Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Farchanter posted:

I'm curious if DeSantis is even going to care. He gets to put "put Woke Disney in their place" on his campaign ads, the actual implementation probably doesn't bother him one bit.
DeSantis tends to plant cronies from his special corner of the donor class into these positions. So, I think they care somewhat. Also, Disney World is at the moment vert trans friendly in a state i refuse to fly in and out of. I don't think that most Conservatives actually care about small liberal state schools nobody has every heard of, but DeSantis and his goons do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Still missing a lot of information about motive, but NBC has interviews with friends of the Nashville shooter and seems to confirm:

- “She was under care, doctor’s care, for an emotional disorder,”
- One of their friends said they did identify as trans, but everyone else seemed to know them as a she.
- Confirmed that nobody in particular was targeted.

- The shooter sent a friend a bunch of messages immediately before the shooting:

quote:

The Nashville school shooting suspect’s chilling final messages have come to light, issuing a dark warning to a friend that “something bad is about to happen” just minutes before killing six in the horror attack.

quote:

Audrey Hale, a 28-year-old former student at the school, sent a series of direct messages to friend Averianna Patton via Instagram on Monday morning.

In the harrowing messages sent at 9.57am, Hale revealed plans to die by suicide, telling Ms Patton “this is my last goodbye” and that she would soon be reading about it “on the news after I die”.

quote:

“One day this will make more sense,” Hale wrote.

“I’ve left behind more than enough evidence behind. But something bad is about to happen.”

quote:

“So basically that post I made on here about you, that was basically a suicide note.

“I’m planning to die today. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!!

“You’ll probably hear about me on the news after I die.”

She continued: “This is my last goodbye. I love you [heart emoji] See you again in another life. Audrey (Aiden).”

quote:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1641264997387980801

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/nashville-shooting-motive-audrey-hale-b2309664.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/nashville-shooting-audrey-hale-final-messages-b2309262.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Anything fun happen in the Howard Schultz hearing today?
I think this qualifies

https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/1641090591155953664?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just :lol: that DeSantis thought he could out-lawyer the loving Walt Disney Company.

It should be pointed out, however, that this whole saga is leading to Steamboat Willie (and, by extension, the first Mickey Mouse design) entering the public domain on January 1st, 2024 because the GOP decided to be right for the wrong reasons with regards to IP.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mizaq posted:

I still think this was planned the whole time, and they very nearly got to shift the bond from Disney paying it to state taxpayers paying it.

why would desantis want to punish disney by making citizens pay over a billion dollars of their debt? why would disney want to get involved in this at all when that debt is bond debt which is the "basically, its free money" of big number lending? it doesn't make any sense to assume the state and disney are colluding except that this would be the most exciting outcome of some kind of carl hiaasen novel or something. disney is in no hurry to repay local civic bond debt of all things and desantis has no secret reason to gently caress with bond markets or very publicly write a huge fat check of taxpayer money to a multinational corporation

Farchanter posted:

I'm curious if DeSantis is even going to care. He gets to put "put Woke Disney in their place" on his campaign ads, the actual implementation probably doesn't bother him one bit.

i agree, it doesn't matter what desantis actually does because the details are complicated and boring. he'll be the guy who stood up to disney somehow and did something, and disney maybe didn't like it. whatever, we'll just tell everyone in the right wing media ecosystem that disney is totally crying hot liberal tears and we've achieved the goal, which is making desantis look like some kind of stone bad rear end with little cost or effort on his part

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 30, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah this is way too complex to be a soundbite, "sticking it to disney" is all that matters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Edward Mass posted:

Just :lol: that DeSantis thought he could out-lawyer the loving Walt Disney Company.

It should be pointed out, however, that this whole saga is leading to Steamboat Willie (and, by extension, the first Mickey Mouse design) entering the public domain on January 1st, 2024 because the GOP decided to be right for the wrong reasons with regards to IP.

i am reasonably certain that disney would rather have desantis murdered in public by suited men wearing mickey mouse ears than let this happen

Personally I figure that for DeSantis this is all basically water under the bridge, he made his initial gesture at opposing Woke Capitalism, now it's somebody else's problem. but if he actually does pick a fight with the Mouse it'll be very funny

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i am reasonably certain that disney would rather have desantis murdered in public by suited men wearing mickey mouse ears than let this happen

Personally I figure that for DeSantis this is all basically water under the bridge, he made his initial gesture at opposing Woke Capitalism, now it's somebody else's problem. but if he actually does pick a fight with the Mouse it'll be very funny

