Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

you have to do Riven legit if you wanna cope about RoNs difficulty, I've decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Buddy, you have no idea how much it loving annoys me that I've never been able to convince five other people to do a legit Riven one time in five years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GoS owns more people should have Divinity I am over being the Divinity guy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Finally picked up Witherhoard. It’s cool, but the very specific play style of “shoot ground, swap to primary/heavy, wait 5 seconds, repeat” seems like it might get old quickly. Clearly need the catalyst so I’m not reloading non-stop.

I hate PvP, so the 100 guardian kills is a big lift. Can I just use any grenade launcher, or does it have to be Witherhoard specifically? If I can use any I may work on the Fighting Lion catalyst at the same time.

I’m going to unlock some more Ascendant Shards through reputation soon, so I may go for Outbreak Perfected next. I’d like Tarrabah, but I don’t raid and it needs like 250 Spoils of Conquest.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Okay but can King's Fall be solo'd. Can I solo King's Fall,

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Legit Riven looks dumb "stand over there," "remember which eye to shoot" they have played us for fools

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

Don't.....VoG and DSC already fill that role, then?

yes, but that's a separate problem: while they are the easier raids, they're not recent, so not everyone wants to run them because [veteran players have already farmed all of the gear they want / the raid does not give pinnacle rewards / the raid gives reduced Spoils of Conquest rewards]. old raids are generally not worth the time unless they're in the rotator, which is getting less common as more raids are added. bungie is going to have to figure out something pretty soon to make old raid content worth doing because this half-and-half situation is not working out for anyone

Oxyclean posted:

Meanwhile barely anyone wants to touch GoS because the last boss is such a pain in the dick. (And the loot is not great, but that's a bit beside the point)

i would immediately start caring about GoS if its loot became craftable tbh. but yeah the final encounter is buggy and lovely and the challenge for it sucks so fuckin bad

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Finally picked up Witherhoard. It’s cool, but the very specific play style of “shoot ground, swap to primary/heavy, wait 5 seconds, repeat” seems like it might get old quickly. Clearly need the catalyst so I’m not reloading non-stop.

I hate PvP, so the 100 guardian kills is a big lift. Can I just use any grenade launcher, or does it have to be Witherhoard specifically? If I can use any I may work on the Fighting Lion catalyst at the same time.

I’m going to unlock some more Ascendant Shards through reputation soon, so I may go for Outbreak Perfected next. I’d like Tarrabah, but I don’t raid and it needs like 250 Spoils of Conquest.

It can be any launcher for the catalyst, yeah. Waveframe GLs are good for PVP.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

like holy poo poo if i could get a craftable Accrued Redemption (precision frames w/ drawtime perks poo poo on lightweights so bad, filthy recurve go home) or Sacred Provenance (if they re-release this without the snapshot/rangefinder roll i will cry) or Reckless Oracle (rapid fire with the utterly memetic roll of mulligan/triple tap, reload never no matter what you're doing) i would loving live in Garden until i got those patterns.

but that's just not the case. GoS sucks too bad for me to care about suffering through RNG to get guns worth a poo poo

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

i would immediately start caring about GoS if its loot became craftable tbh. but yeah the final encounter is buggy and lovely and the challenge for it sucks so fuckin bad
Yeah, I'll almost certainly be doing weekly GoS and LW once they refresh the weapons and add crafting, but TBH both instill a small amount of dread for just being tougher/more timing consuming raids where I can't really stick the new guy on an easy role consistently. (And I don't have that much experience in GoS personally)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

JamesJBuffalkill posted:

Sorry to distract from all the high level/end game chat, but are there any particular goon clans for newer players? Been playing for a few weeks and realized this game was missing goons.

