Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Dave Whamond

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

Dave Granlund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Ah yeah that's the lie, the topic of the event

It's like three different lies.

It's an acceptable quote for introducing yourself to a group of women who own businesses, where you're specifically talking about how much you suppot women and how much you like the ice cream that one of them makes and sells.

Change some of it to 'unintelligible' to reinforce that it's meandering, and move it from a group meet & greet to an official statement to the press corp and declare it to be the official response to a school shooting - those are the three lies.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Can we get a Kellies category for Worst Rehashing of David Low's "Rendezvous"? I don't think it'll work though because all of these comics are the same exact thing each time. How many version of this is it by now?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

For a cartoonist whose whole art style is ‘carnival caricaturist,’ that’s a loving terrible rendition of Biden.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

This feels like a terrible caricature, like he just chose parts at random to emphasize, even though the overall shapes aren't completely unreasonable.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Youremother posted:

Can we get a Kellies category for Worst Rehashing of David Low's "Rendezvous"? I don't think it'll work though because all of these comics are the same exact thing each time. How many version of this is it by now?

I went back through page 76 and found these two which were posted on the same day:

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

I'd continue search, but I think I have blood poisoning from reviewing 15 pages of political cartoons and I can't stop hearing anything but dog whistles

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Lame Crimes and Misdemeanors

Ted Rall posted:

Of all the possible business and political crimes you could think of charging Donald Trump with, it’s hard to think of anything pettier than falsifying business records for the purpose of paying off Stormy Daniels to begin with.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I was going to do my usual scrape on the Creaters.com editorial cartoon page, but almost every cartoonist currently produces a broken image. I can only imagine that part of the servers collapsed in some sort of transphobic singularity.

Andy Marlette

Bob Gorrell

Gary Markstein

Marshall Ramsey

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Electric Phantasm posted:

real cool of him to write in that stupid fake chinese font too

Skios fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 29, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

Kellies Nomination: gently caress you
Kellies Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon- school shooting

gently caress you for making jokes about kids dying in shootings, you loving piece of poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know people frequently comment on how deranged gun culture and the pledge of allegiance is, but how common is the "if I die in my sleep please take me to heaven" prayer? I see a lot of US media referencing it as just a thing kids do and it strikes me as another extremely hosed up thing to treat as normal.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

That prayer was invented by Metallica in 1991, so it's no surprise it's on the top 5 of most popular kids and tweens prayer lists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

axolotl farmer posted:

That prayer was invented by Metallica in 1991, so it's no surprise it's on the top 5 of most popular kids and tweens prayer lists.

The prayer has been around for centuries.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Discendo Vox posted:

The Metallica guys are old but not centuries old.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

The Metallica guys are old but not centuries old.

Not dead which eternal lie
Stranger eons death may die

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know people frequently comment on how deranged gun culture and the pledge of allegiance is, but how common is the "if I die in my sleep please take me to heaven" prayer? I see a lot of US media referencing it as just a thing kids do and it strikes me as another extremely hosed up thing to treat as normal.

I'm not going to claim I have any knowledge of how widespread the actual prayer is since I can't read minds, but nowadays I'd imagine it's much more of a signifier of "old-time religion" where regular, daily prayers were just assumed to be a part of everyone's routine. A little kid in footie pajamas pleading for God to spare his eternal soul in case of aneurysm was just shorthand for "this is a Good Kid (because he's doing what his parents told him to do)".

Like, as an American, I also have only seen it referenced in our media, typically older media, and I had a fairly religious upbringing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Discendo Vox posted:

Correct, 1991-2023 spans two centuries.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm not going to claim I have any knowledge of how widespread the actual prayer is since I can't read minds, but nowadays I'd imagine it's much more of a signifier of "old-time religion" where regular, daily prayers were just assumed to be a part of everyone's routine. A little kid in footie pajamas pleading for God to spare his eternal soul in case of aneurysm was just shorthand for "this is a Good Kid (because he's doing what his parents told him to do)".

Like, as an American, I also have only seen it referenced in our media, typically older media, and I had a fairly religious upbringing.

Also from a time when child mortality was high enough that the prayer was probably pretty meaningful.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I said it when i was a kid and, while when i was very little it was probably just something i said because my parents taught me to say it, as i got a little older i realized it’s kinda hosed up.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the correct version of the prayer

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Conservatives’ illegal migration bill – MPs on the right of the party, led by Bill Cash and Danny Kruger, have proposed a series of amendments to remove more safeguards"

Telegraph:

Starmer's move to block Corbyn running as Labour MP approved

Matt:

Independent:

After Goya.

Times:

Israel protests: Netanyahu delays court overhaul

Evening Standard:

Asylum seekers to be moved to military bases and barges under Government plans; Treats, wine tasting and Taylor Swift: The wildest moments from Gwyneth Paltrow’s skiing trial

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

At least it's not the n'th reiteration of David Low and I like the joke, but I could do without thinking about Corbyn's crotch label. YMMV

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Reminder that this didn't happen, they just announced the reason they were closing was shoplifting and news media everywhere repeated it without verifying even though it quickly turned out they had always planned to shutter those stores and just wanted to blame customers.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 29, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

Reminder that this didn't happen, they just announced the reason they were closing was shoplifting and news media everywhere repeated it without verifying even though it quickly turned out they had always planned to shutter those stores and just wanted to blame customers.

iirc in at least some of those cases it wasn't even the companies claiming it because they were literally shifting footprints or opening new stores at the same time.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Lame Crimes and Misdemeanors

Man, he had to go back to Benedict Arnold? I guess there really is no famous historical figure who was charged with a lesser crime that they knew would stick. Really a pity.

