Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

i kinda hate the chess.com lessons anyway. Danya is way better, and who has time for more than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
True, his videos have been getting longer and longer recently...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have been watching hundreds of chess simp videos, which are mostly about playing 100 rated chess but with some severe restriction to make it a challenge, and it's always funny when he gets matched with some 145 rated player who has also paid for platinum

Also I was chatting with my brother on sunday about chess and he bought me something called five dimensional chess as a Steam present, apparently you play chess vs your opponent's setup now but also in the past and future... anyone tried it? I haven't installed it yet.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah its very silly and fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

5d chess is pretty hilarious but nearly inscrutable. I don't even attempt to really win but to make the most tangled, insane parallel boards I can muster. (And then wonder how my opponent checkmated me through time)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEHIr932ac

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

guy wouldn't resign so i figured i'd be a dick about it

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a beginner, I really like the Request Takeback feature, because it alerts me that my opponent did something really stupid that I may not have spotted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One of my first lichess experiences was my opponent requesting a takeback after blundering the queen in 1, and I gave it to them. Then later I misclicked and played Kf1 instead of 0-0 and requested a takeback and they refused.

edit: check out this game I found in the database:

https://lichess.org/LR45MJYx

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 22, 2023

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I'm getting back into doing puzzles, liked this one a lot.

https://lichess.org/training/YrYb2

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

kalensc posted:

I'm getting back into doing puzzles, liked this one a lot.

https://lichess.org/training/YrYb2

Qh5..Qxf5 Be4..Qxe4 Qxh7#?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zwabu posted:

Qh5..Qxf5 Be4..Qxe4 Qxh7#?

Black would theoretically continue after Be4 Qc8+ but doesn't matter much at that point I think.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

guy wouldn't resign so i figured i'd be a dick about it

:sickos:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I really enjoyed this puzzle because the moves are what I'd consider "quiet" moves, relative to what I'm used to in lower rated puzzles. https://lichess.org/training/jigcN

Since I'm in a range where I miss about as many puzzles as I solve, it's also interesting for me to learn things about my own brain doing these puzzles. Like, what about this puzzle allowed me to recognize the key elements and solve it, as opposed to the ones that I fail? (Aside from the fact that this one doesn't involve an endgame lol.)

Like, I could recognize that White's knight is in a bit of trouble, and threatening it with the bishop forces White to defend with his bishop since the knight is pinned against the rook and the bishop is the only piece that can defend. And furthermore that attacking with Black's bishop opens up the file for his rook.

I could also see that White's king is in some trouble, that checking with the pawn could force the king back a rank due to the synergy between Black's pawns and bishop, and then began looking at whether Black's rook could further attack the king once the king had been kicked back to the second rank. I don't know what made me start considering whether it would be stronger to move ..Rc2 first thereby restricting the movement of White's king in a severely uncomfortable way, my brain usually doesn't look at moves like that, but the instant I considered moving the rook first I realized the pawn move then threatened mate, and White could only survive by throwing away material. So the key insights to get into my own thought patterns are why I don't ordinarily consider moves like ..Rc2, and what made me look at it this time.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 24, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Zwabu posted:

I really enjoyed this puzzle because the moves are what I'd consider "quiet" moves, relative to what I'm used to in lower rated puzzles. https://lichess.org/training/jigcN

Since I'm in a range where I miss about as many puzzles as I solve, it's also interesting for me to learn things about my own brain doing these puzzles. Like, what about this puzzle allowed me to recognize the key elements and solve it, as opposed to the ones that I fail? (Aside from the fact that this one doesn't involve an endgame lol.)

Like, I could recognize that White's knight is in a bit of trouble, and threatening it with the bishop forces White to defend with his bishop since the knight is pinned against the rook and the bishop is the only piece that can defend. And furthermore that attacking with Black's bishop opens up the file for his rook.

