Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Your username comes with amnesia it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

DoctorWhat posted:

Your username comes with amnesia it's fine.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The World's Worst People™️ going after Doom's Day and/or Sooz Kempner is probably a better advertisement for the thing than the video ad.

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1638553880626618371

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ew, he’s back on Twitter? gently caress’s sake.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ew, he’s back on Twitter? gently caress’s sake.

All thanks to Elon. But barely anyone follows him these days, he's so repulsive even TERFs steer clear for the most part, lmao.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

How somebody responsible for some of my favorite ever television comedies could be such an unrepentant pile of poo poo depresses the gently caress out of me :sigh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

How somebody responsible for some of my favorite ever television comedies could be such an unrepentant pile of poo poo depresses the gently caress out of me :sigh:
You just have to think of it as him being partly responsible. He did the bits between the laughs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He wrote that episode about the main characters seeing a musical on the IT Crowd, that ends with a bizarre gay panic joke about one of the characters being abducted(!?) by wheelchair users because they think he's also a gay wheelchair user.

I dunno, that poo poo was always there.

(And that's on top of the saga with Matt Berry's ex, and a few other things.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

He wrote that episode about the main characters seeing a musical on the IT Crowd, that ends with a bizarre gay panic joke about one of the characters being abducted(!?) by wheelchair users because they think he's also a gay wheelchair user.

It's been a very long time since I saw that episode (beyond watching and rewatching the moment where Jen turns around and sees who is behind the bar, one of the funniest things I've ever seen) but if I remember correctly, he wasn't abducted, he had gotten trapped in a lie of his own making by making up a story about having his wheelchair stolen to explain why he was in the disabled bathroom and caused a major issue for an actual disabled patron. At any point he could have revealed the truth and simply walked away, but instead he went to ridiculous extremes to maintain the lie.

Again though, I haven't seen it in ages so maybe there was more stuff there around being gay I didn't notice on/forgot after first viewing.

(And that's on top of the saga with Matt Berry's ex)

I assume I am going to regret asking? :sigh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I assume I am going to regret asking? :sigh:

*the ex of the character played by Matt Berry in the show, not Matt Berry himself.

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a very long time since I saw that episode (beyond watching and rewatching the moment where Jen turns around and sees who is behind the bar, one of the funniest things I've ever seen) but if I remember correctly, he wasn't abducted, he had gotten trapped in a lie of his own making by making up a story about having his wheelchair stolen to explain why he was in the disabled bathroom and caused a major issue for an actual disabled patron. At any point he could have revealed the truth and simply walked away, but instead he went to ridiculous extremes to maintain the lie.

Doesn't he end the episode while being forcibly wheeled into a van, begging and mewling that he's "not disabled"? Though it has been a long time for me as well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Nah, Roy just gets too caught in the lie that he just has to sit there until the end of the episode.

Sure, he could’ve just said “look, it was either I use the disabled loos or I piss my pants”, but at the same time Ted could’ve just gone outside to talk to the Chinese family on Craggy Island and say “I was being racist and it was wrong of me, I’m sorry”, but that doesn’t make for 22 minutes of comedy.

And if he did, we wouldn’t have him attributing his sake disability to “…acid?”

…come to think of it, does Linehan realise he’s basically become that lady with the shopping bags who complains to Ted about the Greeks inventing gays?

TinTower fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 24, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/Robritchie409/status/1639784982783590402

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

...is it bad that I think the non updated and restored titles are vastly superior?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"4K Doctor Who Title Sequence 1967-1969" is the worst title for an episode

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Davros1 posted:

"4K Doctor Who Title Sequence 1967-1969" is the worst title for an episode

The 4K Doctor Who Title Sequence 1967–1969…

*twang!*

OF DEATH.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I was promised Doctor Oho! I've been tricked!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TinTower posted:

The 4K Doctor Who Title Sequence 1967–1969…

*twang!*

OF DEATH.

Much better

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
18 years since new doctor who began! Do we still call 2005 era new doctor who? Oh god I'm old. :corsair:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Confusedslight posted:

18 years since new doctor who began! Do we still call 2005 era new doctor who? Oh god I'm old. :corsair:

Ancient Who (1960s)
Classic Who (1970s-1980s)
NoWho (1990s)
NuWho (2000s)
GoodWho (2010s)
Doctor Who (2020s)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, 18 amazing seasons to look back on and enjoy!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Confusedslight posted:

Revival era.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So somebody with more money than sense bought me an avatar for taking a position I was actually taking the opposite of, and I'm considering finally buying archives when I buy my old angry face in a glass of water avatar back.

But what's gonna' dictate that decision is whether or not there was a gameday thread of The Eleventh Hour I can go back to read. :allears:

Was there such a thing, back then?

Edit: Oh, poo poo! I guess somebody bought me archives access at some point. I wish I could remember who or why. So I guess, could somebody link me to that thread, if it exists?

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 27, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

So somebody with more money than sense bought me an avatar for taking a position I was actually taking the opposite of, and I'm considering finally buying archives when I buy my old angry face in a glass of water avatar back.

But what's gonna' dictate that decision is whether or not there was a gameday thread of The Eleventh Hour I can go back to read. :allears:

Was there such a thing, back then?

