Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've been seeing more and more shows sober for no particular reason and it's usually just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I find it's mostly the same experience, except you remember more of the show and you stand a little further back to avoid getting drinks spilled on you

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you save so much money not buying $15 beers

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I almost never even have more than one beer at a show and always a pbr. I'll smoke up or eat an edible before particular shows but not even that all the time anymore. When you're old and you start to come down and the show isn't over yet it stops being fun.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was sober at the last show I went to besides the DMT before doors

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Kvlt! posted:

you save so much money not buying $15 beers

Another perk is, ironically, free drinks. My go-to cocktail when I'm at shows (to satiate the oral fixation and avoid people trying to buy me drinks) is a tonic and lime with hot sauce. If the person behind the bar has been on the job for any decent length of time, that drink is on the house

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Nice little mid 80s run I hadn’t listened to before is the March 86 stand in Philadelphia. Both Jerry and Bob’s voices are in good shape for that era and the musical performances are strong. They did some covers they didn’t play very often and brought back some of their own songs that had been shelved. Phil even busts out a Box of Rain that is really good.

There are some standard mid 80s caveats: terrible Little Red Rooster, flubbed lyrics (Jerry remembers zero lyrics to Shakedown), Healy being overzealous with the effects, etc.

The Drums/Space performances are really great, some really interesting and psychedelic Drums in particular.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've been seeing more and more shows sober for no particular reason and it's usually just as good.

I watch anything I go to sober, remembering the friend who managed to go see Zappa live in 1984 and wound up getting so shithammered he fell asleep one song in and didn't wake up until it was done.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So, uh, apparently this may be bad news for the future of archive.org in general? That would destroy me.

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?s=20

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I watch anything I go to sober, remembering the friend who managed to go see Zappa live in 1984 and wound up getting so shithammered he fell asleep one song in and didn't wake up until it was done.

A few years back I went to a Halloween show, a local band that I really like. A friend came in from out of town, my old boss and I dressed up like zombies, I specifically was dressed as a character that the frontman of the band plays in his death themed cabaret band. I had some weed, a Valium, and maybe 2-3 beers. About the last thing I remember was the lead singer recognizing that I was dressed as his alter ego and chilling with me for a minute. I didn't get into any trouble but the whole night is just not there in my memory and it bums me out because it was apparently fun as hell. So that's a big reason for me. I still like an edible or something for a real jammy show sometimes but I've accumulated some really good memories from sober shows now.

Also most of the time now I'm coming home from a show and there's a babysitter with my kid and I probably drove and I gotta get up in the morning etc etc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

So, uh, apparently this may be bad news for the future of archive.org in general? That would destroy me.

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1639390560820637697?s=20

It's ironic then, that the Dead were the first to go after Archive.org.

trem_two posted:

Nice little mid 80s run I hadn’t listened to before is the March 86 stand in Philadelphia. Both Jerry and Bob’s voices are in good shape for that era and the musical performances are strong. They did some covers they didn’t play very often and brought back some of their own songs that had been shelved. Phil even busts out a Box of Rain that is really good.

There are some standard mid 80s caveats: terrible Little Red Rooster, flubbed lyrics (Jerry remembers zero lyrics to Shakedown), Healy being overzealous with the effects, etc.

The Drums/Space performances are really great, some really interesting and psychedelic Drums in particular.

This sounds good. Also it's not the 80s with out *indecipherable mumbling* Shakedown street.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
March 26, 1973 is pretty close to perfect. The 2nd set sequence from He's Gone -> Truckin' (with a Nobody's Fault Jam) -> Weather Report Suite Prelude Jam -> Wharf Rat -> Bobby McGee and then Eyes -> Morning Dew is :discourse:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I think the worst song transition I’ve ever heard them do was Sailor->Saint on March 30, 1980

I’ll excuse it though because the entire Scarlet->Fire immediately that kicks all kinds of rear end.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO thats great post more good ones if u find em! i always love the little anectdotes from onstage/backstage during shows

i love this one from 5/8/77. it's not THAT good, but it also proves the existence of god

quote:

Yes, it is overrated. It is not *THAT* much better than a handful of other shows. It is, however, the absolute #1 work of art that I consider proof of the divine essence of man. Either that, or Jerry really was God...

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Listening to April 6, 1982 first thing yesterday morning put me on a path of listening all day long to early 80s shows that have Shakedown included. Last one was October 20, 1984 to finish things off, which is a really good 84 show. Jerry’s voice is ragged, but he’s singing with a lot of energy and doesn’t sound flat, and Bobby was intense without just shouting. Musically the whole band is locked in throughout the show.

