Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Playoffs are coming up soon. If you want a place to chat with goons real time about hockey and other sports and video games and such, there’s a very much unofficial SAS NHL Discord server you can join, here’s the invite link: https://discord.gg/aatr9vy9qv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol, "of all teams."

They've won more than they've lost including OTL, the gently caress are you talking about.

Not sure what's hard for you to understand about that statement. It was surprising that they're a team that beat the Bruins instead of some of the other teams they've played recently, like Tampa or Carolina, because Nashville isn't a good team. They're a non-playoff, 37-36 team, from the weaker conference, who sold players at the deadline, and have a negative goal differential.

Then again Boston almost exclusively loses to bad teams so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised they lost to the Predators.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There are people who think Nashville doesn't suck?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Idk man I hear a lot about how much Nashville sucks but they seem to have the Islanders' number every time we meet. Although we certainly aren't that good of a team ourselves, despite still clinging onto WC1 for dear life.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

Playoffs are coming up soon. If you want a place to chat with goons real time about hockey and other sports and video games and such, there’s a very much unofficial SAS NHL Discord server you can join, here’s the invite link: https://discord.gg/aatr9vy9qv

i regret to inform you that this discord is cool and fun and accepting

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs last game against Nashville was definitely the first time I thought they looked outright bad instead of their historical “limited but pesky” identity. Usually despite lacking in firepower for years you’d still think going into their building you’d be in for a tough game, noooooot so much lately.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Koopa Kid posted:

The Leafs last game against Nashville was definitely the first time I thought they looked outright bad instead of their historical “limited but pesky” identity. Usually despite lacking in firepower for years you’d still think going into their building you’d be in for a tough game, noooooot so much lately.

yeah they looked terrible when the Rangers played them recently

lots of injuries and selling guys at the deadline are probably to blame but they were also not really on an upward trend before that

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

big black turnout posted:

We suck so loving bad we can't even tank correctly

Some of the credit should go to a Jets team desperately fighting for 8th allowing itself to get shut out by a Sharks team desperately fighting for 32nd.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Jets are merely playing nth dimensional chess by getting out of the central division bracket and into the west

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/1641169525356756994?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

A defenseman on the worst team in the league winning the Norris is going to bring out some unbelievable takes and I can’t wait. Erik is back baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think he'll win the Norris for that specific reason. Fox is close enough that I think a lot of people will give it to Fox instead.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dude's leading his team in scoring by 30 points and has a shot at cracking 100

I'm fairly certain that's unprecedented in the league, he absolutely deserves it and no one else is even close this year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He already won the Norris on the worst team in the league one time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am loath to give Jack Edwards any credit but when the Bruins played the Sharks he mentioned that, while Karlsson should and probably will win the Norris, it's kind of odd that the "best defenseman" doesn't kill penalties

Edit: looked up the numbers and he's averaging about 20 seconds of SH time per game. He's got about 27 minutes total TOI shorthanded this year. It also looks like he never really killed penalties except for a window in his late 20s/early 30s.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 29, 2023

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He already won the Norris on the worst team in the league one time.

and with any luck he'll win the Norris on the second worst team in the league this year, and he can run it on back to try for a 3rd place Norris and get the clean sweep

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We'll see. I heard the snail they make the stuff he's on out of recently went extinct.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Since when has the Norris trophy ever cared about defense

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Mike Green had all those goals.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Probably when Rod Langway won it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Dude's leading his team in scoring by 30 points and has a shot at cracking 100

I'm fairly certain that's unprecedented in the league, he absolutely deserves it and no one else is even close this year

I think Karlsson should win but I think he will not for narrative reasons.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think Karlsson should win because it could make some Rangers fans and/or media types really mad.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1641207702641692674?s=20

can someone please tell teams doing a rangers "letter to the fans" doesn't automatically mean you get their results

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think Karlsson should win but I think he will not for narrative reasons.

Karlsson is a slam dunk for the Norris. It's really who rounds the top three with Makar, Hughes, Hamilton, Fox, Dahlin and Morrissey all pretty much equally deserving of nominations. I figure it'll be Makar and Hamilton.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Ginette Reno posted:

Since when has the Norris trophy ever cared about defense

Still bitter about Doughty winning it in 2016 over Karlsson. EK led his team in scoring by 21pts, and had 31 more points than Doughty (who was 5th on his team in scoring.)