My mans, check out pg 1 of this very thread! We love helping new lights!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

Meanwhile barely anyone wants to touch GoS because the last boss is such a pain in the dick. (And the loot is not great, but that's a bit beside the point)

The loot being bad is absolutely not besides the point for one thing, it's the main reason nobody gives a gently caress about GoS. The other reason is that it's buggy as gently caress. If the tethers and motes actually worked right, that boss fight would be loving awesome and one of the best in the series, it's super creative and exciting. It's unfortunate that the tether just not working very clearly made Bungie shy away from anything more complicated than "stand here and tell the team what thing is where and occasionally throw a thing."

Oxyclean posted:

Legit Riven looks dumb "stand over there," "remember which eye to shoot" they have played us for fools

It's a little too talk-y, but I think the idea of chipping away at a raid boss a bit at a time as you ascend its giant dragon tower instead of during the designated "break its immunity, then stand here for 20 seconds" stuff was a really cool idea. The main "DPS phase" being done as you fall from the top of the area back down to the bottom and Riven's shooting giant axion darts at you in response is sick as gently caress.

Kith posted:

yes, but that's a separate problem: while they are the easier raids, they're not recent, so not everyone wants to run them because [veteran players have already farmed all of the gear they want / the raid does not give pinnacle rewards / the raid gives reduced Spoils of Conquest rewards]. old raids are generally not worth the time unless they're in the rotator, which is getting less common as more raids are added. bungie is going to have to figure out something pretty soon to make old raid content worth doing because this half-and-half situation is not working out for anyone

I dunno that I agree that the concept of "some raids should be easier to give entry level players a way to ease into the concept of raiding " automatically feeds into "also, veteran players who have already played those raids to completion need to be given active incentive to participate besides what's already there in the rotator and spoils." because if it's an entry level raid, why do veterans need to be there? But even if that were the case and the solution was to make the new raid an entry level raid every year or two, I'm pretty sure RoN fails to meet that mark. DSC is a more forgiving experience, but it still makes the entire team do stuff.

I mean, I kinda love DSC. The final boss is a little easy, but the 2nd and 3rd encounter are really loving cool and the 3rd encounter is pretty strict that at some point, you gotta do somethin'. Most of the jobs in RoN are just mulching Shadow Legion with your primary.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 29, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Root is great because it's a fun raid that can be completed in a reasonable amount of time with mechanics that are challenging for both new and veteran players :)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

The loot being bad is absolutely not besides the point for one thing, it's the main reason nobody gives a gently caress about GoS. The other reason is that it's buggy as gently caress. If the tethers and motes actually worked right, that boss fight would be loving awesome and one of the best in the series, it's super creative and exciting. It's unfortunate that the tether just not working very clearly made Bungie shy away from anything more complicated than "stand here and tell the team what thing is where and occasionally throw a thing."
What I mean is if someone posts up an LFG on the discord or says "hey I haven't done <x> raid yet" the enthusiasm to help that person/fill up that LFG seems to drop off for GoS and LW, and I feel like loot is a small part of that. But you're right, the quirky/buggyness of that last fight is part of the problem.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think if Bungie refreshed the GoS loot and made it craftable without changing anything about the raid, there'd be a brief spark of interest, but nowhere near the sustained interest people have in, say, the new DSC loot. People would get sick of how finicky the tethers are all over again real quick so, yeah, fair point.

Anyway, bring back Spire of Stars.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

You can also double-dip damage by hitting once with a direct hit, and once to create a blight pool on the ground. Both damages tick together in that case. Really useful for burning down bosses, particularly as you can keep damaging while only occasionally leaving cover.

In PvP a direct hit is a guaranteed (eventual) kill even against an opponent in a roaming super. But blighting control points or heavy ammo spawns is great tactically and a great kill farm. Momentum Control especially it gets people very easily.

Turgid Flagella
Mar 18, 2023

Hobnob posted:

You can also double-dip damage by hitting once with a direct hit, and once to create a blight pool on the ground. Both damages tick together in that case. Really useful for burning down bosses, particularly as you can keep damaging while only occasionally leaving cover.

