Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It kind of feels like they're being like "Oh we'll make the NX-01 refit and Odyssey class canon, but then you have to accept our crap show as canon. Also we're gonna blow up and retire the -F the second it shows up, gently caress you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

That post seems a bit nit-picky but man they are just churning through Enterprises in these modern Treks. You'll never hear an admiral being all "The Enterprise is forty years old, Jim" anymore.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the enterprise is four years old, jean-luc! blow up the drat ship!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Plenty of letters left in the alphabet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the enterprise-Z would probably look like the uss vengeance lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm just happy that the Saratoga has finally been retired to a museum where nothing and no one can hurt it anymore.

The suffering is over :unsmith:

I hope they bring in Kurt Russel to fly it in the finale

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Elder Postsman posted:

Ok ok sure fine fine, that's fine. So we got such as the Titan and Stargazer all constantly updated/refitted over decades - 7 of them for the Stargazer - but then the Enterprise E is gone after a few years, the F is "early decommissioned" apparently after barely a decade (29 years between the two of them, idk when the E stoped being and the F launched) and maybe we're gonna see the Enterprise-G now? Why weren't those refitted? Or is the G gonna just be a mAsSiVeLy UpDaTeD rEfIt of the F? I dunno about all this. It's just seems so stupid.

You can actually figure out roughly what their lifetimes have been -

D - 2362-2371
E - 2373-2386
F - 2386-2401

So 9, 13 and 15 years respectively, they're slightly improving :shobon:

Hell, since there's already a Voyager-B the one we don't even get to see until Prodigy season 2 airs got it's ticket punched at around 15 years tops

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Beeftweeter posted:

that's one of the things that bug me though. to me the NX-01 does look unfinished — literally, it looks like it could use a couple coats of paint (in comparison to the later models, anyway). the problem is that they started depicting almost everything like this, but it's inconsistent. the SNW enterprise sometimes looks like that, and i guess having a variety of light sources will do that, but to illustrate what i mean take a look at the farragut:

it looks like it's made out of scrap metal and the panels are way too visible. where did they build this thing, an abandoned tesla factory

It’s the lighting. Modern Trek uses pretty harsh lighting sources and has the glow from the bussard collectors, impulse engines, and nacelles reflect a ton on the surrounding exterior. Just look at the red glow from the bussards all over the bottom of the Farragut. Modern Trek also gives exterior plating a distinct metallic texturing that amplifies this lighting. And it’s not just a thing for the new ship designs either, just look at any of the recent cgi models of past Enterprises or even the Voyager from the last episode.

It’s a very different look from tiny model lights and sprayed matte or satin paint.

And it’s not something created by the Kelvin movies or Disco either, you can see a version of it happening in Enterprise’s cgi models as well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Extremely hype for..

*rolls dice*

....Data to shoot ultra powerful laser beams out of his eyes and cut some dude in half tonight?

Or maybe..

...uhhh...

*rolls dice again*

....the Outrageous Okana shows up and throws a stick of dynamite at Vadic?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This show doesn’t deserve an Okona cameo, that’s reserved for Good Treks

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I will settle for Admiral Jellico showing up in a power armor suit and punching Changelings so hard, they shapeshift into ground beef.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh weird, "dominion" is up already

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I assume that having the Fleet Museum be a Starbase means there’s a ton of hotel rooms in it. You’d need a few days to look around all the ships, and presumably there’s exhibitions and gift shops and whatnot inside too…

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It's all fun and games until someone gets lost in the Jeffries Tubes network.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Awesome. Another installment of more questions and no answers.

Stuff happened, but nothing actually happened. For the 7th week in a row of this terrible series. The mystery box era will forever be a stain on the television medium.

So Jack is super telepathic and can take over someone else. Cool. Are we supposed to care? They’ve had 6 episodes to show us this ability and neglected to, now they have 3 left to tell us any implications of it regarding the changelings.

Imagine if you were watching Lord of the Rings and you didn’t learn that Aragorn is Isildur’s heir until halfway through Return of the King. Not only that, but you also didn’t know why that would even matter. What if you had no clue that the ring was Sauron’s “essence”. Then when Sam and Frodo get to the base of Mount Doom, Frodo accidentally slips the ring on and realizing that it was actually evil the whole time. Honestly those examples aren’t even as bad as this trash storytelling is.

