Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I知 looking for a game to play while listening to audiobooks. I知 not much of a truck/racer type so euro truck is doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xeras posted:

I知 looking for a game to play while listening to audiobooks. I知 not much of a truck/racer type so euro truck is doubtful.

Diablolikes like Titan Quest and PoE are really good for that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for a game to play while listening to audiobooks. I’m not much of a truck/racer type so euro truck is doubtful.

Management/Sim games like OOTP or Football Simulator are my go to for this. A new OOTP just came out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Metal Gear Solid
1 was pretty in-theme as plot twists go, 2 was the real bullshit, I seethed so much about it that the series still hasn't moved from my backlog.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's Superliminal. [...] It's vaguely similar to Antichamber
Aaand wishlisted. Loved Antichamber, would appreciate more games like it wrt playing with space.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pierzak posted:

1 was pretty in-theme as plot twists go, 2 was the real bullshit, I seethed so much about it that the series still hasn't moved from my backlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8Ceu6Mwjs

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Xeras posted:

Delta V: Rings of Saturn is a great audiobook game for me. Pretty chill game about mining in the Saturn's rings. It's a top down 2d game with realistic physics. Break ice chunks and hoover up the good metals inside.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MGS2 had a lot of twists in depth, so you'll probably have to be more specific about which one you thought was bullshit.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mgs2 is god tier

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kojima has written a lot of clunky poo poo, but holding a mirror up to the player by making their character a whiny goon that desperately wanted to be Solid Snake but had only played as him in simulations is one of the best tricks he's ever pulled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Left 4 Dead 2 still has some of the best shooting in any FPS I've played. Enemies don't simply ragdoll, they react to being shot in various ways depending on where you hit them. It's gorey but feels more grounded than something over-the-top like Doom. What are some modern FPSes that do this kind of thing?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I'm looking for something but it's something specific that isn't easy to explain.

So I'm finishing up Octopath. My favorite thing about Octopath is that you can just take a sharp left from your destination, find a dungeon, explore it and get amply rewarded. I like that Octopath will absolutely let you get into trouble and go places you shouldn't. Too many open world games just feel like a bunch of checkmarks or bullshit collectible hunts.

Elden Ring did this too. As did Skyrim. (Well, more the former than the latter. Morrowind was better for the latter)

Any suggestions on other games that give you this experience? Bonus points if it's a game where I have to gear up multiple characters.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 29, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok I'm looking for something but it's something specific that isn't easy to explain.

So I'm finishing up Octopath. My favorite thing about Octopath is that you can just take a sharp left from your destination, find a dungeon, explore it and get amply rewarded. I like that Octopath will absolutely let you get into trouble and go places you shouldn't. Too many open world games just feel like a bunch of checkmarks or bullshit collectible hunts.

Elden Ring did this too. As did Skyrim.

Any suggestions on other games that give you this experience? Bonus points if it's a game where I have to gear up multiple characters.

This is probably my favourite aspect of open world games (not that Otctopath is really open world but you know what I mean) as well. I'd say most older Western RPGs offer something like this, especially if the likes of Octopath count.

Standouts I would suggest are Morrowind, any of the Might and Magic games but 3 - 7 especially, and Piranha Bytes games, the best being Gothic, Gothic 2 and Risen but Elex is more modern and is still pretty solid.

Dragon's Dogma is also good for this early game although it runs out of new locations pretty early.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My experience playing Gothic 2 felt very not that. Gothic 2 felt like it put me in a tiny corner of a big world and told me to find the one thing I could do that wouldn't kill me to get more powerful. Over and over again. It was so constricting it started to make the game feel linear.

I've always looked at Elex but my understand was that it's very similar in that regard.

(I loved Dragon's Dogma even though it felt like half a game sometimes. Also I love the Might and Magic series. EA missed the point when they made 10).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 29, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sort of, Gothic 2 wants you to sneak or run through high level areas in order to get overpowered poo poo. It also hides a ton of loot everywhere around corners, behind trees, on ledges, etc. Or cheesing enemies by abusing geometry. Granted that's present, but not the focus of the other games you mentioned.

Having a tough time thinking of games like that with party management, unfortunately.

E: King's Bounty: Armoured Princess does this, if you're ok with turn-based combat. There's a ton of King's Bounty games, Armoured Princess is the first three consolidated into one.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 29, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

My experience playing Gothic 2 felt very not that. Gothic 2 felt like it put me in a tiny corner of a big world and told me to find the one thing I could do that wouldn't kill me to get more powerful. Over and over again. It was so constricting it started to make the game feel linear.

I've always looked at Elex but my understand was that it's very similar in that regard.

(I loved Dragon's Dogma even though it felt like half a game sometimes. Also I love the Might and Magic series. EA missed the point when they made 10).