In PvP a direct hit is a guaranteed (eventual) kill even against an opponent in a roaming super. But blighting control points or heavy ammo spawns is great tactically and a great kill farm. Momentum Control especially it gets people very easily.

they do love standing in the blight to cap a point

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

I dunno that I agree that the concept of "some raids should be easier to give entry level players a way to ease into the concept of raiding " automatically feeds into "also, veteran players who have already played those raids to completion need to be given active incentive to participate besides what's already there in the rotator and spoils." because if it's an entry level raid, why do veterans need to be there? But even if that were the case and the solution was to make the new raid an entry level raid every year or two, I'm pretty sure RoN fails to meet that mark. DSC is a more forgiving experience, but it still makes the entire team do stuff.

I mean, I kinda love DSC. The final boss is a little easy, but the 2nd and 3rd encounter are really loving cool and the 3rd encounter is pretty strict that at some point, you gotta do somethin'. Most of the jobs in RoN are just mulching Shadow Legion with your primary.

most raids in destiny feature mechanics that lack an intuitive explanation, which in turn encourages veteran instruction rather than blind team learning. on top of that, almost all of destiny's raids are deliberately designed to have tiers of participation that players can work up through as they become more familiar with the encounters and the mechanics within, allowing them to ease into more complex roles that might seem overwhelming at first. almost every aspect of destiny's raids are designed to enable the community to teach itself.

the problem is that bungie put limitations on how lucrative this can be for veteran players. relevant rewards eventually run out, and even the special currency that they can use to buy other rewards that ARE relevant is limited unless the raid is in rotation. FF14 solves this with the Mentor System showering veteran players with exclusive rewards for teaching newbies on top of the always-relevant rewards that they get from doing the activity, but destiny does not have any such system outside of some sherpa emblems that very few players actually use.

the result of all this is that bungie occasionally needs to put out easy raids to entice a new generation of newbies to at least try raiding. vow and king's fall were considered to be moderately difficult (though king's fall had significantly fewer pain points because it was a D1 raid and therefore came pre-solved), so root eased up on the throttle.

now, do i think root is TOO easy? absolutely. they simultaneously relied on tormentors too much and too little - they're supposed to be this big scary roadblock that significantly complicates matters and interferes with the mechanics team, so you need a dedicated add-clear team to deal with them so the your teammates don't get grabbed by the ghoulies.

except tormentors only show up one and a half times, and even then they're complete non-threats because they're encountered in wide open areas with no later boss DPS so you can blow heavy on them without having to consider ammo conservation.

root's lack of complexity could be fixed by adding tormentors to every encounter. suddenly poo poo gets real spicy and you've gotta make some real hard choices on how much ammo you're spending to deal with these fuckers.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Momentum Control is up this week and makes this step not so bad, since wave frames and witherhoard itself are great in it.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

MJeff posted:

I think if Bungie refreshed the GoS loot and made it craftable without changing anything about the raid, there'd be a brief spark of interest, but nowhere near the sustained interest people have in, say, the new DSC loot. People would get sick of how finicky the tethers are all over again real quick so, yeah, fair point.

Anyway, bring back Spire of Stars.

I will drag as many LFGs kicking and screaming to the finish line as I need to to get destabilizing rounds reckless oracle

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

MJeff posted:

Buddy, you have no idea how much it loving annoys me that I've never been able to convince five other people to do a legit Riven one time in five years.

I too have never done it legit and would like to just to say I have.

e: Also I never had problems with the last encounter of garden but we also had a rule of stay on your loving side for the love of God do not loving come over here I loving swear I will kill you myself.

I have never had a raid in this game I don't like at all. Pretty sure I enjoyed every encounter I've run. Pretty sure I have brain damage.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 29, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I did legit riven once with an LFG and it ruled, but I'll probably never do it again unless I'm sherpaing people or they add some kind of reward to it (which I think they should), it's fun but it's suuuper long

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's a question. If you could pick any raid, including a DCVed one or one of the two remaining D1 raids, to get a loot refresh and craftable loot, which would it be.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

MJeff posted:

Here's a question. If you could pick any raid, including a DCVed one or one of the two remaining D1 raids, to get a loot refresh and craftable loot, which would it be.

