Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Combo posted:

OOO this is a great point, I don't think so but very possibly. I had to go on a hiring/coerce spree to get to the infernal dungeon.

edit: That was it, thank you, I was pulling my hair out

Haha, yes this was me yesterday. I had also grabbed some random dude to fulfill some purpose and then I was just running circles around town day and night.

I'm glad I could save you some of the same stress I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hah, I had that issue with the quest where you obviously have to find a pattern in Cropdale; I'd scoured the town, left in frustration and come back hours later like five times and found nothing. Turns out it was on the guy I picked up at the start of Agnea's story before I had any party members who could glean information, who I never summoned or dismissed because he made her dances restore SP.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I’m almost done the game, I just have the final optional boss fight to do. I tried when I was in mid to low 70’s and got utterly destroyed and levelled up so most of my crew is now low 80’s.

Is there a good guide for it? Kinda done with the game at this point and just want to knock it off to finish it all up, so don’t wanna throw myself at it too much.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The Black Stones posted:

So I’m almost done the game, I just have the final optional boss fight to do. I tried when I was in mid to low 70’s and got utterly destroyed and levelled up so most of my crew is now low 80’s.

Is there a good guide for it? Kinda done with the game at this point and just want to knock it off to finish it all up, so don’t wanna throw myself at it too much.

First party: Hikari, Armsmaster. Partitio, Cleric. Agnea, Cleric. Cassti, again, doesn't really matter. If Hikari's attack is low, I recommend Upgraded Accessories and two Champion Belts, which you can farm from the Arena by talking to the reception. Hikari should have Lionheart Axe, and if you have either weapon that increases physical skills, slap it on. They buff skills outside of their weapon class.

Second, Throne, Osvald with Apoc, Temenos and Ochette with Merchant.

Make sure it's night time.

A step ahead is near essential for all characters, peak performance for any combat characters, I put BP Regeneration on Throné for phase 2.

Cassti should always be using her mixtures, always two BP leaves and diffusing and strengthening. You can only do these four your first turn. Next turn, Physical attack for the fifth item if Cassti goes first. The boss' damage over time won't be in effect yet.

You want to use Merchant's hired help to use ruffian on the arms in phase 1. One boost point to make it last two turns, the first turn being the Step Aheas you're currently on. Agnea uses her dancer divine on Hikari so his attacks hit all. On her second turn, Cleric Divine on Hikari.

Hikari then should shred the arms in one go with full boosted Lionheart Axe, leaving the eye open. You want to repeat the Ruffian process, full boosted. Now, you could use Sixfold Flurry on the eye to unveil three weaknesses and boost Lionheart further but that depends on your move order. This was all I needed for phase 1.

Phase two, you use Ruffian on the parts again. You will always want Throné's latent power up so she can Aeber and restore her BP, but this first turn you may want to put a BP jam on Osvald and Temenos.

Temenos should use his Cleric divine on her asap, so preferably Ochette does the Ruffian attack. Osvald, use his Apoc divine on himself, so that you can constantly fully restore everyone every turn with jams.

Once the pieces are destroyed, Ruffian again and have Throné go nuts. Hired assassins can help with the break, but i didnt need to break the second phase.

I did upload a video but I don't know how to post it here without the thumbnail spoiling people.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just walked into a little mountain town called Crackridge and stumbled into something of a trap.

Some weird scholar is blocking a door and because I was too lazy to get Castti, I just assaulted this guy with Ochette.

I've been wacking that guy with my Pokémon for about half an hour now and despite his rather low rating, he keeps tanking hits like a motherfucker. I had to put my Switch down and take a break.

I don't want to be spoiled on what this guy is guarding, but how many HP does he have??? Is this random scholar some kind of hidden super-boss?

If it's one of those cases where you're not supposed to fight an NPC, I'll probably just take the loss and put him to sleep later...

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Finished Cassti's Chapter 1 and was definitely not expecting there to be some kind of glitch in the Animus at the end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Libluini posted:

I just walked into a little mountain town called Crackridge and stumbled into something of a trap.

Some weird scholar is blocking a door and because I was too lazy to get Castti, I just assaulted this guy with Ochette.

