Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Luckily we already have a spot in a home-based daycare that is half that cost. (Which is still a loving lot!)

At some point I'll try and do some research into early childhood development and read about all the ways we're handicapping our kid for life by not spending college tuition on bespoke daycare, but I figure at this stage the service is mostly keeping them alive while we're at work and the activities and socialization and such are more of a sweetener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son brought home norovirus or something this week so we are having to cancel his birthday party which was supposed to be this weekend. bad timing!!!!! also having to suffer from vomiting and diarrhea while taking care of a toddler with the same... not recommend.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking real hard about getting crayons for my toddler. His first etch-e-sketch has got a few dead spots from wear and tear. I don't want mess.... But I kinda do.

Dreylad posted:

yeah it was pretty wild to realize that we would save money if i just didn't work and looked after the kid full-time instead of working and sending my entire paycheque to the daycare

Oh I've done that math. Showed it to everybody. Doesn't matter, never did. Life is a gently caress

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm thinking real hard about getting crayons for my toddler. His first etch-e-sketch has got a few dead spots from wear and tear. I don't want mess.... But I kinda do.

Get the kid crayons IMO. The big jumbo washable non-toxic markers are good too, no permanent mess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It was pretty easy to teach my daughter that drawing is only done on paper but results may vary there

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh I've done that math. Showed it to everybody. Doesn't matter, never did. Life is a gently caress

you just have to watch him like a hawk to ensure that he only colors on paper, and also hide the crayons so he only has them under supervision. it kicks rear end watching them color.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah definitely hide the crayons when not in use because even my paper-coloring-only kid will still scatter crayons all over the entire house if given unfettered access to them

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sun is coming out more frequently. I think our first attempt at semi-permanent art is gonna be sidewalk chalk. Then in like 2 or 3 weeks Ill bring out crayons on some rainy day.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Could I get some opinions on screen time? We generally try to make sure if we're watching TV or a movie that we're watching it as a family, but I do let the kids watch cartoons on my phone while I'm working out in the morning. I figure that it's okay because they don't have a problem when I tell them that time is up. The library has these tablets that you can borrow that have stories and games on them that our five year old really loves.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

imo the really bad stuff for screen time is, like, modern apps and lootbox games that basically act liek skinner boxes to try to get as much engagement time as possible out of a user. it's not good for adult brains and it's probably way worse for developing ones. i think watching tv and stuff like that is orders of magnitude less problematic for kids as long as you don't let them watch tv literally all day. like my son almost 3, he watches a fair amount of little kid tv but he also has an incredibly active imagination and can entertain himself for hours playing with his toys, so i think that's probably fine. less so if he would be screaming to play with toddler apps on a tablet or something.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

We've struggled a lot with what kind and how much screen time to allow for both our kids and still do. There's value to minimizing screen time as much as possible, but for the limited time allowed there are some very good options and some very poor ones. Probably the most important thing is to do the screen activity with your kid, but this is in tension with using screens as a temporary distraction when you're busy.

One specific thing is we subscribed to Epic during the pandemic, which is an online library that has lots of read aloud stories where the pages turn along with the recording. I was fairly skeptical of the idea of having young kids read or listen to books on screens, but my kids really liked it and I think it helped my younger kid to develop their interest in reading. It also has a lot of the good Robert Munsch books! Not trying to suggest yet another subscription service, but I think that kind of screen time can be positive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids mainline screens at every opportunity and there's nothing I can do to stop it except take them camping all the time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Another Bill posted:

We had the same realization but ended up working it out with my office so that I could work from home. We would bring in a nanny 3 days a week from 9am-3pm to help out Tues-Thurs. It sounds like a lovely job but you'd be surprised how many people are semi-retired or part-time students looking to pick up some hours.

It was great, especially because I was basically around my kids their whole upbringings.

e: It was 10 years ago, we were paying $15/hr then so ~270 a week.

well subsidized daycare is supposed to be rolling out soon but we have doug ford as our premier so "lol. lmao" as they say

I'm glad you were able to figure something out! My wife can WFH so we both get a lot more time with our daughter than we would otherwise, which is awesome and i acknowledge a huge privilege

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Greg Legg posted:

Could I get some opinions on screen time? We generally try to make sure if we're watching TV or a movie that we're watching it as a family, but I do let the kids watch cartoons on my phone while I'm working out in the morning. I figure that it's okay because they don't have a problem when I tell them that time is up. The library has these tablets that you can borrow that have stories and games on them that our five year old really loves.

The most recent research that's come out says - once you get past the sensationalized headlines - is that screen time isn't great, but it's not completely detrimental to kids. it depends on the kind of screen time (as lobster shirt mentions) and what you're using it for. If you're using it to buy you time to cook or take a poo poo or work out in your case you do what you have to do. I think where there's some concern is that kids are getting screen time in lieu of physical activity or playing with physical toys.

more than a few people in this thread and other people I've talked to have said how much Songs For Littles has actually helped their kids with language, so it's clearly not all bad.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Mar 30, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
what I find funny about the claim that kids don't get exercise while gaming is that my kids are jumping up and down the entire time they play any game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm posting from the toilet so I assume my kid is equally hosed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We tried religiously to keep our daughter from seeing screens, or from seeing us on phones all the time, for the first year/year-and-a-half of her life, but loosened up on that because it was basically impossible. We still try to keep it under two hours of screentime per diem but daddy works (until yesterday anyway) and mommy's pregnant so sometimes we slip on that :shrug:

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm posting from the toilet so I assume my kid is equally hosed.

yeah we've gone from "daughter must never see a smartphone" to "daughter asks for specific Fire Emblem Heroes characters by name if she sees me playing it"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

loquacius posted:

We tried religiously to keep our daughter from seeing screens, or from seeing us on phones all the time, for the first year/year-and-a-half of her life, but loosened up on that because it was basically impossible. We still try to keep it under two hours of screentime per diem but daddy works (until yesterday anyway) and mommy's pregnant so sometimes we slip on that :shrug:

that's basically how it went for us! and I think pretty much everyone I know swore no screens before 2 and it always fell apart by a year or a year-and-a-half

it has made me much more conscious about my phone usage so it's been good in that way.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same as when I was raised on cable tv. Just gotta curate a good program for your kid. Sometimes screens are magic tricks that mom and dad can use to make music appear. Sometimes the kid gets strapped to the high chair and Mrs Rachel teaches my kid how to talk through dad's kitchen computer.

