanized infantry. Type I mud, with its bottomless quality, can easily trap vehicles and make it difficult for them to move. Type IIa and IIb mud, though not as deep, can still reduce traction and cause vehicles to become stuck or slip, slowing down their progress.

Increased Maintenance and Repair Needs:
The various types of mud can lead to increased wear and tear on vehicles and equipment, necessitating more frequent maintenance and repairs. Mud can clog engines, damage suspension systems, and impair the functionality of various components. As a result, units may need to spend more time on maintenance, reducing their overall combat effectiveness.

Hindered Resupply and Logistics:
The spring rasputiza can significantly impact the ability of military forces to resupply and support their forward units. The muddy conditions can slow down or halt the movement of supply trucks and other logistical vehicles, making it difficult to deliver essential supplies like fuel, ammunition, and food to the front lines.

Summary:

Seems like a bad time to be operating Leopard 2s, especially if you can't maintain them yourself.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gunther update, currently battling Serbian ultras

https://twitter.com/GunterFehlinger/status/1640802596549021727?cxt=HHwWvsC-nZXRpsUtAAAA

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ТАСС posted:

Acting deputy governors of the Bryansk region Elena Yegorova and Tatiana Kuleshova are detained on suspicion of taking bribes on a large scale, law enforcement agencies told us.
(from t.me/tass_agency/186059, via tgsa)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1641018564852195329

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

nice of the Russians to let them sit out in the open like this, I'm sure the Russians wont regret this when their next well-earned defeat happens.

nice of Ukraine to just tweet it out??

none of this makes sense from either side, stop worrying about it

but more importantly, nice 2S3M's, i like that one in war thunder

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

Poland is buying like 800 tanks for a land war that if it were to occur, would be about 30 minutes from the end of all civilisation

because they are stupid fucks

You fight in the armageddon you have not the armageddon you want.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

nice of Ukraine to just tweet it out??

Ukraine is fighting a war for western media consumption. It's important that they be seen staging for an offensive, even if those troops are in Lwow or somewhere safe, not actually within MRLS range of the fighting. It's the same reason why endlessly talking about those new tanks they definitely have combat ready, any day now, is not the most prudent military policy but great comms strategy for soliciting more support.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

beleiving everything you see on the internet like a boomer

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1641056684754755584

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Weka posted:

Another difference is the nazis wanted to kill every Russian west of the Urals so that probably positively impacted their ability to raise armies.

Yeah I buy this, thanks, also to Frosted Flake.

The Germans were 'just' kicked out not killed, although many died.

Oh look another political character whose family is from Galicia.
Well that's better than what they did/assented to. Really I'm not sure what to do in the end, as it seems any US examples of 'rebuilding' nations carried over a lot of fascists and sympathizers thereof (also known as fascists).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukraine is fighting a war for western media consumption. It's important that they be seen staging for an offensive, even if those troops are in Lwow or somewhere safe, not actually within MRLS range of the fighting. It's the same reason why endlessly talking about those new tanks they definitely have combat ready, any day now, is not the most prudent military policy but great comms strategy for soliciting more support.

well its working on Al-Saqr.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

what

is he congratulating himself or what?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Both sides are loudly proclaiming that the battle of Bakhmut is the most important battle of the whole war, Prigozhin seems more upbeat than usual despite saying that this battle has essentially suicided Wagner to enable a larger Russian victory:-

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1641043528284266496?s=20

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
"My job is super important," says Guy talking about his job.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm no mud expert, but I went through the key points in the mud book:

Mud has three main types and three primary characteristics.

Types of Mud:

a. Type I (Bottomless Mud): This type of mud has a consistency that cannot support a vehicle with tires set at 20 pounds of pressure or has a hard layer deeper than the vehicle's ground clearance. This soft, unstable mud is difficult for vehicles and troops to traverse.

b. Type IIa (Cleaning Mud): This mud has a high enough moisture content to work as a liquid, making it easy to remove or wipe away. It is not sticky or viscous due to its high water content.

c. Type IIb (Adhesive Mud): This type of mud is highly adhesive, lacking any cleaning quality. It is not as deep as Type I mud but is still challenging for mechanized soldiers to navigate due to its stickiness.

Characteristics of Mud:

a. Softness: Found in all types of mud, softness is most associated with Type I mud because of its inability to support a vehicle. Soft mud can hinder the movement of troops and vehicles, slowing down military operations.

b. Adhesiveness: Sticky mud is most commonly found in Type I and Type IIb mud. Adhesive mud can attach itself to vehicles, weapons, and clothing, making it difficult for soldiers to move and maintain their equipment.

c. Lubricity: The final characteristic of mud is lubricity. None of mud’s types lay sole claim to mud’s slickness, although Type I mud may not seem as slippery as Type II. The degree of lubricity depends on having at least some mud atop a hard surface on which to slide; hence bottomless mud is not as slippery for combatants.

The fall rasputiza occurs due to increased rainfall, cooler winds, and an increase in low-pressure storms during autumn. These factors combine to create a soft, saturated soil that is prone to churning into mud. In contrast, the spring rasputiza is often worse because it is the result of large amounts of snowmelt combined with spring rains. This excess water further saturates the soil, creating muddy conditions that can persist for weeks.

The spring rasputiza occurs primarily due to the melting of accumulated snow from the winter season. As temperatures rise above freezing during the spring, snow melts, and the resulting water saturates the ground. This process is exacerbated by spring rains, which contribute additional moisture to the soil. The combination of snowmelt and rainfall creates the ideal conditions for the formation of mud in vast areas of the landscape.