It could hurt the strong man image he's trying to portray as part of his presidential bid though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Google Jeb Bush posted:

:pray:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Google Jeb Bush posted:

* in a mickey mouse voice *

HAHA The Mouse always win.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
DeSantis is going to do his best to never bring it up again. Any discussion about what he did will be immediately countered with "But Disney did some rules-lawyering and stripped your board of power, and they can be as woke as they want and you can't stop em"

He wanted to control how Disney ran the park and they stopped him. He's going to pretend none of it happened since he looks like a doofus from all sides.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Out of curiosity, I thought that the law said that you can't separate out union and non union workers inside the same worksite in terms of pay. Does that actually extend to the entire organization?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno if Disney is that worried specifically about Steamboat Willie anymore. IIRC, the Fleischer Superman shorts are in public domain now, but there's not exactly a lot of unlicensed Superman stuff around lately. Those particular designs and specific media might be public domain, but there's not a lot you can necessarily do with them without infringing on many, many things about those characters that the companies do still have a claim on.

That said, it would indeed be funny if this is what gets Disney to have an axe to grind with DeSantis in particular.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

why would desantis want to punish disney by making citizens pay over a billion dollars of their debt? why would disney want to get involved in this at all when that debt is bond debt which is the "basically, its free money" of big number lending? it doesn't make any sense to assume the state and disney are colluding except that this would be the most exciting outcome of some kind of carl hiaasen novel or something. disney is in no hurry to repay local civic bond debt of all things and desantis has no secret reason to gently caress with bond markets or very publicly write a huge fat check of taxpayer money to a multinational corporation

Because it would not actually be punishing them. They would have written their own rules AND be out of the bond debt if this had played out when it first came up. It's not secret that Desantis needs campaign donations. If he's planning to run for federal office and GTFO of Florida, think he cares if he saddles Florida with debt while blaming woke Disney the whole time (and raking in donations)? Every time we see a Republican complaining about something it's to cover a grift of some kind.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mizaq posted:

Because it would not actually be punishing them. They would have written their own rules AND be out of the bond debt if this had played out when it first came up. It's not secret that Desantis needs campaign donations. If he's planning to run for federal office and GTFO of Florida, think he cares if he saddles Florida with debt while blaming woke Disney the whole time (and raking in donations)? Every time we see a Republican complaining about something it's to cover a grift of some kind.

so you think that desantis was just fooling the public into being mad at disney so that he could assume some of their subsidiaries' absolutely not critical or burdensome in any way debt, pay it off on the taxpayer dime, and then hit up disney for campaign funds? all while publicly throwing disney under the bus?

this makes absolutely no sense at all, sorry

a far simpler way to achieve this goal of getting increased campaign donations and public attention is to just attack disney for completely made up reasons, trying to cash in accumulated public distrust of the mouse in particular and corporations in general. no secret double crossing tricks required. if anything desantis probably had no idea at all that RCID carried so much bond debt or that it couldn't be easily discharged, otherwise he wouldn't have sworn up and down he was going to dissolve RCID entirely before quietly backing off to this new plan of not changing anything about RCID except putting his own hand picked oversight board on it. because uh there's a lot of difference between what he said he would do and what he actually ended up doing once someone carefully explained to him what the law allows him to do and how much it would cost to try to push past that restriction

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

so you think that desantis was just fooling the public into being mad at disney so that he could assume some of their subsidiaries' absolutely not critical or burdensome in any way debt, pay it off on the taxpayer dime, and then hit up disney for campaign funds? all while publicly throwing disney under the bus?

this makes absolutely no sense at all, sorry

a far simpler way to achieve this goal of getting increased campaign donations and public attention is to just attack disney for completely made up reasons, trying to cash in accumulated public distrust of the mouse in particular and corporations in general. no secret double crossing tricks required. if anything desantis probably had no idea at all that RCID carried so much bond debt or that it couldn't be easily discharged, otherwise he wouldn't have sworn up and down he was going to dissolve RCID entirely before quietly backing off to this new plan of not changing anything about RCID except putting his own hand picked oversight board on it. because uh there's a lot of difference between what he said he would do and what he actually ended up doing once someone carefully explained to him what the law allows him to do and how much it would cost to try to push past that restriction

Conservative organizations in the 90s would send letters to registered republicans/hyper conservative folks about how Disney was evil for producing Dogma and also for having "unannounced secret gay days" at their parks where all gay people go to Disney World on the same day to make your children gay, I can see that making a comeback.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Conservative organizations in the 90s would send letters to registered republicans/hyper conservative folks about how Disney was evil for producing Dogma and also for having "unannounced secret gay days" at their parks where all gay people go to Disney World on the same day to make your children gay, I can see that making a comeback.

