Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Gillian Anderson is still super hot.

Hell, Duchovny is as well.

all of duchovny's roles now are basically "stoned uncle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
...but why male models?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:toot:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/winterm00n_/status/1640351330320502784?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

john wick 4 good

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Casual Encountess posted:

john wick 4 good

yes. i left the theater satisfied.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's 2 hours and 40 minutes though wtf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it turns out tight editing is a waste of time. you can just do whatever, people will still watch it and you're never going to get dinged for runtime or pacing

it doesn't even matter if you have enough content to fill the time, just make every single fight scene 15 minutes long, they'll loving love it

if you're on your 3rd sequel, you can safely assume that more=better. and this isn't police academy, no one is going to make you fit it into 89 minutes

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Gillian Anderson is still super hot.

Hell, Duchovny is as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it basically feels that way. movie studios have figured out that making things good is hard and expensive and doesn't actually reliably generate profit. maybe they've always known, we still get good movies 🤷‍♀️

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
everything out of marvel/disney has looked like poo poo for the better part of a decade now, they still reliably make more money than god every single release. you don't have to make a technically competent film to make a lot of money, so yeah, why would you bother?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was going to make a joke about value engineering for film, but roger corman actually did that, and it was better than this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I didn't have enough budget to make a short film, so I made you a long one instead.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

what the gently caress

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i think anyone recommending the new john wick should be required to also say what they think of johns wick 2 and 3

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i was gonna buy it on itunes bc i like the franchise and all but man, im just too skeptical that it's actually worth its runtime to spend $20 sight unseen

plus it's not like each movie has been better than the one before. they're fun, but...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they don't even have intermissions anymore

2001: a space odyssey is 143 minutes, and they had the sense to give you a bathroom break in there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

avatar 2 releases today, but i'm not gonna watch it until i finish chernobyl

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Truman Peyote posted:

i think anyone recommending the new john wick should be required to also say what they think of johns wick 2 and 3

i liked all of them. i also like all the fast and furious movies. i enjoy them for what they are

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i liked all of them. i also like all the fast and furious movies. i enjoy them for what they are

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

fast and the furious is a way better super hero franchise than the mcu

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
John Wick: 1>4>3>2
F&F: 5>6>1>9>7>3>8>4>2
MI: 4>5>6>1>3>2

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Achmed Jones posted:

avatar 2 releases today, but i'm not gonna watch it until i finish chernobyl

chernobyl is real good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

chernobyl is real good

nice meltdown

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there must be some real fun meetings happening in the MCU offices now that kang the conqueror got popped for domestic violence

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I saw that and fully expect disney to pull a Rhodey

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/brianwhelton/status/1640827233647378438?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i can't think of much i didn't really like about it. there are some scientific inaccuracies and some obvious fabrications but both are in service to the plot and i don't think it suffers for either choice, on the contrary really

the production design is top notch for a miniseries, the acting is fantastic, hell it even has good, tight editing. its overall really well done i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

you could trim like 15 minutes. also for home watching there's like 2 perfect intermission points.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i heard my wife crying from upstairs one night when she was working late, and went to see what happened. turned out she had decided to watch john wick shortly after we put her dog down

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/MattBaume/status/1637984052194992132

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 29, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm a bit weak on my 80s: the villain in Dreamscape (1984) was supposed to be a stand in for H.W., right?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

you could trim like 15 minutes. also for home watching there's like 2 perfect intermission points.

whether this is acceptable is wholly determined if this pops up for a few minutes

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

there must be some real fun meetings happening in the MCU offices now that kang the conqueror got popped for domestic violence

doubly so because they also just vaporized perlmutter

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

infernal machines posted:

they don't even have intermissions anymore

2001: a space odyssey is 143 minutes, and they had the sense to give you a bathroom break in there

thats because they were trying to make sure the audience stayed awake :ssh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
also the correct JW order is 2 > 1 = 4 > 3, though the ending fight of 3 is still the best in the series. the overhead camera thing near the end in 4 was a close loving second though.

my biggest gripe about 4 was not the length but to many people in invincible body armor, whether suits or the full armor. i thought those scenes in the previous ones were fun as like "oh poo poo boss fight" and also it was more fun to see him just mowing down a couple dozen dudes at a time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
speaking of kickass fights, finally fixed my locale issues and finished wheels on meals, holy poo poo the final scene with jackie and the goon was incredibly well choreographed, one of the best fights ive ever seen

also the whole movie was absolutely hilarious. 10/10

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

thats because they were trying to make sure the audience stayed awake :ssh:

i guess not everyone can just cut to a cockatoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

doubly so because they also just vaporized perlmutter

perlmutter wasn't relevant to this at all. they had already taken him away from marvel studios and he was only in charge of marvel entertainment, which is a tiny division that is essentially just marvel comics and their licensing stuff

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 29, 2023