During the spring rasputiza, Type I mud is more common due to the excessive moisture in the soil. This type of mud is characterized by its inability to support vehicles with tires set at 20 pounds of pressure, as it has a soft, unstable consistency that cannot support significant weight. Vehicles and troops attempting to move through Type I mud can easily become stuck or bogged down, making progress slow and laborious.

Type IIa mud is also present during the spring rasputiza. This type of mud has a high moisture content, which gives it a more liquid-like consistency. As a result, it is easier to remove or wipe away compared to other types of mud. However, its liquid nature can still create challenging conditions for movement, as it can reduce traction and increase the risk of slipping.

Type IIb mud is highly adhesive and lacks the cleaning quality of Type IIa mud. This type of mud is sticky and can cling to vehicles, equipment, and personnel. Although Type IIb mud may not be as prevalent during the spring rasputiza due to the higher moisture content in the soil, it can still be present and cause significant issues for military operations.

Effects on Armor and Mechanized Infantry Operations:

Impaired Mobility:
The presence of different types of mud during the spring rasputiza can greatly hinder the mobility of armored vehicles and mechanized infantry. Type I mud, with its bottomless quality, can easily trap vehicles and make it difficult for them to move. Type IIa and IIb mud, though not as deep, can still reduce traction and cause vehicles to become stuck or slip, slowing down their progress.

Increased Maintenance and Repair Needs:
The various types of mud can lead to increased wear and tear on vehicles and equipment, necessitating more frequent maintenance and repairs. Mud can clog engines, damage suspension systems, and impair the functionality of various components. As a result, units may need to spend more time on maintenance, reducing their overall combat effectiveness.

Hindered Resupply and Logistics:
The spring rasputiza can significantly impact the ability of military forces to resupply and support their forward units. The muddy conditions can slow down or halt the movement of supply trucks and other logistical vehicles, making it difficult to deliver essential supplies like fuel, ammunition, and food to the front lines.

Summary:

Seems like a bad time to be operating Leopard 2s, especially if you can't maintain them yourself.

i am not an expert on pokemon

B U T

here is an list of different types and how they affect each other

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Frantically scrolling away from that FF post to avoid mud related spoilers as I just had that book arrive in the mail

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
interview with an interesting dude who went into the donbass. some poo poo in there about the atlanta's cop city in there too (the guy is a class traitor from the richest family in the area)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItmNV1W6aFI

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
german tanks would never get stuck in the mud in eastern europe no sir

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Both sides are loudly proclaiming that the battle of Bakhmut is the most important battle of the whole war, Prigozhin seems more upbeat than usual despite saying that this battle has essentially suicided Wagner to enable a larger Russian victory:-

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1641043528284266496?s=20

It's getting really on the nose that Prigozhin is playing a character

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pirogzhin made his name on Bakhmut.

It might have been bad for Wagner but it's been amazing for Prigozhin.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

OctaMurk posted:

german tanks would never get stuck in the mud in eastern europe no sir

How does the ground pressure of the Leopard / Leo 2 compare to the German Big Cats?

We've seen the muddy track that's the only lifeline into Bakmut, I can't imagine Spring Awakening 2 will be able to make much headway.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If the internet is to be believed then the ground pressure of leopard 1s and leopard 2s actually is comparable to t-72s, maybe the leopard 2s larger size distributes its larger weight more ?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1641085312632774659

Huh, wonder if they use machine translation for their poo poo. Deepl also translated Rosgvardia to federal guards.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

air defence systems wouldnt have worked against a homicide truck bomb

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one imagines that if they really are going to try to relieve bakhmut, they'll do so by hitting the russian pincers directly rather than try and reinforce the city itself and then break out. still seems like a very dicey prospect

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

How does the ground pressure of the Leopard / Leo 2 compare to the German Big Cats?

We've seen the muddy track that's the only lifeline into Bakmut, I can't imagine Spring Awakening 2 will be able to make much headway.

https://www.mathscinotes.com/2016/06/tank-track-ground-pressure-examples/

See table for ground pressure example. The Leo 2 is supposed to have lower pressure than the big cats and a lot of other tanks.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The leopard cannot get stuck in mud because it has superior german engineering.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the leo2 is as far as i can tell a good tank. the issue for ukraine is that 1) they're getting very old vehicles from several countries and 2) they don't have any institutional expertise in using these particular tanks

i expect that ukrainian tank crews have been training in leo2s for several months, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but commanders and rear area personnel will have real trouble with keeping them in the field and using them to their potential - in addition to many of these specific vehicles probably being fairly prone to mechanical failures of various kinds due to being jalopies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
wtf i love leopard 2s now

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

tazjin posted:

ethnic cleansing is kinda like pointer arithmetic in that way

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They found a thing near the Nord Stream 2 explosion site.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

They found a thing near the Nord Stream 2 explosion site.

so what is this hunk of metal meant to be?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

air defence systems wouldnt have worked against a homicide truck bomb

i presume it’s a translation error? unless there was a drone involved that was never reported

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the other thing about that list of ground pressure is that you wouldn't otherwise be able to tell that there's been decades of separation between "Tiger tanks" and "Leopard tanks" because apparently it's still fine for democracy-loving Germany to still be using naming conventions established by Hitler???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

so what is this hunk of metal meant to be?

Initial analysis says its a smoke buoy.