Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I do not want a return to the old Hollywood system where studios basically owned their actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Liv Tyler and Carl Lumbly are both returning for Captain America: New World Order.

Tim Roth is also not officially confirmed, but revealed he was involved in getting Julius Onah picked as the director for the movie, which means he is probably involved in some way as well.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640428662695800832

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Liv Tyler and Carl Lumbly are both returning for Captain America: New World Order.

Tim Roth is also not officially confirmed, but revealed he was involved in getting Julius Onah picked as the director for the movie, which means he is probably involved in some way as well.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640428662695800832

As the rest of the mcu crumbles I just wish for 2 last good movies. Cap 4 and f4

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I totally forgot she played Betty Ross.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Endless Mike posted:

I totally forgot she played Betty Ross.

In fairness, Marvel had memory-holed The Incredible Hulk until they brought William Hurt back for Civil War.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Weird how Captain Falcon 1 is turning into Incredible Hulk 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

Weird how Captain Falcon 1 is turning into Incredible Hulk 2.
It fits with Captain America: Civil War essentially being Avengers 2.5

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

It fits with Captain America: Civil War essentially being Avengers 2.5

I'm curious to see how they tie it all together. Civil War worked because it hinged on Bucky but Sam was just a counselor when all the IH1 stuff was going on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Incredible Hulk fits thematically with Cap since it was an attempt to do the super serum formula again. Toss in the shared military elements. I don’t know what the story is but I can see avenues with the super serum stuff from the show and the apparent tie to Thunderbolts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

The Incredible Hulk fits thematically with Cap since it was an attempt to do the super serum formula again. Toss in the shared military elements. I don’t know what the story is but I can see avenues with the super serum stuff from the show and the apparent tie to Thunderbolts.

It is probably a loose adaption of the comics plot with the same name.

Based on the characters revealed and the comics plot, the broad strokes are probably:

- New World Order is created. It is a secret organization that is trying to control the world, but ostensibly wants "world peace" through some kind of invisible control.
- The President/Thunderbolt Ross is secretly aligned with/under their control.
- Some kind of mind control/manipulation/Hulk/super soldier experimentation is involved.

The actual comic is very Hulk-focused and involves mutants, so they probably won't hew super closely. But, most of the MCU comic story adaptations are very loosely based on the comic storylines they are adapted from.

The inclusion of Sabra, the various Hulk characters, The Leader, and the New World Order all imply some kind of conspiracy involving mind control/Hulk/super soldier research.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's just winter soldier

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

site posted:

That's just winter soldier

Basically every single Hulk and Captain America character has a very prominent mind control story arc (including multiple Captains America!). The writers really love mind control and secret societies for that cast at a level way higher than other characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/thegoodolddais/status/1640492643670020099
probably real answer is that ad company uploaded the wrong version.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Still not as funny as the trailer for Tom Cruise's The Mummy that had all of the music stripped out

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still not as funny as the trailer for Tom Cruise's The Mummy that had all of the music stripped out

I wish I could get his screams from that as a ringtone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqxyqjpOHs&t=67s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SlimGoodbody posted:

I definitely understand the invasion of privacy argument, but on the other hand, it isn't like these folks are trying to get a job as a CPA or getting a small business loan to start a taco truck operation or some other fairly inconsequential role in the grand scheme of things. Signing up for this isn't just being an actor; you're essentially signing to be turned into a demigod.

You're going to be paid absolutely obscene piles of wealth that will set you up for life. You're going to become one of the most famous people on the planet. You're going to have incredible job security, as well as the creative leverage and leeway to do anything you want after. You are also the face of the brand, and the lynchpin upon which literal billions of dollars and tens of thousands of careers will be anchored for a decade.

It is a huge responsibility to take these roles, and that responsibility comes with rewards we mortal non-mega-celebs can scarcely fathom because of how life changing they are. It does seem like the requirements should be a bit stringent. I think you're allowed to ask for a higher bar of clearance when you're offering that responsibility to someone. The precedent is already sorta there, I mean, all of these contracts likely have morality clauses so they can axe you if you try to set up an online streaming service where you bet on dogfights.

Coming from a country where background checks are only allowed if you're going to be a cop or work with children. And even then you can only do limited background checks. Posts like this seem really weird to me. Doing background checks is incredibly invasive and the bar for doing one should be equally high.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/thegoodolddais/status/1640492643670020099
probably real answer is that ad company uploaded the wrong version.

Already gone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a Kings Hawaiian cross promotional ad for Guardians 3 with unfinished special effects. So stuff like a visible green screen and Groot being just a still image.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ooh this rules actually. One step closer to live action Harpy :parrot:

Oh and uh I guess it'd be cool to see her with Bruce again or whatever

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

0 info about the character or anything else. Just an announcement that he has been cast.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640802271087964160

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Coming from a country where background checks are only allowed if you're going to be a cop or work with children. And even then you can only do limited background checks. Posts like this seem really weird to me. Doing background checks is incredibly invasive and the bar for doing one should be equally high.

