Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Verman posted:

Just went to REI and used my coupon and dividend on a helinox chair zero. It was definitely a splurge purchase because I probably wouldn't have bought one otherwise.

I have a new pack, tent, sleeping pad in the last year or so. New trail runners last year. Everything else is working perfectly so there really wasn't much else I needed to upgrade or add. One thing a buddy has brought several times is his drat chair and it's surprising how jealous I got watching him sit back and relax.

I'm amazed how much comfort one pound of weight can give you.

That chair was also my "I don't need anything else significant so I might as well get something indulgent" purchase. I was really thankful for it when I found myself spending a rainy evening in a field full of bison turds.

I have an itch to buy a whole new set of car camping gear though so that I won't have to use my fancy UL backpacking stuff as much. I think I can justify the expense by how much longer my expensive gear will last if I don't use it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

alnilam posted:

I personally still rock the foam z-lite pads, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but they're chep and unbreakable, and even if you later upgrade to inflatable, it's nice to have an extra around for use as a sit pad on non backpacking trips, lending to a friend, etc. However you might just hate it and I don't want you to accordingly hate backpacking. Just putting it out there as an option for first sleeping pad. Try to lie down on one in the store and see what you think.

I have two foam zlite pads that are each over 10+ years. Still use them as either a base pad for winter camping, sit pads, you name it. Easily worth the money.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That chair was also my "I don't need anything else significant so I might as well get something indulgent" purchase. I was really thankful for it when I found myself spending a rainy evening in a field full of bison turds.

I have an itch to buy a whole new set of car camping gear though so that I won't have to use my fancy UL backpacking stuff as much. I think I can justify the expense by how much longer my expensive gear will last if I don't use it all the time.

I have that chair as well, but I end up using either my 2 pound coleman folding stool with back or my tripod stool.

For me I want a chair for breaks on the trail, and stopping to put those together was always annoying. Now I just unstrap my stool and set them up with the flick of a wrist. Otherwise at camp I usually lounge in my hammock so I dont really need a chair once I get to my site.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

abraham linksys posted:

i'm planning on doing my first bike touring later this year (june in upstate ny) with my partner. we've got a kind of harebrained idea to bike about a week across part of the erie canalway trail, doing mostly hotel stays along the way, until we reach a state park where we're splitting a campsite with some friends who are driving up, at which point we'll be tent camping for 3 nights.

i don't have any gear right now (well, other than the bikes) and just impulse bought the REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ Tent with Footprint. it's on the heavier side for "backpacking" tents, but i reckon the extra weight won't be as bad strapped to a bike, especially since this is gonna be a mostly flat and low-speed trip of ~50 miles a day. the tent is a "2+" that is larger than the average 2-person tent, and while i'm 5'11" my partner is only 5'0", so i don't think we'll have too much trouble fitting (we'll be packing pretty light since our friends will be bringing most of the actual "camping" supplies and we're going to be cycling through a bunch of towns and cities and won't need to bring a lot of food or anything).

i'm trying to figure out a good sleep system to go with this. my first thought was "well i guess we should get some nice sleeping bags," but for 2 people who are only really interested in 55F+ camping, i was wondering if maybe getting a couple pads and a camping quilt would make sense? my main concern is i don't know exactly what to get for pads for this case, most sleeping pad reviews seem to be assuming you're pairing them with sleeping bags. dunno if anyone has a system like this and can recommend what to pair up, or just what kind of budget to expect (as you might guess from me buying a heavily discounted tent i'd kinda like something on the cheaper side, if possible)

This should be fine. Ive slept many a nights in a 2 person backpacking tent with my buddy who is 6'2. You should have a little more extra width. It wont be a palace but considering most of your nights are in a hotel, you can probably slum it in a small tent a few nights.

For sleep systems, look at air pads. They'll pack the smallest and weigh the least, plus they'll probably be more comfortable. Given the weather, you shouldn't need a super insulated pad but some insulation wouldn't hurt. For a budget pad, look a the klymit insulated static V, its around $100. They often sell them at costco for less. There are also even cheaper options like the cascade mountain tech pad (insulated) at costco for $55. For a nicer more plush option, look at the big agnes insulated q core or rapide sl for $150-200.

