Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Suzera posted:

But sometimes you get a slave love harem or somesuch by surprise if you don't check for that first instead.

when that happens while i'm rolling around in trash i just stop watching it and move on with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe you should just try going to another restaurant rather than going through the dumpster of the one you ate the whole menu of.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Patware posted:

when that happens while i'm rolling around in trash i just stop watching it and move on with my life
Yeah. I'm just saying, pursuant to the original comment about this coming up a lot, that it's common enough that web searching "<isekai title> slavery" can potentially save you a good chunk of time and effort weeding things out vs watching an hour of something to find out.

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe you should just try going to another restaurant rather than going through the dumpster of the one you ate the whole menu of.
It's more like I've eaten all the potentially best in class/stood the test of time things I'm interested in that I know of. Discerning an unfun thing from a merely fun thing in contemporary-only stuff is more difficult without just doing the thing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:stare:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ADTRW go a season without discussing isekai slavery challenge (impossible).

Ultimately it's a cheap plot device to give the protagonist access to one or several hot babes who have to be around him, but can't just be conventionally attracted to him. The women HAVE to hang around the guy so they realise how special he really is. It's a cheap plot device and doesnt really deserve the level of seasonal discussion we give it because some people can't help but watch bad isekai and then talk about how it would be great isekai if not for the slavery as though they lack the basic human sense of pattern recognition

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just watch literally any other genre

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Suzera posted:

Yeah. I'm just saying, pursuant to the original comment about this coming up a lot, that it's common enough that web searching "<isekai title> slavery" can potentially save you a good chunk of time and effort weeding things out vs watching an hour of something to find out.

im glad that avoiding isekais because i hate the brand of generic fantasy clothing/armor designs all of them use makes it so that i dont have to do that

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Megamissen posted:

im glad that avoiding isekais because i hate the brand of generic fantasy clothing/armor designs all of them use makes it so that i dont have to do that
Valid

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i would simply get into HBO or Bergmann films or something instead of subjecting myself to deep dives into stuff i know might be bad

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Feldegast42 posted:

Chrono Trigger is a GOAT but if you don't like it its no big deal

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
pripara is isekai. everyone let's watch pripara

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I can count the number of games I've played through more than 5 times on one hand:
Chrono Trigger
Dark Souls
Megaman X4 (because I didn't have a memory card with my first PS1, so I just learned to pseudo-speed run it)
Spec Ops: The Line
Sonic & Knuckles

Chrono Trigger is the only that's cracked double digits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if i want to watch 'bad' anime there's way more fun and interesting bad anime to watch than seasonal isekai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZzNSGCRMGQ

watch cluster edge or something

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

its just such a waste
the one good isekai this season (precure hirogaru sky) has sora wearing a skyland outfit in episode 1 that i really love though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Patware posted:

It's okay to say you're disappointed that the laid back series about a guy with the power of amazon.com and his friends the giant wolf and baby slime go on adventures and cook food suddenly introduces slavery out of nowhere in volume 12 or whatever, because it's disappointing that the series you thought was better than that, wasn't

AlternateNu posted:

I can count the number of games I've played through more than 5 times on one hand:
Chrono Trigger
Dark Souls
Megaman X4 (because I didn't have a memory card with my first PS1, so I just learned to pseudo-speed run it)
Spec Ops: The Line
Sonic & Knuckles

Chrono Trigger is the only that's cracked double digits.
Offf the top of my head auger metroid and Megamall x1 are my two most played-through easily

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*transcending space and time* the series about ordering items from amazon.com already implicitly supported slavery

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With the state of working conditions at most animation studios, almost all anime endorses slavery

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

*transcending space and time* the series about ordering items from amazon.com already implicitly supported slavery

please do not troll mizuho from sonny boy like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

With the state of working conditions at most animation studios, almost all anime endorses slavery

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The only thing I remember about Chrono Trigger was beating that metal chump Gato

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

It's okay to say you're disappointed that the laid back series about a guy with the power of amazon.com and his friends the giant wolf and baby slime go on adventures and cook food suddenly introduces slavery out of nowhere in volume 12 or whatever, because it's disappointing that the series you thought was better than that, wasn't

moves mic really close to mouth actually i don't give a poo poo about that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's nothing wrong with watching bad anime, since sometimes you don't want a Baccano! and instead need a Saber Marionette playing in the background or want to roll the dice on vampire Sherlock Holmes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
weird old anime nobody really talks about anymore are a more interesting watch than an isekai riding entirely on a set of gimmicks though

like to be clear i'm not wholly opposed to isekai here. i like a couple of them. i literally named shokei shoujo as a fantasy show worth watching just earlier. i just, don't see a reason to begin to force yourself to care about one gimmick isekai that are just the one gimmick and nothing else. even the idea of the amazon.com isekai is just. a gimmick. there's no fun character thing there it's just a gimmick. the idea is so inherently dull. it's like the antithesis of what i want out of fantasy, i want organically fun characters thrown into organically weird situations. stuff like shokei shoujo and re:zero is fun cause they just have a premise they run with to get to showing cool character stuff

