Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

They should do a West Marches style D&D TV show with a different cast each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just make a DIE movie

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He's less than five years older than me!? What the absolute gently caress?! I'm not pretty, but I don't look like a starved refugee wizard from a lovely fantasy film.

Lotta hard years living in the Canadian wilderness.

Nystral posted:

gently caress I’d kill for a Princess Ark movie. But in all honesty there’s not enough there to pull into a coherent movie without leaving so much on the floor. It’d work better as a tv show but needs support from some other property to get off the ground. I’m not sure it would work with the current movie as I haven’t seen it.

I feel like Princess Ark would be awesome as an animated series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is supposed to be a TV series following up on the Movie.

Alongside the upcoming Baldur's Gate III there is also at least one more big budget video game coming as well.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leperflesh posted:

Hey! Since the D&D movie looks to have been pretty successful, is this the industry's Iron Man I? Marvel finally got a good superhero movie made and it opened the floodgates. A good D&D movie that has box office success should lead to more... or, unlike how Marvel Studios had been created to keep production in-house and thereby have more control (random other studios inevitably killed prior superhero films by endless re-writes, finding d-tier directors, never spending on top actors, etc. and Marvel did... not that, and it worked), was this a fluke and we're going to see garbage movies in the future?

I don't think it's the TTRPG adaption version of Iron Man I. Maybe Blade 1, in that Blade was really where execs realized you could make successful superhero movies, then the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies after that. Or it could be seen as being comparable to The Incredible Hulk (2008), where it was a proof of concept that built enough confidence for Disney to move ahead with more MCU movies. This all depends on the final box office returns though yeah.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nystral posted:

gently caress I’d kill for a Princess Ark movie. But in all honesty there’s not enough there to pull into a coherent movie without leaving so much on the floor. It’d work better as a tv show but needs support from some other property to get off the ground. I’m not sure it would work with the current movie as I haven’t seen it.

Man, I'd just kill for them to acknowledge Mystara existed in any sort of meaningful way...

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just make a DIE movie

This would be great but the budget would be astronomical.

More likely it ends up becoming a series that never ends until no-one is watching

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Off the top of my head:

Successful:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Underworld
Pan's Labyrinth

Unsuccessful:
Narnia
Golden Compass
A Wrinkle in Time
At least one D&D movie
Some other urban fantasy movies

Narnia and The Golden Compass really but the nail in the coffin.

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe did really well, it’s just that interest fell off after the first. The problem with the run of post-LOTR/Potter fantasy adaptations was people only seemed to be interested in a few titles they recognized and they ran through all those pretty quickly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Lamuella posted:

They should do a West Marches style D&D TV show with a different cast each time.

They cast whoever shows up to set earliest

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Alongside the upcoming Baldur's Gate III there is also at least one more big budget video game coming as well.

There's also Solasta:Crown of the Magister which is another turnbased, create your own party, 5E game using the SRD plus their own setting and some new material. Came out last year, 2 DLC so far, and a third on the way with an active and expanding module creator.

It's made on a fraction of the budget and resources of BGIII but I've really enjoyed it.

Oh and the base game is free on Game Pass for PC as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1640958100889915392

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If you put a gun to my head and made me come up with a plan for a DnD cinematic universe, my high concept would have been "Cast four 3.5 iconics (probably the traditional fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric. Add a monk or bard if you wanna be spicy) and put them in a fun movie that a nerd-curious person would like. Then, take the most popular one and get a new batch of iconics and put them in another good movie. Mix everyone up, adding one or two new people along the way. Now you've got a stable you can work with and design some bigger conflict that need more than one adventuring party. That's your Endgame. But you have to actually do four (at minimum!) actual fun movies first."

Since they basically made their own iconics, my recommendation would basically do the same thing, but just go hog wild with the new people. Dragonborn warlord? Sure. Eladrin Monk fae stepping everywhere? You know it.

I don't know if it's a *good* idea, but everyone has basically agreed that most legacy DND stories and adventures are not viable for even *very* loose adaptations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Capfalcon posted:

If you put a gun to my head and made me come up with a plan for a DnD cinematic universe, my high concept would have been "Cast four 3.5 iconics (probably the traditional fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric. Add a monk or bard if you wanna be spicy) and put them in a fun movie that a nerd-curious person would like. Then, take the most popular one and get a new batch of iconics and put them in another good movie. Mix everyone up, adding one or two new people along the way. Now you've got a stable you can work with and design some bigger conflict that need more than one adventuring party. That's your Endgame. But you have to actually do four (at minimum!) actual fun movies first."

Oh man, now I'm remembering a D&D camp I saw back in 1999 (I was at Mathcamp instead, which was at the same campus). They had campaigns of varying power levels over the few weeks, and the end was everyone in one room as all their quests culminate in a ritual to summon Tiamat (the one group that had in-character figured out they were getting MacGuffins for the bad guys showed up a few seconds too late) that they then had to stop, with the five main GMs each controlling a head and various runners managing what everyone was doing and relaying it for a summary of each round. It was a hoot to watch, a massive cluster of chaos but they knew that going in and hadn't designed it to require major coordination or anything. Pretty much "everyone runs around in a panic trying to stall the Dragon Goddess until someone finds the human-level guy in the whole mess to beat up and reverse the ritual".

