Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Reformat posted:

i do like the point at the end that all this "what is art? when does a tool destroy art's soul?" discussions irrelevant compared to the class implications, tho, lol

the real creepy stuff with big implications is always less fun to talk about generally, but i liked this article just for general thoughts on what we already know sucks about big tech wundertoys and western chauvinism:

https://twitter.com/babiejenks/status/1640128972800557056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Only the type of art that I Specifically Do is real art, everything else is clearly varying shades of [fill in appropriate reason it's not art here]

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

pigz posted:

Photography, video etc are not limited by this. Point a camera at a dog and you get a dog back.

"Ceci n'est pas un chien"

a photo of a dog isn't a dog, nor does a photo of a dog resemble what a human eye at the same spot perceived. there are many choices that a photographer makes in capturing and developing an image: instrument, lens, aperture, exposure, iso, film type, exposure length, distance from subject, additional lighting, composition, crop, focus, etc etc etc

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

projecthalaxy posted:

Nobody in the replies mentioned it and I dont have twitter but I do kinda wonder what beany would say about works by Mondrian or Rothko or say fractal art that is, by any sane definition "real human visual art" but can also be recreated in a few sentences of stripe instructions or one equation.

Regardless of how formulaic those works appear, they were the product of human intentionality before the tools to create such a work through formula existed. I'm not sure how the computer's ability to reproduce those works could be compared to the ability to conceive of them, or how the ability to recreate them reduces in any way the artistic merit of the original creation.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

Only the type of art that I Specifically Do is real art, everything else is clearly varying shades of [fill in appropriate reason it's not art here]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I think people on both sides of the debate get caught up in the dichotomy of whether it should or should not be considered Real Art when the point they're trying to argue is that it will be either a net positive or net negative for society, which means even if it is unanimously agreed to be art, its impacts are a whole other question altogether and should be examined as such.

"It'll be such a good tool for artists" is a weird one because artists are the people who can already make these things. The only benefit is economical and therefore the only people who will benefit are the ones oriented on cutting costs and maximizing profits, and these concerns are more corporate than artistic.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

pigz posted:

Photography, video etc are not limited by this. Point a camera at a dog and you get a dog back.

I agree with you as far as subject, but I think the art and skill in photography and videography is how you capture the subject in the medium. Different photographers can photograph the same dog completely differently. Though, I also remember photographers pointing out that the proliferation of cameraphones has killed appreciation for the art because, for many people, dog in photo = good enough. I think somebody linked an interesting article about that either here or in the Doomsday Econ thread. Probably filters are a part of the dilution of that art form as well.

I'm a piss poor photographer so I couldn't tell you how to use different lenses, aperture, focus and film to make art, but I understand that people do.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
If I want to make an indie game, the ability to generate sprites and backgrounds seems very appealing. Maybe I can't claim ownership over those assets specifically, but I don't care about that, it's the game on the whole I want to publish.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

webcams for christ posted:

"Ceci n'est pas un chien"

a photo of a dog isn't a dog, nor does a photo of a dog resemble what a human eye at the same spot perceived. there are many choices that a photographer makes in capturing and developing an image: instrument, lens, aperture, exposure, iso, film type, exposure length, distance from subject, additional lighting, composition, crop, focus, etc etc etc

Frosted Flake posted:

I agree with you as far as subject, but I think the art and skill in photography and videography is how you capture the subject in the medium. Different photographers can photograph the same dog completely differently. Though, I also remember photographers pointing out that the proliferation of cameraphones has killed appreciation for the art because, for many people, dog in photo = good enough. I think somebody linked an interesting article about that either here or in the Doomsday Econ thread. Probably filters are a part of the dilution of that art form as well.

I'm a piss poor photographer so I couldn't tell you how to use different lenses, aperture, focus and film to make art, but I understand that people do.

Completely agree with both of you. I wasn't suggesting photography isn't art or skillful, only speaking to the limited nature of prompting. Prompts have to agree with the curation of the content and tags used during training or you're going to have a hard time getting what you want.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Reformat posted:

If I want to make an indie game, the ability to generate sprites and backgrounds seems very appealing. Maybe I can't claim ownership over those assets specifically, but I don't care about that, it's the game on the whole I want to publish.