Nah, you goons are totally right on this. I got overzealous because it genuinely seems insane to me that we are in an economic and social system where someone with an apparently voluminous history of abuse can still just be given millions of dollars and worldwide super stardom and there's just... no impediment to it. See also: Ezra Miller, Jared Leto, etc.

I don't think there's a good answer to the problem outside of massive structural changes to many elements of society, likely starting with "figure out how to get people to stop feeling entitled to the exploitation of those over whom they hold power," which is gonna necessarily require a deeper dive into how power is gained and held, by whom, by what mechanics and for what reasons, and so on.

Like if it were me and I had been given a truckload of money and the keys to a global mega franchise, I would simply choose not to chokeslam women when I get angry, but perhaps I am simply Built Different.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Nah, you goons are totally right on this. I got overzealous because it genuinely seems insane to me that we are in an economic and social system where someone with an apparently voluminous history of abuse can still just be given millions of dollars and worldwide super stardom and there's just... no impediment to it. See also: Ezra Miller, Jared Leto, etc.

I don't think there's a good answer to the problem outside of massive structural changes to many elements of society, likely starting with "figure out how to get people to stop feeling entitled to the exploitation of those over whom they hold power," which is gonna necessarily require a deeper dive into how power is gained and held, by whom, by what mechanics and for what reasons, and so on.

Like if it were me and I had been given a truckload of money and the keys to a global mega franchise, I would simply choose not to chokeslam women when I get angry, but perhaps I am simply Built Different.

You're not wrong. But there's a few things.

The first I would say is that absolutely, believe anyone who claims to have been attacked or abused or truly wronged. But part of the problem is a) limited resources and b) sad but true, sometimes false claims. For part A, investigating claims of a crime with limited evidence and witnesses tends to boil down to hearsay, and often, victims in these situations can't escape or otherwise defend against the resources of the agitator. So there's never enough of a paper trail for anyone to find or follow. For part B, it sucks, it should be treated as an exception, and one would hope that a false accusation would fall apart under decent scrutiny (for truly innocent people). But the trend seems to be that if someone is rich/famous/powerful, they receive the benefit of the doubt in the eye of the public, because there have been jealous/crazy people who make up stories about famous people just to gain something. And abusers can use that POV to spin PR to discredit their victims.

To your last point though, you are starting from a point where you, (presumably) don't like chokeslamming women. Now, instead assume that in the privacy of your own home and relationships, you do enjoy that. Now, a major corporation has just dumped a truck full of money on your lawn. Now you have much better resources to chokeslam women with, and failing that, resources to quiet people who don't like chokeslamming women. And because of your public image, and the kind of underlying narrative of "Big corp wouldn't hire someone who likes chokeslamming women, therefore he's been vetted..." and so on, you're more empowered to continue your behavior.

I'm hoping that in this technological day and age, with everyone with a camera in their hands, 24/7 media coverage of everything, and more social awareness, shitheads/abusers can start getting stopped sooner, but these people are unfortunately very good at avoiding consequences.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 29, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Someone else already said it but the unfortunate reality is that money, success, fame, and power just end up naturally reinforcing and protecting bad behavior and serious character flaws and probably even escalating them as you become further protected from consequences or negative reinforcement. And I’m not sure there’s much you can do about that besides just try and hold everyone equally accountable. And unfortunately that doesn’t always happen not just because all those things still do protect people from consequence but also because everyone from corporate to fans tend to sometimes let their own interests shape how they react. That’s what we gotta work on, not assuming every potential star is a possible monster and doing preemptive invasive investigations to prove their innocence.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kevin Feige has completed his decade long coup and gotten Ike Perlmutter fired.

quote:

Isaac Perlmutter, the famously frugal Marvel Entertainment chairman who unsuccessfully worked to shake up the Walt Disney Company’s board in the past year, has been laid off as part of a cost-cutting campaign.

Disney confirmed the move. Mr. Perlmutter, 80, was told by phone on Wednesday that Marvel Entertainment, a small division centered on consumer products and run separately from Marvel Studios, was redundant and would be folded into larger Disney business units, according to two Disney executives briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive personnel matter.

On Monday, Disney started to eliminate 7,000 jobs, about 4 percent of its global total, as part of $5.5 billion in cuts intended to improve Disney’s financial results and position the company for streaming-fueled growth.

Mr. Perlmutter, known as Ike, could not immediately be reached for comment.

An irascible and unrelenting executive, Mr. Perlmutter has been a distraction inside Disney for more than a decade — most recently when he pushed for a friend, the activist investor Nelson Peltz to join the Disney board. Mr. Perlmutter contacted Disney board members and senior Disney executives six times from last August to November to push for Mr. Peltz to join the board, according to a securities filing. When he was rebuffed, Mr. Peltz started a proxy battle to put himself on the board, saying he would cut costs, revamp Disney’s streaming business and clean up the company’s messy succession planning.