Now, to take a big swig of bootleg whiskey and crack open this biography of Al Capone....

Kellies Nomination: Most Willfully Dense

(Yes, I know there's a myriad of reasons these are the charges we're hearing the most about, but the comparison is way too obvious to ignore.)

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Get hosed, Matt - for turning a humanitarian crisis that was entirely fabricated by a decade+ of Tory policies into a lame joke.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I'm getting so loving suck of Stiglich drawing Biden like the A. Wyatt Mann Happy Merchant.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Discendo Vox posted:

iirc in at least some of those cases it wasn't even the companies claiming it because they were literally shifting footprints or opening new stores at the same time.

Also good way to score points and cover up the tactic of opening a Walgreens on every corner of every city and then shutting most of them down after the competition dies.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1641077247695003659?t=n5Uv9Iw0F_kyfNw7g82y3g&s=19

New one from Lubchansky.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Lol I assumed it wasn't real, just a somewhat exaggerated impression, but it pretty much was

Oh well the government pretty much runs itself, even if we had a lucid coherent figurehead in the Oval Office trains of toxic waste would be crashing just as much, so I wouldn't worry too much about president goodbrains.

It makes sense enough in context when you remember American presidents have to be appear to be empathetic and charming. The introduction makes sense given the crowd, then he singles one of the women to then compliment her product with a kind exaggeration or even a truth. It's corny but it'd play well-enough I guess.

I've never liked the idea of a president I can drink a beer with and this is pretty much the same logic. It's a different version of Obama playing basketball or singing Al Green or Clinton and his saxophone. They were just naturally cooler than Biden, so that helped I guess.

China Daily

US democracy by Ma Xuejing

Le Monde

by Dilem from Algeria
New school shooting in the United States

Charlie Hebdo

Police Violence
No to small bed-pans!
In reference to the police violence that went on the in Deux-Sevres department where people are protesting a "mega-basin" aka a reservoir that is likely to monopolize the water for a few mega-farms. The pun doesn't really work in English.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Do you know if “fusilade dans une école” is a set turn of phrase or do they literally mean “shooting in a school”? Just curious if that’s settled on.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you know if “fusilade dans une école” is a set turn of phrase or do they literally mean “shooting in a school”? Just curious if that’s settled on.

Fusillade is definitely a shooting. It's used for any sort of mass shooting. I don't think it's quite an idiomatic expression like 'school shooting' but more what you suggested just "in a school", since you can see fusillades occurring in other places.

If 'school shooting', is using school as an adjective that describes the shooting, a better equivalent in French would be the literal 'fusillade école' but that's not how how French does, so maybe 'fusillade scolaire' but I don't think I've ever seen that said.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fusillade is definitely a shooting. It's used for any sort of mass shooting. I don't think it's quite an idiomatic expression like 'school shooting' but more what you suggested just "in a school", since you can see fusillades occurring in other places.

If 'school shooting', is using school as an adjective that describes the shooting, a better equivalent in French would be the literal 'fusillade école' but that's not how how French does, so maybe 'fusillade scolaire' but I don't think I've ever seen that said.

Cool, thanks. That was my suspicion.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Lethbridge:

Wilcox:

Attorney general Mark Dreyfus. Whistleblowers must not be sacrificed on the altar of law (SMH editorial).

Knight:

Guy Pearce posts extraordinary letter apologising for his now-deleted tweet about transgender roles - as hundreds of his fans insist the Priscilla, Queen of the Desert star shouldn't say sorry (Daily Mail).

Broelman:

Former US President Barack Obama could net $1 million for Australian speaking gigs (9News).

Spooner:

With Obama are Anthony Albanese, Tanya Plibersek (environment minister) and Chris Bowen (energy & climate change minister).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Knight is such a weird cartoonist. They strike me as a cemented US liberal, performatively compassionate but not willing to actually challenge the status quo or examine their own biases, so you get the occasional comic about obvious bad things being bad but then you get poo poo like this of "political correctness gone mad" and "if it's acting no criticisms can apply". Which whether or not it applies here, is an ultimatum I have to think that if pressed Knight doesn't actually believe, because there's no way they'd pull the same defense of like, a white actor in blackface.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Knight isn’t really that liberal, he’s much more middle-of-the-road/somewhat conservative but because he’s clearly to the left of blood garglers like Leak and other Murdoch cartoonists it’s easy to think of him as decent.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

skeleton warrior posted:

Knight isn’t really that liberal, he’s much more middle-of-the-road/somewhat conservative but because he’s clearly to the left of blood garglers like Leak and other Murdoch cartoonists it’s easy to think of him as decent.
that's what they said:

quote:

US liberal
america has the gently caress you right and the we're sorry right. no left parties.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Mark Knight is the cartoonist for the football-centric Herald Sun. He does the premiership football posters and a lot of his cartoons are about sport which I usually don't post (they're mostly thing that happened in football and fine for what they are). He's got that sort of blokey sports style humour that was the style pre-millenium in Australia which means while he's not as far gone as Spooner it also means while he probably wouldn't do it if I had to pick "cartoonist most likely to put a defence of blackface" then Knight would be right up there.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hah, the main reason I noticed is that it's the opening to Halsey's Nightmare, which made me realize I'd heard it somewhere before but never really thought about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Randall Enos - Thoughts and Prayers