Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I only have so much space so just modern ones for now. I'm basically got all of them except the 85/3.5 macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Wibla posted:

Don't discount older D primes, they can be quite good. And often cheap.

A lot of the old cheap D Prime weaknesses are soft edges, slap that on a aps-c camera though and those edges are cut off anyway.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The 24mm 2.8 AF-D it’s an absolute banger walk around lens on a DX body. 36 mm perspective, sharp, small, snappy focus, great manual override. And you can find them for 100ish bucks now in great condition.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Just make sure your body can drive them. I think the 3xxx and 5xxx series they are manual only on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Helping out another goon with a free D200 that was in rough shape. Was not worth selling and not worth throwing away. Paired it with a crappy lens(Phoenix contract 19-35mm) I got in a lot that I would never use but also not broken so no need to throw out.

35K shutter. Rear screen a tiny big hazy underneath but doesn't affect use. Rubber was swollen and peeling. Not worth buying replacement rubber so I just cut the slack out of it and re-adhered it with pliobond-25. Plenty of life left.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So that Z6II EVF isn't half bad...

Ugh. GAS is the worst.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Wibla posted:

So that Z6II EVF isn't half bad...

Ugh. GAS is the worst.

Not half bad, but still EVF bad? I also have been thinking about a Z6II but coming from a D800 I don’t know if I can deal with the EVF; every one I’ve tried has been terrible.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

vote_no posted:

Not half bad, but still EVF bad? I also have been thinking about a Z6II but coming from a D800 I don’t know if I can deal with the EVF; every one I’ve tried has been terrible.

It did NOT deal well with the indoor lighting at the shop, lots of flickering, so I'd have to test it in proper daylight to really know... but for the things I want to use a Z-camera for right now, I have a Z30 and I have an FTZ in a few days so I think I'll hold off for now anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel like EVFs are maybe 5-10yr out for me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm just not sensitive to EVFs or something, but I went from a D850 (and D750/D800 before that) to a Z6 and found the EVF preferable. My good glass is all manual focus only and the mirrors on the DSLRs just weren't precise enough and adjusting them was a huge pain that I never got quite right. I went so far as to buy a mirror with microprisms for my D800, but to adjust it you basically have to cut tiny shims for the mirror and what I had on hand was never quite perfect so I'd wind up having to use live view for critical focus anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well yeah EVF is great for manual focus but it's never gonna look as good as an OVF.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

powderific posted:

I don't know if I'm just not sensitive to EVFs or something, but I went from a D850 (and D750/D800 before that) to a Z6 and found the EVF preferable

Same. the Z6 was good enough, but the Z9's very bright and detailed 120fps EVF was even better to the point that in a year of shooting with it have never once encountered a situation where I missed having the OVF. Last month I sent my Z9 to the local Nikon service center for cleaning and had to use my previously so beloved D850 again for a week. The OVF felt so dark and I guess I've come to rely on focus peaking. Hated having to do manual focusing without.

I do a lot of macro photography for documentation of my electronics work. My main lens for that is a lovely but manually focused z-mount Laowa 100mm. While the Z9 was away I had to go back to an old nikon AF 105mm macro with extender rings.

When the Z9 came back I traded the 850 for a Phaseone P45+ digital back for my old Hasselblad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Maybe I play too many high frame rate pc games. But yes a lot of EVFs look bad to me. I'm sure the newer models fix it but I usually buy stuff that's a couple gens old to save money.

Having just got on a 3 day hiking holiday and done it all on one battery made me appreciate my simple DSLR.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 25, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I mostly shoot Nikon but have a Fuji X-T30 for taking around town when I don’t want to carry a DSLR. The EVF is cool, but manually focusing with it is absolutely painful. I’ve heard it’s better on the more expensive and newer bodies, but I can’t see poo poo if trying to focus at anything under F2.8.

I really want to try a Z9 even though I won’t have one until years from now, the good Lord willing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

nikon should just give previous nikon owners all z9s for free for sticking through the online bullying

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me EVFs went from being definite downgrade compared to an OVF and only really a thing I used in bright sunlight with the G2, GH3, XT20, and various camcorders to something that was mostly equivalent and in some ways better than an OVF with the Z6, S1H, and blackmagic OLED.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Got the FTZ adapter today. Z30 with a 30+ year old tokina looks goofy, but works fine (sans AF). My Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G2 does not work, it needs a fw update. I was prepared for that, though.

