Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Looks like fun! I'll try and be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

I loved 31 Minutos. It had strong Muppet Show energy and it was fantastically creative in how it integrated puppet design, backgrounds, and bits around the framework of an educational TV show. A low-key artistic triumph.

Manifisto

I was a big fan of it well. obviously a labor of love stuffed with gags aimed at all ages. fun!

ty nesamdoom!

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
i would have loved to stay longer but it was way too late and I fell asleep with my computer in bed

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you all for coming and SAO again for the pick, I too had a blast. Improving my piss-poor waiter's Spanish (Café? Leche entera, no azúcar, si amiga!) is very high on my list of priorities right now so great media like 31 Minutos is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Happy to hear that everyone had a good time. In case you want more, most if not all episodes from its four seasons are available on Youtube in this playlist. Sadly, a good portion of them don't have English subtitles, so uh, neat as a Spanish learning experience but for most people not very useful. But you should be able to find a few more episodes to watch subbed by clicking a few randomly.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

Happy to hear that everyone had a good time. In case you want more, most if not all episodes from its four seasons are available on Youtube in this playlist. Sadly, a good portion of them don't have English subtitles, so uh, neat as a Spanish learning experience but for most people not very useful. But you should be able to find a few more episodes to watch subbed by clicking a few randomly.

That's cool too though, no subs is just a higher difficulty. There's a couple episodes of El Chavo I can kiiiiinda understand without them, and someday when I can really follow along I'll be ecstatic.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheu3svFkzM

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saturday March 25 at 4pm PDT 7pm EDT, let's watch a documentary! A PBS documentary about outsider-artist-extraordinaire Henry Darger, entitled In the Realms of the Unreal:

If you're unaware, Henry Darger was a janitor who secretly created, among other wonders, what is quite possibly the longest novel ever written, and thousands of enormous paintings, none of which was discovered until he was 80 and in his deathbed. He was not only untrained as an artist but also in general knowledge; some of what he was unaware of is, honestly kind of shocking. But I'll let you discover his remarkable innocence (despite a truly terrifying young life) yourself, it's a singular story.

Plus shorts before the show. https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sigh, quote is not edit...

Anyway, one weird fact about this doc, it's narrated by Dakota Fanning... when she was 7. You'll understand why once you've seen some of Darger's art, it's a BOLD choice that I hope she's still happy with because the effect is really something.

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

I remember hearing about this guy. I can never guarantee showing up on Saturdays, but if I can't I'll definitely catch it on youtube.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
March has been mostly heavy stuff.

We're doing something silly really soon, right?

Leraika

We're doing some weird anime I won in an auction on Wednesday.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
*air guitaring*

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
augh yeah weird amines!

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

BoldFrankensteinMir

Indeed! Tomorrow, Wednesday March 29th at 4pm PDT 7pm EDT, a double feature! Raiders of Galaxy and Defenders of Space!

Both South Korean mech things from the early 80s. I found out this interesting tidbit from IMDB:

IMDB posted:

...in 1945, the Syngman Rhee government in South Korea enacted what was called the Law For Punishing Anti-National Deeds, a protectionist measure that technically banned all non-native Korean media from being published or broadcast in South Korea, but that was implicitly intended to embargo completely Japanese media and culture (mostly because of the 40-year-long annexation of Korea into the Japanese Empire). Unlike the North (which hermetically sealed itself to keep any and all information from getting in), limited "greymarket" Japanese imports seeped into South Korea, and animation producers found there was a market for Japanese anime. But with no legal means to distribute anime in South Korea, animation producers took the IP and made their own shows. The practice disappeared after relaxations in the law starting in the 1990s...

So they're bootleg mech anime, part of a long tradition of bootleg mech anime, ooh. That makes even a tourist like me suddenly want to paint a model kit.

Plus shorts, https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there friends!

Sig by Heather Papps

Dumb Sex-Parrot

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
i'll be there! :stare:

Saoshyant

Remember: these are your taxpayer dollars at work here!

Leraika's, at least :v:

Prof. Crocodile

i think i inherited one of these robot toys from an older cousin. it was a little die-cast metal dude and it's arms swung wildly on loose ball-and-socket joints.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

Remember: these are your taxpayer dollars at work here!

Leraika's, at least :v:

Yes it should be mentioned that tonight's special double-feature is thanks to Leraika's generous bid in the BYOB 2023 auction house. Thank you so much Leraika!

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

So many questions...

Who was Prince Orion?

Why were mother and daughter gonna french kiss before the former died?

Why was MAZINGA so bad it got defeated by a Sony Aibo?

Did they really just add a fire scene at the end of the movie to have Phoenix King turn into a loving firetruck like the Autobot Transformer they had ripped its design from wholesale??

And if the Phoenix King was piloted by a bird, why did the kids have to be inside it at all??