I can see why it felt like that, part of my enjoyment is sneaking past / running like hell past stuff I should be avoiding in areas I have no business in, but it definitely makes it difficult. Divinity Original Sin is one that absolutely gave me the feeling you're describing because the turn based combat made it difficult to actually run/sneak past things and power was so level dependent that you really did have to be killing everything.

Elex is a lot more lenient for whatever it's worth and you can cheese a lot of stuff more easily with the surprisingly powerful ranged weapons

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Famously, Fallout New Vegas. Breath of the Wild.

I feel like while you scorn the idea of collectibles and checkmarks, those are going to be the ones calibrated towards giving you something for random exploration. Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey have some of that. Maybe an extra skill point or some trash gear from exploring a random ancient tomb might not be intrinsically interesting to you, but I never found anything worthwhile at the end of any random Elden Ring dungeon either.

Chamale posted:

Left 4 Dead 2 still has some of the best shooting in any FPS I've played. Enemies don't simply ragdoll, they react to being shot in various ways depending on where you hit them. It's gorey but feels more grounded than something over-the-top like Doom. What are some modern FPSes that do this kind of thing?

I feel like a lot of games have this, but it's seldom actually relevant. The most I can think of are the games where you can target various weakpoints, like in Mass Effect there 's often enemies with gas tanks to explode or Resident Evil 4 where you have to target parasites when they pop out of the zombies' bodies. Horizon Zero Dawn is entirely built on targeting various points on robots to either hit a weakpoint, knock off armor or various crafting fodder, or to eliminate your enemy's functionality, but no ragdolling.

I wanna say maybe Control has something like that, but I don't really remember. I imagine a lot of zombie games probably have features where you can partially disable enemies who will still try to keep fighting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ChrisBTY posted:

Elden Ring did this too. As did Skyrim. (Well, more the former than the latter. Morrowind was better for the latter)

Crystal Path does this fairly well until midgame where they start locking access to areas behind how many crystals you've found.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is a RTwP game where you get a boat after the tutorial island and can sail to any island you want. Most places will kill you if you wander off the main path before getting enough levels, but you can sail anywhere you want.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 29, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might also check out the Avernum games, especially 1 and 3 (2 does this as well, but only once you hit midgame). You can go just about anywhere out the gate, so long as you don't mind your face getting stoved in. Though they're generally pretty good about increasing threat as you get further from the starting area.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Dragons Dogma. it's a bit dated graphics-wise but imo still one of the best open world fantasy games ever made. the world is wide open once you get out of the starting area, and you do control multiple characters, with a weird little gimmick where you make one main character and one or two side characters called "pawns", which are in your party but can also be sort of leased out to other players (and you can hire ones made by other people).

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Binary Domain had an amazing aesthetic when you shot the terminator robots - it was so satisfying to take them apart with bullets and they would keep coming at you with whatever limbs they had left.

Plus it痴 made by the Yakuza team so the game is bonkers too (and by that I mean charming).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like a lot of games have this, but it's seldom actually relevant. The most I can think of are the games where you can target various weakpoints, like in Mass Effect there 's often enemies with gas tanks to explode or Resident Evil 4 where you have to target parasites when they pop out of the zombies' bodies. Horizon Zero Dawn is entirely built on targeting various points on robots to either hit a weakpoint, knock off armor or various crafting fodder, or to eliminate your enemy's functionality, but no ragdolling.

I wanna say maybe Control has something like that, but I don't really remember. I imagine a lot of zombie games probably have features where you can partially disable enemies who will still try to keep fighting.

I'm not exactly looking for it to be relevant, I just want it to be done well, and that seems to be rare. I don't like it when I shoot an enemy and it goes flying like a cartoon character, or when it simply drops to the ground and disappears. Left 4 Dead 2 does it well, the Far Cry series and Fallout 4 also do it pretty well to an extent.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ChrisBTY posted:

Heroines of Swords & Spells does this very well.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Elex is a lot more lenient for whatever it's worth and you can cheese a lot of stuff more easily with the surprisingly powerful ranged weapons

Right now Elex is free with PS+ extra (which I usually don't use so I'd basically be renting it for a month for 14.99) and Elex 2 is 50% off on the PS store (so 25-30$). Which one do you think is better?
I think part of my problem with Gothic 2 is that I couldn't figure out how to get a controller to work with it at the time which made it even harder than it usually would be.

Fruits of the sea posted:

E: King's Bounty: Armoured Princess does this, if you're ok with turn-based combat. There's a ton of King's Bounty games, Armoured Princess is the first three consolidated into one.