Biggest surprise was my old Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I never got along with it on my D70s and D300 due to focus issues, but it works great on the Z30, probably because of how the focus system works in the mirrorless cameras. Never mind the weight :haw:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got a $700 repair estimate for my 80-400 that someone dropped last week. Sad trombone.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If anyone needs to borrow Tamron or Sigma USB docks for Nikon F PM me.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

powderific posted:

Just got a $700 repair estimate for my 80-400 that someone dropped last week. Sad trombone.

Yikes. At least they’ll still service it?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and definitely better than the last lens I sent in where it was basically a wash vs just buying another one.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

All I was able to ever do to my Tamron 45/1.8 with the TAP-in Console was gently caress up my focus. Eventually I realized it was as good as it could get a 0/0/0 adjustment, but it just doesn’t focus that fast in 3D tracking with my D810.

And also that everything misfocuses somewhat on the left side of the AF zone on that camera.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

All I was able to ever do to my Tamron 45/1.8 with the TAP-in Console was gently caress up my focus. Eventually I realized it was as good as it could get a 0/0/0 adjustment, but it just doesn’t focus that fast in 3D tracking with my D810.

And also that everything misfocuses somewhat on the left side of the AF zone on that camera.

Everything? Also other lenses? Might be worth getting it calibrated by Nikon.

I'll have to look at finding/borrowing a Tamron tap if I get a Z6II or Z7II, it's not worth the weight on my Z30 :v:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You know your D850 has AF fine tune adjust per lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYXXP9r0oAc

It basically uses live view focus to determine how far off the phase detect is. Per lens.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 28, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

holy poo poo thank you - going to try and calibrate some lenses sometime this week - maybe it'll save a few shots in the long run.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol I've had my D7500 for 4 years and never knew I could do that.

Well, project for this weekend.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's nice that it also lets you manually change the offset value after calibration in case you need to but I haven't really used this feature to know if that's ever an issue.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I watched another video that suggested performing it multiple times and then taking the average, so manually altering it can be useful.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I would imagine you would want to do it whatever your normal working distances are. Or just do near, infinity, and medium and figure out an average.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Enjoy the fine-tune focus rabbit hole, folks. It can take some time to figure out the right number for a lens, but then it’s worth it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

Enjoy the fine-tune focus rabbit hole, folks. It can take some time to figure out the right number for a lens, but then it’s worth it.
The systems that give you an offset instead of a curve that's a function of the focusing distance can go F themselves honestly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I have a few older F mount bodies with haze under the LCD cover(not the removable one) which makes it...annoying as you'll brain wants to just wipe it clean but you can't because its on the inside. Well I just said gently caress it and took the rear cover off (D2HS) and did the needful. This was a freebie body with some swollen rubber I need to fix so I didn't feel bad about opening it up and possibly breaking something. I took the chance to pop all the buttons and clean the hard to reach parts as well. No photos as I didn't bother taking a before photo but the haze on this one was particularly bad.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hi Nikon thread, I'm still a learner and a bit unhappy with my Canon T3's burst performance for panning shots, massive noise at ISO 1600, and now the reputation of climate denialism. I have no lenses to speak of - just the Canon kit lens and EF 70-300mm that came with the T3. I also think there's a hot pixel that comes and goes.

I am trying to not give in to the urge to get a Z6 kit for $1200 in hopes of overcoming the crappy burst and ISO noise problems. Is this a lousy idea? Should I stick it out with my T3 until the bitter end? Or is now a good time to switch ecosystems to the Z and FTZ world?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I hadn't heard about the canon climate stuff. Weird.

The t3 is a reasonably old camera and was entry level at the time too. So anything you buy today would probably blow it out of the water for both burst and iso performance.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was in Japan until last week and got to put my hands on a Z6 II. What I thought was the autofocus was actually the burst rate. It was like a goddamn machine gun. Granted, the II has a higher rate but even so it's insane.

