Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Alan Smithee posted:

Abrams ERA when

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m1a2-tusk.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The bottom two images look like something from 40K.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Ribbed for your pleasure

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CainFortea posted:

Abrams ERA is just the heat rounds it shoots the t-55 with from 5km away.

React to T-55 -> Explosion

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Due the lack of an autoloader, are T-54/55s less explodey than T-72s and the like?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ehhh.... depends. Hit a shell internally, its bad times. Autoloader Im not so sure really represents a more likely detonation innately so much as it making detonations that do occur more likely to be catastrophic. Nick Moran went over it, its weird.

Leopard 2 front hull ammo racks being hit in Syria responded similarly to T-series ammo carousel explosions iirc. Hull ERA will hopefully help there.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Looking bad for Challenger as well: https://eurasiantimes.com/upgraded-since-20-years-outdated-british-challenger/

Russian Media posted:

In 2019, the then-defense secretary, Penny Mordaunt, suggested that Challenger 2s have become obsolete. She noted, “Challenger 2 has been in service without a major upgrade since 1998.” The focus in Britain has since shifted to the Challenger-2 successor, the Challenger-3.

This was also highlighted by a Russian language media portal that said the British were supplying these tanks to Ukraine since they always wanted to ‘eliminate’ them. The local publication said that in the foreseeable future, there will be no buyers for the British tank, therefore, reputational damage is of no interest to anyone.

The whole squadron, that is, 14 tanks, can die the death of the brave without the slightest damage to Great Britain.

“The first squadron will obviously be followed by the second, the third, and the fourth. And it will not be a shame to show photos of the burned-out Challenger 2 – after all, the English school of tank building has long died.”

There's also a documentary from UK training grounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-Eghtai3s

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 30, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Due the lack of an autoloader, are T-54/55s less explodey than T-72s and the like?

I mean, a somewhat modern APFSDS dart is going to rip right through a T-54/55 like a hot knife through butter, their armor is wholly incapable of dealing with a kinetic penetrator. ERA blocks will work against a HEAT round, but APFSDS will drill right into the crew compartment and then catch on fire because DU is pyrophoric, along with spalling from the penetration killing the squishies in the compartment.

It doesn't really matter if a T-54/55 will brew up and launch a turret like a 72, because the crew is still dead as gently caress.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Oh no, 25 year old tanks, how ancient. The only thing they're worth using against would be something crazy, like tanks from the 70s. Too bad they won't be facing any of those

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Eurasian Times acting as a stooge for Russian propaganda. The only claim in there is that yes; UK MOD sees them dispensable as they are being phased out anyway. As far as their battlefield performance, they are about two generations above Any t55 / t62 upgrade russia is currently sending in.

-drunk tankposting -

Ignoring blatant Russian propaganda, the basis of all tank design is ”you can only polish a turd so much” - the fundamental design decisions on initial design phase dictate a LOT on what changes the platform can undergo. And unfortunately for all Soviet designs, T-72 (and T-90 as its derivative) met this hard cap about the same time CR2 got introduced.

Weight and size dictate that unless russia has literally found either Tiberium for power plant or Adamantine for armor, the newest T90 variants are still suffering either from the same problems (armor scheme, autoloader vulnerability for turret-tossing, gun depression) or have gained a crippling list of new deficiencies (massive power train wear for heavily increased weight to power ratio, reduced ammo capacity due to internal armoring of the autoader in order to incorporate some sort of blowout capability, massive power generation/storage issues for bunch of APS sensors) because laws of physics only bend so much to nanonano-metallurgy and hi-fi-alloys when the eternal armor vs weight vs firepower -conundrum js being solved.

this conflict will be very likely what defines the next gen iteration of "the tank" since we have already seen some new solutions being presented, but given russias current issues in obtaining high-tech components all those iterations will likely be NATO / ROK / PRC driven, along with this sealing the fate of T-72 / T-90 as viable export product.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 30, 2023

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'd guess the challengers will end up shooting 99% hesh with only the rare APFSDS shot.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Power Khan posted:

More from that attack on the T-treeline from a few days ago. Another attack makes it right outside the trench, the russians throw grenades into it. The guys are ready to make their last stand and call artillery on their own position. It saves their lives. A tank and an ifv arrive and wipe the floor with the rest of the attackers who try to run.

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1641190807649624065

Similar attack. Not only is the music shittier, but the drone positioning seems worse too.

