Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cruft posted:

Do you mean rclone? Did rsync ever work with drive?

ah yeah that’s what I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

Do you mean rclone? Did rsync ever work with drive?

The YouTube i linked uses rsync for drive i think?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I want to finally get e-mail away from data grabbing companies. I want SMTP and IMAP and that's it. A webmail interface is optional. I want something that's secure, easy to configure and can be run across multiple servers for redundancy. Is there anything like this out there? I don't want to manually maintain a postfix config or anything like that. I'm willing to pay for a solution, that's not an issue. But I really would love to just do something myself, configure servers and domains and be done with it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Don't host your own email.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Aware posted:

Don't host your own email.

Stop parroting this phrase. You can perfectly well host mail given the right circumstances.

But the OP doesn't want to maintain a postfix config so I'm not sure it's for him.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SEKCobra posted:

I want to finally get e-mail away from data grabbing companies. I want SMTP and IMAP and that's it. A webmail interface is optional. I want something that's secure, easy to configure and can be run across multiple servers for redundancy. Is there anything like this out there? I don't want to manually maintain a postfix config or anything like that. I'm willing to pay for a solution, that's not an issue. But I really would love to just do something myself, configure servers and domains and be done with it.

icloud

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you don't mind paying I'd just go with fast mail.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SEKCobra posted:

ProtonMail (not self-hosted) will work for you. They are Switzerland based and have an **extremely** strict privacy policy. Their entire selling point is their focus on not data mining their clients.

They have a free tier which you can use their apps and web clients, but if you want SMTP/IMAP support you'll need to pay for a sub and self-host a ProtonMail bridge.

IMO, you shouldn't self-host your email (a bridge like proton mail is doing is fine). You're liable to get blocked by other email providers, or miss emails if your server goes down since you can't maintain 99.9999% uptime like a professional provider. Email is one of those things that I expect to have near 100% uptime personally.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 25, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
A few jobs ago I worked as a sys admin at a place that hosted mail. It sucked. There a dozens of blacklists and you can find yourself on one simply by being ip neighbors with spammers or because someone looked at you wrong. And good luck getting off the blacklists. Half of them have no procedure for removal and the other half have a procedure and will take a year to look at your request and another year to take action.

Maybe it's better now or when you're not hosting a bunch of other users, but as far as I'm concerned I agree with never host your own email.

Plus email is something you usually want to work all the time.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I host my own email. I originally set it up just to see what it was like, and I still use it for nonessential stuff. I need to stress that i don't rely on it for anything even remotely important for the reasons others have mentioned. I'm probably going to get rid of it at some point.

If you want to just give it a go without doing helps of config faff, try mail-in-a-box. I haven't used it but it looks like it automates most of the setup stuff. If it's a huge fail then at least you haven't spent hours and hours setting everything up by hand.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nitrousoxide posted:

ProtonMail (not self-hosted) will work for you. They are Switzerland based and have an **extremely** strict privacy policy. Their entire selling point is their focus on not data mining their clients.

They have a free tier which you can use their apps and web clients, but if you want SMTP/IMAP support you'll need to pay for a sub and self-host a ProtonMail bridge.

IMO, you shouldn't self-host your email (a bridge like proton mail is doing is fine). You're liable to get blocked by other email providers, or miss emails if your server goes down since you can't maintain 99.9999% uptime like a professional provider. Email is one of those things that I expect to have near 100% uptime personally.

Proton is way to proprietary for me, their bridge is an absolute nogo for me.

Also, I professionally hosted mails at my last job, it's not that daunting if you know what you are doing, but I want a software solution that isn't about administrating itself all day.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Buck Turgidson posted:

I host my own email. I originally set it up just to see what it was like, and I still use it for nonessential stuff. I need to stress that i don't rely on it for anything even remotely important for the reasons others have mentioned. I'm probably going to get rid of it at some point.

If you want to just give it a go without doing helps of config faff, try mail-in-a-box. I haven't used it but it looks like it automates most of the setup stuff. If it's a huge fail then at least you haven't spent hours and hours setting everything up by hand.

I have set up poste.io and it's pretty good, but I would like a solution that can work across multiple servers.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Automate it with Ansible? That's what I'd reach for.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neslepaks posted:

Stop parroting this phrase. You can perfectly well host mail given the right circumstances.

But the OP doesn't want to maintain a postfix config so I'm not sure it's for him.
Those circumstances include somehow getting an IP address that 1) isn't already in a blacklist and 2) keeping it out of any blacklist, while you're trying to learn how to run a mailserver.
This is further complicated by the risk of someone who's got their mail hosted at Microsoft or Google, or whose mail passes through their servers ending up placing a flag on your mail for whatever reason (could be an accident, could be malicious - but it doesn't matter).