For sleeping bags/quilts, I'd also look at down for low weight, highest warmth, and smallest packability but it will cost you a little more. On the low end you can probably pick up a kelty cosmic down 20 for $150. I can't imagine finding a down quilt for less as they're still sort of seen as boutique items. Either a quilt or sleeping bag, its sort of your preference but I definitely wouldn't suggest sharing one. Synthetic sleeping bags will be heavier and won't pack down as small but they are cheaper.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I will once again strongly suggest looking at renting the gear. A week with a pad and bag comes out to under 80 bucks. If this is only a one-off I think that’s the way to go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh yeah, for sure. Didn't even think about that. Rent or borrow if you can unless this is something you might do again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
A friend and I used pool inflatables as sleeping pads during an overnight once; we had a lot of fun sleeping on pizza slices. It worked surprisingly well, except for all the squeaking.

Don't think I'd do that unless you had, like, $10 max to spend on a pad and the beautiful spine of a 20-something, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I cannot stop buying backpacks that I don't need.

I have a 20l and its fine for just me, but I often have to carry my kids' stuff around. I have a 28l and its not big enough for a weekend. 40l seems too big for a day.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 28, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I cannot stop buying backpacks that I don't need.

Join us!

I have at least 7-8 at this point.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Same.

Backpacks and jackets man. I just can't stop.

The more hobbies I get, the more I like unique gear for those hobbies.

Super small summit packs, dirtbike pack meant for riding with a tool pouch, day hiking pack, ski touring pack with avvy gear, weekend/winter pack, my primary weeklong pack, travel backpack ... I'm sure there are more that I don't use for outdoors. It doesn't help that I get so much swag from work and backpacks are common. The nicest part about multiple packs is that you can designate a pack per activity and leave it mostly ready to go. I can look at my gear wall and grab the pack I need, knowing I only need to throw a few extra into it. I've sold some over the years to thin the herd a bit.

Jackets. Holy poo poo. Just to drat many but they all have different uses. Work tends to give away jackets, water bottles, and backpacks. It's not always great but I'll either give them away, donate them, or use them for yard/garage work where it's getting dirty.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Freaquency posted:

I will once again strongly suggest looking at renting the gear. A week with a pad and bag comes out to under 80 bucks. If this is only a one-off I think that’s the way to go.

I'll look into renting, but honestly, I'm not sure there are many options for it here in NYC - one of the highest density places in the world means there are only so many tents and sleeping bags to go around for thousands of people going out camping every weekend :v:

Verman posted:

For sleep systems, look at air pads. They'll pack the smallest and weigh the least, plus they'll probably be more comfortable. Given the weather, you shouldn't need a super insulated pad but some insulation wouldn't hurt. For a budget pad, look a the klymit insulated static V, its around $100. They often sell them at costco for less. There are also even cheaper options like the cascade mountain tech pad (insulated) at costco for $55. For a nicer more plush option, look at the big agnes insulated q core or rapide sl for $150-200.

For sleeping bags/quilts, I'd also look at down for low weight, highest warmth, and smallest packability but it will cost you a little more. On the low end you can probably pick up a kelty cosmic down 20 for $150. I can't imagine finding a down quilt for less as they're still sort of seen as boutique items. Either a quilt or sleeping bag, its sort of your preference but I definitely wouldn't suggest sharing one. Synthetic sleeping bags will be heavier and won't pack down as small but they are cheaper.

thanks, will take a look at these!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I just hit 10 over the weekend.
Not counting my duffel bags.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm looking for tent recommendations. I'm thinking ahead to next winter, looking for a tent primarily for XC ski touring in Norway and Sweden. Probably mostly short trips (2 overnights), but the occasional week away as well. Needs to fit two people and a pair of 25kg dogs. Expected conditions aren't that extreme since you aren't really at altitude and if it looks like a proper blizzard we'll stay home, but obviously you can get caught out and I'd prefer to be ready in that case.

