System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This iteration of Sagas hasn't seen Noni's pillmod post yet. I know at one point this was as overposted as the margarita machine but this is for all the new user this year who isn't rereg.

Ask/Tell › Tell me about some new pillows

obi_ant posted:

I've been using the same crappy pillows for a long, long time and I think it's time to upgrade. I find myself constantly flipping the pillow over for more support as well as trying to find that "cool spot". Sometimes I wake up with one of my arms numb or my whole body sore.

I've been looking into a few memory foam pillows, but I've been unable to find anything that I liked. I'm a side sleeper and sometimes I try to sleep on my back if I'm having a hard time falling asleep. I have a pretty average shoulder length (I think) from my neck to the tip of my shoulder it's about 6-7 inches. My girl friend currently has this contoured pillow. I *thought* that contoured pillows were good for neck support, but after sleeping on if a few times, I realized that it's probably better for back sleepers.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone had suggestions for some nice pillows. I've been eying this one for a while. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Noni posted:

Considering the goon community, I can't believe I'm the first to mention this, but have you considered pillow mods? Forget about those expensive, off-the-shelf premium pillows and build your own pillow rigs that have the qualities that you desire. Heck, some of those fancy commercial pillows should be avoided for their outright theft of components and ideas that were developed in the pillmod community. Notably, Serta's FaceHugger line was recalled entirely after they realized the looming PR disaster that a bunch of sleep nerds would incite.

I've been into pillow modding for a few years now and have managed to improve my sleep efficiency index from 0.69 to 0.85 (I'm a class 4b sleeper). You can build a full-featured pillmod for less than $100. Hell, I've made a half-dozen models and not spent more than $200.

Before you start modding, you should heed the standard warning and check if you have sleep apnea or anything medically obstructive. Sure, your vanilla pillows are probably annoying to sleep on, but sleep apnea could be compounding the issue by permitting minor annoyances, like pillow temperature, to wake you easily. More importantly, a few people with pillmods have died while sleeping. Although many of us doubt the involvement of their mods (people who enter the community are prone to sleep issues in the first place), it's still good advice to follow.

If you do have sleep apnea, then pillmods should be hugely advantageous. In fact, the pillmod community began around sleep apnea machines (CPAPs) and their inconveniences, especially for those whose preferred sleep postures are obstructed by CPAP facepieces. The earliest mods involved simply cutting channels into memory foam pillows, and then using freezer gel inserts to cool the pillow. They would also have to reinforce the channel so that the weight of a person's head wouldn't crush the air tubes.

But now, especially with the availability of Arduino kits and cooling systems intended for electronics, there are hundreds of pillmods that you could complete in a few hours.

It seems like most people are drawn to do PCS projects for their first mods. That's fine, but be aware that the better PCS (Pillow Coolant Systems) typically are of moderate difficulty or higher. They are also costly and time-consuming, relative to other mods you could start with such as glowmods, larms, and just simply modding a pillow's material and shape to your headspace.

Here's my first glowmod larm, for example:

This is a good starter mod combination because people like it for light therapy and smooth awakenings. The pillow gradually gets brighter until your wake-up time. You can also set it to gradually get darker at night. It's the adult version of those Glow-Worms that infants love.

But if you are dead-set on a PCS mod, I suggest strongly that you forget about those flashy, complex pillmods that involve watercooled networks of capillaries or, even worse, active heat sinks (such as piezoelectric heat transfer plates). Instead, opt for something silent, passive, and/or battery-based. For example, I have build a mod called "The Vulcan Nerve Pinch" that will get you about 20 degrees F in cooling delta on soft air ducting alone. Yeah, that's not much, but don't be the guy who blows $300 on his first project and builds a pillow that gives his face hypothermia on the first test run.

Once you get some basic know-how, and you're beyond the flashy mods and ready for something purely functional, check out shape or volume mods. These will actively keep your head at the perfect elevation. JB_Artgow is well known for his expertise in this area. I'm using his Face-Lover v3 mod (Affectionately also known as "Face-Fucker v3") every night. That's where Serta hijacked their FaceHugger brand name from. Allegedly.