I could also see that White's king is in some trouble, that checking with the pawn could force the king back a rank due to the synergy between Black's pawns and bishop, and then began looking at whether Black's rook could further attack the king once the king had been kicked back to the second rank. I don't know what made me start considering whether it would be stronger to move ..Rc2 first thereby restricting the movement of White's king in a severely uncomfortable way, my brain usually doesn't look at moves like that, but the instant I considered moving the rook first I realized the pawn move then threatened mate, and White could only survive by throwing away material. So the key insights to get into my own thought patterns are why I don't ordinarily consider moves like ..Rc2, and what made me look at it this time.

This was a fun one. I had a breakthrough in how I look at the game when I started looking at how I could attack the squares surrounding the king instead of the king itself. This puzzle definitely illustrates the effectiveness of this.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The thing that clued me in was you could see what white's last move was. The puzzle starts right after the blunder, so looking to see why that move was the blunder is a good first step. And that pawn move was white removing the knight's defender, and allowing the pin. The bishop moving means the bishop is no longer protecting the square the rook wants to go to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Salt Fish posted:

One of my first lichess experiences was my opponent requesting a takeback after blundering the queen in 1, and I gave it to them. Then later I misclicked and played Kf1 instead of 0-0 and requested a takeback and they refused.

This is the lichess Way.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

ulmont posted:

This is the lichess Way.

The true path is to disable takebacks in your preferences.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I only really started playing chess since last year, but ive been using lichess to do so - some of my experiences with other players on there - which have been mostly chill - include:

- A few people telling me how high they were asking for a takeback (I obliged)
- Blundering horribly in one game and the person kindly asking if they could sac their rook so that "they could practice a specific endgame" against me (I obliged)
- Someone (who I think English was a second language for) just spamming "FASTER!" in and "STUPID!" in the chat after every single move I made

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 25, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rooney McNibnug posted:

- Someone (who I think English was a second language for) just spamming "FASTER!" in and "STUPID!" in the chat after every single move I made
did you win this game

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

jesus WEP posted:

did you win this game

no. :saddumb:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

greatZebu posted:

The true path is to disable takebacks in your preferences.

But then I couldn't spam them with time increases to taunt them

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rooney McNibnug posted:

don't doxx me

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

AnoHito posted:

don't doxx me

I want a rematch, buddy

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

okay this one is pure and good

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

1. …Rxf2+ 2. Kxf2 Ng4+! and now no matter where the King moves, there’s a royal fork. I initially thought that Ne4+ would work but then the king can escape with Kg2.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whats the followup after Kh3?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Salt Fish posted:

Nf4, threatening mate on h2. The queen is lost, it's just a choice of how

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

You’ve got two rooks and a pawn for the queen, and the king is now stuck in a corner, with ng4 threatening mate. I think white is looking pretty dire even if they can hold onto the queen there.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Aggro posted:

1. …Rxf2+ 2. Kxf2 Ng4+! and now no matter where the King moves, there’s a royal fork. I initially thought that Ne4+ would work but then the king can escape with Kg2.

My mind kept sticking to Ne4+ and trying to find a way to engineer a fork and I got it wrong. This puzzle was really instructive for me in solidifying a pattern of thinking about these fork-vulnerable queen positions by considering the colour of escape squares the king has after the initial check. After Ng4+, every escape square is white and vulnerable to the follow-up with the queen's squares.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I'm not going to be the one to do it, but are we going to have a World Championship thread, or just use this one?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Use this thread imo, that was part of what we started a new one for.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Rooting for Ding I guess, just because it makes a better story.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would lol forever at ding being world champion because hikaru didn’t trade off the rooks in that one game

e: that being said i think nepo will probably stomp him

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Wondering if he'll somehow manage another visa + jetlag fuckup at the last minute

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://lichess.org/training/cGmJM

I thought this was a nice little "call an ambulance... BUT NOT FOR ME" kind of puzzle. I enjoy the sharp knife fight kind of positions.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Looking back over a game, it's amazing that the Borg defense (1. e4 g5) is somehow +2.4 on move 1. Is there a worse move on the board?

rollick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

rollick posted:

Looking back over a game, it's amazing that the Borg defense (1. e4 g5) is somehow +2.4 on move 1. Is there a worse move on the board?

1. h4 g5 is apparently +2.7 but i could not find a worse evaluation for 1. e4 than g5