I was pretty well decided on a Hilleberg Kaitum 3GT, the model is quite popular here and considered a good fit to local conditions. But it's also both on the more expensive and heavy side even among 4-season tents. Also I marked out the footprint at home and it's absolutely massive. That's very nice when the weather is terrible and part of why you go for the GT version, but it does make it a bit harder to use outside of the winter when you need to find flat ground and can't just stamp down the snow. Not sure if I'm just buying a lot more tent than I need.

My other tents are either tiny things aimed at fast and light alpinism or huge car camping monsters, so I'm not really experienced with the middle ground. Anyone have a favourite?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 28, 2023

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Couldn't find a backpack that I liked, and then I was considering a fanny pack, but ended up getting a REI Big Haul 60l duffel. I have an older model REI 40l duffel, but it's just a plain tubular one with no extra pockets. About half the time I find myself needing more space, and the tube shape makes using packing cubes inefficient. The trick straps in the Big Haul might end up causing difficulties, but I'm willing to try it out. If it's too stupid, I'll return it and get the basic Roadtripper duffel.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I'm looking for tent recommendations. I'm thinking ahead to next winter, looking for a tent primarily for XC ski touring in Norway and Sweden. Probably mostly short trips (2 overnights), but the occasional week away as well. Needs to fit two people and a pair of 25kg dogs. Expected conditions aren't that extreme since you aren't really at altitude and if it looks like a proper blizzard we'll stay home, but obviously you can get caught out and I'd prefer to be ready in that case.

I was pretty well decided on a Hilleberg Kaitum 3GT, the model is quite popular here and considered a good fit to local conditions. But it's also both on the more expensive and heavy side even among 4-season tents. Also I marked out the footprint at home and it's absolutely massive. That's very nice when the weather is terrible and part of why you go for the GT version, but it does make it a bit harder to use outside of the winter when you need to find flat ground and can't just stamp down the snow. Not sure if I'm just buying a lot more tent than I need.

My other tents are either tiny things aimed at fast and light alpinism or huge car camping monsters, so I'm not really experienced with the middle ground. Anyone have a favourite?

For lightweight winter shelters that don't need to be used in really bad weather I think pyramid shelters are great. The footprint is going to be large, too, though. They are in a completely different league in terms of weight and volume, but of course they are more minimal shelters. I find they do very well in wind and shed snow decently but I wouldn't want to be in one for a blizzard. I really appreciate how straightforward it is to pitch them even in poorer conditions.

If a pyramid isn't an option, and a simple light shelter like a firstlight isn't big enough....then a tunnel tent really is ideal, and Hilleberg is the best as far as 4 season tunnel tents. There are lighter & smaller options than the Kaitum, though. Like, any reason a Nammatj isn't an option?

For non-tunnel winter tents, that aren't tiny fast/light affairs, I've used BD Eldorados a few times. They are fine, comfortable, warm. I thought they were roomy for 2 but I dunno if you could cram two people + two dogs in one. I don't think I would want to. Pitching them is kind of annoying imo, especially in wind.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d say look into Nortent. They have a Vern 2 this is both lighter and cheaper than the Hilleberg you listed, though I didn’t check all the specs. We have their Gamme 6 for hot tent camping and love the hell out of it. Simple set up and tear down, color coded buckles, poles, armatures, and more guy lines than you’d ever need. They’ve become my recommendation for all weather tents in general, and the Vern looks pretty promising.

https://www.nortent.com/shop/12-vern-series/56-nortent-vern-2/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Morbus posted:

For lightweight winter shelters that don't need to be used in really bad weather I think pyramid shelters are great. The footprint is going to be large, too, though. They are in a completely different league in terms of weight and volume, but of course they are more minimal shelters. I find they do very well in wind and shed snow decently but I wouldn't want to be in one for a blizzard. I really appreciate how straightforward it is to pitch them even in poorer conditions.

If a pyramid isn't an option, and a simple light shelter like a firstlight isn't big enough....then a tunnel tent really is ideal, and Hilleberg is the best as far as 4 season tunnel tents. There are lighter & smaller options than the Kaitum, though. Like, any reason a Nammatj isn't an option?