Not a high-level concept or something, but a great example of just a mosh pit of a story that characters could play around in for a few hours.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Capfalcon posted:

I'm with you. Do it the way old Conan works did it where you've got various side kicks/rivals/partners coming and going.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Someone here suggested an actual game of D&D as a framing device for the old D&D movie (to make it the least bit interesting outside of Jeremy Irons ham). That would probably work for D&D as a property.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Splicer posted:

Give me Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: The Movie. Either something original with the same gonzo feel or literally just run a session on some actors blind, then hand the table notes back to them as a film script.

Tomb of Horrors: The Motion Picture. everyone dies

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Tomb of Horrors: The Motion Picture. everyone dies

This already exists, it's called "As Above, So Below" and it's excellent

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Name Change posted:

Someone here suggested an actual game of D&D as a framing device for the old D&D movie (to make it the least bit interesting outside of Jeremy Irons ham). That would probably work for D&D as a property.

This always gets brought up every time people spitball ideas for D&D movies but every single time someone has made a movie like this it's basically just been low-effort meta humor, and I'm willing to accept this is my personal tastes coming through but I'd rather stare at a wall for two hours than watch a D&D reference saturated, less charming version of the Princess Bride, let alone a whole series of movies like that.

e; like at this point, I think it would be more interesting to have a movie about people playing a D&D campaign where you don't have some "and now here they are as their characters" stuff and it's just a movie about a game group, comedy or drama, take your pick.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Dexo posted:

I mean, Hasbro could just buy a movie studio, but that wouldn't happen until there are more successes.

I know Hasbro’s the Big Gaming Company but the scale is completely different. Entertainment One was a production company with a bit of television filming capacity and I think an animation studio. They cost Hasbro 4 billion, and if they could have made the D&D movie alone they would have.

Amazon paid 8 billion for MGM and that was mostly about the back catalog. Paramount’s market cap is like 14 billion right now. Hasbro’s market cap is 7 billion.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Kai Tave posted:

e; like at this point, I think it would be more interesting to have a movie about people playing a D&D campaign where you don't have some "and now here they are as their characters" stuff and it's just a movie about a game group, comedy or drama, take your pick.

A D&D comedy where they never actually get to play D&D could be pretty great, just a series of events and minor foibles preventing anyone from ever making it to the DM's house or the session ever starting.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The Guild, but about a D&D group could be entertaining I suppose.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The big bad of movie 3 gets banished to Ravenloft and movie 4 is his adventure there where’s he the protagonist and comes back in movie 5 to wreck havoc on movies 1, 2 and 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This always gets brought up every time people spitball ideas for D&D movies but every single time someone has made a movie like this it's basically just been low-effort meta humor, and I'm willing to accept this is my personal tastes coming through but I'd rather stare at a wall for two hours than watch a D&D reference saturated, less charming version of the Princess Bride, let alone a whole series of movies like that.

They can work when it's like ten minutes you watch once a week or longer. Two hours and a half the way movies are going? Nah, I'm good.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Step 1: Advertise an exciting new trilogy based on a popular D&D universe

Step 2: Release two movies - the second of which ends on a cliffhanger

Step 3: Announce the studio is moving on to a different D&D property, then go to Step 1

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just make a DIE movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real legacy of Lord of the Rings is probably the popularity of trilogies and ongoing storylines and shared universes in movies rather than sequels as they go, though obviously there was a lot of mixed success at that.

Kinda funny that Hasbro has dabbled in multimedia stuff before- The Hub was basically made because they were sick of Cartoon Network's poo poo and so they made their own channel where they could show their own toy commercial cartoons without being hosed around by a network that seems them as competition, though they eventually wound that down.

I do wonder how much staying power D&D might have before the Mario movie seems set to blow the box office wide open, mind.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
They should make a live-action adaptation of the D&D cartoon show. Warwick Davis as Dungeon Master.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

So The Guild, but D&D instead of WoW.

I think using D&D (or any RPG) would get you a better The Guild than WoW did, because there's more opportunity for the film characters to use the game characters to work out their issues.

I honestly think it could work as a blend of each. We're following two stories, the in-game and the out-of-game. They interact and influence each other but the media treats the stories of both with equal seriousness. It would work better as a limited TV series than a move though.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

FishFood posted:

A D&D comedy where they never actually get to play D&D could be pretty great, just a series of events and minor foibles preventing anyone from ever making it to the DM's house or the session ever starting.
Waiting for Gygax.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Drakyn posted:

Waiting for Gygax.