The Face-Fucker involves inflation and deflation of semi-rigid water bladders to redistribute the pow's volume. It sounds complex, but it's easy if you buy a parts kit. It uses a silent pump and osmotic gradients to work. You can calibrate it based on both your head's weight and angle. Unlike many other volume mods, this is one-mod-fits-all, so you don't have to design around your giant noggin.

Artgow also has a ebook on Amazon (It's only $2), with instructions for something like 100 mods. He doesn't make money on the book, but he does make a few pennies if you buy parts kits from him directly. This beats the poo poo out of finding a Radio Shack that still stocks diodes and capacitors.

Now I'd like to brag for a bit and talk about some of the more exciting, extreme pillmod possibilities, some of which I just warned you against doing. I'm in the middle of building a custom, arduino-controlled pow with about 12 different mods. Although piezoelectric coolers are all the rage right now, I'm sticking to good old fashioned microducting for cooling. However, I'm using infrared LEDs for heating. The latter are normally expensive, but Dealextreme sells them in bulk for cheap. I think they're sold out recently thanks to jerks like me, however.

I don't like a warm face. The heating mod is just for camping in the cold or when I want to use the pillow as a heating pad for sore muscles. Also: sheer awesomeness.

Here's a schematic (not mine):

As for straight-up ducted cooling, the next image is my take on how one spiderwebs their coolant ducts. You have to be careful here not to bend the tiny tubes more than about 60 degrees or put them in a position where your noggin might bend them. That might look complex, but I used only 4 channels with a coolant turnover (in this case, just water) of 2 seconds for the entire surface to cycle.

By the way, medical tubing works just fine, but make sure that it's both flexible and a directional heat conductor, like Vekspan, which is used for anastomosis. If you buy non-direction stuff, hose down the pow-side with some plastidip from your hardware store, or just throw down a layer of aluminized cloth. The lovely crinkly stuff costs a whopping $1 at Dollar Tree, labeled as an "emergency blanket." You can pilfer the softer stuff from a BBQ apron.

Once this thing is done, I intend to stress test it by running both the heating and cooling systems and letting them fight it out to the death. Of course, in a battle of the PCS vs PHS, I suspect the PHS will win and then torch my pillow.

This pillow is directional, obviously. Because I can't flip it over, I've build the base and core layers from flexible expanded polystyrene and ceramic fibers, which will probably give me mesothelioma eventually, but drat if I won't be well rested at least. I was inspired by a dude who made a low-rent version of aerogel so that he could win an award for "Lightest Pillow" at Pillowcon 2010. My pow, without the mod gear, weighs 2 ounces. :D

Now, uniquely for me, because my bed is up against a brick wall, I need a pillow that can deal with a little bit of moisture. I like the brick wall for it being a huge heat sink, but it causes moisture to condense on pillows, especially fancy modded ones. This problem is solved by the combination of my core layers and a rechargeable dessicant. During the day, the dessicant tumbler is turned and heated, thus expelling moisture. It's so powerful that it'll suck the sweat right out of my massive head, but at least I'll never again have sweaty pillows.

Speaking of which, at Pillcon 2011, I was the massive fucker who won the door prize of John Cezrik's faux rabbit fur surface:

You'd think that such fur would be irritating against your face after a half-hour or so, but Cezrik's material has microcapillaries built to certain OCT ranges (OCT is optimal cheek temperature). It's like sleeping on a cloud of baby buttcheeks.

Speaking of babies, I actually enjoy the sound of water pumping through the coolant tubes right next to my ears. It's very soothing. Babies, apparently, are calmed by the sound of water swishing in your mouth right next to their ears, and that's what this is like.

Also being built into this pillow o' mine will be some alarm aromatics. Not only can I wake up to a gradually-brightening, sunny pow, but the aroma of my choice (Bacon) can also waft out.

And if the gentle sound of the water pumping isn't soothing enough, I've got three speakers and the Arduino can easily generate some white noise or play sounds of various environments like the motherfucking ocean. I prefer low-range, soft brown noise. I'll have none of that hissy poo poo that store-bought machines put out.