I've been wacking that guy with my Pokémon for about half an hour now and despite his rather low rating, he keeps tanking hits like a motherfucker. I had to put my Switch down and take a break.

I don't want to be spoiled on what this guy is guarding, but how many HP does he have??? Is this random scholar some kind of hidden super-boss?

If it's one of those cases where you're not supposed to fight an NPC, I'll probably just take the loss and put him to sleep later...

There’s a reason that guy is so tough. The item behind him is From the Far Reaches of Hell, hence why he is freaking the gently caress out if you talk to him or scrutinize/inquire. Especially at night! You need the book for a side quest that eventually unlocks the secret boss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There’s a reason that guy is so tough. The item behind him is From the Far Reaches of Hell, hence why he is freaking the gently caress out if you talk to him or scrutinize/inquire. Especially at night! You need the book for a side quest that eventually unlocks the secret boss.

Huh, explains why his info an Casttinazing him was just something like the word doom repeated endlessly

welp I guess I'll just let him cave Ochette's head in and then come back later with some drugs and solve this the peaceful way

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FireWorksWell posted:

First party: Hikari, Armsmaster. Partitio, Cleric. Agnea, Cleric. Cassti, again, doesn't really matter. If Hikari's attack is low, I recommend Upgraded Accessories and two Champion Belts, which you can farm from the Arena by talking to the reception. Hikari should have Lionheart Axe, and if you have either weapon that increases physical skills, slap it on. They buff skills outside of their weapon class.

Second, Throne, Osvald with Apoc, Temenos and Ochette with Merchant.

Make sure it's night time.

A step ahead is near essential for all characters, peak performance for any combat characters, I put BP Regeneration on Throné for phase 2.

Cassti should always be using her mixtures, always two BP leaves and diffusing and strengthening. You can only do these four your first turn. Next turn, Physical attack for the fifth item if Cassti goes first. The boss' damage over time won't be in effect yet.

You want to use Merchant's hired help to use ruffian on the arms in phase 1. One boost point to make it last two turns, the first turn being the Step Aheas you're currently on. Agnea uses her dancer divine on Hikari so his attacks hit all. On her second turn, Cleric Divine on Hikari.

Hikari then should shred the arms in one go with full boosted Lionheart Axe, leaving the eye open. You want to repeat the Ruffian process, full boosted. Now, you could use Sixfold Flurry on the eye to unveil three weaknesses and boost Lionheart further but that depends on your move order. This was all I needed for phase 1.

Phase two, you use Ruffian on the parts again. You will always want Throné's latent power up so she can Aeber and restore her BP, but this first turn you may want to put a BP jam on Osvald and Temenos.

Temenos should use his Cleric divine on her asap, so preferably Ochette does the Ruffian attack. Osvald, use his Apoc divine on himself, so that you can constantly fully restore everyone every turn with jams.

Once the pieces are destroyed, Ruffian again and have Throné go nuts. Hired assassins can help with the break, but i didnt need to break the second phase.

I did upload a video but I don't know how to post it here without the thumbnail spoiling people.

Thanks, that should help. Do you have PM’s? Can send me the link for the video that way if you want.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That's kind of a coincidence, I was searching for that thing! Now I actually have two out of three quest items for that quest. (Also it turned out I was being overly dramatic: After five more minutes, the fucker suddenly dropped unconscious from Ochette's owl giving him one last peck. Kind of anticlimactic.)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The Black Stones posted:

Thanks, that should help. Do you have PM’s? Can send me the link for the video that way if you want.

Nah, I can just try breaking up the link here actually.

Edit: or not, whoops

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 28, 2023

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Somehow, that still displays the video in the Awful app?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Closing in on the end, I've finished up all the voiced side quests and have one more crossed path.

My team is sat at level 50 so I imagine, as always, I'm going to be woefully underleveled, which is fine.

