Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Give us ze toilet, Lebowski

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

mod challenge: post the toilet

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Last time I visited my dad, his toilet was rotating pretty freely. I can't say if it went quite that far, but there was a shocking range of motion for a toilet that appeared to still be water tight.

(I would have fixed it if I had the time, but he assured me he was gonna call a plumber. I assume next time I visit him it'll still be steerable).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s, uh, an active element for seismic safety. :stonk::hf::smuggo:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Oops

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

So turns out my old thermostat did work but only when wired backwards :psyduck:

Couldn't work out why the new one wasn't working until I realised the old one was actually bridging between a live linked to the timer (so not a permanent live) and a switched live back to the boiler for demand. Except the light to show it's working never came on and it was only when I fitted it back without thinking and wired it up wrong that it actually started switching based on desired temp, but then ofc the boiler didn't work because it got no signal. None of this makes sense, best guess is maybe the wires on the boiler side were reversed somehow? gently caress it.

Anyway now the correct wires are just bridged in the back box and the new one handles the temperature properly, but still, wtf.

e: I should bridge them at the boiler end rather than leaving the (intermittently) live wires in the wall but they were there already and :effort:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 29, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://v.redd.it/bxyzo6cgsnqa1

Single layer, non staggered, load bearing blocks with a lovely mortar job. And the cameraman actually goes inside! Dude's got some massive balls, I'll give him that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Couldn't work out why the new one wasn't working until I realised the old one was actually bridging between a live linked to the timer (so not a permanent live) and a switched live back to the boiler for demand. Except the light to show it's working never came on and it was only when I fitted it back without thinking and wired it up wrong that it actually started switching based on desired temp, but then ofc the boiler didn't work because it got no signal. None of this makes sense, best guess is maybe the wires on the boiler side were reversed somehow? gently caress it.

Anyway now the correct wires are just bridged in the back box and the new one handles the temperature properly, but still, wtf.

e: I should bridge them at the boiler end rather than leaving the (intermittently) live wires in the wall but they were there already and :effort:
Leave a note in the back box about the wiring

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I enjoy lurking this thread and figured I would share some mild self-found content:

I mean I guess it's nice if you do somehow make it up the stairs, you won't be trapped there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah even though those buttons have wheelchair icons, there are plenty of people with mobility issues that need them but can actually manage stairs. A person who needs to be holding a handrail and a crutch or two crutches may struggle to open especially a spring-loaded door and then also get through it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/presentcorrect/status/1541468029736861696

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Oh man if I was you I'd be checking the boiler side wiring like, today.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can hear this image

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Fill the fan mister in the adjoining room with lemon juice

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

StormDrain posted:

Oh man if I was you I'd be checking the boiler side wiring like, today.

I absolutely do not want to open the junction box that these feed to and try to figure out what's going on.

The wiring standard generally is good though which is what makes it weirder. Like I know where the wires are run from and to and they're labelled in the conduit to the boiler...it's just that what they're actually doing makes no sense. It could be that the old thermostat was just a piece of poo poo and just did whatever and somehow it all worked out purely on the thermostatic radiator valves!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Don't they just terminate as low voltage wires connected to a circuit board with some kind of labeling?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

this is a Tomb Raider III level

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah even though those buttons have wheelchair icons, there are plenty of people with mobility issues that need them but can actually manage stairs. A person who needs to be holding a handrail and a crutch or two crutches may struggle to open especially a spring-loaded door and then also get through it.

A lot of people have a lot of trouble with the idea that someone in a wheelchair isn't necessarily completely unable to move without it, but still needs it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people have a lot of trouble with the idea that someone in a wheelchair isn't necessarily completely unable to move without it, but still needs it.

hauling a wheelchair up several flights of stairs sounds daunting even without mobility issues

that said, accessibility features help everyone, and the 'open door for wheelchairs' button is also a very good 'open door when carrying a heavy and expensive box' button.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's called the Curb Cut Effect

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/curb-cuts/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

quote:

Today, these curb cuts are everywhere

And these days used as parking places for electric scooters.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If curb cuts didn’t exist, those delivery robots wouldn’t, either.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Platystemon posted:

If curb cuts didn’t exist, those delivery robots wouldn’t, either.

Sweaty forehead button guy.jpg
[gently caress over the handicapped]
[No stupid delivery robots]

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

And these days used as parking places for electric scooters.

Also, down the street from me, there's an electric scooter parking spot on the street. Right in front of the fire hydrant.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

Also, down the street from me, there's an electric scooter parking spot on the street. Right in front of the fire hydrant.

It's easier to swat some scooters out of the way of a hose than it is to move a parked car.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yeah that seems like a good use of otherwise wasted space

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Its a little bonus for the firefighters, when they pull up to the fire hydrant they can run over like 9 of those scooters

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Its a little bonus for the firefighters, when they pull up to the fire hydrant they can run over like 9 of those scooters

Won’t that just start 9 more fires?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Phanatic posted:

Won’t that just start 9 more fires?

No, you just throw the batteries in the ocean and avoid that

It’s a cheap and legal thrill!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
100, 200, 400, 500, 800, 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, 5,000

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Freaquency posted:

No, you just throw the batteries in the ocean and avoid that

It’s a cheap and legal thrill!

Separate your recycling.

Car batteries go in the ocean.

Scooter batteries go in the river.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

corgski posted:

mod challenge: post the toilet

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Anybody ever hire those guys that hang out in front of Home Depot? I have a pile of roofing trash that I want to get rid of. What's going rate for "bring your truck 5 miles away, fill it up, and dump it"?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Poopernickel posted:

Anybody ever hire those guys that hang out in front of Home Depot? I have a pile of roofing trash that I want to get rid of. What's going rate for "bring your truck 5 miles away, fill it up, and dump it"?

Sounds like a great way to get every empty lot around your home filled with trash.

There is no way those people will haul your trash all the way to wherever the local dump is. They're just going to dump it in the first place they can get away with.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What are you willing to spend ? You can get one of those green fabric “dumpsters” that you schedule a pickup for. I feel like you can walk away with $250-$300 in costs but that might be preinflation value.

Edit: A bagster! That’s what’s it’s called.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Poopernickel posted:

The local dump almost certainly requires the dumper to show proof of residence, which I doubt many of the day laborers are prepared to show.

Why not just wait until heavy trash day (last pickup of every other month around here), or filter it in with your normal trash?