At least tell us the actual stakes, Terry Matalas, you absolute hack. “The end of the Federation” is an abstraction, before one of the defenders says those are the stakes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Super Deuce posted:

At least tell us the actual stakes, Terry Matalas, you absolute hack. “The end of the Federation” is an abstraction, before one of the defenders says those are the stakes.

If we had conspiracy bugs I'd be down with it as the end of the federation but I hate that it's Changelings, you're basically re-writing DS9 here.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

It was a nice surprise to see Tim Russ, even if he wasn't playing Tuvok.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well

That made no sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol my wife fell asleep so i only watched half

...can't blame her really. so far everything has been pretty predictable

- tuvok wasn't tuvok of course
- jack is telepathic now i guess
- this is pretty much where i stopped watching but lol @ geordi. "drat it, why won't the transporter work?" while lore is plugged into the drat thing like 3 feet away

:sigh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i'm still inclined to say vadic sucks

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
- Why lay this trap and capture Vadic and then just… continue to sit there unpowered?
- Why the gently caress are you connecting an unstable android containing LORE to any system on your ship whatsoever?
- Why did establishing a couple simple force fields require such a massive feat of engineering teamwork?
- Why was Section 31 apparently experimenting on Vadic in an over the top Victorian-era sanitarium?

I genuinely could not believe Picard and Crusher discussing their bizarrely obvious execution plans within earshot of Vadic wasn’t some ruse just to get her guard down and resolve things peacefully. Just awestruck that they were apparently entirely earnest and started opening fire like a bad action movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The flyby of every ship in the fleet is going to be really boring when we finally see it. "Inquiry... Inquiry... Inquiry... another Inquiry... Inquiry..."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Worf wasn’t in this episode because he’d have been the first person to point out how lovely their plan was

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveBlass/status/1641118176183197696

Dave Blass just posted a huge rear end thread on all the ships at the fleet museum.
I think this info dump is pretty cool overall and I appreciate the close-ups, but Honey I Shrunk the Excelsior.

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Apparently Kronos One is also on temporary loan from the Klingon Empire to the museum. I guess the HMS Bounty is more of a case of "gently caress you, it's ours now" :shrug:
I can buy the Klingons letting the Federation keep the Bounty, seeing it as Kirk claiming it as an honorable trophy of victory or something. Especially since when he stole it the Federation and Klingons were still arch enemies so it's not like they'd have volunteered to give it back. But yeah it seemed pretty weird that the Klingons would have been okay with the Federation keeping their Air Force One after having their leader assassinated aboard it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i watched the rest and uh

holy moly that was really bad. where to even begin?

- what kind of loving plan was that?
- why plug lore into the titan at all?
- lmao @ picard and bev immediately deciding to execute vadic
- i still think jack is a changeling
- on that note, lmao, called the shinzon stuff too
- why was the bridge crew just sitting around?

e: lol this

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Why lay this trap and capture Vadic and then just… continue to sit there unpowered?
- Why the gently caress are you connecting an unstable android containing LORE to any system on your ship whatsoever?
- Why did establishing a couple simple force fields require such a massive feat of engineering teamwork?
- Why was Section 31 apparently experimenting on Vadic in an over the top Victorian-era sanitarium?

I genuinely could not believe Picard and Crusher discussing their bizarrely obvious execution plans within earshot of Vadic wasn’t some ruse just to get her guard down and resolve things peacefully. Just awestruck that they were apparently entirely earnest and started opening fire like a bad action movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Poor Shaw deserves a long vacation after all of this is rectified.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I want to know where the gently caress they're going to try to go with this whole "Picard didn't have Irumodic Syndrome" thing. Nowhere good and/or satisfying, I'm certain, but I'm really curious exactly what kind of asspull they're going to try to hand us.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Whatever the hell it means, it probably has everything to do with how Jack is some sort of eye-glowy telepath. Maybe whatever it was, really, that Picard had in his DNA instead of Irumodic Syndrome was passed onto his son.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Also, it was kind of odd that no part of their plans involved retrieving Will and Deanna, considering the Shrike was just sitting right there with most of its crew on the Titan, they knew that Will at least was aboard it. But not a mention of getting him/them back, unless I missed it. Also possible.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

lol at the dumbest plan in Starfleet history, but also lol that Jack is a Sith Lord?!?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Picard has some kind of genetic mutation that gives massive telepathic powers, you say? Hmm...