If we're speedrunning the 90s But Worse, alright then.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PostNouveau posted:

Anything fun happen in the Howard Schultz hearing today?

Romney attempted to come to the aid of a fellow billionaire psychopath and tried playing the "job creator" card, so there's that if you're yearning for classic GOP euphemisms as opposed to the current crop.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i felt compelled to do a deeper dive on the whole disney bond debt thing

so reedy creek improvement district (RCID) is the county-equivalent special district that basically acts as a county government for disney world itself. RCID, along with the cities of Bay Lake and Buena Vista, are real actual small governments but widely acknowledged as being owned by disney, because disney is the only taxpayer in all these districts and the districts work very closely with disney for the purpose of running disney world

local governments typically use bonds to fund capital improvements. if i'm the government of a small town and i need to spend $10 million on a new wastewater plant, i can go hit up the bond markets to borrow the money. bonds typically have super low interest rates, because they are unrisky investments - it is super unlikely that the local government will cease to exist or will lose its ability to regularly raise money through taxation of property in the district. so, governments get to borrow money at stupidly low rates, because everyone who wants a rock solid safe investment wants to loan it to governments - this is why the federal government carries trillions in debt, because people (and banks, and governments) are willing to lend trillions of dollars to the feds

so, disney doesn't carry that debt - RCID and its cities do. i'm not sure who exactly holds the debt, i could look it up as its all public information, but it isn't important. disney's pocket governments hold this debt, which is super low interest rate debt, and they have no incentive at all to pay it off ahead of schedule. in fact, bond markets start to get a little suspicious if you start repaying bonds ahead of time for no reason. on top of that, RCID can carry more debt than a typical small government, because as part of its creation RCID got an exception to raise property taxes much higher than is allowed in florida, because the only taxpayer in the district (disney) isn't going to be put out due to overtaxation, so RCID has a special power to dial taxes up and down as necessary and this makes RCID bonds a little more special and lower interest. if you're looking for safe lending possibilities, it doesn't get much safer than a special county government that has basically no obligations, the entire district is a wildly lucrative resort property, and the administrators of the county have a multi national corporation on very friendly terms. its a slam dunk of low credit risk. if RCID was deleted tomorrow and someone else had to repay this debt, there isn't anyone in florida with this kind of repayment power, and there isn't anyone else in florida who would be able to stack debt this high with this level of certainty of repayment

now, if desantis starts doing stupid poo poo and moving bonds around, this itself will scare bond markets. suddenly, this massive debt is being moved from the extremely safe district to a district which will struggle to repay it per schedule... and this debt is being moved why exactly? desantis will get to explain himself to some serious besuited people in stern eyeglasses, and these are also the same people who loan money to his state government as well as all the local governments in florida - ALL of whom risk a lowered credit rating because now the bond markets have to price in the possibility of the governor of florida throwing a hissy fit and loving with lending markets for stupid reasons. these people are not going to accept that a 0.75% increase in lending rates should be waived for culture war reasons, and this is likely the biggest reason desantis backed off dissolving RCID. it wasn't just moving the debt from a big corporation to taxpayers, it was that he would be freely pissing all over the very lending structures that fund his government borrowing as well as all the sub-governments in the state, and he has no real rational explanation for why he's doing this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Farchanter posted:

The people he put on that board sure care. The only reason we even know about what Disney did is because the board is publicly making a huge deal about it, and the DeSantis administration is publicly backing the board. So either he cares, or they're prioritizing their culture-war poo poo over DeSantis' personal political interests. And their tantrum over it has spawned headlines like Newsweek's "Ron DeSantis' Board Rages Against Disney World After Legal Humiliation", so it's a lot less likely that he'll be able to keep claiming that he "put Woke Disney in their place" while simultaneously continuing to fight Disney over it.