Sure, it's technically possible - but for anyone who isn't already hosting their own, getting started today is worse than finding a needle in a haystack, because at least there you can theoretically rig up a huge-rear end magnet.
Or a huge rear end-magnet. You do you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

IMO, I wouldn't want a job offer or 2-factor auth to get lost with a self-hosted email instance. IMO, paying the 5 bucks a month for ProtonMail or some other privacy respecting service is very much worth it if you don't want to use free Gmail et al.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just remember that ProtonMail is still required to comply with Swiss law - and that that's true for any company in any country with any such laws, which is most of them including places like the Seychelles where it didn't used to be the case.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nitrousoxide posted:

IMO, I wouldn't want a job offer or 2-factor auth to get lost with a self-hosted email instance. IMO, paying the 5 bucks a month for ProtonMail or some other privacy respecting service is very much worth it if you don't want to use free Gmail et al.

this

hosting mail is a royal pain in the rear end

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just remember that ProtonMail is still required to comply with Swiss law - and that that's true for any company in any country with any such laws, which is most of them including places like the Seychelles where it didn't used to be the case.

I mean sure lol. If you self-host you also have to comply with your local law too. There's nothing unique about this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e.pilot posted:

this

hosting mail is a royal pain in the rear end

I'd been considering trying to run my own mail server again, and it's encouraging to read that, actually, it's every bit as horrible as I thought it might be.

I was saying back in 2009 (when I was the SMTP administrator for a pretty large site) that email was irreparably broken. It seems like since then it's become this horrible mess that only big players with volumnous and well-paid staff can play in. I have yet to read any even modestly competent admin write something that convinces me otherwise. Actually, it seems like nobody's even trying to convince me: everybody's saying "yeah, it's awful".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean sure lol. If you self-host you also have to comply with your local law too. There's nothing unique about this.
Sure, it's just there used to be a kind of kayfabe around ProtonMail and ProtonVPN about them not logging IPs among all manner of other things.
Then it turned out that ProtonMail did log IPs, and also complied with French police so that the latter could deanonymize a French climate activist.

It's interesting that some people will absolutely buy into the notion that a company doesn't log IPs, when this implicitly means that the company will be on the hook for any criminal actions that someone using their service could do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
if you really want to host your own mail, I think you can use googles mail forwarding service you get when you register a domain with them, but that defeats the purpose of being removed from google

I haven’t tried because…why bother

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

cruft posted:

I'd been considering trying to run my own mail server again, and it's encouraging to read that, actually, it's every bit as horrible as I thought it might be.

I was saying back in 2009 (when I was the SMTP administrator for a pretty large site) that email was irreparably broken. It seems like since then it's become this horrible mess that only big players with volumnous and well-paid staff can play in. I have yet to read any even modestly competent admin write something that convinces me otherwise. Actually, it seems like nobody's even trying to convince me: everybody's saying "yeah, it's awful".

Like I mentioned before, I was running email for a large-ish provider for about 7 years and honestly the deliverability side is not as horrible as "never host your own eMail" people make it out to be. The main issue you have is wrong setups and allowing people to use your servers (as relay) any way they want. Personally I enforce hard SPF and DMARC rules. This and a DKIM signature throws you forward by a lot. People who complain about eMail being hard are often the same people that have run SPF at ~all since it was introduced.
What makes it all hard is dealing with spam and dealing with users. You'll probably never manage to catch as much spam as gmail, so if that's your main thing you'll want to stick with a provider that has millions of mails scanned and can do pattern recognition across all of them.

Self-Hosting for me means I don't have to service any users. Spam I can manage. The thing I don't want to do for myself is baby a server and it's config, I want something I can set and forget for the most part and just update once in a while. The project poste.io I mentioned before gets pretty close to that, but I do want some redundancy as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

e.pilot posted:

if you really want to host your own mail, I think you can use googles mail forwarding service you get when you register a domain with them, but that defeats the purpose of being removed from google

I haven’t tried because…why bother
That last part is something that's been true for at least a decade.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

SEKCobra posted:

Like I mentioned before, I was running email for a large-ish provider for about 7 years and honestly the deliverability side is not as horrible as "never host your own eMail" people make it out to be. The main issue you have is wrong setups and allowing people to use your servers (as relay) any way they want. Personally I enforce hard SPF and DMARC rules. This and a DKIM signature throws you forward by a lot. People who complain about eMail being hard are often the same people that have run SPF at ~all since it was introduced.
What makes it all hard is dealing with spam and dealing with users. You'll probably never manage to catch as much spam as gmail, so if that's your main thing you'll want to stick with a provider that has millions of mails scanned and can do pattern recognition across all of them.

