Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

Is there an average data cap for the US? Mine is 1200 gigs which I feel I'd really need to make an effort to hit.

Comcast and AT&T have the bulk of the market and they cap at 1.2 TB and 1 TB respectively for their normal-tier residential connections, so that's probably a decent guess at what's typical in the US. I'm an extreme case and I probably still wouldn't hit that cap (I'm lucky enough to have an ISP that doesn't impose one), but I could imagine a household of people streaming and gaming and whatnot feeling constrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

Mine is 1TB but I pay an absolutely obscene number for it.

1.2 TB was the standard at Comcast. What're you paying so high for?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My downloads on both the wired and wireless series x in the house have been absolute poo poo for the past few months. I have to leave things installed because if I want to play even a 10GB game it now takes hours to download. I’m convinced Spectrum is throttling xbox traffic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Asnorban posted:

My downloads on both the wired and wireless series x in the house have been absolute poo poo for the past few months. I have to leave things installed because if I want to play even a 10GB game it now takes hours to download. I’m convinced Spectrum is throttling xbox traffic.

They have probably been infiltrated by Sony trolls op.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BonoMan posted:

1.2 TB was the standard at Comcast. What're you paying so high for?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediacom

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A few years back there were places with 200-300 gigabyte monthly limits and it was generally places where one ISP had a monopoly for the region.

I think the fact that this year's Call of Duty isn't over 260 gigs like Cold War was is a big help, although depending on your taste in games they can still run rather large at least in the "over 100 gigs" sense. Flight Simulator and NBA 2K would park a good 30-40% of a Series X's install space by themselves, and thinking on it now it's possible they might not both fit on a Series S.

Forcing newer games to install to SSD storage does make sense since SSDs do have the advantage of performing consistently, you don't have weird shenanigans like "whoops the game tried to load two pieces of data sequentially that happened to have long load times between them so all horses use human NPC models" bug you had on the 360 version of Red Dead Redemption at launch, although it being a blanket requirement for all Series-native games is a bit odd given it affects games like Among Us and Vampire Survivors. But Seagate's monopoly and insane pricing really needs dealing with, we're basically one Black Friday sale away from it being the same price to just buy a whole-rear end Series X with 1tb of storage vs. the price of the 1tb storage module. It's Vita memory card levels of embarrassing now, but at least those weren't more than $100 each.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can spare the ~1GB for Vampire Survivors

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Asnorban posted:

Are you suspending your quick resume?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
If Sony would like to postulate about making an inferior version of a first party game when forced to put it on third party consoles, it may want to address that Sony published MLB the Show does not fully support wireless Series X or elite controllers going on three years now.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MJBuddy posted:

If Sony would like to postulate about making an inferior version of a first party game when forced to put it on third party consoles, it may want to address that Sony published MLB the Show does not fully support wireless Series X or elite controllers going on three years now.

every accusation a confession :hai:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

Are you suspending your quick resume?

This is the second most annoying thing (especially when the game is not actually an online game and just needs to phone home to servers for some reason.) Far Cry 5 and Tomb Raider games dont need 70% of my 100mbit fibre dedicated to updating their collectathon database tables every time I pick some loving flowers.

the most annoying thing is automatic downloads not keeping every single game up to date. What is the point of having automatic updates when anything you havent played for a month isnt updated?

I wanted to quickly jump in and play some of the new Halo Infinite forge stuff but lol nope 60GB update. then i cancelled the update and the game totally uninstalled itself. not going to bother putting it back on just to try a few modes now!

Halo especially, its THE flagship title for microsoft, its kind of on an upswing after a year in the pits, and anyone who wants to give it a try now has to do stupid massive updates. SaaS games like Fortnite etc are like this - games people will always come back to every time theres a new season or new maps or something.

just let me set a threshold for each months downloads or select a handful of Games I want to keep up to date all the time without question. Rocket League is another game that I play maybe for a month at a time then put down again for 3 months.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

elf help book posted:

I wish there was a little 🎖️ or something like that on game tiles in my library where I have all the achievements. I don't remember what I was doing on the 360 but I know I got a lot of achievements back then.

I use trueachievements.com for that. It automatically scans your gamertag for your gaming history, putting your game collection & achievements into neat lists and graphs you can filter

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Last year I dug my 360 out of storage and played the XBLA 1942 for like 3 hours just to get an achievement worth 3 points so my Gamer Score would no longer end in a random number, and I'm 100% more normal than you freaks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Asnorban posted:

Is your ethernet cable fully plugged in? I had very slow dl speeds and sometimes stoppages for a day until i checked that.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

American McGay posted:

Last year I dug my 360 out of storage and played the XBLA 1942 for like 3 hours just to get an achievement worth 3 points so my Gamer Score would no longer end in a random number, and I'm 100% more normal than you freaks.

Mine has been stuck on a random number ever since I played DJ Hero 2 :negative:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fire up crusader kings 3 on PC, iirc there’s a ton of achievements with weird points

edit; apparently not, ignore me as per the usual advice

webmeister fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 30, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ixnay posted:

I have 2 USB drives and almost 250 games installed across everything because I will never uninstall a game until I earn all the achievements in it

this is hosed up

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Is Torment: Tide of Numenara worth playing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Have you played basically literally all other isometric rpgs already? Then yeah, sure. If you have nearly any other option do those instead, first.