You'd think they'd have at least some mortar or overhead drone coverage

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
"Oh hello there BMP. What's up?" better go on the back of at least one of the medals he gets.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 30, 2023

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

As a CR2 commander, it is indeed a little old around the edges but it's a great vehicle, the capabilities of long range hesh engagements seems to fit into Ukrainian tactics of using tanks as artillery, the only downside I see that makes it truly lacking in comparison to M1a2's and Leopard 2 A5 and above is the lack of hunter killer functionality at night which is addressed in the CR3 upgrade.

Charm rounds will do some serious damage to the tanks that the russians are putting up against them, what I'm not seeing though is true armoured manoeuvre, jockeying their positions, I'm seeing tanks being used piecemeal little or no infantry or recce screen and driving up obvious tracks but if your going to do that you really need to combat team it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm a little surprised to see an American trainer involved in operating the gunnery simulators. Are they using a repurposed M1 gunnery sim?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

As a CR2 commander,
How configurable is the armour on C2 and from publicity shots so far, can you tell what they've been given or if they're without some optional upgrades? The video of the politician hooning about seems to not have the same level of side protection visible in photos from Iraq.

(Without breaking MoD secrecy)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a little surprised to see an American trainer involved in operating the gunnery simulators. Are they using a repurposed M1 gunnery sim?

Contextually, I think it's more likely he's on some kind of exchange program with the British Army where he fills a normal billet in that training unit. That one US trainer pops up a handful of times in the video, and all of his instruction appears to be specific to the Challengers.

His instructor tab and UK flag both look like they're taken from a standard British Army uniform rather than US instructor accoutrements. I don't recognize the chest badge, but it's visibly not the standard instructor badge.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Pablo Bluth posted:

How configurable is the armour on C2 and from publicity shots so far, can you tell what they've been given or if they're without some optional upgrades? The video of the politician hooning about seems to not have the same level of side protection visible in photos from Iraq.

(Without breaking MoD secrecy)

You've got the TES variant (Theatre Entry Standard) basically, bar armour around the rear, back of the turret, extra chobham around the sides and front, thermal front and reversing cameras and a loaders RWS station instead of the pintle MG

Basically a bit like a British version of the Abrams TUSK system

Tes Varient of CR2

It also has a bird table with all the ECM on it.

I will say one thing, if they get the chaingun going, that thing is an absolute laser beam for a coax mg up to 1800m obviously you get trace burn out after a while but that thing is 👌

Honestly though it goes up to 72 ton at a full combat load so I'd be very wary of some of the bridges I've seen, that might have been a consideration for the lack of TES, but who knows.

A.o.D. posted:

So he's on a posting to lulworth, we have an exchange program between here and the US, when I went through my Phase 2 gunner at lulworth I had a yank instructor, the tab is a UK thing for Bovington and lulworth.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 30, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wearing the uniform of an allied service or branch isn't unusual- you will often see cross branch stuff in the US (like Navy in Army uniform with Navy Nametape and Army patches), and I've seen it in past pictures from various exercises and things like the Balkans in the 90s.

It serves a few purposes- uniformity/authority of instructors and OPSEC the biggest, but could also be coverage for Contractors.

E- As a former Professional, drone directed fires scare the gently caress out of me. At least with traditional Forward Observers, you can kill the guy who is expediting hate towards you.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 30, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arc Light posted:

Contextually, I think it's more likely he's on some kind of exchange program with the British Army where he fills a normal billet in that training unit. That one US trainer pops up a handful of times in the video, and all of his instruction appears to be specific to the Challengers.

His instructor tab and UK flag both look like they're taken from a standard British Army uniform rather than US instructor accoutrements. I don't recognize the chest badge, but it's visibly not the standard instructor badge.

On his other shoulder he has the standard US flag on top and Ukraine patch underneath. I figured he was there because they might be IS training equipment in the gunnery simulation room.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1641308603855380481

That radar warning receiver is wild.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Valtonen posted:

this conflict will be very likely what defines the next gen iteration of "the tank" since we have already seen some new solutions being presented, but given russias current issues in obtaining high-tech components all those iterations will likely be NATO / ROK / PRC driven, along with this sealing the fate of T-72 / T-90 as viable export product.

Russia will say that it has solved all of these problems with the Armata.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
As a US Armor officer, I ran into multiple British, Australian, and Canadian exchange soldiers in various training and operational billets. Probably some from New Zealand as well somewhere but I never ran into any.

My brigade always had a Canadian exchange officer on the brigade staff in the S3 shop doing the same work an American staff officer would be doing.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

A.o.D. posted:

On his other shoulder he has the standard US flag on top and Ukraine patch underneath. I figured he was there because they might be IS training equipment in the gunnery simulation room.

