Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Endorph posted:

it is but magus isnt around for half the game

Because Chrono Trigger is a sweeping epic and part of the payoff is experiencing how all the timelines and smaller conflicts ultimately interact with each other smh!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah it's the first Xenoblade, sorry.

I know we all love our nostalgia here but XBC1 is basically the perfect JRPG.

its the third or fourth best xenoblade game op

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah it's the first Xenoblade, sorry.

I know we all love our nostalgia here but XBC1 is basically the perfect JRPG.

It's actually Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, OP.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What happened with the RE3 remake, was there any reason aside from studio/publisher timelines that it came out missing some big parts etc? Apparently 4 is loving stellar, and getting the vibe it may be best remake yet?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

I like 7 and 8 a whole lot more is it’s main problem.

i have the exact opposite problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Because Chrono Trigger is a sweeping epic and part of the payoff is experiencing how all the timelines and smaller conflicts ultimately interact with each other smh!!!
ive seen that done way better in other games and the dinosaur land was really boring

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

lmao that red text

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's actually Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, OP.

was gonna say this

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
wrong. azala is a tragic antihero and the reveal that the 65M b.c. 'villain' is doing the best they can do save their people is foreshadowing that magus is not a 1 dimensional big bad !! cmon !!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
https://youtu.be/cOy6hqzfsAs

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its the third or fourth best xenoblade game op

how in the gently caress do you like X more than 1

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Final Fantasy 9 was just this ideal sort of "we perfected the formula in 1996, lets just do that to the highest level" including all the time waste grind bullshit like the chocobo treasure hunt.

As a follow up to 7 and 8, the brooding anime boy dramas, 9 was almost a repudiation to that, going mostly classic fantasy with trying to be something other then joyless for 40 hours.

I've played 9 and X in the past few years, and while I have to admit X is a better game experience, 9 is just delightful and fun the entire time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Psycho Landlord posted:

i actually havent played X it's more that i really don't like 1 very much

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I never played X but each numbered xenoblade is a lot better than the previous imo, 1 was fine, 2 was great, 3 was epic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best rpg is shadow hearts 2

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The best summary of the Xenoblades I've seen was that XB1 is a homage to classic 90s anime, and XB2 is to the 2000s era.

X is sort of this half formed mmo that didn't really get off the ground. I need to play XB3 but I'm gonna wait for all the expansions/updates/QoL improvements because according to everyone commenting on 1 and 2 their current state is vastly better to play and enjoy then their launch 1.0 version.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

3 is really good, like none of the XBs are bad, not even X

1's just the best, factually, literally, etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

As a follow up to 7 and 8, the brooding anime boy dramas, 9 was almost a repudiation to that, going mostly classic fantasy with trying to be something other then joyless for 40 hours.
its easy to misremember 7 and 8 as joyless but those games are goofy as gently caress and have a ton of humor in them. the joke in the wutai sidequest in ff7 where the turks have don corneo hanging off the edge of a cliff and they ask him a question and then his dialog box pops up with a dialogue option and you see a cursor flitting back and forth and he gets knocked off the cliff before he can pick one is amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

The best summary of the Xenoblades I've seen was that XB1 is a homage to classic 90s anime, and XB2 is to the 2000s era.

X is sort of this half formed mmo that didn't really get off the ground. I need to play XB3 but I'm gonna wait for all the expansions/updates/QoL improvements because according to everyone commenting on 1 and 2 their current state is vastly better to play and enjoy then their launch 1.0 version.
xb3 just launched, good and complete, with no real improvements needed. because half the dev team didnt get kidnapped to finish breath of the wild like what happened with 2. theres no real need for that kind of stuff with it and once the last bit of dlc comes out itll probably just be left alone

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pentyne posted:

Final Fantasy 9 was just this ideal sort of "we perfected the formula in 1996, lets just do that to the highest level" including all the time waste grind bullshit like the chocobo treasure hunt.

I've played 9 and X in the past few years, and while I have to admit X is a better game experience, 9 is just delightful and fun the entire time.

FF 8 has a scene where you and the love interest float in space seemingly to your deaths as a moon full of monsters descends on earth and then by complete chance a Gundam of Bahamut bumps into you and you use it to save yourselves from the vacuum of space and everyone gets so hyped that you roll the sorceress with one attack throughout the fabric of time. How is that joyless? FF 8 is the best JRPG.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i think me liking 2 a lot more than its reputation was because i played it last year, and apparently they did a lot of quality-of-life patching

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Also yeah, 3's patches are all content, not qol. It was released in the intended state.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Xenoblade 1 is by far a better story, because 10% into the game it seems like it's going to do the "protagonist keeps secret, bad things happen" and Reyn just goes "yo, Shulk, we all know this is happening, you need to talk to us" and then ditches a ton of those dumb as hell jrpg tropes.

