Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

escape artist posted:

Is there anywhere to see it in decent quality? Can't believe it's not on HBO Max. Might have to get a loving DVD.

The YT video of The Corner is all I know about and it's fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJMOoW8y6o

christmas boots posted:

I'd like to have seen that. I never watched the Corner so maybe it's there, but I have a hard time imagining that kind of weakness and vulnerability from Reddick. This is right up there with "John C. Reilly as McNulty" and "Ed O'Neill as Al Swearengen on Deadwood" on my list of things I'd love to see imo.

It's not so much that he's vulnerable or weak. Quite the opposite really. He's a bit intimidating actually. Just totally 180 different from the character of Daniels. Like, if you'd seen The Corner before The Wire, you'd find it equally as jarring watching his performance.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Sorry, I meant that maybe there was something in his performance in the corner that would expand his range in my mind, but I couldn't imagine him coming off with the weakness and vulnerability to do Bubbles. Although maybe it would have been a totally different interpretation than Andre Royo's

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Ed O'Neill as Swearengen is pretty easy to imagine if you've ever seen him do drama. Reddick as Bubbs would be a very different character than Royo did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

christmas boots posted:

Sorry, I meant that maybe there was something in his performance in the corner that would expand his range in my mind, but I couldn't imagine him coming off with the weakness and vulnerability to do Bubbles. Although maybe it would have been a totally different interpretation than Andre Royo's

Nah, you're good.

I was kind of trying to explain how with a lot of actors, they get into that thing where they're Deniro doing Deniro or Pacino doing Pacino, Tom Cruise and Pesci, etc. Or Stallone, Keanu, Arnold and what have you. Gandolfini or Imperioli. Even Leo and Hanks kind of find themselves "slotted" to a certain degree but with The Corner, WOTC and The Wire, Simon totally shuffles the deck chairs in ways that are fun and also kind of weird to watch. At least for me. Spike Lee does the same thing a lot where he uses actors that he can trust and knows are good but the characters are night and day from film to film.

For instance, I mentioned Jamie Hector earlier but also in The Corner, Lester Freamon is a junkie and in WOTC, Dookie is a cop. It throws you for a minute because you've come to kind of know them from their iconic roles but then they deliver a totally different performance and it's never NOT worked or taken me out if the show. It's like whatever you saw them do first is how you think of them and over 5 or 6 seasons, that's just who they ARE and how you perceive the actor.

Like if Michael K. WIlliams (RIP) got a chance to play a school teacher or something or all of a sudden there's Avon Barksdale as a police chief.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

BiggerBoat posted:

Like if Michael K. WIlliams (RIP) got a chance to play a school teacher or something

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Okay some of y’all know you’re just describing what “type-casting”, “playing against type” and “range” are right?

Like it’s a good thing that Simon plays with those tools, but these aren’t new exciting things. That’s what Thespis did when he left the Chorus.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

ShowTime posted:

Unfortunately, also posthumously in the remake of White Men Can’t Jump starring Jack Harlow. Soooo, there’s that I guess.

Yo, what the gently caress

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I just started watching this on a lark after hearing Lance Reddick died, and sweet gently caress, I really missed out on some unspeakably good TV, didn't I? I'm dodging spoilers so I ain't really gonna Post Through It, but goddamn. Had me hooked in the first two minutes.

i can't jump out with my unit because my tummy hurts

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's one of the best series of all time. Only reason it didn't win awards is because of the era it was released. Most people regard Breaking Bad as #1, The Sopranos as #2, but The Wire is regularly in discussion as #3. If not #3, it's in contention for the 4th or 5th slot.

So yea, you are in for quite a ride.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I just started watching this on a lark after hearing Lance Reddick died, and sweet gently caress, I really missed out on some unspeakably good TV, didn't I? I'm dodging spoilers so I ain't really gonna Post Through It, but goddamn. Had me hooked in the first two minutes.

This whole thread is full of untagged spoilers. We are so excited to have you but please be careful. I'd avoid the whole thread until you finished, cuz it's the best TV show ever.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

escape artist posted:

This whole thread is full of untagged spoilers. We are so excited to have you but please be careful. I'd avoid the whole thread until you finished, cuz it's the best TV show ever.
:omarcomin:

Agreed on all counts.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah be warned that we will regularly openly talk about like, major character deaths, so read at your own peril if you mind that kind of thing. Not that it’s the kind of show that’s ruined by knowing what happens (if anything it gets better, but you only get to go in blind once)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Speaking from a bit of experience since I just watched for the first time a few months ago, the What is the latest series you've been binging through? thread is probably a better spot if you want to post about the show as you're watching. Less chance for spoilers when you open the thread anyway.

I admittedly didn't check any threads until I was most of the way through the series though.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 28, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did SA ever have a Deadwood thread? I searched in TVIV but never found a dedicated thread for the show.

I figure there should be one archived somewhere. I’ve started rewatching this for the first time in maybe ten years, and I would like to read a thread with goon reactions as the show aired, if there was one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MrMojok posted:

Did SA ever have a Deadwood thread? I searched in TVIV but never found a dedicated thread for the show.

I figure there should be one archived somewhere. I’ve started rewatching this for the first time in maybe ten years, and I would like to read a thread with goon reactions as the show aired, if there was one.

I actually was about to start a Deadwood rewatch so…

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There was one a while back but I think it’s been archived by now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Deadwood and the Wire are my two favourites. I'd be interested in a Deadwood thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

escape artist was actually planning a Deadwood rewatch thread at some point, which I was quite keen on seeing/taking part in. Not sure if that idea has been abandoned or just put on the backburner.

As for livethreads (archives needed):

Season 1
Season 1 (Rerun thread)
Season 2
Season 3
Television Movie

Inspector_666 posted:

if this is anything like NYPD Blue it's gonna rock.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

escape artist was actually planning a Deadwood rewatch thread at some point, which I was quite keen on seeing/taking part in. Not sure if that idea has been abandoned or just put on the backburner.

Season 1
Season 1 (Rerun thread)
Season 2
Season 3
Television Movie

Excellent, thank you!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
There are some wonderful posts about the impact of the Civil War on the American psyche in that Deadwood movie thread.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

ShowTime posted:

It's one of the best series of all time. Only reason it didn't win awards is because of the era it was released. Most people regard Breaking Bad as #1, The Sopranos as #2, but The Wire is regularly in discussion as #3. If not #3, it's in contention for the 4th or 5th slot.

So yea, you are in for quite a ride.
Who are these people? They’d be wrong. The Wire is better than both of them and I thought that was the general consensus :colbert:

I did a rewatch of Sopranos not too long ago (well it probably was just before covid or thereabouts) and I thought the quality was a bit up and down. More episodes than I remembered had arcs that were never mentioned again and felt like fillers. In terms of entertainment that might not be big problem but as a complete body of work, The Wire is more accomplished IMHO.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Wire is a landscape and The Sopranos is a portrait - neither is "better" than the other, IMO, they're just doing different things

Both are far and away better than Breaking Bad, though, there's no comparison. Better Call Saul is a lot closer to their level of quality. Mad Men is about on par - or slightly better than - The Sopranos.

These are my entirely subjective but also completely objectively correct rankings

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

Season 1
Season 1 (Rerun thread)
Season 2
Season 3
Television Movie

Not abandoned, just on the backburner. I have had essentially no time between work and my dad's illness. If someone wants to take the reins (get it, cuz there are horses in Deadwood) then by all means, do so.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Sopranos is painted in acrylic, The Wire is painted in oil.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ruddiger posted:

The Sopranos is painted in acrylic, The Wire is painted in oil.

Wrong, they're both on TV :eng101:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Strawman posted:

mr flatscreen LED over here

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strawman posted:

It's not TV, it's HBO

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The Sopranos is Mario, The Wire is Zelda.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They've all got their charms, and so do The Shield, which I've just rewatched and am desperate to talk about because god drat does it hold up.

The Sopranos has its interconnected cast of lovable and terrible people, a great dose of humor, and one of the greatest lead performances of all time. The Wire is About Something in a way that maybe no other show is, full of righteous anger cynical about systems yet hopeful about people. Breaking Bad has a lot of everything: standout performances, knowingly ostentatious camerawork, perhaps the best sound design of all time (Crawl Space: just listen to how the soundtrack here combines with the ringing of the phone and Walt losing his mind laughing) so that even when one element doesn't quite work the others keep the show spinning. And The Shield... man. It starts out as basically a cable version of Law & Order and over the course of a couple seasons morphs into a prestige drama attracting movie stars as credited actors, continues getting better throughout its entire run and finishes on both its strongest episode and maybe the best episode of television of all time. Stellar gritty camera work, a noose slowly tightening for six seasons, C.C.H. Pounder is a credited cast member. It's still copaganda.

please talk about the shield

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I liked the shield but I wouldn’t rate it alongside the wire, sopranos, or bb

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Rochallor posted:

please talk about the shield

This is how I feel about Patriot.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Because you are a person of taste and refinement.

Also just a heads up that Michael Dorman, who plays John Tavner, does a couple seasons of For All Mankind where he does a hell of a job too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Cool.

:)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Because you are a person of taste and refinement.

Also just a heads up that Michael Dorman, who plays John Tavner, does a couple seasons of For All Mankind where he does a hell of a job too.

I aspire to be a McMillan Man.

Dornan is also good in the modern pulp western Joe Pickett. It's as deep as the name on the tin suggests but I'll watch anything he's in.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

He does “superficially cornfed man’s man is secretly really hosed up inside” incredibly well. Just stunning ability to switch between cocky and vulnerable at will.

Sure it’s a niche but it’s a hell of a niche and he does it well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've reached season 3 in my (6th? 7th? whatever) re-watch of The Wire, figured I should get on it on account of what happened with Lance Reddick and all.

That scene at the end of ep 1 in season 3 with Bunny in his car, in uniform driving up to the drug corner and the kid trying to sell him drugs is still funny.

Just him first turning up the volume on the police radio and then putting on his hat as the kid just keeps trying to sell him drugs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good old Spider. Also the same sage that explained sideways hats to Herc.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Gus Triandos, big slow guy

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

He was a power hitter, right?

I'm still keepin my distance outta here, but just finished S3 and wanted to reaffirm that this show puts in body hits like a motherfucker. Goddrat, it hurts so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Whatever it is in you that lets you do the thing you do.... it ain't in me anymore."

Cutty getting out was amazing, and leads into that great scene where he goes to Avon to ask for a donation (and ignores his protest and ends up putting up a big poster celebrating him in the gym!)