Doughty Was Due though according to every Canadian sportswriter

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/1641168356882493440?t=GgZWXyt5c4WhCNwxtcxTHQ&s=19

Reset the "Days Since Coyotes Bullshit" sign back to 0

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1641214383496765443?s=20

Fantastic, fantastic deal. Chytil has basically the same amount of EV goals and points as Bo Horvat in 6minutes less of playing time a night (only 14:34!). He's evolved into a responsible two-way center with an absolutely insane smokeshow shot and good instincts to find space in the slot. He'll be in a nice place to cash in, and this guarantees Zibanejad-Trocheck-Chytil as center depth for this little window, and that's great. He'll probably be able to be the 2nd line center as Trocheck evolves and plays more of a "good 3rd line center" Jordan Staal type role. He's 48th in points at even strength by a center (again, near Horvat/Hayes/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/JT Miller) getting a lot less ice time.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1641214383496765443?s=20

Fantastic, fantastic deal. Chytil has basically the same amount of EV goals and points as Bo Horvat in 6minutes less of playing time a night (only 14:34!). He's evolved into a responsible two-way center with an absolutely insane smokeshow shot and good instincts to find space in the slot. He'll be in a nice place to cash in, and this guarantees Zibanejad-Trocheck-Chytil as center depth for this little window, and that's great. He'll probably be able to be the 2nd line center as Trocheck evolves and plays more of a "good 3rd line center" Jordan Staal type role. He's 48th in points at even strength by a center (again, near Horvat/Hayes/Bergeron/Barkov/Hertl/JT Miller) getting a lot less ice time.

This is wonderful news

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Excellent deal for Chytil. Still underrated as hell (only below Kakko).

https://twitter.com/based_shesty/status/1641217923640442880

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 30, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Excellent deal for Chytil. Still underrated as hell (only below Kakko).

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1641217941512368139?s=20

https://twitter.com/LeszekGronowski/status/1625180159459442725

very happy! 12.3m now to sign Miller/Laf + backup G, winger, etc. Gotta think they'll try to have Othmann/Jones/Robertson/etc. fill those roles and just use Vesey in the top 9 until the deadline again next year.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What an awesome deal for him

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Weren't Rangers fans down on Chytil like, as recently as last season? Or am I thinking of another bozo

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Weren't Rangers fans down on Chytil like, as recently as last season? Or am I thinking of another bozo

He’s gotten labeled as injury prone (so was Mika). and he was a little streaky but he caught fire in the playoffs last year and has been drat good this season. Needs to be a little more consistent but hes still young (which is crazy considering hes been in the league for 5 years).

Easily Gorton’s best pick during his tenure.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

We were hoping he'd have a big season after an impressive preseason, but he had a really bad shooting year until the playoffs at like 6%. Which, given the eye test on his shot, is bonkers. He has a terrific shot. He also struggled last year finding chemistry when played with Panarin on the second line. In the playoffs, they put the kid line together and he had 7 goals and looked great.

We all love Kakko who has been slowly developing into a two-way beast and great playmaker. Him and Chytil have great chemistry--Kakko likes to do fancy stickhandling around the net and cycle, and Chytil gets open and shifts through the slot.

Lafreniere has struggled a bunch this year and didn't take the step we were hoping he'd take, but he'll end up with good production for his role and has been playing pretty good lately. We'd like to see him light it up, but there's progress in a difficult situation. Panarin and Kreider are still playing at all-star levels, so he's gonna be on the third line for the next year or two still unless he learns to play RW, which Gallant doesn't like him at for whatever reason. He looked good earlier in the year there with Panarin-Trocheck as his linemates.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He was so poorly viewed that the Canucks turned down a deal of him, Lundqvist and a 1st for JT Miller at last year's deadline. Whoops.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

A defenseman on the worst team in the league winning the Norris is going to bring out some unbelievable takes and I can’t wait. Erik is back baby

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think he'll win the Norris for that specific reason. Fox is close enough that I think a lot of people will give it to Fox instead.

I love Fox, boy howdy do I love Fox, but Karlsson has a chance of leading the NHL in even strength points this season, which only Bobby Orr did I believe twice--outright in 74/75 and tied with Walt Tkaczuk in 69/70. That's an insane achievement IMO, especially given his team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Miro should be in the conversation (nowhere near EK, but c'mon, he's fantastic and has 50+ apples) but he plays for Dallas so lol.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel like Miro's season is flying waaaaay under the radar, even to fans who are more tuned in to the game than others. I probably watch a different hockey game just about every night, and I know that Miro is a great player, but it hadn't really clicked for me that he's probably going to double his career high in scoring this year until I happened to be looking at Dallas' stat leaders

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

Miro should be in the conversation (nowhere near EK, but c'mon, he's fantastic and has 50+ apples) but he plays for Dallas so lol.
Do people think Dallas players are severely disadvantaged in award voting or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I decided to run the numbers and statistically the best d-man getting 65+% dzone starts with a positive e+/- is...

(drum roll)

Brandon Carlo

and he's the leader of that particular category by like... a lot.

So the numbers say Carlo for the Norris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A few seasons ago Carlo was, by far, the best shot suppressing defenseman in the league.

Unfortunately he also had this effect on his teammates.