Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

meh, we survived 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Super El Nino? Sounds too grim and confusing to me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

i already subscribe to El Niño Plus :mad:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

graph goes up, means number goes up. which is great news

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

drat weather making people think that something might be wrong

I've had a couple conservatives at work tell me that the climate changing is natural probably 30 times in the past few months compared to maybe once or twice a year before 2023. I think the news is concerning them lately.

did you know plants like carbon dioxide? do you know how much co2 was in the atmosphere in the jurassic? do you know sea levels used to be higher? did you know florida was supposed to be drowning by now? al gore greta thunberg?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Look here loony left moonbat, climate change may be real but it is not that bad yet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hubbert posted:

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1640801446299058176

don't worry, doomers

the economists will save us

ill nino

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Hubbert posted:

El Nino's Baja Blast

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hubbert posted:

don't worry, doomers

tw: snl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhdDeWNvvTI

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

Look here loony left moonbat, climate change may be real but it is not that bad yet

most recently i was given a "The sea rose 9 inches in the past 100 years and 400 feet in the past 20,000. Chicken littles don't think about that kind of thing"

I think their point was that our level of sea rise in our lifetimes so far is geologically insignificant

I wonder how early man moved the 3,000,000,000 of them that lived in a global series of coastal cities and floodplains while the sea was rising like that. It must have been difficult to restructure their entire industrialized global society around a changing environmental condition. Thank god we are due for a gradual increase over a period of centuries and nothing can cause abrupt changes to sea levels as we warm and also the higher sea levels will have no impacts at all outside of the measurement changing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
oh snap!

England not prepared for climate change impact

quote:

England is not ready for the unavoidable impacts of global warming, the government's advisers on climate change say in a new report.

The Committee on Climate Change (CCC) said the government hasn't achieved any of its targets and needed a policy "step change" to avoid loss of life.

oops. that number again: zero. zero targets

quote:

The government said it would take the recommendations into account.

quote:

A UK government spokesperson told the BBC: "We have taken decisive action to improve the UK's climate change resilience - including investing a record £5.2bn into flood defences."

The spokesperson said the government would factor in the committee's recommendations to the new National Adaptation Plan, which is expected to be published this summer.

I love that when someone says the government should do something the government can just say "yeah we'll factor that in" (into the bin) and that's that

anyway i'm looking forward to that NAP

quote:

The committee reviewed the government's plans across 12 other areas - from buildings to transport to nature. They found that just five out of the 45 policy areas had fully credible climate change plans and none were making progress to improve climate resilience.

:pathetic:

quote:

The committee said the government needed to consider the resilience of farming systems in other countries.

Nearly half of all the food the UK consumes is imported. The CCC said this makes all of the UK's food supply vulnerable to global weather patterns.

Already this year supermarkets have placed limits on fruit and vegetable sales after bad weather in North Africa affected supply.

pffft whatever

quote:

Internet at risk

WAIT WHAT *grabs article by the lapels* WHAT DO YOU MEAN "INTERNET AT RISK"

quote:

The report singled out England's internet networks as being woefully unprepared for climate change despite their crucial importance.

England's internet networks - made up of hundreds of data centres, and extensive networks of cables and masts - underpin the UK's service-based economy.

This infrastructure is already at risk from extreme weather, including heat and strong winds during storms. In November 2021, Storm Arwen left one million British properties without power and internet supply.

:negative: but my anime torrents

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
so what’s going on with the spill in Ohio?

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

TACD posted:

i already subscribe to El Niño Plus :mad:

refuse to call it anything except Super El Niño - sounds like a great SNES title

ultimateforce posted:

Gonna have to be more specific on that one, lmao. More seriously though, there's not been any news stories on it overnight, is already fading from memory.

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Mar 29, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
El Cabron

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
El oh el

Or maybe the El em ay oh

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

el nino grande!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

how do you say 'man child' in spanish? like not just the translation but like, is there a comparable idiom?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

We need to make it more inclusive. El Niñx is better branding.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

I think it’s just some chem barrels going for a swim not any actual (detected) leak.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ultimateforce posted:

It's over now, everything is safe and clean, nothing else to worry about

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Microplastics posted:

oh snap!

England not prepared for climate change impact

oops. that number again: zero. zero targets

I love that when someone says the government should do something the government can just say "yeah we'll factor that in" (into the bin) and that's that

anyway i'm looking forward to that NAP

:pathetic:

pffft whatever

WAIT WHAT *grabs article by the lapels* WHAT DO YOU MEAN "INTERNET AT RISK"

:negative: but my anime torrents

Storm Arwen? lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ultimateforce posted:

why are you bringing up russian disinformation?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Egg Moron posted:

:hmmyes:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

ultimateforce posted:

The what now? We're already moving on to the next one

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1641014090368704514

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Koirhor posted:

El Cabron

The return of El Carbon having impacts sooner than expected

kater posted:

I think it’s just some chem barrels going for a swim not any actual (detected) leak.

Was it this thread or some other where a pa chem spill caused the municipal system to shut down, then all bottled water in town to sell out, but then the bottles were all recalled because they had toxic levels of dioxin from being filled too close to Palestine

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
73 million acres :toot:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1641119107696455680

err has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Mar 30, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im always shocked that all the gulf/alaska hasnt been sold by now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

how else are we gonna get the energy we need to fully decarbonize by 2030??

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hubbert posted:

don't worry, doomers

That's okay, I didn't want to go outside this summer anyway. There's mostly no economic activity there.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
No new drilling!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

No new drilling!

the joke that keeps on giving

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EBBqbeqIM

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/yupthtexists/status/1641102217884098561?t=_Sox2u2g-HWUIrDQwRPv9g&s=19

Doomers proven wrong again. Trees 2 just released.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

oh good, some tech bros got 80 million to create neglected aquariums

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

and for some reason it takes longer than usual to get to Tree 3

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
humans hate trees so god drat much. that poo poo green tank doesn’t provide shade, it doesn’t evapotranspirate any moisture into the atmosphere, and it definitely costs way more carbon to make a huge pane of glass and all the plastic and installation than it could ever hope to pull out of the air. it’s like every single “savior” technology that has been farted out by gaggles of coked up VC suckling stooges: an expensive non-solution to the problem of “how do we spend poo poo loads of money on a thing that already exists and is free?”. just plant a loving tree for christs sake. I can’t wait until Elon musk lobbies every city to buy thousands eTrees from him, cutting down real trees to be replaced, and then they all just smell like sewage and leak poo poo water all over everyone.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

does the tree2 like CO2 as much as tree1?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

I can’t wait until Elon musk lobbies every city to buy thousands eTrees from him, cutting down real trees to be replaced, and then they all just smell like sewage and leak poo poo water all over everyone.
good news! like every single greentech/climatetech startup whatever, it's just a stupid photo-op of a prototype that doesn't even really exist and then gets hyped up in the media-sphere for dumbest libs to smooth over their brains pretending capital is saving us. not a single one will actually get installed anywhere

seriously if we could remove a kg of co2 for every stupid greentech startup poo poo that's been hyped up, we'd have cured climate change by now.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
Once the algae fills its available space or uses the available nutrients wouldn't it reach equilibrium? Trees sequester carbon by turning it into more tree. Do they do water changes so it can keep growing?

e: This is exactly what they do. I'm sure it's carbon neutral to haul in fortified fresh water and haul out swamp water (to decompose and release the carbon elsewhere).

Dr. Furious has issued a correction as of 10:28 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

tree 3.0 is going [to be] great!