Starts off with a nice Bertha, the West LA Fadeaway has a nice loping groove with some strutting Jerry solos, Bird Song is intense with the whole band lifting off during the solo before winding back down to the final vocal section, and the 1st set ends with a massively jammed out Jack Straw (apparently Bobby had to step aside for a while due to equipment trouble and everyone else just started blazing). 2nd set starts with a botched lyrics version of Shakedown (of course) where Billy and Mickey drive a really high tempo that turns into a smooth jam, and then everything from D/S to Lovelight really flows. The Black Peter performance is a knockout, Jerry’s raspy voice is a perfect fit.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I randomly had Dicks Picks vol 6 on yesterday which is an 83 show, and man was Jerry's voice rough

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A few months ago, a buddy sent me a 1983 show with the message "smell the horse on this one." Still a pretty good show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

Listening to April 6, 1982

God thats an awesome setlist, Saint/Sailor excluded obviously.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

God thats an awesome setlist, Saint/Sailor excluded obviously.

It’s a killer show, if set 1 replaced swapped out CC Rider for like Cassidy or Bird Song it’d be just about the ideal early 80s set 1. (Also while I know this isn’t a consensus opinion I actually really like Sailor/Saint!)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Yeah Sailor/Saint is definitely a welcome addition to a set, it's been a late discovery for me

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The 80s had a lot of ballads out of Space and I always thought that section worked better with something more anthemic like The Wheel or NFA

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The 80s had a lot of ballads out of Space and I always thought that section worked better with something more anthemic like The Wheel or NFA

Wheel out of Space is always welcome

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trem_two posted:

Wheel out of Space is always welcome

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/_abbyrand8/status/1645055320362827776

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

About three weeks ago I was looking for an album to drive to work to and decided to take a chance on a Grateful Dead one, a band that I had been flirting with getting into for the last few years but never committed to. Decided to start with Europe ‘72. Since then I have more or less not listened to anything that isn’t Dead live albums and have ordered two bumper stickers online.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

NienNunb posted:

About three weeks ago I was looking for an album to drive to work to and decided to take a chance on a Grateful Dead one, a band that I had been flirting with getting into for the last few years but never committed to. Decided to start with Europe ‘72. Since then I have more or less not listened to anything that isn’t Dead live albums and have ordered two bumper stickers online.

That's how the big bootleg sticker fatcats get ya

welcome aboard

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the video that convinced me to give em a second try. Turned out what was missing from my first attempts to listen were pole and pole.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

NienNunb posted:

:sickos:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
That Veneta show is a real creeper. You get lulled into a false sense of security because it's a daytime show then the second and third sets just blast off

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Dylan covered Truckin’ last night (tonight?) in Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0AIFfZCUA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It was a pretty solid snow

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

trem_two posted:

Dylan covered Truckin’ last night (tonight?) in Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS0AIFfZCUA

https://twitter.com/rayfp/status/1646133670284079105?s=46&t=qMC4CWrJTLL6muchfMx13w

He’s so cool

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I also appreciated how he tipped his cap to Bobby by flubbing all the lyrics to the first verse.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Did he do the sex change lyrics though real Heads know.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
3rd night in a row of Dylan playing a dead cover (or most of one) after barely shaking up his set list at all in the past 3 years. Hope nobody is sick.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

quote:

Loved this show. Loved the 'whale and dolphin' sounds produced during the space. Good environmental conciousness for a time that seemed like the smell and lure of money would lead industry to bring all nature to its knees. Loved the musky smell of pacculi of the womens who danced and twirled about in the looseness of the scene.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Probably going to pull the trigger on a day pass to see Dead & Company in NOLA.

What are your favorite sets? There's a TON on Spotify.

So far I've hit up and really dug ...

10/31/21 (Dark Star -> El Paso -> Dark Star is life)
11/17/17 (fun sugar magnolia!)
06/30/18 (LOVE the Morning Dew here)
6/23/19 (oddly enough, Terrapin Station -> Althea was a highlight for me)

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
6/15/19 Wrigley is really solid. That slipknot is very, very good.

Set One: Lady With A Fan > Terrapin Station, Sugar Magnolia > Mr. Charlie, High Time, Friend Of The Devil, Bertha, Mama Tried > Turn On Your Love Light

Set Two: Spanish Jam > Scarlet Begonias > New Speedway Boogie, Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklins Tower > Drums/Space > The Other One v. 2 > Standing On The Moon, Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Ripple, One More Saturday Night

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

6/15/19 Wrigley is really solid. That slipknot is very, very good.

Set One: Lady With A Fan > Terrapin Station, Sugar Magnolia > Mr. Charlie, High Time, Friend Of The Devil, Bertha, Mama Tried > Turn On Your Love Light

Set Two: Spanish Jam > Scarlet Begonias > New Speedway Boogie, Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklins Tower > Drums/Space > The Other One v. 2 > Standing On The Moon, Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Ripple, One More Saturday Night

Excellent! Queuing this one up today.

Drums/Space was the thing in the 80's? I don't really dip into live Dead after '79.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Drums/Space was the thing in the 80's? I don't really dip into live Dead after '79.

Drums/Space was a thing in the 70s?