Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I played the demo ages okay and it was okay but I wasn't excited about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Deakul posted:

If y'all want to play a good anime FPS go play SHOGO Mobile Armor Division.

It's by Monolith, the Blood/No One Lives Forever/FEAR/Shadow of Mordor guys.

And it has totally normal gore!

This was some crazy stuff back in the day. It really stood out in the genre, despite being pretty unpolished.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm sure everyone here has a lot of great games just sitting around in their backlogs, waiting. I've finally played through the one of mine that most stuck in my craw, in the sense that I knew I should make it a priority but just didn't. But finally knocked out Legend of Grimrock 2. Absolute top tier game. 35 hours of pure Quality Gaming™. Feel like a genius when you test a theory to solve some vaguely-hinted riddle/puzzle and it works, the gate opens, you've figured it out. I got to the normal ending without looking anything up but lost a bit of patience after reloading to go for the secret ending, so used some hints for the cleanup.

Maybe this'll put some wind in my sails and I can get to some of the other heavy hitters in my backlog... but more likely it won't.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm sure everyone here has a lot of great games just sitting around in their backlogs, waiting. I've finally played through the one of mine that most stuck in my craw, in the sense that I knew I should make it a priority but just didn't. But finally knocked out Legend of Grimrock 2. Absolute top tier game. 35 hours of pure Quality Gaming™. Feel like a genius when you test a theory to solve some vaguely-hinted riddle/puzzle and it works, the gate opens, you've figured it out. I got to the normal ending without looking anything up but lost a bit of patience after reloading to go for the secret ending, so used some hints for the cleanup.

Maybe this'll put some wind in my sails and I can get to some of the other heavy hitters in my backlog... but more likely it won't.

Good reminder! I dropped 1 due to spiders but I saw there are mods for both games, going to give it another go as the game itself was great.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

haldolium posted:

Good reminder! I dropped 1 due to spiders but I saw there are mods for both games, going to give it another go as the game itself was great.

For whatever reason I could not find a control scheme for 1 that jibed with me on the Steam Deck but maybe I just didn’t put in enough effort…

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Live A Live is coming to Steam next month. In classic Square fashion the Steam page doesn’t seem to be available yet.

I know a lot of classic RPG fans really liked this one last year.

https://twitter.com/squareenix/status/1641364849744814080?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

placid plastic duck simulator is not recommended. this game lacks the exotic animals of MGSV and the satisfying gunfeel of DOOM, while also lacking strategic elements. that's because it's basically a desktop wallpaper. that's fine. wallpapers should come back. but it makes my Deck run HOT 'n' LOUD, unlike sophisticated but well-optimized games like the Hitman series. i don't know how they made displaying a small, simple, 3d-rendered scene such a power suck. not very environmentalist.

Anyway I let it run up some achievements to unlock the other levels and duck skins, and that didn't happen. There are like no "simulation" options at all and the other pools are... DLC? there's one environment available to you. i never felt ripped off on a dollar app before, but this isn't even a not-game: it's a demo for a not-game. even if you buy the dlc there are no features to speak of. no choosing duck color or controlling the release of them. no powerups to make a random duck quadruple in size. no NPC cheerleaders to chirp encouraging phrases at the ducks. i assume there's another app on steam that's a general-purpose "scene viewer" thing that has some features?

honestly i'm thinking about how ignored so many joyfully crafted games are and how an app like this is definitely earning a small profit. i haven't programmed since middle school and i'm sure i could make an app like this in a week. maybe i fuckin should

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

placid plastic duck simulator is recommended.

Ftfy

My duck set another duck on fire and another caused a cascade of other duckies with cool hats to do a semi random funny thing, which eventually gave an achievement that said a funny thing too.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My duck set another duck on fire

how? i can't find my ducks skill tree

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just wait. The ducks do what they want.