The nice thing about having noise generated in your pillow is that the sound doesn't permeate the rest of the room. So if your significant other likes a dead quiet room and you need some noise, this is a fine solution.

Of course, all those mods result in an awful lot of wiring:

That's enough pillmod talk, I suppose. gently caress it bitches, let's glow this joint:

If this kind of thing appeals to you, there's also the blanketmod community. However, I tend to stay away from them due to it being populated by perverts who essentially make sex toys out of their comforters, which they call, obviously, "cumforters." Pillmodders are, in essence, nerds who are poor sleepers. Blanketmodders, in contrast, cut dick-sized holes in blankets with anime patterns on them and think they're engineers.

There is, however, a clever mod that came out of that community that involves a mere $30 in parts and makes your bed vibrate like the "magic fingers" machines found in crappy motels. It's really just a few off-balance weights powered by scrap motors, but entertaining. If nothing else, that and your pows should be enough to get anyone into your beds, you creeps.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what any goon pillmod pals have done.

I remember at one point Noni explained making this post, but I don't remember where. Also, anyone with the scuttlebutt want to explain the drama with Noni's modding/demodding/9 year absence (if it is at all interesting, the red text makes it seem so)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Video game modders are the sickest, craziest, most twisted and hosed up people on Earth. Sadly they are also the only people with the dedication to make cool additions for games I like so we must simply shoulder the burden of having to deal with the mercurial whims of these lunatics.

Its only like this for wildly popular games, and sometimes not even then. Other games like STALKER have insane coders who spend years of their life making some spaghetti of a mod that barely works with hacked together dev tools, a culture which ultimately culminated in the games source code being leaked and all three games being compiled into a single, free "mod" thats been processed through several different variations and lead modders. Source engine mods resulted in entire communities and franchises being formed, same with Blizzard RTSes and their custom maps. Kerbal Space Program. Paradox gaahahahahha Im sorry I cant finish that one

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

This iteration of Sagas hasn't seen Noni's pillmod post yet. I know at one point this was as overposted as the margarita machine but this is for all the new user this year who isn't rereg.

I remember at one point Noni explained making this post, but I don't remember where. Also, anyone with the scuttlebutt want to explain the drama with Noni's modding/demodding/9 year absence (if it is at all interesting, the red text makes it seem so)?

Shame there's no Pillmod Pals gangtag.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grassy Knowles posted:

“Defrauding goons with hot dogs” is a Doobie thing. IIRC Noni donated $500 and was cheerleading the project together with another mod of the time (SoundMonkey) and generally probing anybody who talked poo poo about it. Then. You know. Reality set in

This is also the context of one of them (I think SoundMonkey) getting told off by uh…someone from FYAD with that amazing post that ends “you cannot save face or be even remotely not gay”

Necro edit: I couldn’t find the original post but I did find it quoted somewhere

Triticum Guzzler posted:

youll never sustain a sicker burn than the insane + brutal carpet-borne friction from backpedalling after the worm turned on your fucker moron hotdog altriusm. your legs flailed in ever gayer circles fred flintstone style as you raced from the lego den to the computer room to let people know that your self appointed ambassadorial duties plus the time and money you spent trying to take more professional photographs of ersatz retard hotdogs were all part of your incredible joke. you cannot save face or be even remotely not gay.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 30, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

barnold posted:

does anybody have a link to, or know the deep lore behind the ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS FUCKWIT redtext. i have been trying to read the source for that one but all i can find in the live forums are people talking about how funny that redtext is and not the actual origins of it

I've never found the original, it was based on a ttrpg they were playing and the guy was insisting that romans had basic clockwork devices, like really simple poo poo, and then kept pushing it further and further eventually trying to argue for some kind of clockwork automaton.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god drat noni never used one word where six hundred would do

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Its only like this for wildly popular games, and sometimes not even then. Other games like STALKER have insane coders who spend years of their life making some spaghetti of a mod that barely works with hacked together dev tools, a culture which ultimately culminated in the games source code being leaked and all three games being compiled into a single, free "mod" thats been processed through several different variations and lead modders. Source engine mods resulted in entire communities and franchises being formed, same with Blizzard RTSes and their custom maps. Kerbal Space Program. Paradox gaahahahahha Im sorry I cant finish that one

Paradox modding has some super cool gems but boy howdy their mod community at large sucks so bad. You’ll get huge collaborations like Anbennar, an EUIV fantasy total conversion that uses a lot of the base game mechanics in super interesting ways, but then also just so much insane poo poo that’s horribly balanced and weird and probably racist.

There’s always some insane people. Prison architect is one that stands out to me - game is already a touchy subject for many people. I stumbled on a mod that made it Star Wars themed and I was like, hey, cool. Makes it feel less skeezy now that it’s Star Wars, right? I bet there’s other total conversions… Ah, yeah, the others are a Nazi POW camp and uh, a Rhodesian prison total conversion.

Really turned me off from ever wanting to look at that workshop again. A quick google shows me that the Rhodesia mod is still on the workshop.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
That pillow post is truly deranged in the most fascinating way, I’m entranced

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I sometimes randomly remember the "I banned the epic hamcat" rant by noni and lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Grassy Knowles posted:

my mind refuses to accept this as anything but a joke post. sleep efficiency????????? class 4b sleeper????????????

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Paradox modding has some super cool gems but boy howdy their mod community at large sucks so bad. You’ll get huge collaborations like Anbennar, an EUIV fantasy total conversion that uses a lot of the base game mechanics in super interesting ways, but then also just so much insane poo poo that’s horribly balanced and weird and probably racist.

There’s always some insane people. Prison architect is one that stands out to me - game is already a touchy subject for many people. I stumbled on a mod that made it Star Wars themed and I was like, hey, cool. Makes it feel less skeezy now that it’s Star Wars, right? I bet there’s other total conversions… Ah, yeah, the others are a Nazi POW camp and uh, a Rhodesian prison total conversion.

Really turned me off from ever wanting to look at that workshop again. A quick google shows me that the Rhodesia mod is still on the workshop.

I mean tbf Anbennar is also fairly racist. Not in like a deliberately hate mongering way I wouldn’t say, but yeah imagine all the vaguely racist stuff of EU4 combined with all the vaguely racist stuff in D&D, and now add a surprisingly elaborate “purge/expel race” interface to pogrom your resident goblins or elves or whatever

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I sometimes randomly remember the "I banned the epic hamcat" rant by noni and lol.

noni posted:

I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT AND I'D DO IT AGAIN.

That's right. I banned him. Ooooooh yeah, and it feel so drat good to ban him. You guys should try this poo poo sometimes. Daaaaaaaaammmn. Getting high on banning the hamcat. I'm gonna ban that cat when he gets back and just sit back and let that poo poo soak into my brain and tingly my spinal cord. Feels good. Hamcat, rereg, dammit. I need a motherfucking fix.

What's nice when you smoke a hamcat is to let it post around 35 lovely threads and then BAM! Gas them all and light up that hamcat all in one big puff and get prepared for a trip to outer space: population Noni.

I can't help it guys. I'm addicted to banning that salty feline and can't be stopped. Hahahaha suck it.

Gonna sticky this thing. A big old hamcat head on a post as a warning.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skasion posted:

I mean tbf Anbennar is also fairly racist. Not in like a deliberately hate mongering way I wouldn’t say, but yeah imagine all the vaguely racist stuff of EU4 combined with all the vaguely racist stuff in D&D, and now add a surprisingly elaborate “purge/expel race” interface to pogrom your resident goblins or elves or whatever

No disagreement, was more just using it as an example of how crazy in depth and expansive some mods can get.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
threading tubes through my pillow to use a new, side table mounted liquid nitrogen cooling system. Difficulty level: Medium. Hazard Level: Extreme. Sleep potential improvement from 0.420 to 0.69 makes the risk worthwhile.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

No disagreement, was more just using it as an example of how crazy in depth and expansive some mods can get.

Yeah true, it may be one of the most successful collaborative modding endeavors I’ve seen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't get Sleep Extender: Pillow Edition to work with my current CPAP binaries.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

my mind refuses to accept this as anything but a joke post. sleep efficiency????????? class 4b sleeper????????????

have you considered that it's a joke post

although actually as someone who's forever loving around with their pillows I wish it wasn't

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

although actually as someone who's forever loving around with their pillows I wish it wasn't

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

skasion posted:

Yeah true, it may be one of the most successful collaborative modding endeavors I’ve seen.

