Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
OK so by "across the Baltic" I meant crossing it from east to west or vice versa. But sure, short trip ferries are often passenger-only and then a speed boat make sense. They can be reasonably efficient in terms of CO2 per passenger mile, as well.

For Macau to Hong Kong, that's just across the harbor basin, isn't it? You don't take that kind of boat across open seas. And of we're taking a ship on a 6-12 hour trip, passengers will want a cabin and beds, and then we're suddenly talking about transporting a whole hotel and parking garage across the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's an area near where I live that drives me batty during high traffic times. It looks like this:

Both intersections are four-way stops, which means that the overpass is routinely backed up from one intersection to the other. And there's three lanes of traffic feeding into that one backed-up lane. As a consequence, you are pretty much forced to go into the intersection before there's space for you in the backed-up lane; if you wait, some other rear end in a top hat will shove their way in even though it's not their turn yet. And that means that people going in other directions through this intersection can't get through, because there's cars sitting in the middle of it, not moving.

Is this even solvable without a massive restructuring of the area?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Traffic signals

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
"Raindrop-roundabouts" could be an option, but there may not be enough space and I'm not sure if they have enough capacity.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Saukkis posted:

"Raindrop-roundabouts" could be an option, but there may not be enough space and I'm not sure if they have enough capacity.

Is there a gas station that the County would have to buy if we built this roundabout? If yes, do not build that roundabout. In this case, do not build two roundabouts.

Edit: Service center, but same deal

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a gas station/service center combo on one corner (abutting a shopping center), and a beloved* fifty-year-old pastry shop on another. I can't imagine the county is in a big hurry to tear up buildings in order to improve traffic flow.

Devor posted:

Traffic signals

This is the easy answer, but I'm not convinced it'd actually work. I mean, I get the theory: line up the lights so that cars can flow freely across the overpass. But is there actually a configuration of light timings that would achieve that? The whole "three lanes feeding into one lane" thing, plus the need to handle the not-insignificant traffic that isn't going across the overpass, makes it sound to me like moving to a lights system would require very long wait times.

Honestly, if there was some way to just force drivers to wait for their turn instead of seizing the first instance where they can shove their way in without someone else stopping them, the intersections would be fine. Slow, but fine. Maybe the answer is to station a traffic cop there during rush hour :smith:

* I don't really get why they're so popular, but I can't deny they are :shrug:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This is the easy answer, but I'm not convinced it'd actually work. I mean, I get the theory: line up the lights so that cars can flow freely across the overpass. But is there actually a configuration of light timings that would achieve that? The whole "three lanes feeding into one lane" thing, plus the need to handle the not-insignificant traffic that isn't going across the overpass, makes it sound to me like moving to a lights system would require very long wait times.

They'll operate better than having stop-controlled intersection. It wouldn't be a standard timing due to the proximity of the two signals, and each signal won't reach the capacity that a single one could be expected to serve, but it would be better than it is now.

The better flow might attract more traffic and end up performing worse, but that's hard to know in advance.

You could also consider fixes that would improve operations like restricting certain turning movements, during rush hour or all day. It can be tricky to avoid making your problem worse with that sort of change, since folks in urban areas can just go around the block.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Paint in the world's smallest, most MacGuyver'd diverging diamond

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Anyone on this thread work in California? I heard recently that Caltrans transitioned from using level of service to vehicle miles traveled in assessing projects/developments and interested to know any perspective on how successful that has been

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

How do you design the path that a curved road should take? Do you use splines? Bezier curves? How many levels of continuity do you care about?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

VostokProgram posted:

How do you design the path that a curved road should take? Do you use splines? Bezier curves? How many levels of continuity do you care about?

https://www.blipshift.com/products/track-magnets

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Lobsterpillar posted:

Anyone on this thread work in California? I heard recently that Caltrans transitioned from using level of service to vehicle miles traveled in assessing projects/developments and interested to know any perspective on how successful that has been

delays in going through intersections are no longer considered an "environmental impact" that needs to be studied and mitigated, so that's good! infill development no longer has to widen intersections to comply with the California Environmental Quality Act. (Cities can still just make them do it if intersection level of service standards are found in their local regulations, though.)

what's bad is VMT mitigation is fake, stupid, and everywhere. exurbs are still subdividing and sprawling for people to live 50 miles from work and mitigating the VMT with poo poo like "we're having them paint bike lanes green," or "we're going to have sidewalks."

The intent was that VMT is impossible to mitigate, so the impact of building sprawl on VMT is significant and unavoidable, so people would stop loving doing it. But CEQA is not laws; it's just a requirement to study things.