I played post-DCV so I'd say Wrath or Leviathan just cause those are the two that interest me most aesthetically

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd be stunned if Wrath isn't coming back this year, so you're in for a treat there, at least. A lot of people still consider it the best raid ever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

I'm a bit confused how to answer - as mentioned, we're all assuming Wrath is probably gonna be this year's reprised raid, and they are already planning to give origin trait/loot refresh/craftable treatment to the existing raids, it's just a matter of order, with us mostly presuming it will happen in seasons without other raids (so one next season, then one in S23)

Do you just mean which raid do we want to bring into/bring back into D2? (With the assumption it'd get the same treatment as other reprised raids) - again, assuming Wrath is already a lock, probably Scourge of the Past. While I didn't get to do Spire, Eater or Crown of Sorrows, I only did Scourge once, it was cool, lots of other people seem to like it, and while I don't recall the weapons from it being particularly hyped, they were styled after Black Armory.

In terms of which existing raid I want craftable weapons the most? Probably VoG, but GoS and LW need the refresh more.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I'm a bit confused how to answer - as mentioned, we're all assuming Wrath is probably gonna be this year's reprised raid, and they are already planning to give origin trait/loot refresh/craftable treatment to the existing raids, it's just a matter of order, with us mostly presuming it will happen in seasons without other raids (so one next season, then one in S23)

Do you just mean which raid do we want to bring into/bring back into D2? (With the assumption it'd get the same treatment as other reprised raids) - again, assuming Wrath is already a lock, probably Scourge of the Past. While I didn't get to do Spire, Eater or Crown of Sorrows, I only did Scourge once, it was cool, lots of other people seem to like it, and while I don't recall the weapons from it being particularly hyped, they were styled after Black Armory.

In terms of which existing raid I want craftable weapons the most? Probably VoG, but GoS and LW need the refresh more.

It started as "which existing raid would you like to see get refreshed loot", then I just decided to include the DCV raids even though that's kind of a separate question.

I'm really not sure why VoG loot isn't craftable already. I guess at least it makes the Timelost guns somewhat relevant.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I have heard much arguing about if they'll bring Wrath back, from my understanding there are mechanics they would have to overhaul because of an engine bug with duplicating throwable objects like the treasure engrams in Plunder (though I haven't seen anyone duplicate tangles which operate off of similar logic so maybe that's actually been patched), and that they'd need to make a lot of new assets when previous reprised raids tend to recycle a lot.

Still, I think the fact that all of it's weapons are reskins (not a knock against em, all of the raid weapons being corrupted foundry weapons is pretty cool conceptually) helps balance it out, I think it'll happen.

I was totally expecting VoG to get the reprisal treatment this season too; it would've died into the exotic mission like DSC and Seraph Shield, Rewind Rounds got put into other perk pools like the DSC perks did, feels like a natural fit.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I've never done a master raid, how does the loot work on it? I see this week's challenge in Master RoN is in the first encounter, and the weapons that drop from the first encounter are the grenade launcher, shotgun, and LFR. So completing the encounter with the challenge active will give me an Adept version of one of those? Can I just run that encounter over and over again hoping to get the roll I want on an Adept weapon? Is it once per week? If I want the sidearm or trace rifle as an Adept do I have to wait for next week?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The refreshes of the existing raids is a bit of a tactic to keep people busy/give people a reason to run old raids again. We didn't get one this season because it might have been overshadowed by RoN. By mid next season, most people will probably have their RoN guns craftable, so dropping a refreshed raid then will keep those people busy.