Leraika

phoenix king ain't got time for your questions, buddy

BoldFrankensteinMir

It always bothered me how the scale on Transformers was so loosely defined, so the addition of magical elements is if anything a little reassuring.

At least when Phoenix King turned into a fire truck there was nobody inside, avoiding a PBF type situation

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saturday, April 1st! We begin a whole month deliciously titled "Women's Wrongs": that's right all of April will be devoted to movies with female antagonists! 8 movie nites of lady no-good-niks starting with Russ Meyer's 1965 exploitation classic Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

This story of go-go dancers gone bad is a big silly serving of cheap violence on free California roadside shooting locations, but by skewing even a tiny bit away from the Draconian gender norms of the time it positioned itself brilliantly to become a cult classic full of empowerment narratives that I am extremely doubtful Russ actually had in mind. The real credit for the depth here should go to star Tura Satana who does a better job of acting in this than Meyers deserves, especially while she's dressed in his usual outlandishly decollete costumes. It takes real dedication to actually play a character while half-exposed in silly tight costumes, especially out in the loving salt flats.

Plus shorts before the show, feature starts at 4pm PDT 7pm EDT at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Wow, apparently Satana was her real name, not a stage name. Quite a bio page on IMDB.

BoldFrankensteinMir

It's a better movie than I remembered it and I remembered it being pretty fun.

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

Reading Satana's biography was something else. You can see how much of her character is actually her. She did all her own stunts and knows a few martial arts. The one liners during the film were mostly her own too.

Although the real Satana only beat the poo poo out of people irl who truly deserved it. Never random folks like in this film.

The wiki article for the movie is also a gas. With one reviewer despising it and what it stood for on her first watch in the 70s but then absolutely adoring it when watching it again in the 90s.

Saoshyant

Sounds like I missed a good one.

Plant MONSTER.

I have a feeling it might show up the next time we have a "best-of" reshowing.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Whoops sorry, forgot to announce but tonight we're watching Detour!

It's a noir, it's great, it's Edgar G Ulmer who also directed Bluebeard which I remember us enjoying, shorts start in ten minutes https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies okay see you there bye!

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Ann Savage had a... savage performance :dadjoke:

I could do with listening to way less of all that monologuing from the Tom Neals character, though.

I'm looking up information about the movie now. This review is really great:

"This movie from Hollywood's poverty row, shot in six days*, filled with technical errors and ham-handed narrative, starring a man who can only pout and a woman who can only sneer, should have faded from sight soon after it was released in 1945. And yet it lives on, haunting and creepy, an embodiment of the guilty soul of film noir. No one who has seen it has easily forgotten it."
--Roger Ebert, The Great Movies

*this part turns out to be an urban legend and the film was shot in 14 days, which is still amazing

BoldFrankensteinMir

That's really cool, thank you! Ebert's relationship to noir is fraught, he totally gets that it's the fire where the bulk of American cinematic language is forged but he's also sick of all that language and wants to see something totally new. He really embodies that late 70's moviegoer so well, and you can see why we had a 30's retro revival in the late 80's early 90's, it was because of guys like Ebert writing about those movies with such mystique.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight let's watch another noir for Women's Wrongs month! 'Cause I for one am a gullible dope who can't get enough femme fatale, you? It's 1945's Leave Her to Heaven!

This technicolor thriller was the most profitable film of the entire 1940's for Twentieth-Century Fox and it's now in the registry as a national treasure. It stars two movie nite stars we've seen before, of course Mr Vincent Price but also Jeanne Crain, who we saw in Pinky back in February.

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies, with shorts before the show!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdzRrvcV7M

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

Who's this imposter?? Where's Coupé??

BoldFrankensteinMir

Guest star Coupon Camel! Also special guest puppeteer my mom, who, fun fact, is the camerawoman on Coupon Crab videos, so we switched for this one!

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Guest star Coupon Camel! Also special guest puppeteer my mom, who, fun fact, is the camerawoman on Coupon Crab videos, so we switched for this one!

I... I didn't think these could get more wholesome.

Saoshyant posted:

Who's this imposter?? Where's Coupé??

On a well deserved vacation.

Saoshyant

Always love to learn about the behind the scenes :allears:

Bright Bart posted:

I... I didn't think these could get more wholesome.

Plant MONSTER.

Seriously! Super cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! Women's Wrongs month continues with the 1949 film noir Too Late for Tears!

This film is directed by Byron Haskin, who you may know as a regular collaborator of Movie Nite favorite George Pal (The Great Rupert): the two of them later made War of the Worlds together! This film stars Lizabeth Scott, a prominent leading lady of film Noir known for a famously "smoky" voice. Gosh I wonder how people in the 40's got those...

4pm PDT 7pm EDT at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps