Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Why do we only see them (badly) fortifying the beaches? Are they that sure that an attack will come from that direction or are they convinced that their sad little plaster pyramids are insurmountable?

Most of these "fortifications" are corruption based to earn money while giving the impression that something of actual value's being done, but rooted in a genuine fear that Ukraine might get enough equipment to launch an amphibious assault. In reality they'll rely on bringing artillery and HIMARS within range of Crimea and interdict the supply to the peninsula by the means available to them.

However, those aren't the only parts being fortified. There are trenches, cope bunkers, etc. being built in and around any towns of military significance and near the temporary mustering points of any troops on the peninsula. Specifically, Perekop, Armyansk, Sevastopol, Simferopol, Dzhankoi, Yevpatoriya, Primorsky, and Oktiabr'ske were mentioned, though there might have been other locations where they also set up defenses. The 'best' defenses - or as good as Russia can make them on short notice - are primarily near Perekop and Armyansk.

e: some of it has been identified by satellite footage on the OSINT channels, so if you want to take a look they should be there.

zone fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tarquinn posted:

Why do we only see them (badly) fortifying the beaches? Are they that sure that an attack will come from that direction or are they convinced that their sad little plaster pyramids are insurmountable?

Genuinely curious if some of the local authorities in such parts of Russia are expecting an amphibious assault made up of a division of these things:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

zone posted:

Most of these "fortifications" are corruption based to earn money while giving the impression that something of actual value's being done, but rooted in a genuine fear that Ukraine might get enough equipment to launch an amphibious assault. In reality they'll rely on bringing artillery and HIMARS within range of Crimea and interdict the supply to the peninsula by the means available to them.

However, those aren't the only parts being fortified. There are trenches, cope bunkers, etc. being built in and around any towns of military significance and near the temporary mustering points of any troops on the peninsula. Specifically, Perekop, Armyansk, Sevastopol, Simferopol, Dzhankoi, Yevpatoriya, Primorsky, and Oktiabr'ske were mentioned, though there might have been other locations where they also set up defenses. The 'best' defenses - or as good as Russia can make them on short notice - are primarily near Perekop and Armyansk.

e: some of it has been identified by satellite footage on the OSINT channels, so if you want to take a look they should be there.

:tipshat: Appreciate that.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

You see, the Ukraine is really just a corrupt puppet of the United Satan of America. And what do Americans loudly crow about like all the goddamn time from WW2? That's right, Normandy. So OBVIOUSLY the Yankee puppetmasters are planning a neo-Normandy for their Ukrainian serfs to dash thenselves against the mighty rocks of the Nazi Soviet RUSSIAN fortifications

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tarquinn posted:

Putin finally got to episode 17 of The World at War and learned of the Normandy invasion.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1641308603855380481

Cockpit video from a Ukrainian SU-25. SFW.

That video is a lot scarier than it might look. The Radar Warning Receiver (little blinking christmas tree of lights in the top right) is initially telling the pilot "there is a radar out there that is probably looking for you", and then when he pitches up to fire, it immediately goes "oh poo poo oh gently caress something is locked onto you".

Also interesting that Ukraine is using their SU-25s to do these pitch-up dumbfire rocket volleys. I'd think the risk of that wouldn't justify the results.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Unless they've done some serious math to work out where and when to fire those rockets, I've never seen the point of pitching up in the general direction of the enemy and firing.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Dumbfire rockets don’t even know where their target isn’t.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone seems to be doing it but I can't really think this could be even remotely accurate. At least in a helicopter you might have a bit more time to set up the shot.

We should probably fit some GPS guidance to these air to ground rockets.

MrQwerty posted:

that radar warning system lighting the gently caress up, stay safe frogfoot
They should fit some HARMs on these too

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 30, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

that radar warning system lighting the gently caress up, stay safe frogfoot

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1641383576343126018
Dmitri with a new Strelkov post after a while. He's had some bangers that haven't yet been translated though, as well. Lots of screaming about Khodakovsky being appointed deputy head of Rosgvardiya and miscellaneous "traitors", disastrous policies, and mediocre officials.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dumbfire rockets are infamously inaccurate when you actually can point them directly at the target.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Russia’s going full Cold War and grabbing journalists off the streets again.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7753335/wall-street-journal-reporter-evan-gershkovich-arrest-russia/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mobby_6kl posted:

We should probably fit some GPS guidance to thee air to ground rockets.

There are bolt on kits to turn Hydra and Zuni rockets into small laser guided missiles, but I don't know if there's a GPS version, or if it can work with old Soviet rockets

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1641400356176363521
Unsurprising they would attempt greater information censorship.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lmfao why the hell did u expect journalist guy loving idiot

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Russia’s going full Cold War and grabbing journalists off the streets again.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/7753335/wall-street-journal-reporter-evan-gershkovich-arrest-russia/

What's his rebounding margin?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tai posted:

Unless they've done some serious math to work out where and when to fire those rockets, I've never seen the point of pitching up in the general direction of the enemy and firing.

It's almost entirely useless regardless. Calculating indirect fire for artillery is serious maths, and that's with shells that are very stable and have predictable firing arcs, with very stable platforms and aiming systems designed precisely for the job. Even then you can't get pin point accuracy unless you have shells that can self-correct in flight and artillery still relies on mass of fire to get results.

Dumbfire rockets aren't terribly stable, they are much more vulnerable to interference from wind etc, they are being fired from a chopper that is being buffeted by wind and is slightly moving and isn't equipped with aiming systems for indirect fire by dumbfire rockets. The guys firing the rockets also probably aren't doing any serious calculations, so we have by nature inaccurate weapons being fired with unsuitable aiming systems by guys who at best have a vague "uhh if we aim there it'll kinda go in that direction I guess" idea of what they're doing.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Tigey posted:

Yeah, Glasgow in particular have their own regional variant of the box with everything a new baby needs to get started:

To understand the cuisine of the Glaswegian you need only consider what if Noah had owned a deep frier instead of a boat.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

To understand the pizza of the Swedes you need only consider what would Satan put on a pizza.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'm ashamed to say that when a Brit see's some veg, the first thought is BOIL IT!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's almost entirely useless regardless. Calculating indirect fire for artillery is serious maths, and that's with shells that are very stable and have predictable firing arcs, with very stable platforms and aiming systems designed precisely for the job. Even then you can't get pin point accuracy unless you have shells that can self-correct in flight and artillery still relies on mass of fire to get results.

Dumbfire rockets aren't terribly stable, they are much more vulnerable to interference from wind etc, they are being fired from a chopper that is being buffeted by wind and is slightly moving and isn't equipped with aiming systems for indirect fire by dumbfire rockets. The guys firing the rockets also probably aren't doing any serious calculations, so we have by nature inaccurate weapons being fired with unsuitable aiming systems by guys who at best have a vague "uhh if we aim there it'll kinda go in that direction I guess" idea of what they're doing.

At this point, I'm pretty sure they're doing it to have the pilots do something, anything. The pilots are not able to perform real missions that their planes/helis are made for due to modern AA saturation. I assume some general feels like having his pilots sit at the barracks for a year playing dice while waiting for an F16 will be demoralizing. They send them on these types of missions to keep them at least flying once in a while to keep their skills sharp. At the same time getting a good pilot takes 10+ years of training and practice, so you're not going to send them on suicide missions for no reason in case you'll need them later / get modern jets.

Also if you stop flying completely, then Russian radar will know it's never you and AA will stop shooting down their own jets as they occasionally do.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 30, 2023

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone seems to be doing it but I can't really think this could be even remotely accurate. At least in a helicopter you might have a bit more time to set up the shot.

We should probably fit some GPS guidance to these air to ground rockets.

They should fit some HARMs on these too

They can be laser guided but, based on my vast experience of flying an SU-25T in DCS for 20-30 hours, he would need someone on the ground lasing the targets as their targeting pods are on their nose.