Self-Hosting for me means I don't have to service any users. Spam I can manage. The thing I don't want to do for myself is baby a server and it's config, I want something I can set and forget for the most part and just update once in a while. The project poste.io I mentioned before gets pretty close to that, but I do want some redundancy as well.

Agreed to all of this. I host my own email for my personal use and it's really not all that hard.

1. Make absolutely drat sure you don't have any way for people to use it as a relay.
2. Configure SPF and DKIM properly and set up a DMARC entry in your DNS. Make drat sure it's all set up to hardfail.
3. If you want higher uptime, set up a second mx server with a lower priority that stores mail and forwards it to your main server. Make absolutely sure it's not configured to send bounce emails since that's been exploited to send backscatter spam.
4. do some legwork to get your outgoing IPs off of whatever RBLs they've landed on in the past 30 years - it's usually as simple as sending an email to the administrator of the RBL solemnly swearing that you didn't control the server at that IP back then and won't send spam now. If any RBL (*cough* UCEPROTECT *cough*) asks for money to delist or whitelist it's an extortion scam and should be ignored.
5. Install fail2ban and configure it to aggressively IP ban failed SMTP logins and attempts to deliver to invalid hosts.
6. Remind your friends with email hosted with google and microsoft to check their spam box after you email them for a few months - the more obviously not spam email that gets marked "not spam" by real users, the less likely it is that it'll get marked spam automatically in the future.

There are also turnkey solutions that you can use like iRedMail or Mail in a Box. They save you from having to dive deep into postfix and spamassassin configs to get a working setup but may be a bit more difficult to harden.

In all it took me like a week of real effort to build my mailservers from bare metal, including writing a little tool for managing user accounts and aliases and syncing them between servers, but since then it's just been logging in to update/reboot every once in a while.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quick question RE: Argo tunnels

Currently im using it for Overseerr. Chain is as follows:

Overseerr (http, 5055) -> NginxProxyManager (https, using CF origin cert) -> cloudflared tunnel -> Internet

I kind of want to simplify things here, can I remove NPM and CF takes care of the SSL for the endpoint?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick question RE: Argo tunnels

Currently im using it for Overseerr. Chain is as follows:

Overseerr (http, 5055) -> NginxProxyManager (https, using CF origin cert) -> cloudflared tunnel -> Internet

I kind of want to simplify things here, can I remove NPM and CF takes care of the SSL for the endpoint?

Unless you only have one service you're exposing to the internet and can route the 80/443 port from the internet directly to it with your network's router, you'll need a reverse proxy like NPM to handle the SSL routing in your network. It will look at the domain headers from incoming requests and send them to the appropriate location. Your router won't do that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Unless you only have one service you're exposing to the internet and can route the 80/443 port from the internet directly to it with your network's router, you'll need a reverse proxy like NPM to handle the SSL routing in your network. It will look at the domain headers from incoming requests and send them to the appropriate location. Your router won't do that.

The tunnel exposes it out. I want to avoid as many open ports as possible on my home connection.

I had originally put NPM in-between cloudflared and overseerr to ensure all traffic was encrypted but on further research, anything inside the tunnel is encrypted. I just changed my yml config to go directly from cloudflared to overseerr and CF forces SSL and everything looks good. I even used the Qualys ssl test site to check the URL and all traffic is encrypted.

I guess I just needed some rubber ducky debugging here.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
i host my own email on a VPS, i use apiscp to set up the server.

it has been a little struggle but the apiscp team has been great with support. i would shell out the money and use dreamhost instead.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What's everyone using for photos? What would you recommend I run on my Raspberry Pi, with three users, one outside the LAN?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I briefly considered self hosting my own 'Google photos' but then I realized I don't want to be responsible for that. I prefer to self host poo poo I don't care about and I'll pay Google to host my photos. Though I am considering exporting then from Google photos to s3 since Google can't be trusted to keep their products alive

To answer your question though your options are

https://github.com/immich-app/immich
Or
https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a synology NAS so I use their photo app, which works pretty well and has facial recognition. I still mirror to iCloud, though. The storage is cheap and it seems like photos are worth going overboard on in terms of backups.