The way to fix that bridge in San Diego Pacfica is to close the bridge to cars.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 13, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VostokProgram posted:

Standard road construction is just Tangent-Curve-Tangent. Curve geometry maximum/minimum radius is governed by AASHTO Roadway Design Guide (Green book)

Some jurisdictions will use spirals on high-speed roads - often just a standard spiral length. So, Tangent-Spiral-Curve-Spiral-Tangent, where the curve in the middle follows the same restrictions as T-C-T, plus 100-foot long spirals.

All the big design software packages (Geopak, Inroads, Civil3D) have drafting tools that assist with laying out alignments. It typically lets you lock in and specify stuff like bearings, radius, tangent curves, etc... it's pretty flexible.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you say curve, do you then mean an arc of a circle? As opposed to any other curved shape you can define with a mathematical function.
(In video games it seems to be more common to use Bezier curves or B-splines to lay out roads etc, with the Transport Fever games being the exception which instead uses circle arcs for railroad and road curves.)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nielsm posted:

When you say curve, do you then mean an arc of a circle? As opposed to any other curved shape you can define with a mathematical function.
(In video games it seems to be more common to use Bezier curves or B-splines to lay out roads etc, with the Transport Fever games being the exception which instead uses circle arcs for railroad and road curves.)

Yes, curve is just the arc of a circle.

Railroads are the exception that use the gently caress out of spirals (a spiral just being a variable-radius curve as I understand it).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What's the reason to use a spiral curve? I guess I can see some utility in easing into the curve instead of having to suddenly apply a certain amount of steering, but is there anything beyond that?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

What's the reason to use a spiral curve? I guess I can see some utility in easing into the curve instead of having to suddenly apply a certain amount of steering, but is there anything beyond that?

No, that's it. For cars, you have enough play of the narrower vehicle within the wider lanes that it's not really necessary to make the geometry complicated just to shift lane lines around a few inches.

Trains use spirals because the track geometry *is* the steering, so a Tangent-Curve transition would create little instantaneous stresses on the carriages.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Euler spirals/clothoids are mandatory are mandatory in Dutch highway design and have been since forever IIRC. The rest is just tangents and circle arcs yeah.

I find it way more relaxing to do a 1:1 build of AASHTO-designed stuff in Cities Skylines since I can simply glue the arcs together after going through the metric conversion.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

There's an area near where I live that drives me batty during high traffic times. It looks like this:

Both intersections are four-way stops, which means that the overpass is routinely backed up from one intersection to the other. And there's three lanes of traffic feeding into that one backed-up lane. As a consequence, you are pretty much forced to go into the intersection before there's space for you in the backed-up lane; if you wait, some other rear end in a top hat will shove their way in even though it's not their turn yet. And that means that people going in other directions through this intersection can't get through, because there's cars sitting in the middle of it, not moving.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saukkis posted:

yeah this

edit: the wild part is that Manor Dr is the only street that crosses the Cabrillo Hwy for like a mile, so maybe fix that bottleneck too while you're at it.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 13, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I'm taking this to read as "left turns are forbidden"; is that the intended reading? The ramifications of that change on the nearby streets sure would be entertaining!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I'm taking this to read as "left turns are forbidden"; is that the intended reading? The ramifications of that change on the nearby streets sure would be entertaining!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

carmel indiana uses dogbones for their exit ramps and it's fundamentally the same (only it's 2 way roads on the sides instead of 1 lane ramps)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ahh, gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or just drive faster to avoid getting stuck on them

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Why do I get the feeling that the solution to this "problem" will be SUVs with the ground clearance of monster trucks?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the solution to this "problem" will be SUVs with the ground clearance of monster trucks?

Can we skip the intermediate steps and just have everyone drive actual monster trucks?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm pretty sure my 90s van could clear that thing if I angled it right, but why would anyone do that instead of just driving in between them in the middle?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Javid posted:

I'm pretty sure my 90s van could clear that thing if I angled it right, but why would anyone do that instead of just driving in between them in the middle?

They aren’t well marked and people aren’t expecting them

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I had to google it to figure out what the setup even is, since the angle+lack of signs in the pic isn't very useful & my american rear end has never seen one before. Apparently the idea is that only one direction of traffic at a time can go through these, so people turning onto slower streets are forced to slow down and possibly wait. People have also gotten semi trucks through without issue, so they're not that tight of a fit.

I also found people theorizing that the car in this specific pic reversed onto it, which makes it an even dumber move than I expected.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I had to google it to figure out what the setup even is, since the angle+lack of signs in the pic isn't very useful & my american rear end has never seen one before. Apparently the idea is that only one direction of traffic at a time can go through these, so people turning onto slower streets are forced to slow down and possibly wait. People have also gotten semi trucks through without issue, so they're not that tight of a fit.

I also found people theorizing that the car in this specific pic reversed onto it, which makes it an even dumber move than I expected.

