Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Quick Zero question. Will an item that protects against death blows protect you from the vanish attack? I can only recall seeing that in a couple Sky 2 and 3 battles at the very end, and drat, it is really annoying. In Zero, it first shows up at the end of chapter 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hepcat posted:

Quick Zero question. Will an item that protects against death blows protect you from the vanish attack? I can only recall seeing that in a couple Sky 2 and 3 battles at the very end, and drat, it is really annoying. In Zero, it first shows up at the end of chapter 2!
vanish and deathblow are separate status effects, so i dont think so

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

hepcat posted:

Those two statuses are separate things altogether and the accessory that protects against the former doesn't shield you from the latter. In fact, there's no way to protect yourself from the latter, even with the grail locket. Stuff to counteract the latter status wasn't introduced until the Cold Steel games.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 hours!)

Chapter 1 done in Azure
Kind of annoying how the burst mechanic is on and off only specific points, not like having it available during regular mob clearing and exploring is that much of a game breaker since it still takes time to build.

Randy is back. Probably gonna throw out Wazy and keep Randy in, his flash grenade aoe blind is just really good utility overall, at least from the first game.
Shirley sure looks a lot different here than when I saw her in the Cold Steel games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GateOfD posted:

Shirley sure looks a lot different here than when I saw her in the Cold Steel games.

Well yeah, Azure is two years before CS3/4

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

Erpy posted:

Those two statuses are separate things altogether and the accessory that protects against the former doesn't shield you from the latter. In fact, there's no way to protect yourself from the latter, even with the grail locket. Stuff to counteract the latter status wasn't introduced until the Cold Steel games.

I was afraid of that. Thanks!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Hahaha I just shuddered reading this. Those fights are burned into my brain.

Nothing quite like going "Eh, I'll just hit them all with this attack" and then immediately wiping seconds later.

Learned my lesson about not reading mission/enemy descriptions.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

GateOfD posted:

i freaking hate the monster fight where its like 10 wurms that counterattack aoe you

These are in almost every game and they've always had the same solution: Don't AOE them.

Like, you can either burst them all down at once, which yes, can work, but you will absolutely die if it doesn't.

Or you can methodically pick them off, which takes much longer, but is a trillion times safer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reverie/Hajimari chapter 2 TRC: can I just grind here as much as I want and get a whole crapton of equipment and items?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Reverie/Hajimari chapter 2 TRC: can I just grind here as much as I want and get a whole crapton of equipment and items?

Yes, though later floors will be more convenient and have better rewards, so doing it extensively early on isn't the best bang for your time bucks. It is a pretty chill and fun grind if you're into that though so don't let me stop you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MythosDragon posted:

Mind Control talk I personally take much more issue with Weissman and Bootleg Weissman having mind control powers than I do essentially a god having mind control powers.

This is kind of dumb, because Weissman's abilities actually require some level of active conditioning to specific individuals, and are done using Church techniques/knowledge. Meanwhile the "a god did it" thing is almost never going to be an interesting plot point

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo that would have been fantastic.

My wish after playing CS3 (that I knew wouldn't happen) was for Ash to be the final Divine Knight person.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

That's not a problem with S-crafts, but with balancing. Before Cold Steel, craft attacks are near useless because any physical attack you could make is eclipsed by arts damage, so the only reason to use your CP is on buffs or taunt or other non-damaging effects. Then you reach Cold Steel where damage crafts are useful, but now you don't know which ones are the most efficient because the budgeting is all over the place. You have C rank crafts that are more efficient than S rank crafts, and it becomes very confusing.

I like being able to pop S-crafts at will. I wish enemy bosses could do the same, keeping you on your toes.

I don't really enjoy having to budget between S-Crafts and normal Crafts, though, so I wish S-Crafts had a separate gauge or something (in another thread I think I mentioned how they could maybe become usable through building some gauge by using regular Crafts).

It just creates a bad feeling knowing that I'm forgoing the option to do an S-Craft if I choose to use my various interesting Crafts. Or trying to calculate if I use a buffing Craft and build up my CP fast enough to use my S-Craft while it's still active. I can see how some people might enjoy that sort of thing, but I don't.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I mean, yes, that is the nature of the tradeoff as designed. S-Crafts are nice and flashy, but unless they can end the battle right then and there, it's usually better to hold onto CP.

I tend to shy away from spending CP on buffs if I plan to S-Break. In those cases, I tend to use a food item to either provide me with the buff I want, or the CP to replace what I spent on the buff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Terper posted:

Yes, though later floors will be more convenient and have better rewards, so doing it extensively early on isn't the best bang for your time bucks. It is a pretty chill and fun grind if you're into that though so don't let me stop you.

Still Reverie!

