Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I do think there's an option that isn't 'announce whole card on Elon's hellsite' or 'try to asphyxiate Excalibur by making him run down 3 full cards in 20 seconds'

I am thankful AEW does just that and mixes it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

zimbomonkey posted:

I don't watch a whole lot of dark but is there a lot of blood on it? I feel like on the whole the TV shows are bloodier than the YouTube ones.

Only by accident. Last example I can think of is Emi Sakura getting a bloody nose from Billie Starkz.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I vaguely recall someone getting busted open in an after match beatdown angle or whatever a year or so ago, but 98% of the time Dark doesn't have blood on the show.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not even the mudshow maniacs of AEW are going to gig while squashing a local wrestler in 4 minutes flat.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
They also used to film multiple episodes of Dark and Elevation at a time didn't they? Wouldn't be good to blade if you have three more matches later that day to be taped

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

quote:

Omega wrestling in the WWE really is a missed opportunity. He's got all the physical ability fir great matches but lacks the refinement and emphasis on psychology that the WWE brings. He could have been a great wrestler in the WWE. His unlimited spamming of certain moves and random no selling is to his detriment.

Reddit moment

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

There's never been a great, nor even good Kenny Omega match. That's what everybody says - he's physically pretty great but just can't seem to put a match together.

Now then, if he was in a Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Reddit moment

lol the entire WWE main event style is spamming the same move over and over.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

lol the entire WWE main event style is spamming the same move over and over.

I would be curious to see the number or percentage of moves in a Lesnar vs Reigns match that aren't F5, German Suplex, Spear, or Superman Punch.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hoss Corncave posted:

I would be curious to see the number or percentage of moves in a Lesnar vs Reigns match that aren't F5, German Suplex, Spear, or Superman Punch.

Edge & Christian you're being paged to the thread!

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I love it when these dummies always pick the absolute wrongest thing to criticise someone for. Kenny is an insanely good seller. It's like the last possible thing someone should be taking issue with. This reminds me of the time someone on reddit said Orange Cassidy wasn't a good seller. Uh, what?

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
These people always seem to have an internal battle within themselves between "I enjoyed seeing this wrestler do cool poo poo in a wrestling ring, but podcaster said he is bad because bad psychology (and no, I can't define what that means), so I cannot endorse him/her"

I always hear how WWE has great psychology and storytelling, so I watched Reigns/Zayn. I didn't realise that when WWE fans talk about storytelling they literally mean the wrestlers loving stop the match and talk to each other. And the rest is barely stitched together start-stop spots without much logic to it. It weren't poo poo or anything but come on

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Hulk Hogan's gimmick was no-selling and constantly cheating despite being a babyface.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hoss Corncave posted:

Brock did a cool knee once and he likes doing shoulder thrusts in the corner. Besides that, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

this kid is nuts posted:

These people always seem to have an internal battle within themselves between "I enjoyed seeing this wrestler do cool poo poo in a wrestling ring, but podcaster said he is bad because bad psychology (and no, I can't define what that means), so I cannot endorse him/her"

This is the cold war between wrestling fans. Everyone wants to say the other persons favourite wrestler has no psychology and doesn't know how to sell or tell a story but no one ever asks each other for a definition of those things because nobody knows what the gently caress they are

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bad psychology is any wrestling I don’t like, it’s actually very easy to identify

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bad psychology is when they don’t work the leg, brother

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Adding the secret ingredient of Psychology to The Miz vs Johnny Gargano on a random episode of Raw by having The Miz say stuff to Johnny while he works his leg in the middle of their 6 minute match including commercial breaks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gargano staring horrified at his own hands while Miz gingerly applies a figure four

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

did anyone ever managed to identify what The Boot was in terms of wrestling psychology storytelling

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

boxcarhobo posted:

did anyone ever managed to identify what The Boot was in terms of wrestling psychology storytelling

The Loaded Boot aka one of the dumbest and least sensical things from back when Wrestling Was Real.

