Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Manoueverable posted:

Personally, I hope that they make it so cooking certain things won't trivialize the game like durians or radishes did in BotW. It was nearly a great mechanic but tossing even one of those into a dish made you practically invincible.

Disagree, just don't cook with em if you don't want the effect. They need to leave in easy ways to become OP for weak little gamer babbies like me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean, yeah, but I mean more in terms of making it so you have to have a threshold of like 4 or 5, or incorporate them into a specific, complex recipe to get that sick buff. I don't mind that it exists, my problem was more about how easy it was to get it and how relatively useless some of the cooler foods you could make were.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 29, 2023

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Disagree, just don't cook with em if you don't want the effect. They need to leave in easy ways to become OP for weak little gamer babbies like me :v:
:hai:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleary what they need to do is add more broken food buffs and just let them balance themselves out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SyRauk posted:

Hoping we get way more musical puzzles and references in this one.

Kass: Ah, Master Link! Just the hero I was hoping to encounter. Allow me to share with you a marvelous discovery I've made. As I wandered the far reaches of Hyrule, I stumbled upon a curious set of musical notes hidden within an ancient tome. When played together, they appear to evoke the spirit of past legends and bring forth memories of those who have come before us. Use your instrument to follow along and learn this Ancient Melody.

Monkey's paw curls: you now have to collect 10,000 of those musical note things from skyward sword (tadtones?) around hyrule

GOTY honestly

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

how does a pro controller sell out? :argh:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the special pro controllers are in shorter stock than the special Switches. The Splatoon 3 and Pokemon ones have come back in stock a few times since their releases but the S3 controller never has.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Hands up all of my fellow friends who will be playing this on a Switch Lite!

Please, no more apparatus puzzles.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tokelau All Star posted:

Hands up all of my fellow friends who will be playing this on a Switch Lite!

Please, no more apparatus puzzles.

I hated these with any control scheme.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I would really like there to be underwater swimming and maybe a little vegetable growing mechanic so we can have lots of things to make into various soups.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vikar Jerome posted:

when link is falling in sky in the demo, the ascend icon is greyed out but soon as he hits and goes under the water, the icon is green again but when he surfaces it goes gray... could it be... COULD IT BE

proper underwater exploration and you use the ascend to get back to the surface quickly?

This pretty much confirms underwater swimming yeah

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

when link is falling in sky in the demo, the ascend icon is greyed out but soon as he hits and goes under the water, the icon is green again but when he surfaces it goes gray... could it be... COULD IT BE

proper underwater exploration and you use the ascend to get back to the surface quickly?

I hope you get the Minecraft Trident that lets you launch high into the sky from any puddle or body of water

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Augus posted:

focusing on the number of things per square mile kinda misses the point, part of what I and a lot of people found refreshing about botw is that it wasn't a game like this:

botw has lots of space to let the world breathe and let you spot landmarks off in the distance, it lets exploration happen naturally instead of jiggling a dozen different keys in front of your face constantly.

Less than halfway through it, but I think this is a real important point. That's what makes it feel like the original back before every kid had every bombable wall location memorized simply by word of mouth.

On the other hand, in Witcher 3 I didn't really mind the question marks.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

thechosenone posted:

That I will agree with. Less is often more, and what I'd suggest with regards to the korok seeds would have been to have less of them, rather than more. Expansive terrain is also usable In more focused games as well, with Hyrule field often being a major example in a lot of Zelda games. In this respect I think it'd be nice to have a nice ambient landscape/architecture design that is allowed to focus on visuals and gameplay by carefully balancing what is and isn't accessible, since too much restriction in play area can prevent certain puzzles from making sense, and too little can also make it difficult to design a dungeon.