Absolutely adore the King's Bounty series for this exact reason and Armored Princess is by far the best of them. I even loved the original Commodore/Genesis game where ideally I would jump into a ship and not get into a single fight until I unlocked the last map. King's Bounty II felt like a misguided attempt to move away from this sort of thing, which wasn't good.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Famously, Fallout New Vegas. Breath of the Wild.

I feel like while you scorn the idea of collectibles and checkmarks, those are going to be the ones calibrated towards giving you something for random exploration. Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey have some of that. Maybe an extra skill point or some trash gear from exploring a random ancient tomb might not be intrinsically interesting to you, but I never found anything worthwhile at the end of any random Elden Ring dungeon either.

Played of these games except for Origins, love all of them. New Vegas filled the niche nicely in particular.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might also check out the Avernum games, especially 1 and 3 (2 does this as well, but only once you hit midgame). You can go just about anywhere out the gate, so long as you don't mind your face getting stoved in. Though they're generally pretty good about increasing threat as you get further from the starting area.

I remember not quite vibing with Avernum 1 when I played it many years ago but I'll keep it in mind.

LLSix posted:

Crystal Path does this fairly well until midgame where they start locking access to areas behind how many crystals you've found.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is a RTwP game where you get a boat after the tutorial island and can sail to any island you want. Most places will kill you if you wander off the main path before getting enough levels, but you can sail anywhere you want.

I looked at the trailer for Crystal Path and I don't think that style of gameplay is for me.
I've played through Pillars, but unfortunately the exploration was slightly Sanitized by being unable to sneak/run past encounters.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 29, 2023

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Elex was good if you can get through the first little bit. Getting to the clerics and joining that faction was cool.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Haven't actually played 2 yet but I think it's essentially more of the same (I mean they've been making the same game for 20+ years so it's a safe bet, but you know)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

Breath of the Wild.

The best part of BotW is that if you get bored with it, you can just cook a ton of largemouth bass and brute force your way through the final dungeon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Haven't actually played 2 yet but I think it's essentially more of the same (I mean they've been making the same game for 20+ years so it's a safe bet, but you know)
2's endgame is somehow even more boring than 1's. But yeah, if you like Piranha Bytes' schtick, it's still fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shine posted:

The best part of BotW is that if you get bored with it, you can just cook a ton of largemouth bass and brute force your way through the final dungeon.

stamina potions and food were so stupidly broken because the game makes it seem like you have to choose between health or stamina when turning in shrine rewards, but in reality you should just always pick health to get the master sword ASAP and constantly stuff your face with potions and meals that boost/replenish stamina

I wonder if you're allowed to then convert all those health upgrades to stamina upgrades at the rock that lets you respec those two meters and still use the master sword. then you can just turn them all into stamina boosts and eat hearty bass/turnip meals for the rest of the game

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
I'd like to build beautiful buildings. One of my favorite early gaming experiences was building houses in The Sims. Is there something similar I can use that's not Minecraft or a professional 3D rendering tool that I'd have to buy a new laptop for and then study for months?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

House Flipper is probably going to be your jam. Especially if what you care about is interiors. Maybe Bear and Breakfast or Two Point Hospital. Maybe Oxygen Not Included if you want to deal with more questions of getting designs to function.

If you wanna build entire houses from the ground up, I don't know what would work other than Minecraft with mods. I know there's tons of survival games that have building mechanics like Seven Days to Die or Rust, but I think most of them aren't great for creating entire realistic houses and lack nuance. Not a lot of pieces to work with.

But if all you really want to is just to aesthetically conceptualize houses and buildings, you could try to take up sketching or use the free BrickLink Studio program to play with Lego. Although sometimes that can have performance issues, I'm not really sure what the technical requirements are.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Evig Vandrar posted:

I'd like to build beautiful buildings. One of my favorite early gaming experiences was building houses in The Sims. Is there something similar I can use that's not Minecraft or a professional 3D rendering tool that I'd have to buy a new laptop for and then study for months?

You might check out Townscaper, which is a chill little game about building classy Venice-style cities

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Townscaper is great.

It's a whole thing with survival gameplay and rudimentary combat but Valheim has some of the most absorbing and interesting building mechanics in any game I've tried. Got to keep the building materials and load-bearing elements in mind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Load-bearing drywall?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hometopia WAS going to be perfect for this, but then they pivoted hard into crypto and i've never been so devastated

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Evig Vandrar posted:

Honestly The Sims 4 is still the best game in existence for the house building/interior decorating itch. Actually Sims 3 might still be better if you can stand the obscene loading times.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Evig Vandrar posted:

