Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inflammatory posted:

but kana wasn't even in this chapter

What are you talking about? She's right here.

Even the specter of her attracts suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Uh, whatcha doin' there, Akane

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Certainly not.. SYMBOLISM

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Another example of aka gonna die mad about act age

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
lol @ the last panel, is she a witch?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I have so many questions about that last panel.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Science!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

GateOfD posted:

lol @ the last panel, is she a witch?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

I have so many questions about that last panel.

That cup is from the reality TV show they did. I think she just wants to accidentally end up in the gym storage shed with her crush.

So? Who do you think is going to win the audition? My money is on Kana____

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 30, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Aqua.

Yes, I mean Aqua.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Aqua.

Yes, I mean Aqua.

I don't think Aqua has what it takes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

I don't think Aqua has what it takes.

I mean, she's a full on goddess of arts (and proclaimer of heroes). I think she'd nail it.

It's everything other than the performance on screen that would make her a disaster.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You know, the stuff depicted with Japanese show business isn't really unique from the entertainment industry in other parts of the world, but for some reason it just feels so much more... intractable? Gallingly transparent? To me, at least.

Maybe it's just question of economy of scale, where if you have more movies being made as a whole, there's enough positive examples they can minimize the impact of the bad ones. But this latest chapter just had so many Japanese movies with flavor of the moment performers of various types (and various degrees of acting experience, including "minimal") flashing through my head and had me grimacing the whole time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Japan is a smaller market so for marquee titles they largely import from Hollywood, while for local films they usually just rely on local celebrities rather than attempting to make something actually good. Obviously that's an extreme generalization but when even if you make a great movie and it actually does well it still earns less than the latest american superhero movie, and gets little recognition overseas, it's hard to care.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
No Kana this chapter.

But we have lots of Shiranui.
The acting portion reminded me of Act-Act

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Shiranui seems like a fun character for sure.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The narration comments that while Frill might not be as talented an actor as the likes of Akane, Frill has the charisma, the “star quality”, that makes a person quickly become fascinated by her, to compensate.

So, what was special about Ai, again? Well, she had this charisma, this “star quality” that made everyone fascinated by her.

My point is, why doesn’t the author draw Frill with starry eyes? Doesn’t she have basically what the eyes signify?

Also, where is Kana? If Kana is offscreen, the other characters should be asking “where’s Kana?”

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The eyes also come from determination, which is why Akane was able to manifest them for a little while, and why Aqua lost his.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I just hope this means Oshi no Ko will do more with Frill than Kaguya-sama did with Koromo. It just felt like Koromo was supposed to be a bigger deal than what she ended up being.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think Frill is really good, but I think its all from pure effort rather than natural talent.
her introduction showed that she constantly keeps tabs and research of all current media and who's who. That probably translate to practice and research in the skill of acting as well.

Not saying that Ruby, Akane and Kana don't practice their craft. Kana definitely does practice, but can't break whatever ceiling is around her.
Things just kind of falls into Ruby's lap either thru luck or her own scheming. Akane is a strong balance of effort and talent

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobdLUFcRAQ

The full OP dropped just ahead of the anime and I encourage everyone to listen along with the lyrics.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's perfect. I can barely wait.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
it be neat if like each episode or every two episodes, it changes who sings the OP or ED

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
episode is here.

production values are pretty high imo.

Ai in full color and sound is pretty great.
The 2 hour long episode is also fleshing out scenes alot to add more depth

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
So, who, if anyone, do you think Ruby and Aqua are going to end up with?

Aqua already rejected Akane, and Kana is straight out, because the childhood friend character never wins. I'm guessing it will be Aqua/Mem and Ruby/Akane.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ruby aqua, meme response

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I think the anime is going to warrant its own thread, considering all the spoilers and all now that the premiere is out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GateOfD posted:

episode is here.

production values are pretty high imo.

Ai in full color and sound is pretty great.
The 2 hour long episode is also fleshing out scenes alot to add more depth

Well, Ai's death is just as devastating a second time around. Akasaka really knows how to get me right in the heart.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
based Kana

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Gonna have to watch at least 1 episode of the anime just to hear Pepper Workout

e: here's this week's chapter for anyone who relies on this thread for links.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016056

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 12, 2023

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Whew, first episode of the anime was something. Ai definitely ripped the ol heartstrings.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

wokow6 posted:

I think the anime is going to warrant its own thread, considering all the spoilers and all now that the premiere is out.

Agreed

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Akane is a monster actress lol.

Yeah, that list we got at the start of this arc is how it's actually gonna play out lol.

something I've been thinking about, is how the other members of B-Komachi have been like overtly not mentioned at all. And Putting Ruby(one of the protags), and Kana(the best/second best actress after akane) as members of B-Komachi kinda signal they might be important in the story to come.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

my only issue is i do not see how not giving the literal daughter of ai hoshino the role of ai after the release of that news isn't the biggest money draw possible

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
eh, not impressed with Ruby this chapter.
each chapter needs an omake page showing what Kana is doing if she isn't in the actual chapter

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Wait, Frill didn't tell Ruby and Akane that the role they were auditioning for was Ai? I thought that was clear to them from the start.

Futaba Anzu posted:

ruby aqua, meme response

ewww

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

ruby aqua, meme response

I'd rather not have incest.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

it's definitely going to Akane isn't it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nebrilos posted:

Wait, Frill didn't tell Ruby and Akane that the role they were auditioning for was Ai? I thought that was clear to them from the start.
I thought so too but looking at the previous chapter they just know it's "the leading role in <famous director's> next film" I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Rubellavator posted:

it's definitely going to Akane isn't it?

She definitively nailed it in a single word