I'm thinking about Final Parties and I'm probably doing this

Team 1:

Throne - Thief/Hunter - Debuff - Throne uses her latent and large number of weapons to break shields and drop debuffs like leghold, corrosive and others. Has Aeber's as a backup damage option.
Agnea - Dancer/Thief - Damage - Agnea has the highest base speed in the game so it makes sense to turn her into an Aeber's one trick. Latent gives her the ability to mass debuff if need be. Can self dance to give herself 5-7 turns of physical damage up.
Temenos - Cleric/Scholar - Healer - Heals when needed, analyses enemies when needed. Scholar really is only there to expose weak points.
Castii - Apothecary/Armsmaster - Battery - Batteries the party until break phase, then can hurl out Armsmaster actions to amp party damage. Her PAtk is nothing to sniff at so this is a good secondary damage source.

Team 2:

Ochette - Hunter/Thief - Debuff - Reverse Throne, essentially the same role here, with Aeber's as damage backup.
Hikkari - Warrior/Conjurer - Damage - Brand's Blade bot. Conjurer so he can add a second elemental
Oswald - Scholar/Cleric - Healer - The reverse Temenos, unsurprisingly.
Partitio - Merchant/Inventor - Battery - I know that Arcanist Partitio is OP but I didn't figure it out myself so it feels like it's cheating to use it. So inventor it is. Mostly he spends his time donating BP to battery the party.

There's a lot more here honestly, Agnea/Ochette should be really good because of Ochette's ability to mass buff the party, but I think I want to keep this as simple as I can because thinking to hard will fry my brain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy crap, Throné :catstare:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FireWorksWell posted:

Ok, just one question. What do you mean by “hired assassin?” There’s no merchant skill by that name.

My second party just can’t stand up to his onslaught. I just start to get outright murdered. Ochette just seems useless later in the fight because hired help is good to begin with for the multiple enemies, but then the boss just keeps throwing the debuffs off of himself.

I changed up some stuff (put on a bunch of terror stopping accessories because they try stonewall me at the beginning of the fight with it) but I’m not sure how to keep up against him.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 28, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The foreign assassins, sorry. You can fight them in the overworld, I believe above the entrance to Merry Hills, and recruit them agter

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Combo posted:

I was doing Osvald arcanist but honestly Partitio is the best arcanist and it's not even close, so I've had osvald as a priest if I need to pack some healing, or just a conjurer for more utility. I haven't used him a ton since I finished his chapter and was able to take him out of my party.

What makes Partitio the best Arcanist? I've been using Hikari as Arcanist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ChrisBTY posted:

What makes Partitio the best Arcanist? I've been using Hikari as Arcanist.

Seal of Diffusion works with Sidestep and Rest. This lets Partitio give the party Evade or lets him heal the party a considerable amount of HP/SP and clearing status effects. His Latent also makes it very easy for him to set up; use his initial BP on Seal of Diffusion, then pop his Latent turn 2 for max Sidestep and he can then use the rest for Rest or just wait til the boss is broken for Hired Help for damage or just use it for Donate BP or some other utility. It works great on any boss that uses mainly physical attacks but he's still a solid healer/support otherwise.

I don't use it much now since it gets a bit dull (and I'm not a fan of how it covers the face for everyone), but no denying that it's effective.

Hikari is also a decent option for it and Osvald can use it with Stroke of Genius, so it's not exactly locked to Partitio for benefits.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2023

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My team for when I want to accomplish things is.

Ochette/Armsmaster
Hikari/Arcanist
Temenos/Merchant
Castii/Elementalist

Hikari deals so much damage than anybody else it's ridiculous. I'm not even 100% sure how. I even hit 99,999 with the spear skill you learn from one of the Beast Women in the Nameless Village.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
What are some good spots to grind a couple levels midgame? I've done most everyone's second story chunk (and the third one for some, Agnea/Throne/technically osvald) and aside from my main (Temenos) my cast is a couple levels shy of the 24 recc for the next couple quests on the map. I've got decent equipment so I might just be good to go and do it now but I'm wary.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

saladscooper posted:

What are some good spots to grind a couple levels midgame? I've done most everyone's second story chunk (and the third one for some, Agnea/Throne/technically osvald) and aside from my main (Temenos) my cast is a couple levels shy of the 24 recc for the next couple quests on the map. I've got decent equipment so I might just be good to go and do it now but I'm wary.