I haven't seen something like this specifically, but some other attempts to narrow the road artificially. They're wide enough that it does nothing to slow me down unless there's traffic in the opposite direction, when you might have to stop. Better than speed bumps I guess?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
To narrow it to one direction at a time, over here we just build local roads 7-9m wide (~23-30 ft) and a couple parked cars does the rest.
Definitely something we should do more of on some streets but some people have a fit over the fact that nobody has right of way.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Devor posted:

They aren’t well marked and people aren’t expecting them

Eh, they're in hi-vis yellow, that should be plenty in terms of marking. Maybe add reflectors?

But yeah, people aren't expecting them, for sure.

The design also doesn't make it clear to a driver that "this is an intentional narrowing of the street". I'm sure alternative designs, like narrowing by extending the curb, are more costly. This was probably plopped down in 10 minutes. There is something to be said for using familiar design elements, following construction manuals, etc.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, I bet they were reversing around the corner and being a driver of a big stupid SUV, they have 0 visibility of low objects behind them. And having never seen something like this (basically a hi-vis Jersey barrier in the middle of the road), even if they were watching their rear-view camera, they will have failed to recognize what it is, how tall it is, etc. The way they're stuck also points toward a medium-speed reversal. If they were going forward, they would have to have travel at quite some speed in order to grind the rail that far, and then the driver would have had to be very distracted or quite blind.

Edit:

https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/ posted:

In the U.S. at least fifty children are being backed over by vehicles EVERY week.
The predominant age of victims is one year olds. (12-23 months)
Over 60% of backing up incidents involved a larger size vehicle. (truck, van, SUV)
Tragically, in over 70% of these incidents, a parent or close relative is behind the wheel.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 31, 2023

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it's mindboggling that carbrains get mad that the mean old city put traffic calming measures in the street instead of realizing what would have happened had that quik-chicane been a child

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

This made me think of the Michigan lefts they added to an intersection in Plano Texas which got people so confused they just gave up and let people turn at the cross road

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That type of traffic calming is really common in my country both in residential areas and on minor suburban roads, especially with roads that were formerly through roads but needed to be slowed down. The idea is indeed that traffic is calmed by having to watch for and occasionally wait for opposing traffic. You can still tear through it if you try hard enough, but of course all the weaving required also is supposed to be a signal to calm down a bit. Sometimes there are multiple of them in sequence.

Example: https://goo.gl/maps/mA8DvX7PmjpbH5AX6

Or sometimes it's done by blocking one side of the road, in this case multiple times to force weaving: https://goo.gl/maps/WixfTcnnuoJVeByX8

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

these things are called chicanes

https://www.sfbetterstreets.org/find-project-types/pedestrian-safety-and-traffic-calming/traffic-calming-overview/chicanes/

the point of them is to enforce slower speeds on a street by making the driver pay attention lest they hit a curb and gently caress up their vehicle. speed limits you have to enforce, but a big curb that fucks up your car enforces itself. it looks like this particular one necks a side street down to one way only for a brief distance so as to cause drivers to have to slow down rather than just blowing through and ignoring signage

an SUV perched on top of one of these things is definitely a "that is what it is supposed to do" level moment. pay attention or gently caress up your car, simple as

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 31, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Eh, they're in hi-vis yellow, that should be plenty in terms of marking. Maybe add reflectors?

But yeah, people aren't expecting them, for sure.

The design also doesn't make it clear to a driver that "this is an intentional narrowing of the street". I'm sure alternative designs, like narrowing by extending the curb, are more costly. This was probably plopped down in 10 minutes. There is something to be said for using familiar design elements, following construction manuals, etc.

Yeah, I bet they were reversing around the corner and being a driver of a big stupid SUV, they have 0 visibility of low objects behind them. And having never seen something like this (basically a hi-vis Jersey barrier in the middle of the road), even if they were watching their rear-view camera, they will have failed to recognize what it is, how tall it is, etc. The way they're stuck also points toward a medium-speed reversal. If they were going forward, they would have to have travel at quite some speed in order to grind the rail that far, and then the driver would have had to be very distracted or quite blind.

Edit:

Yeah they're pretty new in Vancouver, where this happened. My understanding from the City planners/engineers is that they're piloting new forms of traffic calming. The current default is for residents to request speed humps on their street, but that isn't the most effective or efficient means. (They were also all-in on small roundabouts at intersections as a calming measure until a local group published a study showing that those were massively hazardous, especially for cyclists.)

They're also in principle trying to reduce all side streets to 30km/h, but obviously just putting up signs doesn't work, so they're not even bothering, and are instead setting up streets so that drivers just don't speed.

These are part of the new toolkit for that, and people aren't used to them, but should be soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ireland.