Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

MokBa posted:

As much as I'd love for Elden Ring to have inspired this game, it only came out a year ago. I guarantee you this game was almost totally complete a year ago and everything since has been bug testing and refining. But I do hope the map has been expanded outwards as well, just to give us more surprises.

I was really worried when the first teaser showed Hyrule all over again, but everything since has been reassuring. They've remixed and expanded a lot and are looking for a new way to surprise the player besides "what vista is over that hill?"

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23001374/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-release-date-delayed

This is after Elden Ring was released. I feel like they definitely took some things from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WarpDogs posted:

there were introduced in BotW, and even then only via item descriptions and area names. We "know" them from their ruins, which are vaguely Mayan in design

Especially talented lore lords spotted things associated with Zonai in the earliest trailers. Otherwise they are a total mystery, other than perhaps being linked to the events of 10,000 years ago given that their ruins are older than the Hylian ones

but 10000 years ago is still after OoT/tp/lttp/loz right? lol.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Toad or the Mushroom people in general should be characters in one of the next Zelda titles, to really gently caress with canon obsessed people. Mario is now part of Hyrule, have fun figuring that out, nerds! :twisted:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

tsob posted:

Toad or the Mushroom people in general should be characters in one of the next Zelda titles, to really gently caress with canon obsessed people. Mario is now part of Hyrule, have fun figuring that out, nerds! :twisted:

Well... zelda on the gameboy...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Also the reason why link has a mullet is because hes now the reincarnation of MacGyver.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Vikar Jerome posted:

Also the reason why link has a mullet is because hes now the reincarnation of MacGyver MacGruber.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

FooF posted:

One thing is for sure, the explanation for the Sheikah's absence will be in the first cutscene of the game. There has to be a reason the Heroes can't use the last game's macguffins and everyone who played BotW is going to wonder where all the Towers, Shrines, and Divine Beasts went.

Yeah, I'm going with Link as we saw him in that demo has either been sent to the past or to some weird alt-Hyrule.

I like the 2nd idea better but the 1st seems likelier.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vikar Jerome posted:

Well... zelda on the gameboy...

Mario and his entire universe are all part of the Wind Fish's dream. :shroom: :lsd: :shroom:

Begun, the Canon Wars have.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gwely Mernans posted:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23001374/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-release-date-delayed

This is after Elden Ring was released. I feel like they definitely took some things from it.

I would also love for a future Zelda game to take some inspiration from the things Elden Ring got right that BOTW missed (ER's many legacy dungeons were basically Hyrule Castle taken to the absolute max), but a five month delay to introduce a significant new feature that they saw in a game that only just came out... is honestly an overly optimistic view of how software development goes. But yes, I definitely want the next open world Zelda (which will be on a brand new map and have a totally new engine) to take a few lessons from ER's world design.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't want the next Zelda after Tears of the Kingdom to be open world at all. The major issue with Zelda games over the decade or more prior to Breath of the Wild was how formulaic they became because they felt they had to do this checklist of things prior games, especially Ocarina of Time had done and I don't want a repeat of that, but subbing in Breath of the Wild instead of Ocarina of Time. I hope that after Tears of the Kingdom that Nintendo gets all the Zelda staff round a big table and goes "Okay, what can we do now that'll be fun?" and/or "What can we not do? Does Link need to be able to climb on everything? Does the map need to be instantly accessible from the start?" etc. Just make a completely different Zelda again.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

tsob posted:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

thechosenone posted:

That I will agree with. Less is often more, and what I'd suggest with regards to the korok seeds would have been to have less of them, rather than more. Expansive terrain is also usable In more focused games as well, with Hyrule field often being a major example in a lot of Zelda games. In this respect I think it'd be nice to have a nice ambient landscape/architecture design that is allowed to focus on visuals and gameplay by carefully balancing what is and isn't accessible, since too much restriction in play area can prevent certain puzzles from making sense, and too little can also make it difficult to design a dungeon.

You only needed like ~400 Korok seeds to get all the upgrades, they put 900 in the world so that you could reasonably get all the upgrades through regular exploration. That’s why they give you a literal piece of poop for getting them all, because they didn’t expect anyone to meticulously find every one. It was smart.

I got every Korok seed but not until after I got the motorcycle which made it super quick.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

tsob posted:

Speaking of, I just finished watching the latest Zeltik video and he pointed out that the peaceful "Construct Rangers" (a) seem to be sweeping and doing chores, and (b) the "Talk" option appears for a second when Link disembarks from his raft near one before moving away. So you can probably talk to them. What do those little fuckers want? Are they an entire new set of NPCs with weird quests? Or will they all just have a couple of repeating lines of dialogue; kind of like the Yiga clan assassins who ambush you occasionally in Breath of the Wild? poo poo, even if that's all they are, it still implies there'll be some other constructs with a larger presence that they're foreshadowing.

some of them seem to be near cooking pots so i wonder if they are a shop for quick ingredients or something while up in the sky.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You only needed like ~400 Korok seeds to get all the upgrades, they put 900 in the world so that you could reasonably get all the upgrades through regular exploration. That’s why they give you a literal piece of poop for getting them all, because they didn’t expect anyone to meticulously find every one. It was smart.