:same:

I'm like, semi-creative in that I've never built a habit or craft, but like to dabble, as a dabbler and someone who likes to generate "bulk" of stuff to work with and move around and collage, I really like AI tools, both text and image. I don't think they'll be indispensable tools for real artists who create original images, but they're awesome tools for dabblers who make shitposts or do little projects

also I'm deathly curious to read a longer form comparison to generating works in this manner and hip hop music production, like sampling and the general structure/transformation

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

musical sampling like you hear in hip hop or electronic music is more analogous to actual Collage (in the literal sense, not metaphorical) than an AI image output imo

a musical producer goes crate digging for deep cuts and very consciously chooses a record, selects a very deliberate section, and replays the audio at a specific speed

an algorithmically produced composite contains arbitrary fragments that are not being consciously selected, but are rather the likeliest fit to a probabilistic model

e: I'll also plug one of my favorite sound collages: Reich's It's Gonna Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsd50gJo5q4

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Mar 28, 2023

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
eliezer yudkowsky, who has dedicated his life to being scared of AI, wrote an article https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/

quote:

The moratorium on new large training runs needs to be indefinite and worldwide. There can be no exceptions, including for governments or militaries. If the policy starts with the U.S., then China needs to see that the U.S. is not seeking an advantage but rather trying to prevent a horrifically dangerous technology which can have no true owner and which will kill everyone in the U.S. and in China and on Earth. If I had infinite freedom to write laws, I might carve out a single exception for AIs being trained solely to solve problems in biology and biotechnology, not trained on text from the internet, and not to the level where they start talking or planning; but if that was remotely complicating the issue I would immediately jettison that proposal and say to just shut it all down.

Shut down all the large GPU clusters (the large computer farms where the most powerful AIs are refined). Shut down all the large training runs. Put a ceiling on how much computing power anyone is allowed to use in training an AI system, and move it downward over the coming years to compensate for more efficient training algorithms. No exceptions for governments and militaries. Make immediate multinational agreements to prevent the prohibited activities from moving elsewhere. Track all GPUs sold. If intelligence says that a country outside the agreement is building a GPU cluster, be less scared of a shooting conflict between nations than of the moratorium being violated; be willing to destroy a rogue datacenter by airstrike.

Frame nothing as a conflict between national interests, have it clear that anyone talking of arms races is a fool. That we all live or die as one, in this, is not a policy but a fact of nature. Make it explicit in international diplomacy that preventing AI extinction scenarios is considered a priority above preventing a full nuclear exchange, and that allied nuclear countries are willing to run some risk of nuclear exchange if that’s what it takes to reduce the risk of large AI training runs.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
build the torment nexus, I say

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Malloc Voidstar posted:

eliezer yudkowsky, who has dedicated his life to being scared of AI, wrote an article https://time.com/6266923/ai-eliezer-yudkowsky-open-letter-not-enough/

It's the scheme to unify the world through a common enemy, like Ozymandias in Watchmen. Except the alien tentacle monster is Microsoft Bing.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

It's the scheme to unify the world through a common enemy, like Ozymandias in Watchmen. Except the alien tentacle monster is Microsoft Bing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Photography is less art than AI art imo.

Promptsmiths are doing more creative work than simple cameradonkeys

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That comic is dumb, the central argument is that if you describe it it's not art.

Also that second chunk where it shows the guys imagination directly becoming art, that's not how that works at all either.
Pretty regularly what you were imagining becomes completely diff by the time it's on the page, the comic is implying a major feature of "real art" is that it doesn't

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

musical sampling like you hear in hip hop or electronic music is more analogous to actual Collage (in the literal sense, not metaphorical) than an AI image output imo

a musical producer goes crate digging for deep cuts and very consciously chooses a record, selects a very deliberate section, and replays the audio at a specific speed

an algorithmically produced composite contains arbitrary fragments that are not being consciously selected, but are rather the likeliest fit to a probabilistic model

e: I'll also plug one of my favorite sound collages: Reich's It's Gonna Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsd50gJo5q4

I think that poo poo tier rappers springboarding to fame off the artists whose work they ripped off are worse than any AI ever could be.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

the art part of photography is deciding when and where to take the shot. that's why a photographer lying camouflaged in a forest pissing his pants to get the perfect shot of an animal is making art and a deer camera isn't: the artistic element emerges from a perception-action cycle that machines don't engage in--and that's the whole point of machines. promptsmiths are making art for the same reason.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Malloc Voidstar posted:

My favorite part of the Yudkowsky faction is they are very insistent that they are very rational smart unlike the xtians, but they're also scared of being tortured in hell for their sins, so they invented roko,'s basilisk to solve this problem

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

I think that poo poo tier rappers springboarding to fame off the artists whose work they ripped off are worse than any AI ever could be.