Also Heropon Riki is the best franchise character period.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

its easy to misremember 7 and 8 as joyless but those games are goofy as gently caress and have a ton of humor in them. the joke in the wutai sidequest in ff7 where the turks have don corneo hanging off the edge of a cliff and they ask him a question and then his dialog box pops up with a dialogue option and you see a cursor flitting back and forth and he gets knocked off the cliff before he can pick one is amazing

the fight against Palmer where at the end a truck comes out of nowhere, slams into him and he flies off screen like a looney tunes cartoon FTW

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the fight against Palmer where at the end a truck comes out of nowhere, slams into him and he flies off screen like a looney tunes cartoon FTW

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I really want to replay Dragon Quest 5. I played a fan translation of the Super Famicom version a few years back and I remember having a great time recruiting slimes and golems.

Quick saga question: Does anyone remember a thread a few years back when a dude asked "Hey, my friends and I are making a movie and we need to set someone on fire, what's the safest way to accomplish this?", with some goons answering sincerely that the best way would be to use SFX because if the dude is not a trained stuntman things can go south real fast, and the OP going "Ah, we just did it anyway :)" and they were just some dumbass teenagers filming stunts using their cellphone?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

XBC2 is godlike but I’ve had a slow time getting through 1. It’s good but hasn’t been hitting them same as 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i liked 3 a lot though i still need to finish it but it was a big bummer for me that it didn't have the best thing about xbc2 which was the insanely huge towns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pentaro posted:

I really want to replay Dragon Quest 5. I played a fan translation of the Super Famicom version a few years back and I remember having a great time recruiting slimes and golems.

Quick saga question: Does anyone remember a thread a few years back when a dude asked "Hey, my friends and I are making a movie and we need to set someone on fire, what's the safest way to accomplish this?", with some goons answering sincerely that the best way would be to use SFX because if the dude is not a trained stuntman things can go south real fast, and the OP going "Ah, we just did it anyway :)" and they were just some dumbass teenagers filming stunts using their cellphone?
if its in cellphone quality couldnt you just set a dummy on fire and shoot it from a distance

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really like the combination of dystopian cyberpunk future and classical high fantasy in 7.

Like all the Midgar stuff is great but it’s kinda grim and linear and then you leave the city and the rest of the world is kinda like… fine. It’s a big swerve and I think it really works. Midgar being first and so major gives a lot of credibility to the idea of a world where motorcycles, machine guns and dragons all coincide.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 29, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
7 is just a really funny game. it absolutely loves the idea that people will be living in a miserable future dystopia and will remain total goofballs which is probably accurate.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

An Actual Princess posted:

though none of them compare to the best jrpg of all time, suikoden 2

star ocean 2

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

XBC2 is godlike but I’ve had a slow time getting through 1. It’s good but hasn’t been hitting them same as 2

The Switch version of XB 1 with the expert mode turned on makes it a lot more interesting because swapping your level on the fly gives you the ability to tune the difficulty super specifically, they should have called it something other than expert mode.

After that it’s just wandering a ton of cool huge environments with fun combat; without being able to tune your level it gets a little less consistent.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Leraika posted:

star ocean 2

i got massively stuck in that game in a way that i couldn't finish the final battle and i don't remember how

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

i got massively stuck in that game in a way that i couldn't finish the final battle and i don't remember how

it's trivial to accidentally turn on extra super hard boss mode for the final fight by having innocuous town conversations early in the game, so that was probably it

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
star ocean 2 owned but there was no way I could have ever played that game without the official prima strategy guide

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

it's trivial to accidentally turn on extra super hard boss mode for the final fight by having innocuous town conversations early in the game, so that was probably it

I talked to literally everyone in games back at that time because I wasn't willing to miss a single thing, so yeah sounds right.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

7 is just a really funny game. it absolutely loves the idea that people will be living in a miserable future dystopia and will remain total goofballs which is probably accurate.

It is definitely accurate imo. Humans will always be weird little bozos and that will never change

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also endorph you are not alone, I also am not really a fan of chrono trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

pentyne posted:

Xenoblade 1 is by far a better story, because 10% into the game it seems like it's going to do the "protagonist keeps secret, bad things happen" and Reyn just goes "yo, Shulk, we all know this is happening, you need to talk to us" and then ditches a ton of those dumb as hell jrpg tropes.

Also Heropon Riki is the best franchise character period.

Yeah the reason I like 1 so much (besides Reyn time) is that all the characters are actually people and generally intelligent, which was a big problem i had getting into 2.

Glad 3 went back to that kind of storytelling.

Also it owns that the stereotypically quiet nerdy MC is also the most murderously angry member of the cast