Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

At first I thought "reputti" was the funny Finnish version of repeat, then I realized the headline didn't say that, it said he failed. So probably something like repudiate.

But it means backpack...?

It really shouldn't have any similarities with English anyway but now I'm just curious about how that fits in there at all.
The Finnish lesson no-one requested:
Reputtaa = informal verb meaning "to fail (a test)"
Reppu = a backpack
"Reputtaa" could also be a verbified version of "Reppu", in which case it'd mean "to backpack"/"to turn into a backpack".
"Bilbo Baggins" has been translated as "Bilbo Reppuli" in the most popular translation of Lord of the Rings (by Kersti Juva).
(The very first translation of The Hobbit translated "Bilbo Baggins" instead as "Kalpa Kassinen"; "-li" and "-nen" are fairly similar noun/name endings, "kalpa" is an old word for a sword/blade & "kassi" means "bag", but "kassi" is also an euphemism for testicles so the first translation calling "Bilbo Baggins" basically "Blade Nutsackins" didn't really work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Throwing away my established D&D character just to reroll a new halfling named Blade Nutsackins.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1640706321858146305

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

“This is a Guardian article.”

scrolls down

“Every time!”
How about CNN then?

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/pope-francis-puffer-coat-ai-fashion-lotw/index.html

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

By popular demand posted:

Brilliant brilliant BRILLIANT, *BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT* *chases you faster and faster*

BRILLIANT *appearing suddenly before you as you looked behind, like a bad movie monster*

BRILLIANT *are his eyes bleeding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMgkl-gRxk

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/letitmelo/status/1641074452166311937?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bobjr posted:

gundam is a tale of bad guys from outer space.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They actually pulled Dragon Ball manga out of the stores here because of pedophilia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

They actually pulled Dragon Ball manga out of the stores here because of pedophilia.

Japanese publishers could flood the market if they learned to make a comic without paedophilia.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They have been flooding the market. Manga has been exploding in popularity in the west over the last five or so years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

They have been flooding the market. Manga has been exploding in popularity in the west over the last five or so years

:monocle:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently saw a photo from a comic book store where one narrow shelf in the corner was Marvel/DC and the entire rest of the wall was Manga.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1641103123551748099

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/yupthtexists/status/1641102217884098561?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I want to try a sip

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Throwing away my established D&D character just to reroll a new halfling named Blade Nutsackins.

I mean my entire seventh grade English class called him Dildo Daggins

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

"kalpa" is an old word for a sword/blade

Kalpa is Finnish for épée.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Kalpa is Finnish for épée.

Oh huh, didn't know it was a specific sword. Afaik when it's used nowadays it's generally a generic poetic word for a sword, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hempuli posted:

Oh huh, didn't know it was a specific sword. Afaik when it's used nowadays it's generally a generic poetic word for a sword, though.

Except for, you know, people who actually use swords.

Clearly someone hasn't read the best sports book in the world.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Terrigal surf lifesaving club members shocked over 'no nudity' policy in change rooms

quote:

Wendy Farley said
"How can you have a shower and get changed in a change room without being nude?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
...define "alternative"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Splicer posted:

...define "alternative"

Trees as a service.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

...define "alternative"
"can start converting co2 into o2 and otehrwise filtering the air much faster than it takes a tree to grow"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zereth posted:

converting co2 into o2

:wrong:

Plants and nonplant autotrophs convert H2O into O2.

The hydrogen and both components of the CO2 are incorporated into the plant’s tissues.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

Plants and nonplant autotrophs convert H2O into O2.

The hydrogen and both components of the CO2 are incorporated into the plant’s tissues.

I remember thinking "yeah OK so you've got a seed, and then BOOM in only 200 years it grows into a big-rear end loving tree so... where does the material come from?!?!?" and then when I got it it was a very :eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye::eyepop::popeye: moment.

Trees literally grow out of thin air. #whoa #wow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The inverse is how people lose weight. It’s not extra poo poo or extra piss. It’s extra exhalations.

There’s also a little extra mass in the piss.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The inverse is how people lose weight. It’s not extra poo poo or extra piss. It’s extra exhalations.

One can lose a bunch of weight making GBS threads. Often ends in death.

Not that you become immortal if you don't poo poo.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Counterpoint: I knew a guy who said he was immortal and he was indeed full of poo poo.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can lie about it, but you'd be full of poo poo wither way.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Splicer posted:

Counterpoint: I knew a guy who said he was immortal and he was indeed full of poo poo.

There's an annoying American Youtuber (but I hella repeat myself) who calls himself "The Immortal John Hancock" and I'm just playing the waiting game so I get to comment something on all his videos.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

...define "alternative"

Doesn't provide shade or cooler temperatures that the undeserving would take comfort in.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sydney man triggers major police search after allegedly toting ‘AK-47’ that turned out to be a bong

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More like

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That was just the first gis for ak47 bong. Thank you for your service.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought this is a simple watercolor painting of a rifle until I scroll down.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1641194293674102785
https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1641195352974843904

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inceltown posted:

That was just the first gis for ak47 bong. Thank you for your service.

rude!

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Ah yes the ak420 :okpos:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Headline's fine but that picture... :laffo: at how stupid rich people are.

Homeland | Judgements

"Mafiaagreement" [sic] - Band of swindlers convinced wealthy man he was leader of criminal organization

The sentenced convinced the man that he was the leader of a criminal organization, who has to pay to have dead bodies removed from his apartment.

quote:

Mafiaagreement

100.000 [redacted]
[struck] approves to have Boddy
Away from [redacted]'s diGs
[redacted]