I agree that poo poo Tier art in one medium is shittier than mediocre art in another medium. bit of a tautology though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the only rule of art is: break all the rules

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Communist Thoughts posted:

Considering the great potential AI has to "democratize" art, they're freely sharing the prompt formulas for anyone to get better at generating images they want, no?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Considering the great potential AI has to "democratize" art, they're freely sharing the prompt formulas for anyone to get better at generating images they want, no?

yeah you can just join the midjourney discord and watch people's prompts come in in real time

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Futanari Damacy posted:

There were some guys trying to sell prompts when this was all really new but they got laughed out of everywhere they went

For the most part everyone shares prompts if you ask.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

BrainDance posted:

There were some guys trying to sell prompts when this was all really new but they got laughed out of everywhere they went

For the most part everyone shares prompts if you ask.

Etsy still has a market for stablediffusion prompts, chatgpt prompts, etc

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

tag yourself I'm "low in stock"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
etsy also has a market for guys that will cast a spell for you to make you win the lottery

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm trying to imagine a world where the first thing someone would try to do is NOT to gatekeep and monetize the part that makes it accessible

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lmao @ "you don't know how to talk to these computers like I do"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
well if they didn't gatekeep it presumably then everyone would win the lottery and you'd only get like $6 bucks for winning

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

🤖 Unlock the power of AI to create stunning artwork! Midjourney Prompts are here! This is a collection of ChatGPT AI Art Prompts organized into categories in a Google Sheet. You can copy and paste the prompts directly from the Google Sheet to your favorite AI Art generator: Midjourney, Dall-E, and more! Get your hands on this database of AI art prompts today!

💠💠This is the biggest collection of ready-to-go Midjourney prompts on the internet!

💠💠40 Distinct Genres and Movements of art include:
✔️Abstract art
✔️Abstract expressionism
✔️Afrofuturism
✔️Art Deco
✔️Art Nouveau
✔️Baroque
✔️Catholic Icon
✔️Cave painting
✔️Concept art
✔️Constructivism
✔️Crystal Cubism
✔️Dada movement
✔️De Stijl
✔️Deconstructivism
✔️Expressionism
✔️Fauvism
✔️Fayum portrait
✔️Folk art
✔️Funk art
✔️Futurism
✔️Gothic art
✔️Hypermodernism
✔️Hyperrealism
✔️Impressionism
✔️Land art
✔️Magic realism
✔️Minimalism
✔️Modernism
✔️Naive art
✔️Neo-romanticism
✔️Neoclassicism
✔️Orphism
✔️Orthodox icon
✔️Panfuturism
✔️Pop art
✔️Post-impressionism
✔️Psychedelic art
✔️Realism
✔️Rennaissance
✔️Surrealism

⏰ Save countless hours of design and iteration
✂️ Copy-Paste Ready
✂️ Copy and paste these prompts into Midjourney and go viral with your artwork!
🔒 1-Time-Payment, (includes Future Updates)

-----

💠💠AI is taking over the world! Experts report that many jobs will be eliminated by AI in the next few years. Artists are on the chopping block, as AI can generate stunning artwork with just a few clicks.

⚡AI can create iterations of art faster than any human. There is just one small problem that few people are talking about. To give the best results, AI models like ChatGPT must be trained. It's not enough just to enter random text and "generate artwork."

To get extraordinary results, you must input the right prompt into the AI engine. You need advanced programming knowledge to know what prompt works best for the right application. The best art requires the best prompts.

That's exactly why we engineered this copy-and-paste bundle of the 500 best prompts to give the very best results from AI engines.

-----

⚠️ATTENTION! Other artists don't want you to discover these exclusive prompts!

You'll be the envy of the artistic community once you get these prompts in your hands. It's as simple as finding the prompt that works for your application and then copy and paste it into the AI engine.

So how does it work?

Simple: After purchase, you will be granted immediate access to the exclusive Google Sheets file containing 500 of the best AI Art prompts.

You'll then simply copy and paste into the AI generator of your choice.

You can choose Midjourney or another AI generator like Dall-e or Playground.

-----

🔽This is a digital product. Product will be available immediately after purchase.
🙋Please reach out with any questions you have

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
more people who can get what they want out of it == more people who will pay money for generation credits if/when you decide to commercialize it

stablediffusion has a searchable database of prompts with attached images for presumably the same reason

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
thank you, Fexyl Business Solutions

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

etsy also has a market for guys that will cast a spell for you to make you win the lottery

While I'm on the site anyway:

Description

LUCKY NUMBERS!!!