I hadn't considered a pyramid, that's an interesting idea but I think a floorless design will be a hard sell to my partner. Not sure how I ended up set on the Kaitum - I thought the Nammatj/Nallo might be a bit too narrow, but I'm coming around to them. And there is also a Nallo 4 which has loads of interior space while being lighter and not quite so long.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d say look into Nortent. They have a Vern 2 this is both lighter and cheaper than the Hilleberg you listed, though I didn’t check all the specs. We have their Gamme 6 for hot tent camping and love the hell out of it. Simple set up and tear down, color coded buckles, poles, armatures, and more guy lines than you’d ever need. They’ve become my recommendation for all weather tents in general, and the Vern looks pretty promising.

https://www.nortent.com/shop/12-vern-series/56-nortent-vern-2/

Somehow I'd never heard of this company, but they look cool, thanks! A tent stove would be sweet too, maybe for tent n+1. Although we do already have a cheap lavvo-style tent with a hole for a chimney...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I hadn't considered a pyramid, that's an interesting idea but I think a floorless design will be a hard sell to my partner. Not sure how I ended up set on the Kaitum - I thought the Nammatj/Nallo might be a bit too narrow, but I'm coming around to them. And there is also a Nallo 4 which has loads of interior space while being lighter and not quite so long.

Somehow I'd never heard of this company, but they look cool, thanks! A tent stove would be sweet too, maybe for tent n+1. Although we do already have a cheap lavvo-style tent with a hole for a chimney...

Lavvos are very nice and practical, especially for high snow load. Might be worth just getting a cheap fold up titanium tent stove in the meantime to see if you need to upgrade. We went with a G Stove which is impractical for anything but bringing a sled or car camping, given the size and weight. Luckily that’s mostly what we do for winter camping.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The cheap one we currently have is too big and heavy for skiing without a pulk, and I'm not sure I'd trust it in any real wind. I do love the idea though, and it is certainly a time-tested design in these parts.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t bring it on your ski trip, but since you have it, it might be worth seeing if it can stand up to a snowshoe or hike in trip

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Had to count my backpacks:
  • GraniteGear Blaze AC60 - My normal hiking backpack
  • Kelty 80L pack - Old school external frame, used for training hikes
  • A Mystery Ranch Gallagator frankenstein pack with Hill People Gear harness
  • Tuff Possum Shackelton Satchel
  • Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack
  • Hill People Gear Tara
  • Camelbak running pack
  • Hill People Gear Umlindi

Not as bad as my sleeping bag/quilt habit I guess!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn’t bring it on your ski trip, but since you have it, it might be worth seeing if it can stand up to a snowshoe or hike in trip
Ah right, makes sense!

Having spent some more time with a tape measure and masking tape on the floor, I think we may end up with the Nallo 4GT. Tonnes of interior room, but you save a bit on price, weight and overall footprint, at the cost of a lower ceiling at the foot end and only one porch. I looked a bit at the alternatives from Helsport as well, but the price and specs on paper are basically identical so might as well go with company with the long reputation of being the best.

e: Dr. Lunchables I checked out your state park thread and that tent + stove setup looks sweet. Definitely going to keep it in mind for when we come to replace our current car camping gear.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 28, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm insanely stubborn about owning too many bags so I only have two, and one of them I almost never use (it's only for airplane carryon and I ain't been flying much).

The one I actually use is a 50L frame pack and it goes everywhere, even short strolls or day hikes. Makes me look like a massively overprepared dork or a through hiker that got seriously lost. It kinda looks reasonable when empty if I cinch down all the straps real tight but it's lipstick on a pig.

The big advantage is I never have to repack, I can dump the bag by the door and the next time I'm going out it's already packed and I know everything I'll need is in there. Refresh snacks if necessary and I'm gone.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Just get a teardrop. :v:

If you're gonna go down the road of luxury might as well get something with a kitchen and a proper mattress. Granted they'll put you in the hole $30k or more but that's the entry fee for being an ~*overlander*~
He-ey, That's exactly what I just did! Hoping it'll make it easier to get my National Parks passport booked stamped out, and to start getting back out more again.