I guess that makes sense. I assume I have to wait for plot beats to get access to better quartz at the Exchange shop anyway.

Also, I assume I'm not the first person to say how much it resembles the Hermit's Garden from Sky 3rd?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I mean, yes, that is the nature of the tradeoff as designed. S-Crafts are nice and flashy, but unless they can end the battle right then and there, it's usually better to hold onto CP.

I tend to shy away from spending CP on buffs if I plan to S-Break. In those cases, I tend to use a food item to either provide me with the buff I want, or the CP to replace what I spent on the buff.
Nah, the point of S-Crafts is to prevent the enemy from hitting an HP+30% turn. Or a vanish one...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Still Reverie!

I guess that makes sense. I assume I have to wait for plot beats to get access to better quartz at the Exchange shop anyway.

Also, I assume I'm not the first person to say how much it resembles the Hermit's Garden from Sky 3rd?

Yeah Reverie is very much a 'the 3rd' type game for Crossbell/Cold Steel, it's just that the main plot happens in the real world.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Man oh man did I not expect sprite work completely dedicated to a single scene in which a teenager gropes a woman to the delight of all the onlookers for over a minute of dialog.

...I hope it's a single scene. Zero was fairly restrained, but...does Azure get much worse than this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, it's a low point of the series that makes a brief return in CS4 and hopefully never again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Prowler posted:

Man oh man did I not expect sprite work completely dedicated to a single scene in which a teenager gropes a woman to the delight of all the onlookers for over a minute of dialog.

...I hope it's a single scene. Zero was fairly restrained, but...does Azure get much worse than this?

Basically everything that people hate about Cold Steel comes from Azure. No further sexual assault in Azure at least, aside from that scene.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Prowler posted:

The Evo version even had a CG dedicated to that moment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

No, it's a low point of the series that makes a brief return in CS4 and hopefully never again.
the cs4 version is also shorter and shirley's an adult by then. and duvalie seems more annoyed than actively horrified/endangered. woke cold steel wins again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She tries it on Rixia but can't find an opening

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Endorph posted:

the cs4 version is also shorter and shirley's an adult by then. and duvalie seems more annoyed than actively horrified/endangered. woke cold steel wins again.

That was CS3

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Damm

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
isn't your surrogate daughter a datable option, is that a woke thing now

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

That was CS3

In my defence, CS1+2 and CS3+4 are basically both a single game split in two. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

In my defence, CS1+2 and CS3+4 are basically both a single game split in two. :colbert:

It's kind of amazing how giant and bloated that arc got.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Prowler posted:

Was pretty great

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

At least combination crafts still do good damage.
I get confused when the old 100-solo crafts seem to do less damage or only like 10% more damage than a generic melee attack

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Combo crafts should do more damage than "regular" S-Crafts, since they cost 200 CP total and you can't S-Break with them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cold Steel's biggest flaw is obviously the fact that Combo Crafts didnt come back for either arc.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cold Steel's cast is way too big for Combos, but Chain Crafts would have been cool.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Entire Team 200 CP all at once craft when.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm more annoyed that neither Burst nor Overdrive made an appearance past the game they were introduced in.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even Trails to Azure's cast was too big for Combo Crafts. Chain Crafts are essentially what Cold Steel 1-4's Burst does, although I guess what you mean is that it doesn't have the neat special animations that the Chain Crafts did.

Honestly after reading what Azure's Burst does, Overdrive is just Azure's Burst except it's three turns split between two people instead of six-or-seven turns for the whole party, you get two uses instead of one, you have it in every part of the game, and Overdrive doesn't decay once the meter is full. Other than that, the two mechanics have almost identical effects.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

isn't your surrogate daughter a datable option, is that a woke thing now
if you mean altina thats weird but i dont remember any dialog implying it as a father/daughter thing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shirleys a lot nicer here in Azure.
in CS, she was kind of a jerk 24/7

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Believe it or not, you actually have that backwards - which should tell you a lot about how big a jerk she really is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shirley not

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Even Trails to Azure's cast was too big for Combo Crafts. Chain Crafts are essentially what Cold Steel 1-4's Burst does, although I guess what you mean is that it doesn't have the neat special animations that the Chain Crafts did.

Honestly after reading what Azure's Burst does, Overdrive is just Azure's Burst except it's three turns split between two people instead of six-or-seven turns for the whole party, you get two uses instead of one, you have it in every part of the game, and Overdrive doesn't decay once the meter is full. Other than that, the two mechanics have almost identical effects.

"Except for all these differences, these mechanics are identical!!"

And yes, Chain Crafts are basically Cold Steel Burst, except that 5 BP takes a lot longer to accumulate than CP and after CS3, using BP for burst is a huge waste compared to using them for Brave Orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/1641660541218492416

lol at the mini claimh solais