It's also not just empty lip service, because the board has hired several law firms to examine the agreement and look for grounds to challenge it in court. The firms they've retained all seem to be politically connected and have ties to DeSantis' people, so there's probably some element of grift, but they can't keep insisting they've already won if they decide to pick this fight. If DeSantis were the uncontested nominee and had right-wing media fully in his corner, maybe he could get away with it, but that's not happening unless he gets lucky enough for something to knock Trump out of the race.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/DavidJollyFL/status/1641119107696455680

Biden climate policy continues to go just great. This auction was part of the inflation reduction act, but this sale apparently goes beyond its requirements.

quote:

“There’s nothing in the IRA that required it to be so large,” said George Torgun, an attorney for Earthjustice, an environmental law group. “If it goes forward as planned, it’s double the size of Willow. It’s going to lock in fossil fuel development in the Gulf for the next 50 years.”

Earthjustice successfully sued to stop a similar project in the past. Last year, a federal judge invalidated an even larger Gulf oil and gas lease sale of 80 million acres, after finding that Interior’s environmental analysis didn’t adequately consider the climate impacts of adding millions of metric tons of planet-warming pollution to the atmosphere.

In its environmental analysis for the current lease sale, the Biden administration estimated the oil and gas drilling from this sale could emit about 21.2 million metric tons of carbon dioxide.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
North Carolina just passed a law making it easier for people to buy a pistol by removing a permit requirement. Background checks are still in effect from purchases, but the permit required a much more broad analysis on who was purchasing the firearm.

The (D) Governor veto'd the bill, but was overridden.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/30/politics/north-carolina-pistol-permit/index.html

quote:

According to a legislative summary, a criminal and background check had previously been required before a purchase permit for a handgun transfer could be issued. Individuals “under indictment or convicted of a felony, fugitives, unlawful drug users, those adjudicated mentally incompetent or who have been committed to any mental institution, illegal or unlawful aliens and those who have renounced United States citizenship, those with dishonorable discharges from the Armed Forces, and those subject to domestic violence restraining orders” were prohibited from obtaining a permit under the old law.

The permit repeal goes into effect immediately. Federal background checks for handgun purchases from licensed dealers remain in effect.

This greatly expands the availability of handguns to people who arguably should not have them. While it probably won't increase the amount of mass shootings, I wholly expect to see the number of homicides increase.

In addition to expanding who can get access to a pistol, it expands where you can lawfully bring one. Places of necessity, like church.

quote:

The law also broadens the ability for concealed carry gun permit holders to “carry a handgun in a place of religious worship located on privately-owned educational property” under certain circumstances, including it being outside of posted school hours, the summary stated. Properties owned by a “local board of education or county commission” are exempt from the law, as are public and private “institutes of higher education” and premises where posted notices prohibit the possession of firearms.

It also expands the number of people with a concealed carry permit who are currently employed by law enforcement agencies but not sworn officers themselves to carry in some “law enforcement or correctional” facilities, and creates a statewide firearm safe storage awareness initiative to educate the public.

The GOP also did what they do to get their way, and apparently pushed it through by preventing debate on the bill after the veto.

quote:

[Governor] Cooper angrily responded to the General Assembly’s move on Wednesday, saying Republicans had prevented debate on the override from taking place.

“Without any debate allowed by GOP leadership because the arguments were too compelling for them to hear, the House voted to override my veto and eliminate strong background checks for handguns in NC,” Cooper tweeted. “Allowing known domestic abusers and mentally ill people to buy handguns puts communities at risk.”

North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein, a Democrat, also objected to the override.

“Today’s move by the General Assembly to repeal our pistol permit law has made our communities less safe. Now, dangerous people – like violent criminals and domestic abusers – will be able to more easily get their hands on guns,” Stein said is a statement.

“Too many worry that their kids may not come home from school. Gun violence is a terrifying threat, and eliminating background checks will make the job of law enforcement officers more difficult. While our legislators failed us, I’ll continue to do everything in my power to keep people in our state safe.”

I'm just so tired of this. Half our country is poisoned by culture war bullshit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This is sicko mode

https://twitter.com/errinhaines/status/1641442088725397505?t=J3lVlCXAvpu1dufYRmnU4A&s=19

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kamala driving past foreign judicial buildings: "I wonder if they incarcerate parents for truancy here, too? :thunk:"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also the dogbrained logic of "Big Building = Big justice"

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also the dogbrained logic of "Big Building = Big justice"

Not really? It's more like fancy building = more likely that they at least *pretend* to value justice. If it's a wreck those in power absolutely do not care.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Twincityhacker posted:

Not really? It's more like fancy building = more likely that they at least *pretend* to value justice. If it's a wreck those in power absolutely do not care.