Probably not what you're looking for but the building in Satisfactory is very freeform and extremely... satisfying. The automation/management side of things is top notch, but in the end I've spent more time creating and beautifying buildings in it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking for a strategy game that isn't Crusader Kings 3 but kind of has the character-level detail that CK3 has. I've tried Stellaris and EU4 and HOI4 and a couple of others but all of those games deal with nations and empires and state-level abstract events rather than individuals and it's just not as fun as 'being' a specific character and the events revolving around what your actual king decides to do (or have done to him). Does any other strategy game have that kind of personality or is Crusader Kings still pretty unique?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pierson posted:

I'm looking for a strategy game that isn't Crusader Kings 3 but kind of has the character-level detail that CK3 has. I've tried Stellaris and EU4 and HOI4 and a couple of others but all of those games deal with nations and empires and state-level abstract events rather than individuals and it's just not as fun as 'being' a specific character and the events revolving around what your actual king decides to do (or have done to him). Does any other strategy game have that kind of personality or is Crusader Kings still pretty unique?

there's a new one called Old World that advertises this as one of the major parts of the game, but i havent tried it yet. reviews seem mostly ok. its by the same company that did Endless Space and Endless Legend, both of which i liked for the most part, but this one seems more like they are trying to do Civilization crossed with Crusader Kings.
also the Total War games have this aspect as well. maybe not as much as Crusader Kings but it's definitely gotten deeper over the years, i've been playing Three Kingdoms lately and the sense of playing a character as opposed to a nation is fairly present, especially now that the "hero" characters fight duels etc in the real time battles, and you manage the skills of individual leaders, strategists, and generals.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 1, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Evig Vandrar posted:

As mentioned, Sims 3 and 4 are still some of the better options for creative house-building, despite all the negatives that come with the series (particularly the latest installments). Sims 4 is a DLC nightmare and Sims 3 is very janky, plus a lot of the custom content that gave S3 most of its variety has since gone offline or is a real bitch to find, but there's still ways to have fun with the building system, even considering its limitations. Here's a creator that shows how bugfuck wild you can get with S4's build mode, after applying a couple of cheatcodes (and a mod, I think?). Keep in mind that a lot of these extra additions wouldn't really be functional in-game, so they mostly function as set dressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWbHVyxAFVA

A series that touts a pretty beefy free-build mode is Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. I haven't played it yet, but from what I gather, outside of the purely structural or functional items, practically everything you build serves no purpose beyond decoration, and you're given relative freedom in how you can dress-up the bits that actually do something in the game (like cubicle-shaped vendor stalls). This guy on YT has a few videos showing how you can also have a kind of modular approach in Planet Zoo, piecing together structures from smaller parts and then using them as building blocks. Not sure how much of this is basegame, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9x9BndMD9Q

For something larger in scale, there's Cities: Skylines, which allows you to customize a lot of the assets and have near-total control on the visuals of your village/town/city. However, from what I gather, that requires an asset editor, quite a few modpacks and a number of mods if you want your customized city to have any level of in-game functionality. I have the game, but I haven't really tinkered with that creative side since the learning curve appears to be pretty steep. Still, here's a video that shows how granular you can get with it once you're familiar with the editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARkblfcjsrw

There's also plenty of survival games that have base building mechanics with varying degrees of creative freedom. Off the top of my head, Ark: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles and Valheim let you build your base from basic structural blocks. You can search for building tutorials for each of these games to see how much freedom they provide, I think some are more restricted than others when it comes to shapes, sizes and styles.

Lastly, I know you said no Minecraft, but Vintage Story is a minecraft-like (made by former MC modders) that includes some mechanics that fit quite nicely with architecturally-minded players, such as a micro-chiseling system that allows you to sculpt pretty much any shape, which when paired with a few QoL mods can be a great combo for trying out building ideas. Here's a few shots from my old base, most of it manually sculpted, from a server that's pretty lightly modded (vanilla VS is much easier to mod than MC, anyway):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SexyBlindfold posted:

A series that touts a pretty beefy free-build mode is Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. I haven't played it yet, but from what I gather, outside of the purely structural or functional items, practically everything you build serves no purpose beyond decoration, and you're given relative freedom in how you can dress-up the bits that actually do something in the game (like cubicle-shaped vendor stalls). This guy on YT has a few videos showing how you can also have a kind of modular approach in Planet Zoo, piecing together structures from smaller parts and then using them as building blocks. Not sure how much of this is basegame, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9x9BndMD9Q

DLC gives you a lot more decorative elements to play with in Planet Zoo (and I assume Coaster as well, I've only played Zoo) but you could do that whole video in the base game if you were willing to compromise a bit on some of the decorations. It has a lot of free-building power, as some of those Youtubers show off. It's also very difficult to do stuff that complex, I find myself fighting with the interface when trying to make it do exactly what I want (things snap into place when you don't want them to and don't snap into place when you do, that sort of thing) and I found myself sometimes having to delete and redo stuff if I didn't plan ahead well or do certain things in the correct order.