Belan
May 7, 2007
The Enterprise better show up with the actual TNG crew because I have no clue who all these people are supposed to be

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

People arguing about ships while I'm wondering how this museum could get enough traffic to support the whole rear end earth space dock

Who says they're supporting the whole rear end spacedock? Most of it is probably powered down and offline. Its an exhibit in and of itself. Earth needed a new spacedock because this was getting old, the old spacedock has historical significance, so they decided to use it as the core of the museum. It was either that or scrap it, and there's no need to scrap it. Keep enough of it online to run the museum, let the rest sit there inactive in the cold dark of space, it's not like things rot out there the same as they do on earth.

Either that or it's fully operational as the Starfleet orbital facility of Athan Prime, as well as being a museum.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 30, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's a museum. I'm going to fanfic a bit but I bet there is a hotel for guests, housing for researchers and staff, and gently caress it, there's an entire engineering and ship design university on site. Who wouldn't want to learn ship engineering at the university that also houses the fleet museum.

Also gently caress it, 170 year old Scotty is the dean.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Picard has some kind of genetic mutation that gives massive telepathic powers, you say? Hmm...

It’s too late vadic, I’ve already seen everything

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Did the writers forget that Picard and Xavier are two different characters Stewart's played?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Did the writers forget that Picard and Xavier are two different characters Stewart's played?

I'm not sure Stewart knows anymore

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
the gently caress did I just watch.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sorry to interrupt our hate chat of the latest episode and return to the previous discussion, but I have to say that the TOS aesthetics absolutely suck rear end. Obviously, when inventing a fictional future you're limited in your imagination by what current technology exists, but I think 60 years on, we've learned they totally got it wrong when it comes to the future of computing interfaces. I've got no problem reimagining the whole Enterprise based on a more modern understanding of what the future will be. And I think Enterprise totally nailed the aesthetic as well. Obviously, they had less of a delta from the present time to the future they were presenting, but I agree that the utilitarian submarine vibe was absolutely perfect.

This is kind of a weird way to view it, but I don't necessarily imagine myself watching a Star Trek episode as me watching a "documentary" of something that happened in the Star Trek universe. Rather I'm watching a "present-day" production recreating the events depicted episode. So the "real" Enterprise isn't what we saw in TOS, and it's not what we see in SNW either. It's what we interpreted the Enterprise as at the time of production.

Also as I'm rewatching TNG I'm coming to the conclusion that that era of ship design was just the best. Being limited by physical miniature models forced designers into making smooth and sleek models, but they weren't so cheap that they just had to glue a couple blocks together like they did for the TOS Enterprise. Hollywood loves that "panels of metal" aesthetic and it's everywhere now, thanks to the power of CGI. That, and greebles have just infested all of Sci-fi production for the last 20 years. Enterprise had a little bit of it, but not too much. But now I feel like it's infested all these new Star Trek designs, and I don't like it.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s the lighting. Modern Trek uses pretty harsh lighting sources and has the glow from the bussard collectors, impulse engines, and nacelles reflect a ton on the surrounding exterior. Just look at the red glow from the bussards all over the bottom of the Farragut. Modern Trek also gives exterior plating a distinct metallic texturing that amplifies this lighting. And it’s not just a thing for the new ship designs either, just look at any of the recent cgi models of past Enterprises or even the Voyager from the last episode.

It’s a very different look from tiny model lights and sprayed matte or satin paint.

And it’s not something created by the Kelvin movies or Disco either, you can see a version of it happening in Enterprise’s cgi models as well.

One thing JJTrek did well was the finish of the Enterprise. Whatever anyone thinks of the design, it got that TMP hull appearance down pat.