Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's Punk's story about his dad and why is it bullshit?

His dad does not work for Nintendo and he has not played BotW2 before everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What's Punk's story about his dad and why is it bullshit?

He talked in promos about his dad being a drunk

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What do you consider the last attitude era wrestlemania? I'm going with 18. 17 is the peak and 18 had a lot of big matches between wwf and wcw stars. 19 feels like the beginning of ruthless aggression period to me.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Eras are a fuzzy concept but I'd say Attitude begins at Summerslam 97 and ends at Wrestlemania 17 in 2001.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Imo the Attitude Era begins after WrestleMania 12, hits major milestones with WM13, Survivor Series 97, WM14, SummerSlam 99, and ends at Invasion 01. WM18 is this bizarre combo of the Attitude Era swansong, yet a new beginning for many of it's big players (HHH, Jericho, Undertaker, Angle, Edge). Rock and Austin leaving was definitely the end though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always considered WrestleMania 17 to WrestleMania XX to be the Crossover Era (or the Dream Match Era). The three years were about coasting on WWE's victory over WCW and squeezing whatever juice they could out of using WCW names. The InVasion, the nWo, Classic Hogan, Goldberg, etc. All the while, Brock Lesnar was being built as the future of the company while Austin and Rock were walking out the door. By WrestleMania XX, Lesnar was finished, Goldberg's run was finished, their dream match felt meaningless, and the company was starting to build itself on the backs of Cena, Batista, and Orton.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So what was with that period of a few years when Angle was really thin? Like even his head was small.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It was the height of his pain pill problems but there were also reports he was trying to cut weight for either a movie role or getting off the gas to be clean and at weight for one more run at the olympics because he was out of his loving mind on pain pills.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Which AEW title is higher or now more prestigious? AEW International Championship or the AEW TNT Championship?

It used to be the TNT no question, but now the TNT title seems to have slipped a bit.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TNT title has been greatly devalued by a lot of short and meaningless title reigns.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The international championship has been cemented by oc. It will have to be seen how the next champ carries it. I'm down for it being the next big guy title and the tent title being the title that gets swapped a lot

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Which AEW title is higher or now more prestigious? AEW International Championship or the AEW TNT Championship?

It used to be the TNT no question, but now the TNT title seems to have slipped a bit.

TNT 100% International Title is a goofier title with lower profile challengers and more antics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get the impression that the International Championship is becoming the true #2 singles belt, and the TNT championship is becoming the Chaos Reigns belt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

due to their perfectly misaligned views the two users above must battle to the death.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CommonShore posted:

I get the impression that the International Championship is becoming the true #2 singles belt

I’m in your corner

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

The TNT Title started as “Cody’s Belt” so it should always be considered at the “Cody Level” of sub-Main Event level. It can slot in as a Main Event as needed, but it otherwise lives in a bubble as a secondary belt that can move around the card.

The International Title, OTOH, has been defended by both PAC and Orange Cassidy as the workhorse belt, with a constant open-challenge format being the main draw of the title. This means it, too, can slot up and and down the card depending on need, but I think the sheer volume of defenses by both champs AND the fact the belt hasn’t been swapped around a bunch yet (unlike the TNT, which got REALLY rough on that front during the Scorpio/Sammy feud) are basically endearing it to fans as the new #2 Singles belt in AEW.

Real fans know the ACTUAL #2 title is the FTW Championship, but I digress…

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AEW has a bunch of number 2 titles

bartok
May 10, 2006

What's the goofiest and least painful looking submission move?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bartok posted:

Probably the Cattle Mutilation (it's actually painful though)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

bartok posted:

John Cena’s world famous STF

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bartok posted:

Figure 8 Leg lock always looked dumb and like its way more painful for the person giving it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

bartok posted:

it depends on whether or not you want the submission to actually work on people in actual fights

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bartok posted:

The reversed Figure 4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bartok posted:

The Iron Claw.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ronda's goofy-rear end armbar is pretty funny imo the way that they make it look like she's hyperextending the elbow. The Torture Rack makes me laugh. What's the one Emi Sakura does where she steps into the knees and tangles up the feet and then pulls the arms backward? It takes like 3 hours to set up and her opponent is always like noooooo noooo! Please! Noooo! Also the Lock Jaw. It might be painful but just loving bite her fingers man it's right there lol.

Lots of submissions are modified versions of poo poo that works for real. The cloverleaf submission doesn't hurt at all the way they do it, but it can be modified a bit from there to be extremely painful.

The Lebell lock is horrible, though. That's a legit move.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Ronda's goofy-rear end armbar is pretty funny imo the way that they make it look like she's hyperextending the elbow.

It's a great pro-wrestling move, because if you know nothing about the intricacies of fighting it looks like shes gonna snap the arm, but it's enormously safe because the direction she pulls the arm puts the stress on the shoulder which has a way higher range of motion instead of the elbow.

bartok posted:

Any claw move, except for the mandible claw. I can't pick between the abdominal claw and the trapezius claw.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

The reversed Figure 4
Ironically, Ric Flair couldn't counter the counter to the figure-four, because it's just wearing your knee pads on your knees.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Ronda's goofy-rear end armbar is pretty funny imo the way that they make it look like she's hyperextending the elbow. The Torture Rack makes me laugh. What's the one Emi Sakura does where she steps into the knees and tangles up the feet and then pulls the arms backward? It takes like 3 hours to set up and her opponent is always like noooooo noooo! Please! Noooo! Also the Lock Jaw. It might be painful but just loving bite her fingers man it's right there lol.

Lots of submissions are modified versions of poo poo that works for real. The cloverleaf submission doesn't hurt at all the way they do it, but it can be modified a bit from there to be extremely painful.

The Lebell lock is horrible, though. That's a legit move.

the wrestling explanation of the Lockjaw/Mandible Claw is that it's a nerve pinch that immobilizes the lower jaw so the other person physically can't bite down on the fingers once the move is applied

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

isnt the explanation that the hold is under the tongue too so you cant just "bite the fingers" without biting off your own tongue too

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

As teenagers we, of course, tried the mandible claw on each other and it loving kills if you’re actually doing it with force

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

What's the one Emi Sakura does where she steps into the knees and tangles up the feet and then pulls the arms backward? It takes like 3 hours to set up and her opponent is always like noooooo noooo! Please! Noooo!

The surfboard it's a classic practised by many legends. Ultimo Dragon just did one on the supershow

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As with many weird submissions, it's a lucha hold from the golden age.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ganso Bomb posted:

As teenagers we, of course, tried the mandible claw on each other and it loving kills if you’re actually doing it with force

I just tried poking around my soft palette once out of idle curiosity. and I found the sweet spot where it became very obvious to me that the mandible claw is legit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

The surfboard it's a classic practised by many legends. Ultimo Dragon just did one on the supershow

Was a staple Jyushin Thunder Liger spot as well, so deserves to be treated with some reverence for the weird thing it is. And if Danielson does it it can’t be totally worthless :colbert:

The real answer is the torture rack though.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why was Orton vs Edge at Backlash billed as the Greatest Wrestling Match Ever TM?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why was Orton vs Edge at Backlash billed as the Greatest Wrestling Match Ever TM?

SEO

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Seams posted:

John Cena’s world famous STF

Counterpoint: The Rock's ridiculous attempts at a Sharpshooter.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wait how have we gotten this far and no one has said the WORLD FAMOUS MONEY CLIP yet

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Vandar posted:

Wait how have we gotten this far and no one has said the WORLD FAMOUS MONEY CLIP yet

Because the question wasn't which is the most well known submission.

Money Clip > Skull End any day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Greatest Wrestling Match Ever TM?

option-2