El Grillo posted:

anyone know how I release this kind of valve on an air mattress, to deflate the thing?

That's a classic Schrödinger's Valve. It is both simultaneously failed and not-failed, but the only way to know for certain is to bring it with you on an important trip

Dr. Lunchables posted:

:hmmyes: Flick the bean to make it whistle. Got it.

Camping & Outdoors Gear: Flick the Bean to Make it Whistle

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just binned my REI flash pad from the frustration of it getting a new leak every time I use it. I wasn't poking holes in it. It was failing at the welds.

I think I'm going to get a z-lite and just deal with switching sides I sleep on when my hip and shoulder starts to bother me unless y'all can tell me the REI flash pad is particularly bad and other pads don't do that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

CopperHound posted:

I just binned my REI flash pad from the frustration of it getting a new leak every time I use it. I wasn't poking holes in it. It was failing at the welds.

I think I'm going to get a z-lite and just deal with switching sides I sleep on when my hip and shoulder starts to bother me unless y'all can tell me the REI flash pad is particularly bad and other pads don't do that.

My big Agnes pad had the same failure but only after 8-10 years. It was the inside seam of the tufted bits. I patched the first one successfully for a few years but they kept happening and after 10 years of use I assumed I got my money's worth

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

I'm insanely stubborn about owning too many bags so I only have two, and one of them I almost never use (it's only for airplane carryon and I ain't been flying much).

The one I actually use is a 50L frame pack and it goes everywhere, even short strolls or day hikes. Makes me look like a massively overprepared dork or a through hiker that got seriously lost. It kinda looks reasonable when empty if I cinch down all the straps real tight but it's lipstick on a pig.

The big advantage is I never have to repack, I can dump the bag by the door and the next time I'm going out it's already packed and I know everything I'll need is in there. Refresh snacks if necessary and I'm gone.

I wish I could do this, I have to completely repack every single time otherwise I'm so paranoid I've forgotten something.

Jackets and pants are my item of choice to hoard, I've got a pair for everything from 35°c baking in the sun to -15 snow and wind, in normal, camouflage and blaze. Synthetic and natural.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I swear I heard this was a known issue that they were offering refund/replacement for but I cannot find evidence online of such. Give REI a call??

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My problem is sleeping bags, and I just cant seem to part with any, and they all get used so I just keep trying to make room for them all.

I have:
  • Timmermade -10F Wren Bag
  • Warbonnet topquilt 20F custom
  • LocoLibre Gear underquilt 20F custom
  • Arrowhead Equipment 40F synthetic topquilt
  • Arrowhead Equipment 40F synthetic underquilt
  • LocoLibre Gear underquilt 0F custom
  • LocoLibre Gear topquilt 0F custom
  • 2 big heavy flannel Coleman brand sleeping bags, probably 20F but so luxurious and heavy
  • 20F doubles North Face synthetic bag thats great for car camping

Thats not counting the few toddler bags Ive got for my kid now and the bags my wife owns. I need to find a better way to store all of those loose without taking up so much room.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My problem is sleeping bags, and I just cant seem to part with any, and they all get used so I just keep trying to make room for them all.

I have:
  • Timmermade -10F Wren Bag
  • Warbonnet topquilt 20F custom
  • LocoLibre Gear underquilt 20F custom
  • Arrowhead Equipment 40F synthetic topquilt
  • Arrowhead Equipment 40F synthetic underquilt
  • LocoLibre Gear underquilt 0F custom
  • LocoLibre Gear topquilt 0F custom
  • 2 big heavy flannel Coleman brand sleeping bags, probably 20F but so luxurious and heavy
  • 20F doubles North Face synthetic bag thats great for car camping

Thats not counting the few toddler bags Ive got for my kid now and the bags my wife owns. I need to find a better way to store all of those loose without taking up so much room.