That lock was from really far away (the ring of lights around the aircraft on the RWR indicates signal strength) to his 2 o'clock. The missiles require a continuous lock from the launch site until they can get close enough to use their onboard guidance. They likely knew the location of the SAM sites and planned his ingress and egress to skirt along the edge where there would be minimal danger. Very much guessing here because video game knowledge isn't real, but the SAM site was probably 8-10 miles away.

The real pucker factor is flying so low that a man standing in a bush with an IR guided missile can kill you before you even know something is attacking you. At best he could get a warning that there was a missile launch (I don't know if SU-25s detect MAPAD launch signatures) but there would be very little time to react.

:goonsay:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Molothecat posted:

what the gently caress is this

No doggos, but they didn't say anything about waifus.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dwesa posted:

Oh well, I guess Orbán wasn't bootlicking Putin hard enough

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1641342540644249600

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Imma defend this here mile of beach resorts, see y'all in September!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

Imma defend this here mile of beach resorts, see y'all in September!

lmao this is robably what's happening.

Some in favour Captain tells his Colonel that this 20 mile beach section is vulnerable. Colonel nods his head in agreement and off his Captain buddy goes with his company to lazily put up crappy fortifications for the sake of it. 3 hour work days and chilling out.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
People inventing jobs for themselves that don't involve being on the front lines is an age-old problem.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Wreckus posted:

They can be laser guided but, based on my vast experience of flying an SU-25T in DCS for 20-30 hours, he would need someone on the ground lasing the targets as their targeting pods are on their nose.

That lock was from really far away (the ring of lights around the aircraft on the RWR indicates signal strength) to his 2 o'clock. The missiles require a continuous lock from the launch site until they can get close enough to use their onboard guidance. They likely knew the location of the SAM sites and planned his ingress and egress to skirt along the edge where there would be minimal danger. Very much guessing here because video game knowledge isn't real, but the SAM site was probably 8-10 miles away.

The real pucker factor is flying so low that a man standing in a bush with an IR guided missile can kill you before you even know something is attacking you. At best he could get a warning that there was a missile launch (I don't know if SU-25s detect MAPAD launch signatures) but there would be very little time to react.

on the bright side it isn't easy to get your MANPADS seeker warmed up in time to take a shot if you don't know a low-flying fast aircraft is coming your way in advance.

I know there's an aim assist for the pitch-up-dumbfire thing built into the HUD for Russian helicopters. I've never even pretend flown an Su-25, but for the helicopter at least it's relatively short range - so while it's nothing like a PGM I wouldn't say it's totally useless. I have wondered what the CEP is but don't really know how to search for that ...
Certainly less favorable than getting to do direct fire with them, of course.

tiaz fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 30, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pekinduck posted:

People inventing jobs for themselves that don't involve being on the front lines is an age-old problem.

Listen someone has to spent the next 6-18 weeks with that beaver analyzing, reporting and generally making sure its successfully integrating into beavorial society now that its been relocated up to and including 50km away from its normal area of beavation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wreckus posted:

I haven't flown the commie frogfoot much and I don't recall the A-10 having any dumb rocket, though maybe I just never used them in favor of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Laser targeting definitely wouldn't help here, but it feels like pre-programmed GPS would be (relatively) easy to add and actually be useful, i.e. something along these lines

NTRabbit posted:

There are bolt on kits to turn Hydra and Zuni rockets into small laser guided missiles, but I don't know if there's a GPS version, or if it can work with old Soviet rockets

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't flown the commie frogfoot much and I don't recall the A-10 having any dumb rocket, though maybe I just never used them in favor of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Laser targeting definitely wouldn't help here, but it feels like pre-programmed GPS would be (relatively) easy to add and actually be useful, i.e. something along these lines

Indirect fire upgrade for the A-10 gun FCS and autopilot. You're welcome, MIC.

More seriously,a helo/technical with hydra GPS rockets would be great to just drive up, magdump and put a rocket in every trench before an assault. Like a cluster bomb with guided bomblets.