The basic intention with the Koroks in BotW is that the average player won't understand half of the Korok puzzles are Korok puzzles and that they'll overlook half of the ones they would recognize as puzzles, and that they won't necessarily even see all of the map to get a shot at that 50% of 50%. If you have less than 900 Korok seeds with that kind of map, then most players aren't going to get to expand their inventories. The Korok seeds were fine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What if you can make sandwiches but only with ultrahand. Put down the ingredients then stack and fuse them. Link just eats the green goo like it's mayo on his steak, stew, fruit platter and egg sandwich.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Einander posted:

The Korok seeds were fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

I always saw this criticism as favoring the destination over the journey because it's almost always couched in terms of "you climb the mountain or solve the puzzle but you *only* get a seed/shrine out of it." Like, enjoy the ride, admire the view and then glide off to wherever your whims decide to carry you next. It shouldn't be a game you treat like a checklist.

I feel like the only two options here aren't just "admire the view" and "collect nonsense like an Ubisoft game."

BotW already has the stuff I like, but I'd just like to see more of it. More NPCs with substantive content associated with them, more villages with more stuff to do in them. In BotW you can very quickly do most of what a village has to offer in terms of side quests. I couldn't care less about loot/rewards, but I just like interacting with the various bizarre and interesting Zelda NPCs.

Basically just making BotW denser with what it already has. This isn't really a criticism of BotW (since it does so much other stuff that it would be a pretty unreasonable ask), but it's something I'd like to see in the sequel since they don't have to spend as much time doing the basics of creating the world, many of its assets, etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

how does a pro controller sell out? :argh:

You can get it at Target like as of ten minutes ago.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
I hope we get dungeons and also a cool story.
I am excited to play video game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I think the best way to do it would be to unlock upgrades or abilities that help you do things easier or quicker but aren't 100% required.
Revalis gale was a great example (even though the other champion abilities were lacking)

Disagree. Mipha's Grace was a godsend for some of the Divine Beast boss fights for a baby gamer, and even just for trundling around if you made a silly mistake. Or just wanted to jump from exceptional heights with less stamina than required to glide and could let her heal eat the damage. Urbosa's Rage and Daruk's Protection were generally handy for more annoying mob fights too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There's the dragon head flame thrower you get to stick onto a shield

https://twitter.com/ZeldaUniverse/status/1641081982724472835?s=20

You know, i made an ARMS reference about TotK just yesterday...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

tsob posted:

Disagree. Mipha's Grace was a godsend for some of the Divine Beast boss fights for a baby gamer, and even just for trundling around if you made a silly mistake. Or just wanted to jump from exceptional heights with less stamina than required to glide and could let her heal eat the damage. Urbosa's Rage and Daruk's Protection were generally handy for more annoying mob fights too.

I'm not saying they aren't useful and make combat less of a struggle, I'm saying Revali's Gale sped up progress a lot, is miles away the best champion ability and is a better representation of what I think "dungeon items" should be like

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should add a Korok toggle for brain geniuses who need harder puzzles. Solving simple calculus apple equations, write a persuasive grant proposal to the great deku tree, charming cryptography cipher problems generated for each save file so no cheating online.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm not saying they aren't useful and make combat less of a struggle, I'm saying Revali's Gale sped up progress a lot, is miles away the best champion ability and is a better representation of what I think "dungeon items" should be like

each of the seven dungeons will have one condescending birdman ghost in them

actually speaking of movement abilities, given that they've gone on record saying that funny flying machine glitches were one of the things that inspired them, it'd be funny if the game was like "here's a movement ability thats literally just windbomb"

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Blaziken386 posted:

actually speaking of movement abilities, given that they've gone on record saying that funny flying machine glitches were one of the things that inspired them, it'd be funny if the game was like "here's a movement ability thats literally just windbomb"

As long as it isn't a pain in the rear end to do like they are in BOTW I'm all for it. I find BLSS way easier and just run/glide/Revali over to something if I miss the windbomb

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Blaziken386 posted:

I mean, you can conceivably fuse a bomb (or bomb like thing. Did they show anything relating to bombs at all?) to a shield…

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The new gameplay trailer has restored my faith in this game 110%. I had a poo poo-eating grin the entire time because fusing and crafting stuff is. paradoxically. the most obvious, and surprising, move they could have made. I was afraid it would BotW "refined" but this is doubling-down on what made the Great Plateau the best introductory area in any game, ever (and possibly the best part of BotW). On the Plateau, you had to use creativity to survive, whether it was rolling boulders on enemy camps, gathering up spicy food to climb the mountain, hacking a tree to create a bridge, etc. All of that teased at what you could do in the game...but then the Paraglider and higher enemy HP negated it all. Who cares if you creatively trap a Silver Moblin when it only does 50 damage to it?