Mr. Peltz withdrew in February, when Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, unveiled a restructuring and the cost cuts, along with the likely restoration of Disney’s dividend.

Since then, Mr. Perlmutter’s future at Disney has been a topic of water cooler debate inside the company, with most employees concluding that his days were numbered. On Wednesday, Disney also laid off Rob Steffens, co-president of Marvel Entertainment, and John Turitzin, chief counsel for the division.

A Disney spokesman confirmed the job eliminations at Marvel Entertainment, but declined to comment further.

Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Entertainment, will remain and report to Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios. Previously, Mr. Buckley reported both to him and Mr. Perlmutter.

Mr. Perlmutter sold Marvel to Disney in 2009 for $4 billion. He gained control of the superhero company in the late 1990s and greatly expanded its merchandising business by licensing properties like X-Men and Spider-Man to movie studios.

Mr. Perlmutter’s involvement with Marvel as a whole has greatly diminished over the years. He has not been involved with Marvel movies since 2015, when a feud with Mr. Feige over costs related to “Doctor Strange” boiled over. (Mr. Perlmutter wanted to fire Mr. Feige; Mr. Iger overruled him.) Mr. Perlmutter lost oversight of Marvel television shows in 2019.

By the end, Mr. Perlmutter’s job was limited to businesses like comics publishing, which generates $40 million to $60 million in sales annually, according to analysts. (To contextualize, Disney had about $83 billion in total revenue in 2022.) He was also involved in Marvel game licensing, certain consumer products and superhero arena shows. Marvel Entertainment was based in New York.

Disney arguably allowed Mr. Perlmutter to keep a fief long after it made financial sense to do so. He is a significant Disney shareholder, and there was a sense of obligation: Without him, Disney would not have Marvel.

Mr. Perlmutter’s zealousness for corporate frugality in service of profit is well known in the entertainment business. In one particularly vivid example, he used to pluck paper clips out of garbage cans at Marvel offices for reuse. People at Marvel still talk about the time he suggested serving potato chips at a movie premiere to save catering costs.

To closely monitor activities at Marvel offices, Mr. Perlmutter at one point installed at least 20 cameras. Disney ripped them out several years ago.

Mr. Perlmutter’s soreness over Mr. Iger’s decision to take away oversight of Marvel moviemaking has also been well known. In February, when Disney thwarted the proxy battle, Mr. Iger appeared on CNBC and was asked about Mr. Perlmutter’s involvement in the shake-up effort. Did a feud perhaps fuel it?

“Well, you’d have to ask Ike about that,” Mr. Iger said. “But let’s put it this way: He was not happy about it. And I think that unhappiness exists today.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/business/media/disney-marvel-ike-perlmutter.html

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

quote:

has been laid off as part of a cost-cutting campaign.
:lol:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
gently caress Ike Perlmutter. All my friends hate Ike Perlmutter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Amazed he was still around

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The last straw had to have been the proxy fight Ike was backing recently. But yeah, getting him out of the company is gonna be a net positive all around honestly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will take this as official

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/1641116066733604884?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Ike

:sickos:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Kevin Feige has completed his decade long coup and gotten Ike Perlmutter fired.

R.I.P. bozo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This unironically rules. Not that those characters made or broke the movies but I just like that they’re not being cast aside because DP is Marvel now. gently caress TJ Miller though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I want Negasonic and Yukio to come back too. As much as I'd really love a fresh start for the mutants in the MCU, those two can stay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I want Negasonic and Yukio to come back too. As much as I'd really love a fresh start for the mutants in the MCU, those two can stay.

I think the New Mutants cast deserve another shot too, especially ATJ as Magik.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feels like Ike probably made more than the 7000 people they're cutting. Let those people keep their jobs, assholes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

Feels like Ike probably made more than the 7000 people they're cutting. Let those people keep their jobs, assholes.

I think Ike probably made less than $5.5 billion.

Also, some of those people definitely needed to go.

quote:

As first reported by The Wall Street Journal, Disney also eliminated a 50-person metaverse division dedicated to “next-generation storytelling and consumer experiences,” none of which had yet come to fruition.

Chapek had previously said he wanted 1/3 of Disney content to be metaverse-related by 2030, which is completely insane, and Iger has reasonably shut the entire thing down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The $5.5b is the total expense cuts, not just the salary mass of the 7000 people. That would mean an average of over $700k per employee, and considering most of the ones getting cut are going to be under 60 they aren't making up the bulk of that.

But yes, that was still an exaggeration. Ike probably wasn't making over $400mil either. I'm 100% biased, I admit that. I have a friend there and this protracted bullshit is really stressing out all the employees who aren't the confirmed safe on the ground parks staff.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 29, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the New Mutants cast deserve another shot too, especially ATJ as Magik.

Stop trying to make New Mutants happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Was Perlmutter ever on the Disney board himself?