I guess it's more of a question about the lens ecosystem. I saw the goon who's selling a D750 package - out of my price range but there's tons of non-Z lenses out there. Should I gun for a better specced more modern Nikon DSLR rather than the Z6? I don't know if I want to throw more than $1500ish since I'm still very much a learner, but all the time I spend in Lightroom fixing up shots from my T3 is a bit disheartening.

In-body image stabilization seems like a really great thing, though, and as far as I can tell that only really exists in mirrorless cameras. My real interest is nighttime cityscapes and architecture, and the idea of getting 1/5 second exposures without a tripod is like wizardry. Then there's the whole in-camera HDR thing.

I'm not doing a very good job dissuading myself. Are there any other reasons I should NOT upgrade to a Z6?

Edit: oh dear God I've even got noise at ISO 800. Yeah okay we're upgrading so I don't have to spend like 15 minutes per photo in Lightroom.

MJP fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 9, 2023

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
The Z6 II is an excellent and very rounded camera with AF, resolution and framerate adequate for pretty much everything other than the types of extremes that would justify a D6 or Z9 anyway. The high-ISO noise is very manageable and arguably less pronounced than on the Z9. Records 4K 60 internally. I like that it has an optional firmware update that unlocks proRes RAW via HDMI output that you can record on a Ninja V. I think my only complaint with the Z6 was that it felt a bit angular in my hand and it didn't have illuminated buttons, and the card door popped open too easily.

Ambivalent on Canon's climate issues. It's just anther corporate behemoth conglomerate with a market cap one and a half times that of Apple. Irrespective of how the camera division is connected to the rest of the enterprise, I generally don't think it is possible on any level to ethically / sustainably / ecologically partake in the proliferation and use of high tech electronics which can only exist on top of our all-devouring, absolutely fundamentally unethical and unsustainable industrial civilization. The corporations exist intertwined in a system that extends to include governments, institutional shareholders and ultimately all of us and the terrible decisions we make collectively.

You buy any one electronic device from Apple or Canon or Nikon or Samsung or Nvidia or whatever and you are feeding the demand drivers that cause carbon emissions, energy consumption, pollution, open pit mining (with for hire or slave labor) and other forms of mineral extraction operations destroying people, animals, forests and ecosystems.

Short of radical systemic changes to our market based economy driven by the whims of clever and greedy monkeys bereft of wisdom, the fig leaves of promised carbon emissions reductions by such and such percentage by such and such year represent nothing more than greenwashed farts in the wind.

Unless you're prepared to process all that in your buying decisions, I'd perhaps suggest that within the narrow niche of high tech electronic photography, let your equipment selection decisions be driven by what you want it to do, and how long you want it to last. The last qualifier I think is the least flimsy fig leaf it's possible to wear these days as a would-be ethical electronics consumer : don't buy crap you know will disappoint and get discarded quickly. If you buy something good enough, it will last and satisfy longer and have resale value and so your pressure on the devastation & resource extraction demand side will ultimately be less.

((( PS: in general, not specific to cameras, also consider repairability as a factor in ethical electronics buying decisions. Support R2R legislation. )))

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 9, 2023

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I also think that lens selection plays a big role. Does one system have a lens or lenses that you really want? What swung it for me with Nikon was the familiar and intuitive user interface.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

therattle posted:

What swung it for me with Nikon was the familiar and intuitive user interface.

yeah, same here. I have been a Nikon shooter for 30 years but I was "Canon-curious" from time to time. The Sonys were fun I hated their nerdy menus and I felt the camera UI was getting in my way all the time. I never learned to like the ergonomics of the thumb wheel on the back on the Canon bodies. The topside dials and mode selector operation on the Nikon pro bodies have been unchanged since the mid early 90s and it just works better for me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
tl,dr: We're hosed. Pick what feels good in your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you really hate lightroom and post editing then consider a Fujifilm. They have pretty fantastic in camera styles and make great jpegs out of the camera.

As they are aps-c you won't be able to push the iso as high as a full frame like a z6 but still be a big jump from your current camera. Lots of Fuji xt3s floating around for £600.