I got every Korok seed but not until after I got the motorcycle which made it super quick.

i'm wondering if they will let you import the botw save, or read at least so they know you got 900 or something and let you put it on a arrow or some such poo poo. theres gotta be some connection to the save file.

this is uncle at nintendo type of leak but it seems somewhat accurate but its 50/50 at the min (this is about clothes only) but apparently all the botw clothing items are in totk (some of it in the artbook like that early red armour) including all the dlc/amiibo stuff and i wonder if theres some kind of save reading feature for that, that either gives you all the items you had at the start or puts in links house or theyll have you start completely fresh and you find everything again..? gotta be something... gotta be!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The real important question for this game: will Master Mode be available from the start? :getin:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The real important question for this game: will Master Mode be available from the start? :getin:

Nah, it's will there be blood moons again.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm wondering if they will let you import the botw save, or read at least so they
Feel like the issue with implementing something like this is that a non zero amount of people bought and played the Wii U version and thus would be missing out on potential ingame features based on a choice they made like 5 years ago.

Not that I don't think it'd be rad if they did implement something like this.

While we're at it, I want the motorbike in as something optional but available before the 90% completion point this time. Also wish they'd implement something with the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo similar in scale to what they did with the Wolf Link amiibo. Hell, if they could change the Wolf Link amiibo implementation to be a "Scanning once unlocks the rune that you can use at any time" kind of deal over a "this thing will despawn if you get more than 5 feet away from it and you are going to have to scan it back in with the amiibo EVERY time", that would be appreciated.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah, it'll probably be part of some DLC.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dear Nintendo,

Please let me fuse a whole rear end bokoblin to the end of a rake and smack other bokoblins with it.

Yours Truly,

James Jocular Testicles III

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

between the vehicles and being able to no-clip through ceilings I think they might be trying to streamline navigation in a way that cuts down on the amount of time players spend repeating world traversal that they already did in BoTW. Like, you don't need to manually climb all the way up dueling peaks all over again, you can just use rewind on a falling rock or make a helicopter using nothing but paper clips and some duct tape.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/1641144388159160320?s=46&t=WLc0GyyG56Ptvk5fGt4GyA

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Can we swim through a great fairy fountain?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

but 10000 years ago is still after OoT/tp/lttp/loz right? lol.

iirc in Japan "10,000 years ago" is an expression for "a long-rear end time ago" and not meant to be taken literally

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Runcible Cat posted:

Nah, it's will there be blood moons again.

That was in the trailer

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Uh, no...Link...don't

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm wondering if they will let you import the botw save, or read at least so they know you got 900 or something and let you put it on a arrow or some such poo poo. theres gotta be some connection to the save file.

I kind of hope not just because I've beaten BotW at least 8 or 9 times and burnt out partway into my latest playthrough, and haven't felt like picking it up again. I don't want to replay the game (including all 120 shrines and DLC) out of an obligation to FOMO.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This may be a controversial opinion, but I stand by this hot take:

I'm really looking forward to playing Tears of the Kingdom.

:hmmwrong:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fortis posted:

I kind of hope not just because I've beaten BotW at least 8 or 9 times and burnt out partway into my latest playthrough, and haven't felt like picking it up again. I don't want to replay the game (including all 120 shrines and DLC) out of an obligation to FOMO.

same. I am on a 2nd or 3rd playthrough and don't want to touch it again before ToTK and my save is pretty...incomplete.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Procrastine posted:

iirc in Japan "10,000 years ago" is an expression for "a long-rear end time ago" and not meant to be taken literally

yeah but im uhh talking about hyrule, actually and 10,000 years ago is after oot/tp/lttp, i mean, the zonai had advance tech we can see from the gameplay demo at least, and those murals were zonai in botw. gotta be after oot/tp/lttp that culture rose to high tech power, accessed the sky areas clearly the sacred realm, comeon! look at that old rear end zelda artwork with the bloodmoon and the sky islands :eyepop:

i was asking because i couldnt remember but im wondering if zonai were pre skyward sword now... or something.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

glassyalabolas posted:

Can we swim through a great fairy fountain?

That's what happens when you upgrade something to four stars.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I took May 12th off from work and am debating getting this digital instead of waiting for the physical copy to show up as late as 8pm.

Does BOTW run any better when on SD versus cart?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think it loads a split second faster on internal storage? That’s it though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inzombiac posted:

I took May 12th off from work and am debating getting this digital instead of waiting for the physical copy to show up as late as 8pm.

Does BOTW run any better when on SD versus cart?

Do we know when it actually unlocks? I keep getting surprised lately by games that say they unlock on X date, but it turns out to be 10PM or something for me, when it's too late for me to bother actually doing anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

I think it loads a split second faster on internal storage? That’s it though

Hmmm okay. I'd say it should be digital because it's a game I'll play a ton but... it's the ONLY game I'll be playing for a while, so it doesn't matter.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Imo the effect of hearty ingredients should be "let the hearts overflow if the strength of the other ingredients pushes you over."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just make it so that getting yellow hearts doesn’t automatically fill your red hearts. Like with soul hearts in Binding of Isaac.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So what is that cube thing link lands on after paragliding to the sky island?

It looks like one of those puzzles you pick up and manipulate to move a marble around.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So what is that cube thing link lands on after paragliding to the sky island?

It looks like one of those puzzles you pick up and manipulate to move a marble around.

I thought it looked like a fixed fan to start up somehow and ride the updraft higher.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In the demo when he goes back to the surface, you can see a giant floating cube. I hope that's a mega labyrinth. Those were neat.

Also, give Link a triple jump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
The two labyrinths were some of the weirdest but coolest things to stumble across in BotW, so I'll be very interested to see if or how those have changed in Tears based on the background info we have.