VoG seems like a good guess for next season since like DSC, it already has the chest at the end that you can buy from for the once a week red border. That said, they are planning on adding the "upgrade a weapon to deepsight" feature next season, so that might be a solution that saves them from adding chests to LW or GoS.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

I've never done a master raid, how does the loot work on it? I see this week's challenge in Master RoN is in the first encounter, and the weapons that drop from the first encounter are the grenade launcher, shotgun, and LFR. So completing the encounter with the challenge active will give me an Adept version of one of those? Can I just run that encounter over and over again hoping to get the roll I want on an Adept weapon? Is it once per week? If I want the sidearm or trace rifle as an Adept do I have to wait for next week?

This week you will only get the Adept Sidearm, once per character, for doing the 1st encounter + Challenge on master.

We don't know yet if the gun and encounter are matched (and the 5th and 6th guns come from Triumphs of some kind) or if the gun and encounter both rotate weekly (meaning the 5th and 6th guns will come from the first and second encounters, later in the season)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

when* bungie refreshes GoS

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

arsenicCatnip posted:

I have heard much arguing about if they'll bring Wrath back, from my understanding there are mechanics they would have to overhaul because of an engine bug with duplicating throwable objects like the treasure engrams in Plunder (though I haven't seen anyone duplicate tangles which operate off of similar logic so maybe that's actually been patched), and that they'd need to make a lot of new assets when previous reprised raids tend to recycle a lot.

Bringing back assets isn't all that much work. A fallen captain and a fallen captain with red nano mites use the same skeleton and animations. I don't think this is a barrier to bringing back old content, and the reprised raids had plenty of unique assets as well.

But, the damage is done from the ball dupe glitch. It's not like they were working on a Wrath port and were just waiting until the ball glitch was fixed to release it. The glitches just meant it never got put on the development schedule in the first place!

As of two months ago, nobody was working on WotM at Bungie. That doesn't mean it will never ever ever come out, but it's definitely not on tap for 2023!

The old Joegoroth post from 2021 about a Reprised D1 Raid Every Year was silently updated to say "Reprised Raid from the Destiny Content Vault", for what it's worth. Leviathan, Scourge, Crown have all had their environments used pretty blatantly in game recently, although people aren't exactly champing at the bit for more Calus after the campaign did him so dirty. Eater is not worth anyone's time to reference ever again, and Spire was the worst raid they have ever made

Crota would be lame since we've killed that guy like 7 times in destiny 2 and the raid has all of RoN's shortcomings and more. Doesn't mean they won't do it!!

It's probably Scourge of the Past, by virtue of being the Least Stupid Option

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

It never gets old to have an on-demand dot/aoe that you just fling and go back to business. Super strong in pve, highly recommend just grinding out the catalyst it’ll change your life. I did a combination of WH, fighting Lion (follow the highest k/d guy on the intro screen around and bank grenades into wherever he’s shooting to clean his kills up) and a waveframe I think. On multiple accounts…

Also if you can pace yourself to wait 8 weeks you can get 30 spoils a week by just walking to chests for the most part. I ping in discord when Im doing these so it’s easier for everyone to rotate characters (takes 10 min total instead of having to dick around fresh instances). Or I can teach you how to do them it’s not like I’m the gatekeeper of free spoils. Knowing what I know now I would 100% wait 8 weeks to get tarrabah over outbreak.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Witherhoard catalyst is the only catalyst I would recommend to people who hate PvP to complete. It's worth the grind that much.

Tips for completing:
- Complete on mayhem or momentum
- Shoot it into the following:
- Bubbles
- Wells
- Flags
- Behind shields

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It can't take more than a week of casual play to get, playing IB all last week the amount of people who would start out of the aoe, walk into it, stand in it, and then die was astounding.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t think mayhem would work that well since at any given moment a whole lot of the players are either airborne, buffed with significant damage resistance, or getting instantly atomized by someone else. Momentum is the mode built for this sort of thing

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I thought the eater of worlds boss fight was super fun actually

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

dodgeblan posted:

I thought the eater of worlds boss fight was super fun actually

Same!

Do you remember anything else from the raid??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there was a falling section that was really cool

also i liked the platform section, that was cute