ENVISION THE DREAM LIFE!!!

CUSTOMISE THE SPELL TO EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF LIFE!!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

***** PICTURES for PROOF after the ritual is done! PERSONALISED CERTIFICATION after the spell has been performed. Your spell casting will be personalised which means your 'maximum of 12 words' supplied in the personalisation box upon purchasing will be included in the ritual and they will be visible on the proof of pictures! *****

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

WHAT TO EXPECT -
I will present to you your personalised ritual photo on completion and any other additional information the spirits deem necessary!
I will perform your spell within a 9 hour period. Experiencing a subtle shift in your energy vibrations making you feel lucky and confident. The full manifestation will take place after you cultivate and embrace the spell, so please expect a certain level of patience. Nothing will get shipped to your house, so you can purchase without worries.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

NOTE: This purchase is going to offer you 100% satisfaction and I guarantee that you will want to buy a couple of other spells from me after you will feel the true quality of the service. Keep in mind that you purchase a special casting and the appropriate guidance to help you build your own vibration which is necessary for manifesting, so this is a magical tool and you are not buying a guaranteed outcome. If you are in urgent need of money for rent or other important matters, please prioritize that because results are way harder to materialise when there is urgency to it. The manifestation period varies between 24 hours to a maximum of 60 days!

You can also purchase the spell booster options which will strength and accelerate the spells performance!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

DISCLAIMER
Etsy requires me to state that spell works are for entertainment purposes only.
All sales are final and there are no refunds

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

While I'm on the site anyway:

Description

LUCKY NUMBERS!!!

ENVISION THE DREAM LIFE!!!

CUSTOMISE THE SPELL TO EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF LIFE!!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

***** PICTURES for PROOF after the ritual is done! PERSONALISED CERTIFICATION after the spell has been performed. Your spell casting will be personalised which means your 'maximum of 12 words' supplied in the personalisation box upon purchasing will be included in the ritual and they will be visible on the proof of pictures! *****

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

WHAT TO EXPECT -
I will present to you your personalised ritual photo on completion and any other additional information the spirits deem necessary!
I will perform your spell within a 9 hour period. Experiencing a subtle shift in your energy vibrations making you feel lucky and confident. The full manifestation will take place after you cultivate and embrace the spell, so please expect a certain level of patience. Nothing will get shipped to your house, so you can purchase without worries.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

NOTE: This purchase is going to offer you 100% satisfaction and I guarantee that you will want to buy a couple of other spells from me after you will feel the true quality of the service. Keep in mind that you purchase a special casting and the appropriate guidance to help you build your own vibration which is necessary for manifesting, so this is a magical tool and you are not buying a guaranteed outcome. If you are in urgent need of money for rent or other important matters, please prioritize that because results are way harder to materialise when there is urgency to it. The manifestation period varies between 24 hours to a maximum of 60 days!

You can also purchase the spell booster options which will strength and accelerate the spells performance!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

DISCLAIMER
Etsy requires me to state that spell works are for entertainment purposes only.
All sales are final and there are no refunds

I love going through these, it's my favorite thing on the site to scroll through the reviews on "I WILL CURE YOUR CANCER THROUGH ZOOM!" or "MANIFEST AN ANGEL TO PROTECT YOU!"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I love going through these, it's my favorite thing on the site to scroll through the reviews on "I WILL CURE YOUR CANCER THROUGH ZOOM!" or "MANIFEST AN ANGEL TO PROTECT YOU!"

*I will sense who your main guardian angel and your helper guardian angel, if you have one. I will also sense what you can call on them for, I will tell you any messages they have for you and I will also tell you any angel numbers that are relevant for your path and their meaning. A recent photo of yourself will help me focus, if that's okay. I will send the reading as an Etsy message and pdf file within 24 hours of purchase.*

if you have one dog im paying 40 bucks for an archangel pdf i better have one

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

*I will sense who your main guardian angel and your helper guardian angel, if you have one. I will also sense what you can call on them for, I will tell you any messages they have for you and I will also tell you any angel numbers that are relevant for your path and their meaning. A recent photo of yourself will help me focus, if that's okay. I will send the reading as an Etsy message and pdf file within 24 hours of purchase.*

if you have one dog im paying 40 bucks for an archangel pdf i better have one

"After hours of meditation and prayer, I have determined you have absolutely no one looking out for you in this world or any other. Good Luck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Futanari Damacy posted:

There’s one subreddit that doesn’t and gets very pissy about it, maybe Stable Diffusion?