VLA: Let's go.
EST: We can't.
VLA: Why not?
EST: We're waiting for Gygax.
VLA: Is he supposed to be coming here?
EST: We wait until we trigger a random encounter roll. If the roll comes up a "1" then we could get Gygax on the random encounter table.
VLA: But...
EST: What?
VLA: What happens if there's sub-tables to the random encounter table? We might have a 1 in a 1000 chance of encountering Gygax. Or lower.
EST: What can we do about it?
VLA: We could wait somewhere that increases the chances of encountering him. How about Greyhawk City streets at night?
EST: The last time we waited on the Greyhawk City streets at night we were almost torn apart by a pack of expensive doxies.
VLA: That was bullshit! They looked like ordinary gentlewomen! Who puts doxies on a random encounter table?
EST: Gygax.
VLA: That's why we're waiting for him. I forgot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Narsham posted:

VLA: Let's go.
EST: We can't.
VLA: Why not?
EST: We're waiting for Gygax.
VLA: Is he supposed to be coming here?
EST: We wait until we trigger a random encounter roll. If the roll comes up a "1" then we could get Gygax on the random encounter table.
VLA: But...
EST: What?
VLA: What happens if there's sub-tables to the random encounter table? We might have a 1 in a 1000 chance of encountering Gygax. Or lower.
EST: What can we do about it?
VLA: We could wait somewhere that increases the chances of encountering him. How about Greyhawk City streets at night?
EST: The last time we waited on the Greyhawk City streets at night we were almost torn apart by a pack of expensive doxies.
VLA: That was bullshit! They looked like ordinary gentlewomen! Who puts doxies on a random encounter table?
EST: Gygax.
VLA: That's why we're waiting for him. I forgot.
Yes, good.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Capfalcon posted:

Since they basically made their own iconics, my recommendation would basically do the same thing, but just go hog wild with the new people. Dragonborn warlord? Sure. Eladrin Monk fae stepping everywhere? You know it.

I don't know if it's a *good* idea, but everyone has basically agreed that most legacy DND stories and adventures are not viable for even *very* loose adaptations.

This is pretty much what happened with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. You get your D&D Jack Sparrow and you can ride them through five or six billion-dollar D&D: [Insert Title Here] movies. Toss a couple AAA video games in there. You’re not going to get another MCU but still pretty good!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They showed what WOTC's new VTT looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NoG-w1RbI

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Looks great.

Will make non-module play problematic and improvised play impossible.

There is no reason other than silly jokes to make the dice roll around the game landscape.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Megazver posted:

They showed what WOTC's new VTT looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NoG-w1RbI

What stood out to me was the mention of game consoles. If they get this working on those, Switch particularly, that's actually something that I don't think any other VTT can do at the moment.

It does look very shiny and they talk up the ability to customize it, but having tried to add homebrew on D&D beyond, lol.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My guess is dndbeyond gets updated, but yeah it seems like it's just talespire. Hard coded for 5e/oneandonly d&d

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I also kind of wonder about the specific layer of "game" they're targeting. Like, it falls somewhere between Tabletop Simulator where it tries to exactly mimic a tabletop experience and a typical RPG video game where it tries to immerse you in the setting by way of graphics. Most VTTs lean heavily toward the tabletop side, where the purpose is to centralize the mechanics of the game and any art is just there to make the UI look nice, but you're never expected to feel immersed in the game by way of the VTT alone. This falls in a weird middle space where everything is animated and has realistic lighting and textures while also being clearly game pieces. I don't think it's a bad thing or a good thing, but it's a choice and I wonder if the effort is worth it in the long run.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cool Dad posted:

I also kind of wonder about the specific layer of "game" they're targeting. Like, it falls somewhere between Tabletop Simulator where it tries to exactly mimic a tabletop experience and a typical RPG video game where it tries to immerse you in the setting by way of graphics. Most VTTs lean heavily toward the tabletop side, where the purpose is to centralize the mechanics of the game and any art is just there to make the UI look nice, but you're never expected to feel immersed in the game by way of the VTT alone. This falls in a weird middle space where everything is animated and has realistic lighting and textures while also being clearly game pieces. I don't think it's a bad thing or a good thing, but it's a choice and I wonder if the effort is worth it in the long run.

It's just tabletop simulator or talespire with built in animations for some spells. In a 3d environment.

Otherwise it's just moving minis.

It's not gonna be some deep reactive thing. Like maybe doors animate open and fire has lighting. They said everything else is p much just like moving minis at a table only in a virtual environment.

I played a lancer game in TTS and this seems like that only looks better since ue5.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

Looks great.

Will make non-module play problematic and improvised play impossible.

There is no reason other than silly jokes to make the dice roll around the game landscape.

As far as I know, they are planning to support normal 2d maps so non-module play shouldn't be impossible. It is going to instantly look sub-par compared to the official stuff that has full 3d maps set up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dexo posted:

It's just tabletop simulator or talespire with built in animations for some spells. In a 3d environment.

Otherwise it's just moving minis.

It's not gonna be some deep reactive thing. Like maybe doors animate open and fire has lighting. They said everything else is p much just like moving minis at a table only in a virtual environment.

I played a lancer game in TTS and this seems like that only looks better since ue5.

They mentioned changing lighting, the time of day, turning on rain, or turning on a rain of flaming embers. That sounds like a bit more than just lighting effects for fire.