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 30, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mostly just why are people so obsessed with talking about how disgusted they are that the trashy isekai theyre watching is trashy isekai

the whole thing feels performative, like people seek it out just so they can post about how much they hate it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

mostly just why are people so obsessed with talking about how disgusted they are that the trashy isekai theyre watching is trashy isekai

the whole thing feels performative, like people seek it out just so they can post about how much they hate it

buh? goons posting for attention?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

it wasn't a trashy isekai. It was a perfectly fine slice of life isekai series that a dozen volumes in introduces slavery where it wasn't there before. I understand being disappointed by that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

it wasn't a trashy isekai. It was a perfectly fine slice of life isekai series that a dozen volumes in introduces slavery where it wasn't there before. I understand being disappointed by that.
im talking in general here

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Endorph posted:

it's something internet posters can bond over by ripping on it and telling jokes to each other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coaaab posted:

it's something internet posters can bond over by ripping on it and telling jokes to each other
personally i would rather bond over interesting discussions on media then the same three jokes about bad isekai

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i would make good jokes rather than rehashed jokes, personally

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It doesn't even sound like these are bad enough in an interesting way to riff engagingly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m not watching isekai at this very moment

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't even sound like these are bad enough in an interesting way to riff engagingly.
Sometimes you get Strongest Sage with the Weakest Crest, sometimes you get Re:Zero. Such is the karmic cycle of anime.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

this is always my problem with bad isekai chat. every riff on them is just mad libs filled in with whatever the isekai's ostensible premise is. isekai is an old enough genre that all of the common jokes/shocking observations are very well worn by now, and since "bad isekai" tends to mean "obvious cash grab" there's not a whole lot else to remark on. there's not enough isekais built by someone obviously trying very hard to make something good, but failing spectacularly. they're made to hit buzz words more than anything else.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

isekai chat is nice for when one doesn't suck - i wholly intended on passing over magirevo this season as just another isekai but a bunch of people saying "hey, this seems pretty good" made me check it out and it was a fun time.

if word of mouth ensures i hear about the watchable stuff that's cool, because otherwise i see isekai and lose interest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shokei shoujo is cool even though it's very obviously a two volume adaptation of a much longer story. it's not masterfully crafted or anything but it has a clear sense of style and intent to it and feels pretty engaged in exploring its cast. at its weakest it still makes up for it with fun goofy stuff like giving every bad guy at the end of their arc a dramatic mgs boss death speech, and the cliffhanger ending is at least incredibly funny in like, a silly fantasy adventure way

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
a while ago i had a bunch of friends each nominate one anime they enjoyed that i haven't seen and i've been going through the list in random order when i feel like it. 2 weeks ago i finally rolled overlord and i was hoping it would at least help me find empathy for my seasonal bad isekai posting pals. unfortunately i will probably only end up hating bad isekai like overlord even more.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Big Leg posted:

a while ago i had a bunch of friends each nominate one anime they enjoyed that i haven't seen and i've been going through the list in random order when i feel like it. 2 weeks ago i finally rolled overlord and i was hoping it would at least help me find empathy for my seasonal bad isekai posting pals. unfortunately i will probably only end up hating bad isekai like overlord even more.

:hai:

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Endorph posted:

lol

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the common highlight bad things are just unfunny bad, and the rest of the bad is usually along the lines of a mostly unnotable "this is boring, time to stop or begin liberally using the skip forward button to watch at 5-10x speed until it maybe gets to something interesting I'm expecting to see or can't predict". Like most serialized tv series or movies, anime or not.

I dunno about other people, but something mostly bland but mostly inoffensive like Reborn to Master the Sword I might get through in 20% of the runtime after I know the character gags and which of the specific plot beats or animation sequences I might actually want to see. If I don't just abandon it because I don't think those bits will pay off. In this case it mostly did for what I put into it that I'm satisfied enough to not have regrets, but I would never ever watch the whole thing at regular speed/no skipping because it's so repetitive and predictable.

Gay Revolution Princesses, as much as I enjoyed most of the parts I watched in terms of runtime frames I saw, I think I only actually put eyes on 70-75% of the frames. Notably, I don't need 10-15 minutes of heavy frontloaded foreshadowing that someone's a mythical creature, then dragging out the reveal when it's pretty quickly apparent who and what it's about and not much other new ground is really being explored.

But this is also only somewhat less than Witch Gundams, which got me to look at probably 80-85% of the runtime frames.

This is not strictly a measure of goodness though, because I'd generally recommend Witch Gundams over Eminence in Shadow. But, I probably watched some 90-95% of Shadow's frames because the beats were harder to predict, there were gags I was expecting I wanted to see, I was invested in watching nearly all the frequent characters (which is rare for me in general not just for isekai), and/or I was there for the animation sequences for a scene.

The Colonel posted:

shokei shoujo is cool even though it's very obviously a two volume adaptation of a much longer story. it's not masterfully crafted or anything but it has a clear sense of style and intent to it and feels pretty engaged in exploring its cast. at its weakest it still makes up for it with fun goofy stuff like giving every bad guy at the end of their arc a dramatic mgs boss death speech, and the cliffhanger ending is at least incredibly funny in like, a silly fantasy adventure way
It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

The Colonel posted:

i liked shokei shoujo a lot. even though it stumbles a bit on the unimportant stuff like when they fight big bad guys, it's great at the important scenes like when akari imagines menou stabbing her with a watermelon