TotK will hopefully keep the creative aspect of the game a central piece of the puzzle from start to finish. Granted, players will optimize the fun out of it quickly, but as long as I can take a random weapon, put a monster part on it, and imbue it with Electric Chu Jelly...that's a system that will pay dividends for a very long time.

From a story perspective, I'm very curious why Zonai tech has replaced Sheikah almost universally. I mean, I'm sure there's some narrative handwave that accomplishes this but damned if I know what it is. It has to happen from the very beginning. Maybe some time travel shenanigans?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

If all else fails use fire.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Asterite34 posted:

...I'm impressed with everyone's restraint that I haven't heard an "Ultrahandjob" joke yet

Trust me I seriously considered this when choosing a thread title

Vikar Jerome posted:

Now this is the kind of analysis this thread should be about

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FooF posted:

The new gameplay trailer has restored my faith in this game 110%. I had a poo poo-eating grin the entire time because fusing and crafting stuff is. paradoxically. the most obvious, and surprising, move they could have made. I was afraid it would BotW "refined" but this is doubling-down on what made the Great Plateau the best introductory area in any game, ever (and possibly the best part of BotW). On the Plateau, you had to use creativity to survive, whether it was rolling boulders on enemy camps, gathering up spicy food to climb the mountain, hacking a tree to create a bridge, etc. All of that teased at what you could do in the game...but then the Paraglider and higher enemy HP negated it all. Who cares if you creatively trap a Silver Moblin when it only does 50 damage to it?

TotK will hopefully keep the creative aspect of the game a central piece of the puzzle from start to finish. Granted, players will optimize the fun out of it quickly, but as long as I can take a random weapon, put a monster part on it, and imbue it with Electric Chu Jelly...that's a system that will pay dividends for a very long time.

From a story perspective, I'm very curious why Zonai tech has replaced Sheikah almost universally. I mean, I'm sure there's some narrative handwave that accomplishes this but damned if I know what it is. It has to happen from the very beginning. Maybe some time travel shenanigans?

Jerryrigged equipment and crafting also justifies the existence ofa degradation mechanic better than the previous game did.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SirBukkake posted:

I mean, you can conceivably fuse a bomb (or bomb like thing. Did they show anything relating to bombs at all?) to a shield…

in one of the trailers, Link has a stick with a cannon fused to it and launches a bomb at an enemy

wonder if there will be a couple of ways to explode things

this thing:

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 30, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

My main fear is that I end up just making the same things over and over to solve problems. Scribblenauts had that problem where you’d end up just summoning the same objects all the time. I’m assuming the very long development time was so they could test out the ridiculous number of combinations.

Can’t we just fast forward the next six weeks cuz I’m tired of waiting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FooF posted:

What if this is some alternate universe Link has slipped into, where the Sheikah never existed or died out or something, and instead the Zonai built their own towers and structures around Hyrule, and also excavated a bunch of the underground, and somehow made lots of floating islands too

There's not a single Sheikah tower or shrine from BOTW visible anywhere, they've all totally vanished.

More to hint at this: in one of the newest Gamexplain analysis videos they point out the region borders (like for the 15 main regions) on the minimap don't match the same regions from BOTW.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's the word on amiibo support? Sames as BOTW? Aside from the unique glider from the new Link amiibo of course.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

What's the word on amiibo support? Sames as BOTW? Aside from the unique glider from the new Link amiibo of course.

There are definitely multiple gliders you can get from Amiibos but that’s all that’s been revealed. I imagine it’ll be similar overall but who knows!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If there’s one absolutely critical thing that has to return to the game it’s this:

https://i.imgur.com/7l6LhM6.gifv

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I'm a bit surprised they didn't announce DLC or a season pass.

Could it be that they don't intend to offer DLC finally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm a bit surprised they didn't announce DLC or a season pass.

Could it be that they don't intend to offer DLC finally?

Nah man Nintendo gonna milk you dry