Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's Dragon Quest 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Secret of Mana but you also have to be in middle school and beat it with your best friend and your younger sibling playing along the whole way.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Dandywalken posted:

What happened with the RE3 remake, was there any reason aside from studio/publisher timelines that it came out missing some big parts etc? Apparently 4 is loving stellar, and getting the vibe it may be best remake yet?

i dont actually know the full story but i had assumed it was because they focused resources on the asymmetrical multiplayer thing attached

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheMightyBoops posted:

The Switch version of XB 1 with the expert mode turned on makes it a lot more interesting because swapping your level on the fly gives you the ability to tune the difficulty super specifically, they should have called it something other than expert mode.

After that it’s just wandering a ton of cool huge environments with fun combat; without being able to tune your level it gets a little less consistent.

I’m playing the Switch version, I didn’t even know that was a thing

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the golden saucer is a place of joy and wonder

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

lobster shirt posted:

the golden saucer is a place of joy and wonder

that's where I quit progressing in the plot.

i did not quit playing, however.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m playing the Switch version, I didn’t even know that was a thing

I think you can turn it on at any time, but yeah the only reason I noticed it is because I look all the differences when I buy ports because it’s something to do. They named it poorly and sort of hid it because they maybe thought it’d confuse people?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

the best rpg is shadow hearts 2
The guy who did the music for Chrono Trigger also did a bunch of the music in this.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is the RE4 remake worth it? I’ve heard mixed stuff. I was willing to shell out $60 for the dead space remake because I hadn’t played it in quite a while but RE4 has been everywhere.

It’s also one of my favorite games ever and I’m not sure why it would need to be remade because it was perfect as-is.

E: great now I have the chrono trigger victory/time machine “here we go” music stuck in my head.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Is the RE4 remake worth it? I’ve heard mixed stuff. I was willing to shell out $60 for the dead space remake because I hadn’t played it in quite a while but RE4 has been everywhere.

It’s also one of my favorite games ever and I’m not sure why it would need to be remade because it was perfect as-is.

It's good. IMO RE4 is a 10/10 game and the remake is like an 8.5-9/10. Minute to minute gameplay is real good but they toned down/cut some iconic stuff which bugs me, but also added or expanded on certain areas which makes things feel fresh even to someone who played the original.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Frank Frank posted:

E: great now I have the chrono trigger victory/time machine “here we go” music stuck in my head.

I'm really digging it. It doesn't entirely supplant the original the way dead space did but it's still very solid, some of the omissions are odd, most of the additions are great.

Nu-Luis owns.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I never see people talking about Golden Sun and, frankly, I'm sickened by it

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i cant afford to pick it up right now but ive been watching jerma play it and im very excited to get my hands on it

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's Dragon Quest 11

Dq11 is basically peak dragon quest and I am not looking forward to 12 apparently being edgier.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's good. IMO RE4 is a 10/10 game and the remake is like an 8.5-9/10. Minute to minute gameplay is real good but they toned down/cut some iconic stuff which bugs me, but also added or expanded on certain areas which makes things feel fresh even to someone who played the original.

Did they dial down the campy b movie bullshit because that’s part of why it’s amazing. If Salazar isn’t a simpering fancy lad I will be incredibly disappointed.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Psycho Landlord posted:

It doesn't entirely supplant the original the way dead space did

rubbing my eyes irl right now

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Did they dial down the campy b movie bullshit because that’s part of why it’s amazing. If Salazar isn’t a simpering fancy lad I will be incredibly disappointed.

They cut most direct interactions with Salazar and his redesign makes him look like he came off the set of The Golden Girls. Absolutely one of the remakes biggest missteps.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

DaysBefore posted:

I never see people talking about Golden Sun and, frankly, I'm sickened by it

Fantastic game, cool and unique turn based combat, great music, WAY too short. Part 2 never grabbed me the same way 1 did tbh.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They cut most direct interactions with Salazar and his redesign makes him look like he came off the set of The Golden Girls. Absolutely one of the remakes biggest missteps.

This is a travesty

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

This is a travesty

Leon still has some funny one liners but outside a couple most of them are said in gameplay now. Stuff like "No thanks, Bro!" or "Your right hand comes off?" are gone and only referenced in achievements.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What the gently caress

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

rubbing my eyes irl right now

bro why would you ever play OG dead space over the remake

E: before you say anything about Isaac talking I will remind you that Isaac also spoke in Dead Space 2, the best game in the series and uncontested king of action horror

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Deki posted:

Dq11 is basically peak dragon quest and I am not looking forward to 12 apparently being edgier.

I don't know anything about 12 but it's not like dq doesn't get dark as hell when it feels like it

DQ5 is probably the king but p. much every dq game past 3 has a part that's super hosed up

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Leon still has some funny one liners but outside a couple most of them are said in gameplay now. Stuff like "No thanks, Bro!" or "Your right hand comes off?" are gone and only referenced in achievements.

Wait, so Capcom knew the original was funny and changed it to be less funny on purpose but made sure that the players understand that they absolutely knew they were loving up the remake?

Then again it’s hard to be intentionally b-movie funny-bad on purpose. A remake shooting for camp would likely end up feeling like an Asylum film. Who am I kidding? I’m going to play it anyway.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What the gently caress

Also this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think anything about the dead space remake was really much better or worse than the original which is nice, but also made me wonder what the point of making it was

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
re4 remake is closer in tone to re6. leon still quips mid combat like in the 2 remake but everyone is very sad and grouchy now

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Psycho Landlord posted:

bro why would you ever play OG dead space over the remake

E: before you say anything about Isaac talking I will remind you that Isaac also spoke in Dead Space 2, the best game in the series and uncontested king of action horror

Yeah if you never played the original dead space, the remake is superior and less irritating in almost every way. Hell, they even closed plot holes. It felt easier than the original but that may just be because I played the gently caress out of the OG 1 & 2. Plasma cutter only run was a snap.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No! No!!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont think anything about the dead space remake was really much better or worse than the original which is nice, but also made me wonder what the point of making it was

nostalgia money from dumbasses like me

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Oxxidation posted:

re4 remake is closer in tone to re6. leon still quips mid combat like in the 2 remake but everyone is very sad and grouchy now

Leon punching a boulder to death came from 6 and that’s the nicest thing I can say about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Leon punching a boulder to death came from 6 and that’s the nicest thing I can say about it.

that was Chris and RE5. Leon’s a kick guy

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

lmao look at this nerd, got his boulder punching history wrong

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Oxxidation posted:

Well that tracks, RE6 was very well received and most series fans thought it was a huge step up from 5, let alone 4.

Psycho Landlord posted:

lmao who even gets that wrong

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played the original Dead Space last year because I didn’t feel like waiting for the remake and it kicked rear end and held up very well. Same with the second game

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Psycho Landlord posted:

gently caress then I don’t even remember 6 at all. Was that the racist one or was that 7 too?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

5 was the racist one. 6 was the one that was way too long.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Psycho Landlord posted:

nostalgia money from dumbasses like me

I had a good time but I'd almost rather they did something different and just released a version of the original with updated resolution/framerates like you can play on PC

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

gently caress then I don’t even remember 6 at all. Was that the racist one or was that 7 too?

6 was the one where Chris flies a jet fighter with his hetero life mate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

5 was the racist one, 7 was the first person moldy bayou one, 6 was the one with 6 characters, 3 co op campaigns, and about 40 minutes of content that didn’t make you want to put your head through a wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RE6 is the one where Leon's entire story consists of him being in progressively larger crashing vehicles