I'm sure there's stuff on Loverslab that has it beat. But I'm not going to check.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skasion posted:

it was a very racist time, and that's why certain types love to fantasize about purging the orcs from donbass

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

please don't mention the slab here, this is a happy place

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

lobster shirt posted:

It's not a bit?

I got to the bacon aromatics part and assumed there was no way it wasn't a long form joke/trollpost.

Control Volume posted:

Its only like this for wildly popular games, and sometimes not even then.

Its hobbyist game dev and not modding, but I've seen this kind of wannabe tyrant poo poo in even crappy little games with sub 20 player counts. Back when I was a BYOND user (IE: that engine known for running SS13 and nothing else), there was new drama all the time of idiots doxxing eachother over their lovely anime game squabbles with at least one attempted swatting. I was long since gone when it went down, but apparently the site finally did a massive fangame purge when someone faked a legal C&D from Funimation and apparently ended up drawing the ire of Funimation.

There is no amount of real or imagined authority that won't go to some rear end in a top hat's head.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Deranged modder chat always makes me remember the sonic fangame that would forcibly crash your browser if you google searched how to hack it, and would then add your hardware ID to a server database that would make it do this creepypasta poo poo forever unless you emailed the fangame creator pleading for forgiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5IS7nWKas&t=71s

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Oh dear lord! Bees!

The saga of a bee infestation that's real lit, fam

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

skasion posted:

Also a full like third of all contributors have been banned from the mod discord for racism, being a sex weird, or just being an rear end in a top hat.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

HonorableTB posted:

Oh dear lord! Bees!

The saga of a bee infestation that's real lit, fam

The bucket of gasoline just being tossed at the firepit :stonk:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
noni also started the doobie craze and really embraced the 'hot dog man prophet' mystique for way to long before agressively backpedaling and trying to claim it was all ironic from the start

quote:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Doobie
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Doublestep posted:

The bucket of gasoline just being tossed at the firepit :stonk:

one of my moms friends has really gnarly scars all over her arms because she tossed gasoline into a fire and teh fire traveled up the fumes into the jerry can she was holding. not good!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Control Volume posted:

ya stalker mod community seems chill. the most popular things are massive 300+ mod modpacks thaht just use whatever and hack it together and no one seems to care lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Goons first gave doobie a bunch of money. Then, in a fit of regret, goons decided to correct their mistake by spending years obsessively documenting him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lobster shirt posted:

one of my moms friends has really gnarly scars all over her arms because she tossed gasoline into a fire and teh fire traveled up the fumes into the jerry can she was holding. not good!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also a full like third of all contributors have been banned from the mod discord for racism, being a sex weird, or just being an rear end in a top hat.

Like he said, the most successful. Only a third.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most Paradox mod teams would have promoted them. Though it does lead to situations where a system is broken and will remain broken forever because the one guy who knew how it worked was banned.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Continually surprised at how The New Order, the most popular 'What if the Nazis Won' mod for a Paradox game isn't rife with Nazis. Yeah it would make no sense since the mod is so unabashedly critical of them, but that hasn't stopped their fans from failing to understand it lol. Fun visual novel overhaul for a war game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I won't be reading any Noni posts

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I can't believe there are goons who have never heard of the Doobie's Doghouse saga

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Endorph posted:

the buried lede in the minecraft fairy torture is that that guy names one of the fairies 'mom' and then never unpacks this

oh my god i never noticed that

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

the buried lede in the minecraft fairy torture is that that guy names one of the fairies 'mom' and then never unpacks this

lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Testing a post

Edit: figured out an issue where if you're logged into the android app with a non-case sensitive username it breaks quote highlights

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gearscore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

When Blizzard added a paid cosmetic mount to the game, some people got insanely mad about that including the addon author, so he quietly changed the addon to show anyone who owned the mount as having poo poo gear so nobody would invite them to groups. It took weeks before anyone caught on.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 30, 2023