Immich is the hot app right now, though. I haven’t tried it but what I’ve read makes it sound like it’s gonna be awesome.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I currently use Nextcloud photos. It's acceptable, though not as good as google photos. They added some entity and object recognition in the last few months and its... okay I guess? If I had some way to define the sets of files I want it to troll through and run on that would be nice since currently it just runs on *all* the photos in your library unless you add dot files explicitly exempting that folder from it. And ain't no way I'm maintaining something as manual as that. Because of that the object recognition is spammed with tons of garbage photos I didn't take with my camera but happen to be in my drive, and it's basically useless.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

cruft posted:

What's everyone using for photos? What would you recommend I run on my Raspberry Pi, with three users, one outside the LAN?

I’m backing up to a server that lives in my shed via duplicati, but also back up to google drive because photos are too important to gently caress around with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cruft posted:

https://github.com/awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted#photo-and-video-galleries

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, it's just there used to be a kind of kayfabe around ProtonMail and ProtonVPN about them not logging IPs among all manner of other things.
Then it turned out that ProtonMail did log IPs, and also complied with French police so that the latter could deanonymize a French climate activist.

It's interesting that some people will absolutely buy into the notion that a company doesn't log IPs, when this implicitly means that the company will be on the hook for any criminal actions that someone using their service could do.

I went with Tutanota instead of Protonmail in part for this reason - they actively fought in court when asked to MITM one of their users (a drug dealer iirc), and they were very open about the outcome of the trial (they can be compelled by German courts to log unencrypted emails, but not to backdoor their E2E clients as the prosecutor asked).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I went with Tutanota instead of Protonmail in part for this reason - they actively fought in court when asked to MITM one of their users (a drug dealer iirc), and they were very open about the outcome of the trial (they can be compelled by German courts to log unencrypted emails, but not to backdoor their E2E clients as the prosecutor asked).

IIRC, Tutanota has had issues with getting blocked by major providers as a valid signup email. So keep that in mind as a potential limitation of its viability as a primary email.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/04/tutanota-cries-antitrust-foul-over-microsoft-teams-blocking-sign-ups-for-its-email-users/

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use iCloud, Immich, and Lightroom (free 1TB with my uni alumni email… indefinitely hopefully?)

I’m too cheap to pay for Google Photos and don’t like that they compress them with the free tier.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tell me more about this Lightroom/storage stuff from your university.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Huh, I just discovered that Podman recently merged quadlet in 4.4.0 which simplifies the process for generating the systemd files for spinning up/updating the containers. You can setup the quadlet config file for the container in question using a syntax that's a mix of systemd and podman/docker run and then just do "systemctl daemon-reload" (or "systemctl daemon-reload --user" for rootless) and "systemctl start {service}" or "systemctl stop {service}" and it'll spin it up/down. If you add the right labels like
code:
 io.containers.autoupdate=registry
it'll also support the "podman auto-update" command to let you update all your containers with one command.

A simple redis container's file would look like this:

code:
[Unit]
Description=Redis container

[Container]
Image=docker.io/redis
PublishPort=6379:6379
User999
Label=io.containers.autoupdate=registry

[Service]
Restart=always

[Install]
# Start by default on boot
WantedBy=multi-user.target default.target
and goes in ~/.config/containers/systemd/redis.container

which would start on boot (and login, unless you set linger, in which case no login is required)

Way easier than the "podman generate systemd" before which required a half dozen steps per container to get it setup as a systemd service.

A neat thing you could do too is keep your {container}.container files in a github repo or whatever and just git clone that into ~/.config/containers/systemd/ on a new system install, reload your systemd daemons and bam all your services are up and running again in minutes with 2 commands.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nitrousoxide posted:

IIRC, Tutanota has had issues with getting blocked by major providers as a valid signup email. So keep that in mind as a potential limitation of its viability as a primary email.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/04/tutanota-cries-antitrust-foul-over-microsoft-teams-blocking-sign-ups-for-its-email-users/

I have a MS account with a Tutanota-hosted email, but I also use my own domain, so that's probably only an issue with the free @tuta.io addresses.

By the way, that was another reason for going with TN, they have one of the lowest prices for using your own domain (like 12€/y I think). If you don't self-host, I think using a personal domain is super important and a good compromise, as it will let you switch providers in a minute.

To complete the picture, IMO the biggest downsides of TN which you should know about are:

1) Mass exporting your emails is still on the roadmap after four years. There is a hacky third-party tool, and you can export individual mails just fine, but that's still a pretty important thing to leave on the backburner

2) Search is on local emails only (inevitable unless they figure out homeomorphic encryption) and fairly slow

3) No SMTP bridge at all, so no way to use Outlook or Thunderbird. I didn't care about this at all, but I know some people have cherished email client setups. Note that all TN clients are FOSS (and they hope to eventually open source their server software as well).