Edit: Oh, poo poo! I guess somebody bought me archives access at some point. I wish I could remember who or why. So I guess, could somebody link me to that thread, if it exists?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3287901

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Welsh Series

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/safespacedrwho/status/1639921667227938816

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Words cannot express the sheer joy and relief I felt getting to hear that theme song again for a NEW episode of Doctor Who after all those years :shobon:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was late to the party, even for nuWho standards (seems like a third era will begin with the new doctor). My stepdad kinda liked the originals and I saw a few random ones over the years but never got sucked in and then I can't remember how but I started watching one of the newest seasons or currently airing one, pretty sure when Matt Smith was in America and there's the astronaut and... A lot. So I figured I should probably go back to the start, but that was an unfathomable amount of show to catch up and a lot of it at the time was more lost than some stuff still is today? So I ended up starting at Eccelston, I didn't like him at first or didn't think I did until I was gutted when he died and I definitely didn't like this next stranger showing up in his shoes, and then I loved that Doctor and every other since. Except now I'm always excited to see someone else's take on the character even if I'll miss the old one. Helps knowing that the show will probably find a way to bring most of em back for cameos or specials someday, and if I ever get really homesick for a doctor, endless Big Fish radio shows and stories for basically everyone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you so much!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oh, you mean the McCoy series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, you mean the McCoy series

I was a big fan of the renewal series, Patrick Troughton is great!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, you mean the McCoy series Trial of a Timelord.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, that was the Resuscitated Series!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

How about for clarity we just have two distinct eras? Pre- and Post- Doctor in Distress?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Coward posted:

How about for clarity we just have two distinct eras? Pre- and Post- Doctor in Distress?

no

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

RIP Paul O’Grady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEm7LOW5ktY

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-suckers-2558

I listened to this play a while back -- it's pretty decent, would recommend if you don't mind a dark take on institutionalised racism and the collapse of UK public funding for mental health -- and was thinking about it again given the recent chat about how an X-Files revival would work and the dangers of telling genre fiction about conspiracy narratives. And I was wondering if someone here could run me through the arguments here, because I just don't get them.

The ultimate reveal in Suckers is that the UK government is just letting some space squids (who are about as smart as cats) snack on the mentally ill because that's cheaper than investing the money in supporting them, and tbh that seems like a basically fine thing to tell a story about? But it's also conspiracy theory genre fiction, which is supposed to be bad. So I don't get the argument against it.

Like, so much of Doctor Who is critical of the government, big business, etc. or just straight up does alien abductions, folk horror, urban weirdness, and I'm not sure how that's considered okay when similar X-Files-y stories aren't. Is it tone? But, again, Children of Earth, etc. take a dark, serious tone to the material.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 31, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-suckers-2558

I listened to this play a while back -- it's pretty decent, would recommend if you don't mind a dark take on institutionalised racism and the collapse of UK public funding for mental health -- and was thinking about it again given the recent chat about how an X-Files revival would work and the dangers of telling genre fiction about conspiracy narratives. And I was wondering if someone here could run me through the arguments here, because I just don't get them.

The ultimate reveal in Suckers is that the UK government is just letting some space squids (who are about as smart as cats) snack on the mentally ill because that's cheaper than investing the money in supporting them, and tbh that seems like a basically fine thing to tell a story about? But it's also conspiracy theory genre fiction, which is supposed to be bad. So I don't get the argument against it.

Like, so much of Doctor Who is critical of the government, big business, etc. or just straight up does alien abductions, folk horror, urban weirdness, and I'm not sure how that's considered okay when similar X-Files-y stories aren't. Is it tone? But, again, Children of Earth, etc. take a dark, serious tone to the material.

I think the problem is that the world as it was when The X-Files aired, and the world as it is now, are vastly different when it comes to things like conspiracy theories. A lot of conspiracy theory fiction from back in the day often tended to paint the theorists as either benignly harmless loons (Dale Gribble from King of the Hill is probably the best example of this), or "THEY WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG!" that you'd see in 1990s movies like The Net, etc. They were also often painted as your average Joe or Jane, roped unwittingly and unwillingly into a massive government-run conspiracy that would require tens, if not hundreds, of people to either keep their mouths shut or get killed.

In the modern age, conspiracy theorists tend to be anything but benignly harmless loons, and many of them are in fact in positions of power within their country's government, and use their position to push whatever theories they are currently obsessed with. In the age of QAnon, Pizzagate, Hunter Biden's Laptop, January 6th, etc., it's dumb (if not outright irresponsible) to try and present fictional versions of these types of people as just harmless cranks muttering to themselves (using Dale Gribble from KotH again, there has been some discussion online about how he's potentially going to be portrayed when the KotH revival eventually gets aired; a lot of his anti-government conspiracy schtick doesn't play so well in the modern era). Especially when many of them have shown in recent years that they're more than capable of being very violent. Taken in that light, I can very easily see why nowadays, people aren't really feeling the idea of a piece of fiction that's basically "a powerful shadowy cabal with links all the way to the top of the government is coming for YOU", because these days they probably hear that all the time from a real person that they actually know.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 31, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

THAT TURTLENECK.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1641817654083158019?t=vAvbuvNGWQPK0__XcI9uUw&s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah that turtleneck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I know it's not a basketball, but confirmed the 9th Doctor can hoop.