I don't like him watching like regular-degular adult rated R movies. We watched like a good chunk of Johto season pokemon. I think that's why he calls cats "meow" and he calls ducks "quack"... Because animals just say their own name, as far as he's seen that's how it works.

I have never left my toddler with my phone tho in his reach, that shits madness. We have cribs and pens and pediatals to keep screens good distance away from developing eyeballs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter has watched full playthroughs of Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 3D Land, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Mario 64, and a decent amount of Yoshi's Woolly World. Wanna get started early on that gamer indoctrination.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I think I'm focusing mostly on making sure the screentime does not lead to antisocial behavior like freaking out about not getting it, getting too lost in it so they don't reply, not being able to pause or stop to do something else (given an x minute warning), and I try to create activities that are more interesting than games (or at least that can compete) for when I think they've had enough (but lord have mercy the winters make that hard).

For months we were playing Mario Galaxy every night for half an hour and that was the most fun I've had playing games in my life I think.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Absolutely, it's great to experience them vicariously.

My daughter wouldn't play Galaxy, though, I think the cutscene at the beginning where Bowser's space fleet attacks Toad Town scared her and she never recovered

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I watch what shows my kid watches and we talk about what happens and I try to frame it in a cspam type of way. it’s great when 90% of kids shows are just monarchist bullshit.

like there is this new on one Netflix that is just basically princesses wearing pants. they even sing about it.

she sometimes gets annoyed about me complaining about the monarchy.

it’s a lot better when Pokémon is on since I watch it and think of a better world for children.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my 10 year old wakes up early and watches Pokemon unwrapping videos and fishing videos on youtube for an hour while everyone else is sleeping, the rest of the day is either in homeschool with his mom and sister (not weird religious homeschool, like actual school) or outside playing basketball, jumping on the trampoline, going to the creek across the street, etc. in the afternoon we'll watch a movie as a family or he can play a computer game for 30 minutes or so, then we read and then bedtime.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat i wish i liked more games a toddler would like to watch but victoria 3 has got to be like watching paint dry for someone that young lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

loquacius posted:

Absolutely, it's great to experience them vicariously.

My daughter wouldn't play Galaxy, though, I think the cutscene at the beginning where Bowser's space fleet attacks Toad Town scared her and she never recovered

my kid treats breath of the wild as a horse and cooking simulator. I got beefed up armor and majora’s mask so she can just run around hyrule no problem. when I talked about the crafting in the new Zelda she wouldn’t stop talking about the possibilities for like a hour.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We do extremely limited tablet time, like 30 minute max per day and that's usually only on weekends when we have the time to fill.

Highly recommend the Teach Your Monster to Read game for toddlers though. Our four year old played it religiously at two and now she's tucking into Calvin and Hobbes.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I police YouTube a LOT. There is too much dumb/bad poo poo on there. I think I'm gonna block it except on certain devices and download whatever he asks for. Tell me if I'm overreacting

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

AxGrap posted:

I police YouTube a LOT. There is too much dumb/bad poo poo on there. I think I'm gonna block it except on certain devices and download whatever he asks for. Tell me if I'm overreacting

you are not

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

yeah I don't let them see any youtube that isn't directly controlled by me

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AxGrap posted:

no you are not. im probably extremely lenient about what garbage movies/tv shows i'll allow on our streaming accounts, but youtube is basically off limits here outside of specific things (like wanting to learn how to make an origami thing or whatever)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah youtbe i think is the deleterious kind of screentime because it gets so personal and tailored and unlimited. theres only so much kids programming on like hulu or hbo (sesame street ftw), but youtube is an endless maw. once my kid is old enough to know how to use a computer/tablet and access youtube i am going to block it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

sonatinas posted:

you are not

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tbf if my kid ever watched so much Sesame Street that they had to stop because HBO had run out of Sesame Street to show them I would be quite impressed

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Man, I just don't see how y'all have the time for that much screentime on weekdays. The morning routine is tight enough that getting to preschool by 8 is a stretch and we have like a two hour evening window to cram dinner, bath, and reading in before bed.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

If the kid really wants to watch youtube I recommend the Unhook chrome extension and setting it to full power so that it blocks everything on the site except videos from subscribed channels. Critically it blocks video recommendations.

I also really recommend only allowing kids to watch youtube in your direct presence. Blocking it entirely also makes sense.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Man, I just don't see how y'all have the time for that much screentime on weekdays. The morning routine is tight enough that getting to preschool by 8 is a stretch and we have like a two hour evening window to cram dinner, bath, and reading in before bed.

:same:

But our kids do get 20ish minutes at night after dinner as we're cleaning up before bath time to watch something. They're little so PBS kids shows or similar are their favorite. My daughter is obsessed with Number blocks, these little five minute short math episodes that visualize numbers and early math concepts in neat ways.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

number blocks is good

YouTube is evil.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm probably gonna let my kid have a YouTube account at the same age I was given a pocket knife: too young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

AxGrap posted:

we banned YouTube