I feel like Seat of the Water Sprite was around mid 20s. Otherwise just roam around whatever areas you can handle for a bit, you shouldn't have to grind too hard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Combo posted:

I feel like Seat of the Water Sprite was around mid 20s. Otherwise just roam around whatever areas you can handle for a bit, you shouldn't have to grind too hard.

There's also the Bandit's Hideout north of Flamechurch, the Abandoned Waterway north of New Delsta, the Usurper's Cave somewhere near Canalbrine/Oresrush.

saladscooper posted:

I've got decent equipment so I might just be good to go and do it now but I'm wary.

Honestly you're probably fine, especially if you have a couple memberships at the job guilds.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Finished Partitio’s story today and drat. I’ll never forget his character theme. It’s locked in my brain with the greats.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

7/8 stories down, only Osvald remains.

Castii's story didn't 100% land with me. Force ghosts, some pretty big suspension of disbelief required, heel turn by the bad guy felt inorganic (goes from desperately caring about everybody to trying to commit omnicide in one story beat)

Edit: 8/8, Osvald finished Good story to end on, given that it's the story with the most focus on the Shadow

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 29, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ChrisBTY posted:

7/8 stories down, only Osvald remains.

Castii's story didn't 100% land with me. Force ghosts, some pretty big suspension of disbelief required, heel turn by the bad guy felt inorganic (goes from desperately caring about everybody to trying to commit omnicide in one story beat)

Edit: 8/8, Osvald finished Good story to end on, given that it's the story with the most focus on the Shadow

Re: Castti’s story it will be explained in more detail in the final chapter but the key part is when Trousseau said that he met a stranger who made him realize that all life is suffering. He was already upset about losing a patient he cared about and as Malaya said, the darkness crept into his heart. And then the power he was granted was the Shadow. The sudden turn makes sense.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Still working my way through this and enjoying it alot. It was really fun to encounter the plant boss that hits you for like, idk almost all the negative status effects in the game on it's first turn and entirely disable your team and then come back after eating that loss like, hah, take that, castti ruins your day because she's now immune to half the poo poo you just did and she'll fix everyone else right up and then completely roll that boss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oops, made some progress with Ochette's story and already hit the damage cap. Now I know why goons prefer to make Ochette a Hunter/Warrior combo. Curse me and my love for fancy hats making her an inventor instead. :lol:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Luckily JP is universal, so all that JP you save from being in Inventor can immediately be used to unlock abilities in Warrior.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao DOLCINEALAND. I'm dying :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Endgame spoilers.

Up against the super boss. I'm only level 53. It's frustrating because I actually have a strategy that means I can hold out against it for ages and get like 3-4 phases on the core, but I just don't have the damage to bust through before it starts calling the adds that are immune to all but one element

The worst part is I'm *convinced* it's doable.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 30, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

Lmao DOLCINEALAND. I'm dying :v:

I definitely had to take a moment after that one myself.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
damnit, i really wish i could figure out what's going on when i try and play this with steam proton on linux

there's some lighting issue where places are ridiculously dark, and often the world map won't load, and it'll just be a town icons on a brown field

it only does this _sometimes_ though. other times i will load the game and the map will be fine. the lighting never really fixes completely but it will sometimes be better

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Game just crashed right after the beat the last boss Or more likely it's first form. I dunno because the game crashed
Edit: Ok I'm now just glad it crashed after the first and not after the second. That was a war. Is there anything between beating the last boss and the epilogue I can miss?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 30, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Only thing I've found (final chapter) is that you can go to the church in Flamechurch and Mindt will no longer be there, and some priest will have a line wondering where she went. I don't think there's anything of note.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are there any hints in game to where the rusty weapons are? I don't want to just look up a guide but I've only stumbled across one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are there any hints in game to where the rusty weapons are? I don't want to just look up a guide but I've only stumbled across one.

The job masters will give hints if you talk to them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Most are hidden in side dungeons, including some in the 45ish range. There's only one that is actually obtained from doing a Side Story.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Cheers

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mega64 posted:

Most are hidden in side dungeons, including some in the 45ish range. There's only one that is actually obtained from doing a Side Story.

Though for the record, don't bother with any dungeon that has a recommended level of exactly 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

They give hints for the legendary equipment, not the rusty weapons. They’re two separate things.