He's on an exchange, he teaches CR2 gunnery there is a Brit over in the states at the Armour school doing the exact same thing on Abrams. His normal day to day duties include training soldiers from units and sometimes also new recruits, nothing to do with international students.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How different is the t55 armor from a t72 or t80?

At some point just building for thickness must have an upper limit for utility and armor, sloping and angling seems to be pretty well understood even back in the day of the 55.

Does it all then just come down to reactive armor, etc.? And if so then would an uparmored 55 be substantially worse than a newer tank?

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
One thing that T55 will be vulnerable to is HEAT and HESH, anti spall linings have come a long way, in modern MBT's not so much the T55 I wouldn't waste an APFSDS if I had the time on one.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That Works posted:

Tremendously so. In the event tank vs tank combat happens, I think the T72 and 80 are going to be more resilient than people expect.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That Works posted:

At some point just building for thickness must have an upper limit for utility and armor, sloping and angling seems to be pretty well understood even back in the day of the 55.

Does it all then just come down to reactive armor, etc.? And if so then would an uparmored 55 be substantially worse than a newer tank?

It's a serious difference.

Not a perfect source, but a decent ballpark.

The NERA is backwards, basically, because it's tacked on with the T-55

E: and that pocket of high HEAT resistance is the fuel tank

E2: And just for giggles, T-90:

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 30, 2023

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1641481790798934030

Russian military industrial might strikes again

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
How powerful are tank fired shells compared to atgm? There's countless hours of footage of ATGMs taking out Russian tanks of all models/eras but that's a skewed sample as unsuccessful attacks are less likely to be shared; do we have a access to any good studies about the real success rate of ATGMs vs Russian armour?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Pablo Bluth posted:

How powerful are tank fired shells compared to atgm? There's countless hours of footage of ATGMs taking out Russian tanks of all models/eras but that's a skewed sample as unsuccessful attacks are less likely to be shared; do we have a access to any good studies about the real success rate of ATGMs vs Russian armour?

ATGMs are 100% HEAT warheads, whereas tank rounds against other tanks are usually kinetic. What this means is that the armor behaves completely differently against one or the other.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

ATGM tend to have a higher success rate for a variety of reasons, biggest factor of all is Top Attack/Directed Shaped Charges, like the TOW2-B and Javelin.

They have a statistically lower hit rate (from what little I've seen, which is mostly After Action) because they are often manually controlled in the way in, and while doctrine says fire in volleys, it's less common in modern war, particularly Syria and UKR. They are more easily seen to be countered, and armor counter measures are effective against ATGM/Man Portables not so much against tanks. They make up for a lower hit rate with a higher success rate, because tank vs tank is less common, and comes down to who can get that first shot off and on target.

All that said, Tank VS Tank in modern war is one guy goes home, the other tank's corpses get to be the subject of a Pulitzer.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

bulletsponge13 posted:

All that said, Tank VS Tank in modern war is one guy goes home, the other tank's corpses get to be the subject of a Pulitzer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ryan MacBeth on YT has OSINT that Ukraine is fielding the wireless version of the TOW.

Poor T55. Thought of TOWs and drowned.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/drosha69/status/1641497694744240128

https://twitter.com/drosha69/status/1641500251172524032

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Bro earned every bit of that and more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Surprised they didn't issue him rechambered one for 7.62x39. But guess he really wanted the real deal.

But yeah, earned every piece of that thing.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Javelin doing it's job deleting tanks. Some pretty spectacular explosions

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641497769432035328

Btw, this one is pretty harsh. These always hit very hard in the feels when the places they fight in are almost untouched and identifiable as somebody's home.

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1641233788914003973

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 30, 2023

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Surprised they didn't issue him rechambered one for 7.62x39. But guess he really wanted the real deal.

There are no combat reliable ×39 or 5.45 ARs- even the most reliable might not be viable- I have little doubt they are using at least some corrosive ammo, which AR/M16 do not like.

5.56 is already in their supply chain- that doesn't mean it's available to him. I wonder what his 'basic' combat load is.

One side effect of this is watching militaries suddenly remember what war is like, and seeing practical conversations, like ammo management and realistic movement under fire.

If it hasn't already been done, I'm sure there is someone developing a program/app that does all the hard work of call for fire built into the drone operator system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

How many of those do you think are around? It would be more surprising if they had. 5.45 would make more sense too over 7.62 because the cartridge dimensions are closer to 5.56 but then still there's really not that many of those guns around.

e:f;b