Perhaps you too have Kamala brain

Some of the worst poo poo imaginable has been signed into law in the fanciest buildings ever constructed, e.g. the Reichstag in the 1930s, or the US Supreme Court Building 1932-Present

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
They were serious about rule of law though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It means they value architecture and possibly preventative maintenance

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A fine building in which the rule of justice can be maintained!

By the NKVD/KGB

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 30, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I heard she can predict if your let your kids skip school and therefore deserve to be in jail by looking at your country's most famous paintings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Literally fascist brain, bigger and fancier aesthetics meaning better in all ways.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

unless he gets lucky enough for something to knock Trump out of the race.

I still can’t believe these people (DeSantis, Haley, whoever) had zero plan for Trump angrily flinging poop at them which is completely predictable. No strategy whatsoever to engage the guy.

The idea that they could somehow ignore and not engage with him seems absolutely absurd. The whole thing seems based entirely on the assumption that he would not run or somehow would get taken out by death, illness or the criminal justice system. There seems to have been no realistic plan for any other scenario.

Now maybe it will turn out that Trump WILL be taken out by one of those things prior to the primaries beginning in earnest but that doesn’t seem like a very good bet right now.

If I could by 99 percent certain instead of 60 percent certain that Trump would lose again in a general election I might be more happy about this. But I’d rather the guy was just completely out of American politics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zwabu posted:

I still can’t believe these people (DeSantis, Haley, whoever) had zero plan for Trump angrily flinging poop at them which is completely predictable. No strategy whatsoever to engage the guy.

The idea that they could somehow ignore and not engage with him seems absolutely absurd. The whole thing seems based entirely on the assumption that he would not run or somehow would get taken out by death, illness or the criminal justice system. There seems to have been no realistic plan for any other scenario.

TBF I'm not sure you can make any plan other than that. The party has done a great job backing themselves into that corner. DeSantis was always plan B. There cannot be a plan A.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Still missing a lot of information about motive, but NBC has interviews with friends of the Nashville shooter and seems to confirm:

- “She was under care, doctor’s care, for an emotional disorder,”
- One of their friends said they did identify as trans, but everyone else seemed to know them as a she.
- Confirmed that nobody in particular was targeted.

- The shooter sent a friend a bunch of messages immediately before the shooting:

Yeah, it seems like they are going to release the manifesto of the shooter Audrey Hale eventually.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/crim...lic/ar-AA19gj6Q

I think it's pretty important to get the writing or video or whatever out into the public though. Half of these "manifestos" are total nonsense, and the public deserves to know why their family, friends and neighbors are dying.

A side note, if you find yourself writing a manifesto and you're not Karl Marx, you should probably seek psychiatric help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have to wonder when and why "manifesto" became shorthand in the public mind for "insane lengthy screed written by violent terrorists".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fister Roboto posted:

I have to wonder when and why "manifesto" became shorthand in the public mind for "insane lengthy screed written by violent terrorists".

Probably Unabomber?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Probably Unabomber?

He wrote one back then, also Karl Marx did write the COMMUNIST manifesto which was/is? American enemy number 1 for so long. Maybe it was some bleed over with association in the United States.

Edit: By that I mean other people wrote other manifestos for their intended purpose, but the one's that we only hear about are the screed type because of the connotations.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 30, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

gurragadon posted:

I think it's pretty important to get the writing or video or whatever out into the public though. Half of these "manifestos" are total nonsense, and the public deserves to know why their family, friends and neighbors are dying.

Why? Apart from satisfying morbid curiosity, there's no value in the unfiltered thoughts of some crazed rando being blasted all over the news, least of all for the folks who just lost a family member in an act of senseless violence. To be clear, I'm not saying that the results of an investigation into their motives shouldn't be public, but that's wildly different than just "ctrl-c/ctrl-v"-ing some insane person's diary onto the nightly news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Baronash posted:

Why? Apart from satisfying morbid curiosity, there's no value in the unfiltered thoughts of some crazed rando being blasted all over the news, least of all for the folks who just lost a family member in an act of senseless violence. To be clear, I'm not saying that the results of an investigation into their motives shouldn't be public, but that's wildly different than just "ctrl-c/ctrl-v"-ing some insane person's diary onto the nightly news.

Because people deserve information, and people who read these manifestos deserve to be rightfully upset that there loved one's died for such pointless reasons. They don't have to read them if they don't want to, but they should be able to easily.

Edit: Should be able to be read easily in my opinion I should have said.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 30, 2023