I was cold on a couple of camps so I brought the biggest, dumbest down bag that the Chinese internet could sell me and it almost completely fills my tent. But I am warm now.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm reading a lot of the reviews for the Chinese down bags saying they smell like poultry?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hell, my Mountain Hardware Bishop Pass 0 smells like ducks if it gets wet

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

FogHelmut posted:

I'm reading a lot of the reviews for the Chinese down bags saying they smell like poultry?

Hmm, not the one I got, doesn't really smell of anything. It's made by a company called LMR.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm looking for a car camping tent for me and my 10yo, my 5yo, and maybe my neighbor's 11yo. I'm looking for cheap because I don't know how much longer my 10yo will want to share a tent and I already have a few smaller tents. I'm debating between these 2 tents because they are connected but have distinct sections (this is important) and an looking for any insights or recommendations.

Ozark Trail 10-Person Family Camping Tent, with 3 Rooms and Screen Porch

Ozark Trail 8-Person Connect Tent with Screen Porch (Straight-Leg Canopy Sold Separately) (I already have a pop up canopy)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So I need to replace my daysack. I've got a Mammut Duncan 35 that I really love in theory but the back is just a bit too short for me. On longer hikes it's rubbed me a bit but while preparing for an event I took it on a snappy jaunt with about 18kg in it doing 9 min/miles and gave myself a fairly awful set of blisters just above my coxis. I really like their design approach but it seems Mammut do their packs in a single back size that is just a bit too short for me. Not really sure I want to risk any of their other designs although I guess s frameless pack might work ok.

I'd really want something with a slightly longer back (I'm 1.83m) and similar capacity (could go smaller, preferably 25-35l). Preferably something with hip pockets and some additional outside storage options. Ideally it's something that would double up well for skiing too but that's a nice to have and totally not required.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

I'm looking for a car camping tent for me and my 10yo, my 5yo, and maybe my neighbor's 11yo. I'm looking for cheap because I don't know how much longer my 10yo will want to share a tent and I already have a few smaller tents. I'm debating between these 2 tents because they are connected but have distinct sections (this is important) and an looking for any insights or recommendations.

Ozark Trail 10-Person Family Camping Tent, with 3 Rooms and Screen Porch

Ozark Trail 8-Person Connect Tent with Screen Porch (Straight-Leg Canopy Sold Separately) (I already have a pop up canopy)

Good rule of thumb for tent capacity is to take what's stated and divide by two. Unless you plan on sleeping with the kids arranged in a tetris pattern to fill every inch, which you already said you want the divider screen. A six person will probably be ok for you and 3 younger kids.

It sounds like you're looking for something that will get you outside, have some fun experiences, but not break the budget, right? The REI Co-Op branded tents are to be a perennial favorite with a pretty good warranty (they'll exchange or take it back no questions up to a year later), but you'll be paying 2-3x the cost (for a reliable tent that will last at least that much longer). Something like the Wonderland might be right for you, with extra headroom, lightweight, thoughtful design, and more durable materials. The thinner fabrics and less durable poles on the ozark trail stuff will probably do you all right for a season or two, but you'll probably be risking catastrophic failure for much more than that. But if you only get out once a year, maybe that's the right tradeoff to just get outside and figure out what suits you best as you figure out what you do and don't want in a tent. It all comes down to what your goals are.

Since you're car camping, you don't have to worry about weight as much, but lighter is always nicer, plus overall packed volume is a big consideration as things add up fast. Those collapsible pole tents are nice because they take up less overall space packed, but can take a bit to set up (though the 11 & 10 year old might be good helpers, and it'd be a fun responsibility they'd remember).

I personally like the instant cabin pop up tents for car camping. Helps make setting up a bit easier and quicker, but the tent itself is a bit heavier to drag and larger volume to pack, though you get standing room too which is nice. For perspective, the 4 person coleman instant cabin is good for two adults with a queen bed (or two inflatable twin mattresses), with about a foot and a half extra space on two sides to change, store gear, etc. Mine's held up pretty all right for now going on four years, but it's starting to show its age.

Don't forget to get some sort of footprint, even if it's a blue tarp with the edges folded in under the tent floor. This will help prolong your tent floor from ripping.