Its not offensively bad, but its really mediocre mechanically and writing wise, and makes some poor decisions in both that are glaring giving how much the genre evolved and expectations of gamers since planescape: torment came out.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Fanatic posted:

Mine has been stuck on a random number ever since I played DJ Hero 2 :negative:

Mine has been stuck at an odd number since I started Overcooked. No regrets, that game is great, but no wife/gf will stick it out to get 3-stars on everything.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I bought this one last year during a sale for 0.99. I still haven't played it because I absolutely hate these cprg style of games but it was 99 cents so why not.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

So I'm playing Ni No Kuni 2. It's relatively cute and giving me sort of Eternal Sonata vibes, which is all I can hope for as that is not backwards compatible.

A couple of things. Firstly, what is the point of the plot at the start of the game? It's really not a spoiler as it happens right at the start, but our protagonist is The President of the United States (Richarrrrrrrdd!) Who is transported to the fantasy world after someone nukes New York. Seriously... Why?

Also, what is with games like this doing voice over for half the lines in the game. It's jarring to hear a series of grunts, ah-has and what's which I'm quickly skipping through, to then hearing the character say the entire line.

Also the voices are so wonderfully regionalised British. I swear the most recent character I came across is from Newcastle and I'm waiting to see if he asks for a "Broon Ale" at any point.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone play Opus Echo of Starsong? The dropoff of that game is probably the fastest I've seen. By the time I got the achievement for reaching chapter 2 which is about an hour in, I already had the rare achievement notification. Visual novel-style games do not appear to be very popular with Xbox's audience! I played through to the end though, it's not too long and I though the ending had a good payoff.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Original_Z posted:

Anyone play Opus Echo of Starsong? The dropoff of that game is probably the fastest I've seen. By the time I got the achievement for reaching chapter 2 which is about an hour in, I already had the rare achievement notification. Visual novel-style games do not appear to be very popular with Xbox's audience! I played through to the end though, it's not too long and I though the ending had a good payoff.

I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was unlike anything I’ve played in a long time, somber and very serene. The game did a really great job with its lore and world and character building even with how briefly you could finish it. Definitely a gamepass highlight for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

So I'm playing Ni No Kuni 2. It's relatively cute and giving me sort of Eternal Sonata vibes, which is all I can hope for as that is not backwards compatible.

A couple of things. Firstly, what is the point of the plot at the start of the game? It's really not a spoiler as it happens right at the start, but our protagonist is The President of the United States (Richarrrrrrrdd!) Who is transported to the fantasy world after someone nukes New York. Seriously... Why?

Also, what is with games like this doing voice over for half the lines in the game. It's jarring to hear a series of grunts, ah-has and what's which I'm quickly skipping through, to then hearing the character say the entire line.

Also the voices are so wonderfully regionalised British. I swear the most recent character I came across is from Newcastle and I'm waiting to see if he asks for a "Broon Ale" at any point.

Theres not much point to it. The guy isnt even the main character after the tutorial dungeon.

Nnk2 has some huge problems like it really feels like they ran out of money halfway through* and a lot of the campaign is gated by a bad mobile town planning mini game with timers and poo poo.

Its cute tho for sure.

*the east side of the world map has like 1 town on it vs the dense starting continent, something crazy happened in development im sure. Theres no explanation for how wasted half the map is

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Laserface posted:

my 100mbit fibre

lol

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Stelio Kontos posted:

I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was unlike anything I’ve played in a long time, somber and very serene. The game did a really great job with its lore and world and character building even with how briefly you could finish it. Definitely a gamepass highlight for me.

Same, I've loved all three of the weirdo visual novel-ish games those guys have done, and starsong was the most accomplished yet. Gorgeous art and such a specific warm but distant feeling to the whole thing. I really love the mix of visual novel and relatively low-key simple survival/management sim mechanics they've got in their games.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1641537951430483986?s=20

E3 is now officially dead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol thank god

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Remember when they leaked a ton of people's info. What a poo poo show. I do kind of miss some of the stuff surrounding it but no big loss really.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

MarcusSA posted:

lol thank god
Yeah, I was really scared it was going to happen this year. Phew. Watching game announcements and trailers? Couldn't be me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more like peePee

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What I hated most about E3 was they called themselves the E3 Expo. I can't convey how angry that makes me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
rip3

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It seemed like E3 was on borrowed time once Microsoft and Sony stopped releasing new games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the geoff awards and summer fest are just e3 now its no loss that a lobbying group that had metasthesized into a parasite on its own industry to skim convention fees had to stop. the loss happened years ago when dueling stage shows stopped being the norm with dramatic last minute bullshit and hilarious techincal problems

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Turns out gamers won’t leave their house unless there are go go dancers and Duke Nukem lookalikes. :sad:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Lammasu posted:

What I hated most about E3 was they called themselves the E3 Expo. I can't convey how angry that makes me.

RIP in peace

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Via an Xbox marketing guy on Twitter: Xbox will be doing their not-E3 Games Showcase and their Starfield Direct together on June 11th as a double-bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Kins posted:

Via an Xbox marketing guy on Twitter: Xbox will be doing their not-E3 Games Showcase and their Starfield Direct together on June 11th as a double-bill.

godly