All hail 🦆

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Placid Plastic Duck Simulator is awesome, because I had it scheduled for gift delivery on xmas day for my 14y.o. son who wanted Dark Souls 3. Totally worth it. I ended up sending him DS3 too, but not until I was sure he totally hated my guts while struggling to maintain a brave "ha ha dad, that's so funny" figure. :getin:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

Placid Plastic Duck Simulator is awesome, because I had it scheduled for gift delivery on xmas day for my 14y.o. son who wanted Dark Souls 3. Totally worth it. I ended up sending him DS3 too, but not until I was sure he totally hated my guts while struggling to maintain a brave "ha ha dad, that's so funny" figure. :getin:

i forgot to mention duck simulator also lacks the time-consuming, confusing, user-hostile weapon & character upgrade systems of Dark Souls III.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1562430/DREDGE/

DREDGE - a fishing game with a horror/mystery flair - is now available. I was immediately sold by the demo back last fall and didn't want to play very long to save myself for the full release, so I'm hoping it will deliver.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

TeaJay posted:

DREDGE - a fishing game with a horror/mystery flair - is now available. I was immediately sold by the demo back last fall and didn't want to play very long to save myself for the full release, so I'm hoping it will deliver.

Whoa that looks fantastic. Steam deck verified, instant buy for sure.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Anno posted:

Live A Live is coming to Steam next month. In classic Square fashion the Steam page doesn’t seem to be available yet.

I know a lot of classic RPG fans really liked this one last year.

https://twitter.com/squareenix/status/1641364849744814080?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Great news coz I can't bring myself to buy any more games for the Switch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TeaJay posted:

Cool they made a game out of Lake Dredge Appraisal.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Graven's the game that interests me in that bundle, but not so much that i'd want to also give the citadel guy money. and I already have Viscerafest, Wrath, and Forgive Me Father already

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

A few years ago I played through both grimrock games on a whim and was shocked at how good 2 is. unexpectedly one of those games that I was very sad to see finally end. My team was 4 rats (in a trenchcoat) which is actually quite viable.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dredge loving rules

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

TwoDeer posted:

For whatever reason I could not find a control scheme for 1 that jibed with me on the Steam Deck but maybe I just didn’t put in enough effort…

I just installed it and it had "Legend of Grimrock" (official?) directly assigned, which works for me right now at least - maybe its not good enough later on when enemies are getting faster. But I don't know if it can get better shortcuts since the game requires rightclicking UI elements for combat so I think it's difficult/not possible to have shortcut buttons there. Movement is fine with stick and shoulder buttons for sidestep

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1641511504544677888

VS has won a bafter!

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

battle of the slot machines

(I'm being facetious but there's no way Elden Ring shouldn't have won that)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VS basically started an entirely new genre overnight, that's kind of the definition of what a Game Design award winner should be.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

elden ring is an open world rear end open world game

e;fb

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

VS basically started an entirely new genre overnight, that's kind of the definition of what a Game Design award winner should be.

explosivo posted:

e;fb

That's right

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

explosivo posted:

e;fb

And it's also the eleventh Berserk rip-off from a studio which pretty much only does that.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Ha, VS has also won best game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

vampire survivors is a surprise winner of the... BAFTA?!

that's like if the audubon society gave a "best freshman cheesemaker" award

and the winner was one very small wheel of cheese a guy carried in by accident

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ZearothK posted:

And it's also the eleventh Berserk rip-off from a studio which pretty much only does that.

Neither Sekiro or Armored Core are Berserk ripoffs.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

get out, british film and television institute. you have no jurisdiction here!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

i hope the VS guy thanked the mobile game he already admitted he copied from

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Squiggle posted:

Dredge loving rules

it really does.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Thirding that Dredge absolutely owns. I knew this game was something special when (early game spoiler) I got lost in the night, saw another ship, hurried over to it for safety, and got got because the ship I saw was just the lure of a hosed up giant anglerfish. :allears:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

It's basically an idle game with graphics.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lordfrikk posted:

It's basically an idle game with graphics.

And it's good!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

exquisite tea posted:

Except the guy copied the game design from a mobile game that already existed, almost entirely directly. He also has said so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarEternal posted:

Except the guy copied the game design from a mobile game that already existed, almost entirely directly. He also has said so.

Sucks to suck

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarEternal posted:

Yes but did that game start a brand new genre of game overnight? It did not.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zoux posted:

Yes but did that game start a brand new genre of game overnight? It did not.

... it created Vampire Survivors, without it, it literally wouldn't exist? so yes? In the same way that VS created other games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

WarEternal posted:

Just like minecraft copied infiniminer, doesn't mean that minecraft didn't create the genre. Or wordle being based on an old pen and paper game.