Another big thing to consider is how important it is to find level ground. If it's not a good flat spot, you'll be sliding down to the low spot all night long. Smaller tents are easier to find a low spot, so you might be better served with buying two smaller 3 person tents that would be easier to set up, maybe have the two similarly aged kids in one, you and the youngest the other or something.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 9, 2023

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was looking at replacing my gerber dime multi tool, and thinking of getting a larger one since we'll be getting a teardrop camper and I don't need to be so mindful of ounces, plus the gerber is starting to get pretty rusty. I pretty much only ever used the bottle opener, knife for slicing cheese, and pliers for detangling knotted cord, so I don't need too much if I'm being honest with myself.

All that being said I'm kind of liking the Leatherman Signal Multi-Tool and I was curious whether anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other, or if there's something similar I should consider.

If I'm being honest, I also kind of want a Leatherman since I had a nice one that was given to me as a kid, but was stolen not that long after. I saw Leatherman offers laser engraving, and I also thought it might be nice to put something like "For Reward: Email" (or phone), but I'm curious whether that actually works or where there's something better I could put on there to encourage the return of a lost or stolen multi-tool. Does anyone here do that or has had success bothering to engrave stuff like tools or knives?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I've taken my 10yo camping for a couple years. I have a 4 person Coleman that works fine for just the two of us. He is not emotionally ready to be in a separate tent than me. This will be the first year I take my 5yo. they will DEFINITELY need their own space away from each other at night. My neighbors kids is 11 and may come with us at some point and she will need her own Little area. Basically everyone wants to be in the same tent but not share. That's why I was looking at the bigger Ozark trail with the 2 dividers or the l shaped one with the tunnel. I can at least separate the boys from the girls.

If everyone would be fine with their own shelters, I already have enough from my hiking addiction. So hopefully next year my 10yo will want his own tent and my daughter and I can just share the 4 person. So yeah I just need one for a year or two. Which is why I'm not looking to invest to much into it.

I've heard good things about Costco tents, so maybe I'll hitch a membership this weekend and see what they have.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wasn't going to suggest a more expensive tent since it sounded like you understood the tradeoffs of buying a cheapo tent like an Ozark Trail, but if we're going to be bringing $600 tents into the mix, Backcountry currently has this Alps Camp Creek two-room tent for 50% off, bringing the price down to $190. That's more than the $100 or so the ones you listed cost, but it's less than a third of that REI Wonderland. I have never used it, or anything Alps makes, and I think their stuff is typically viewed as good-but-not-great, but on the other hand, my wife owned an Ozark Trail tent before we met and it basically disintegrated. The Alps is billed as a 6-person tent; I agree that manufacturer-specified tent capacities are... optimistic, but I think you could probably fit 4 comfortably.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

hear me out:

folding (or non-folding if you like) knife, 4” knipex pliers, and actual bottle opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Catatron Prime posted:

I was looking at replacing my gerber dime multi tool, and thinking of getting a larger one since we'll be getting a teardrop camper and I don't need to be so mindful of ounces, plus the gerber is starting to get pretty rusty. I pretty much only ever used the bottle opener, knife for slicing cheese, and pliers for detangling knotted cord, so I don't need too much if I'm being honest with myself.

All that being said I'm kind of liking the Leatherman Signal Multi-Tool and I was curious whether anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other, or if there's something similar I should consider.

If I'm being honest, I also kind of want a Leatherman since I had a nice one that was given to me as a kid, but was stolen not that long after. I saw Leatherman offers laser engraving, and I also thought it might be nice to put something like "For Reward: Email" (or phone), but I'm curious whether that actually works or where there's something better I could put on there to encourage the return of a lost or stolen multi-tool. Does anyone here do that or has had success bothering to engrave stuff like tools or knives?

I leave a pair of pliers in the car and carry around a Swiss army knife. That will slice cheese, open bottles, and you can use the corkscrew as a makeshift marlinespike.

Don't get something too nice for camping. It's way too easy to lose stuff or to borrow it out and forget about it.