In an interview with Ukrainian helo pilots they said they are lobbing rockets from 6km away.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Ok but why does this work? Surely the rest of the world will go "nu-huh" the moment the occupiers are kicked out?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Geisladisk posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1641308603855380481

Cockpit video from a Ukrainian SU-25. SFW.

That video is a lot scarier than it might look. The Radar Warning Receiver (little blinking christmas tree of lights in the top right) is initially telling the pilot "there is a radar out there that is probably looking for you", and then when he pitches up to fire, it immediately goes "oh poo poo oh gently caress something is locked onto you".

Also interesting that Ukraine is using their SU-25s to do these pitch-up dumbfire rocket volleys. I'd think the risk of that wouldn't justify the results.

Based on the number of rockets launched (5 per pod), I'm going to guess these are S-13 rockets.

Unless they've been upgraded with guidance, it seems a bit pointless to risk getting smoked by by SAMs for what amounts to harassing fire.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Potrzebie posted:

Ok but why does this work? Surely the rest of the world will go "nu-huh" the moment the occupiers are kicked out?
I guess they'll just literally steal everything so there's nothing left?

karoshi posted:

Indirect fire upgrade for the A-10 gun FCS and autopilot. You're welcome, MIC.

More seriously,a helo/technical with hydra GPS rockets would be great to just drive up, magdump and put a rocket in every trench before an assault. Like a cluster bomb with guided bomblets.

In an interview with Ukrainian helo pilots they said they are lobbing rockets from 6km away.
:hmmyes: exactly something like that. Or another thing I was thinking, at least a Mk.19 with digital targeting so it'd calculate the parabolic aiming and you'd fire it from cover, correct from a drone if necessary

:lol: There's such a mish-mash of AA that it could be anything though.

In the meantime it seems Kharkiv was attacked with like 6 missiles, probably S-300: https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/03/30/7395798/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Potrzebie posted:

They'll wheel, truck or train everything out of the place as the counter assaults go off and are actively doing so..

They are robbing the occupied areas of industrial capacity daily. And "selling" assets to Russian subsidiaries.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

:lol: There's such a mish-mash of AA that it could be anything though.

My money is on the Hawks that Spain provided. Those things are so ancient it'd be a miracle if they worked perfectly fine.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Why do the former soviet armies all cover their tanks in ERA while the western armies don't? Is it a matter of doctrine? Or is ERA just not relevant for a modern tank, and it's just something slapped onto the various T-XX tanks to extend their lifespan?

A few things to unpack with this:

First, Western armies *do* cover their tanks in ERA. When called for, in locations on the tank where doing so would be useful. As an example, the Abrams TUSK package - which sticks ERA on the side hull to protect against threats like the RPG-7V. Why don't they cover as much of the tank? Well, because the parts of the tanks meant to have a bunch of armor on them have comparatively more armor. The parts that are only somewhat armored also have in many cases, significantly more armor. How is this possible? The tanks are bigger so there's more space and weight to dedicate to armor.

The lower hull you see covered in ERA bricks in the photo of the Ukrainian Leopard 2A4 is the weakest point on the front of the tank - this part of the hull has significant protection but not compared to a lot of modern weapons the Russians are fielding here. ERA is a protection enhancer - so this is actually the perfect place to shove some ERA bricks where they can degrade the performance of an impacting weapon enough that the big fat stack of armor underneath will stop something it otherwise wouldn't.

As for the reason Soviet and then Russian tanks use ERA more often and in more places? The T-64/72/80/90 are all evolutions of the original T-64 chassis. For a few generations they experimented with new composite armor schemes (eventually settling on NERA like almost everyone else) and turrets with increasingly chonky fronts, but eventually ran into some very hard space and weight limitations with the chassis back in the late 70's. They didn't have a better composite to cram into the same armor cavities, nor could they make the turret fatter without redesign of much of the tank. So instead they took a look at the Israeli ERA blocks, revised the design a bit, and started stacking those on top of the existing armor instead. This was their only path forward to continue improving protection without coming up with a wholly new, larger tank design.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 30, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

how many of these have been stolen/eaten by the invaders

e: the child is free space