Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

sorry everyone, all public services had to close so Europe can defend against all the enemies it chose to make because it can't accept the end of history didn't actually happen

Like FF has pointed out: European nations in the past were perfectly capable of using the power of the state to amass military forces that seem ludicrously over the top by contemporary standards: enormous armies that most military aged men participated in; navies with hundreds of warships; artillery pieces knocked out by the thousand; artillery shells by the million. All they seem capable of today is outsourcing and grift: any sort of national mobilisation isn't seen as unnecessary so much as it's literally unthinkable to the current ruling class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

gradenko_2000 posted:

The loving guardian shoveling this horseshit

Snyder provides important intellectual cover for modern Guardian reading Liberals to engage in the same tired Cold War rhetoric their parents shovelled.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm going to write a very intellectual book on how billionaires snaffling all the loot for themselves is actually extremely cool, and good, and necessary for the continuation of society.

I'll be a well-paid talking head who gets to go to Davos with the big boys in no time!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Lol Sweden yet again proves itself to be the dumbest by participating in the grift but just barely

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i think Sweden is earnest about it and thinks it's actually doing good

which is really tragic because their arms industry is going to be destroyed because they think daddy America is actually trying to save the world and 'international rules based order'

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah swedes are just stupid

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i don't have any sympathy for anyone that lived through covid and the western response and still has faith in any system

we all saw behind the curtain, it was bad

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

:agreed:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

fanfic insert posted:

we have terminal libbrain

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Regarde Aduck posted:

which is really tragic because their arms industry is going to be destroyed because they think daddy America is actually trying to save the world and 'international rules based order'

yeah, those frosty, awkward, well-meaning nerds are going to spill their lingonberry juice all over theyself for trying to get involved in warball

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Can you just go to Sweden and just sell magic healing crystals on the street? It seems like a place it still would be possible.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Can you just go to Sweden and just sell magic healing crystals on the street? It seems like a place it still would be possible.

too cold and dark, everyone is trapped inside under their sun lamps to keep from dying like metroid prime 2

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Megamissen posted:

we have terminal libbrain

In the most complacent and naïve way, as well as being obsessed with the national image but also desperate to be like the US for some reason

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Chillgamesh posted:

too cold and dark, everyone is trapped inside under their sun lamps to keep from dying like metroid prime 2

thats the angle to use while selling your crystals

"each crystal contains the vitamin e producing potential of 10000 sons, but only the righteous swede, who follows every rule and never makes eye contact with strangers, can unlock its true potential"

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
wholesome crystals don’t belong in a country where people don’t feed their guests

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

xiaoren posted:

In the most complacent and naïve way, as well as being obsessed with the national image but also desperate to be like the US for some reason

nordics embrace liberalism with an unparalleled naivety and sincerity, more thoroughly than even the anglos, because our ruling classes of yore deliberately positioned our countries as parasites in the Capital ecosystem. the nordic ways of life can only exist in that relation, so it must be good.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

It's not really related to a real current Russian desire for polish clay or anything. It's mostly just that a credible defense is a way to secure independent action for a state. One should also plan defences based on the capabilities of your likely opponents, not based on current politics as those can change much faster than your defense capabilities. Something which Europe, sans Russia, willfully ignored up until 2014.
This still does jack poo poo if you can't produce an army large enough to deter the aggressor.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's good that the inhospitable nord is deprived of arms

(i assume the US is going to do what they did to australia and just promise four f-35s to be delivered in a decade for $600B)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

xiaoren posted:

sweden is the only country i've ever been to where people genuinely get completely baffled when people start blatantly breaking the rules. elsewhere you might get mad, or disappointed or a bit shocked, but the swede gets this blank look of disbelief and it usually takes a few minutes for them to process what just happened

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crepeface posted:

it's good that the inhospitable nord is deprived of arms

(i assume the US is going to do what they did to australia and just promise four f-35s to be delivered in a decade for $600B)

oh yeah when taken in isolation it's boo hoo one less arms company oh dear, but taken as part of the US moving onto the cannibalization part of hegemony it sucks for millions of people and on a emotional basis its just loving annoying to see people get so easily hoodwinked

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this conflict is really putting ww2 in a new light for me (the scope of the conflict in the east)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Turtle Watch posted:

wholesome crystals don’t belong in a country where people don’t feed their guests

there simply isn’t enough lingonberry juice for everyone :shrug:

maybe you could eat something at home?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Comrade Koba posted:

there simply isn’t enough lingonberry juice for everyone :shrug:

maybe you could eat something at home?

But please sit with your head down in the corner until we're finished.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
starting to think i got the wrong idea about the swedes and they're actually some kind of cryptid

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Btw, I wouldn't minimize the death camps too much, 2.7 million people still died in them, it was just they were simply one compotent of how the holocaust evolved. But It is accepted by most historians than there had to be some level of cooperation with everyday Poles (as well much of the Baltic states/Western Ukraine etc) for the holocaust to occur. Usually, the fig leaf on the Polish side is there wasn't as much official collaboration as far as Poles joining the SS but arguably some of that is just the nature of the General Government and the fact that Poland itself was planned to be erased from existence.

Do you mean all the camps including concentration camps and slave labour camps, or just the half a dozen death camps?

fanfic insert posted:

They're named after a variety of turnip.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Do you mean all the camps including concentration camps and slave labour camps, or just the half a dozen death camps?

Those are the numbers for the main 6 death camps.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

This still does jack poo poo if you can't produce an army large enough to deter the aggressor.

Which is why it's of little use for Estonia which realistically needs defence commitment from larger countries along with tripwire forces from said partners. But it is more useful for Poland which has a population similar to Ukraine and which has a decent chance of resisting successfully. And as you said, you really only need an army large enough to deter an agressor from bothering to militarily interfere with your state. If your country is not worth controlling for their resources (polish clay!) or industry (for Poland, kinda meh) the barrier of realistic deterrence is probably not as high as if you would produce on 90% the world's fossil fuels.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Diplomatic options slowly closing.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1641336759991558146

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Its over Hungary approving Finland's NATO entry.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be abbreviation of Ros(siya) the name of the russian state in russian, while abbreviation for the word state is Gos(udarstvo).

Ros is usually Российской Федерации, i.e. "of the Russian Federation", i.e. "Guard of the Russian Federation".

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can confirm. Had lunch with someone working in the Swedish government the other day and one reason many people were eager to join NATO is because they think it will open up the market for the Swedish arms industry. Everyone here is adorably naive when it comes to the US.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hedenius posted:

Can confirm. Had lunch with someone working in the Swedish government the other day and one reason many people were eager to join NATO is because they think it will open up the market for the Swedish arms industry. Everyone here is adorably naive when it comes to the US.

lol have they seen what happened to everyone else?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

lol have they seen what happened to everyone else?

no, they've resolved to cut out their eyes

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well they weren't as #successwin as the nordic countries.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hedenius posted:

o_O

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Why the hell would they think such a thing?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/aborealis940/status/1641463708525240322

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Also, lmao at it being a jobs program and not a life and death matter of national defense to stave off an invasion by the Asiatic hordes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Am I wrong in remembering that Sweden joining NATO was discussed as something which had to happen RIGHT NOW because the Russian hordes were literally massing for an invasion and unless Sweden was made a full NATO member Vladimir Putin would be feeding his horse oats from the altar of Stockholm Cathedral by the weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The reason you give to the public, and the reason you give to yourself don't have to be the same. What's funny here though is that it's a lie either way.