You tap the toe of your boot on the mat and it becomes more powerful. You're Loading it. People just went along with this for a very long time.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 29, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The idea is that they have a weight in the boot and they're tapping to move it into the toe of the boot. It's really dumb.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lotta El Phantasmo disrespect itt rn

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

I don't watch a whole lot of dark but is there a lot of blood on it? I feel like on the whole the TV shows are bloodier than the YouTube ones.

People get busted open hardway every now and then. 10 wore that Joker-looking mask for a year or more after he got a busted nose during a Dark match, shaking somebody around in a full nelson with blood pouring through his mask looked badass so they leaned into it. I think there might've been blading during a Janela match once or twice?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

History Comes Inside! posted:

Bad psychology is any wrestling I don’t like, it’s actually very easy to identify

Yeah, it's basically this, but less self aware. "Psychology" is literally just verisimilitude/if the person watching thinks the flow of the match was internally consistent based on their biases.

People watching wrestling that's different from what they're familiar with then complain this other format isn't flowing right. Like if your favored product was 20 minutes of wrestling in a 2 hour program complete with video packages explaining that special moves are finishers that end the match and weeks of replays enforcing that. It's my most charitable version of why someone could say Kenny doesn't sell, because they've seen special moves used and not end the match. To them the selling/'psychology' isn't that he looked hurt and rolled out of the ring, or the stall from a manager that got him a chance to recover, it's the super move should have ended the match.
The same way a superkick knocking someone out so only being something you'd see once per match would violate the expectations of someone who watches shows other than mid 90's WWE.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Like I’ve seen matches where they do spend so long setting up spots that any sense of it being a fight kinda goes out the window, and in smaller shows especially you get people who want to show off what they can do and that can come at the expense of the overall match, so there’s this tiny grain of truth to the “flippy poo poo, no psychology” idea. But like, just doing flippy stuff does not mean you’ve got bad psychology and the Young Bucks have absolutely put on matches with cool stories. Nowadays I treat a lot of this like when someone criticizing a movie says “all style no substance”- that’s not a useful statement in itself, what about it lacked substance? What about this match didn’t work in terms of storytelling?

And it usually comes down to them not being down for long enough after taking a move and that’s when it gets too boring to argue.

(And also I will point out TLC 2 from WM X7 is the definition of a spot fest and it loving rules so there’s that.)

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Occasional instances of folks getting busted open on accident, since it's wrestling, but little to no actual blading.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

They also used to film multiple episodes of Dark and Elevation at a time didn't they? Wouldn't be good to blade if you have three more matches later that day to be taped

They still do. It was really bad at the August taping, every other match was the Trustbusters and it burned the crowd out so hard that people started leaving when their music hit.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Reddit moment

They have ruined the word psychology for me. They have used it and misused it so much it has lost all meaning

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

MancXVI posted:

They still do. It was really bad at the August taping, every other match was the Trustbusters and it burned the crowd out so hard that people started leaving when their music hit.

At the dark/roh tapings I was at people were lamenting the obvious impending trustbusters match before every single one

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1641262499965333504

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Folks, w-<immediately buried under 6 chairs 2 tables and a ladder/>

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

When he's right, he's right.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the replies are like 70% people dunking on him lmao

https://twitter.com/MethTnRollins/status/1641277737791897600?t=OslDpzQMOXBkb_EuqmqZUg&s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alfred Badname with a rare good tweet.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Crapple! posted:

This is the cold war between wrestling fans. Everyone wants to say the other persons favourite wrestler has no psychology and doesn't know how to sell or tell a story but no one ever asks each other for a definition of those things because nobody knows what the gently caress they are

WORKRATE!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/WrestleChaps/status/1641497027891585048

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

that's a mirror / turn your monitor on / etc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We might be hours away from another drunken meltdown on the Ringside News twitter.

https://twitter.com/DerekSabato/status/1641500574863482894

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think that dude is in rehab and they took his phone away