Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Can recommend me a good biography of Simon Bolivar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Can recommend me a good biography of Simon Bolivar?

doubt there aren't any good ones in english. not sure if there are otherwise. john lynch's biography is probably the standard if you haven't happened upon it yet

loving santander

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've heard good things about Liberators but that's about the all the revolutions rather than Bolivar specifically

E: also it's fiction but General in his Labyrinth is fantastic

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Foreign lands are the substrate in which the American military industrial complex grows wars for profit. The people who profit off American wars essentially turned a occasional spasmodic national outpouring of violence into something that could be grown and provide wealth to enrich a tiny elite, just as much as Indian tea or Gabonese palm oil. The world is our war plantation, and it's turned out a heck of a crop over the years.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Foreign lands are the substrate in which the American military industrial complex grows wars for profit. The people who profit off American wars essentially turned a occasional spasmodic national outpouring of violence into something that could be grown and provide wealth to enrich a tiny elite, just as much as Indian tea or Gabonese palm oil. The world is our war plantation, and it's turned out a heck of a crop over the years.

...wow, and here I thought my pings had all cracked at this point!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Will_Bunch/status/1638196773951881222

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in the Doomsday Econ thread, it came up that the sheer amount of labor required to farm food was so incredibly high that it seems ludicrous for people to consider the possibility that they could revert to or become subsistence farmers, for whatever reason that they might deliberately want to pursue it

in that same vein, the following are excerpts from Robert Caro's books on LBJ, describing how people in Texas hill country washed clothes before washing machines became a thing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Utterly insane that society ever settled on that level of constant physical labour being preferable to having your shirt be a little stained or wrinkled.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Utterly insane that society ever settled on that level of constant physical labour being preferable to having your shirt be a little stained or wrinkled.

dudes rock

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

vyelkin posted:

Who cares, that labour is done by women.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Who cares, that labour is done by women.

could it be that patriarchal institutions of white supremacy are eventually forgotten by their creators and taken over by matriarchies and this is why any identity based form of feminism is inherently flawed since it ignores that individual women also benefit from institutional sexism?

...nah pretty sure all we have to do is get rid of the men and that will solve sexism forever

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

gradenko_2000 posted:

in the Doomsday Econ thread, it came up that the sheer amount of labor required to farm food was so incredibly high that it seems ludicrous for people to consider the possibility that they could revert to or become subsistence farmers, for whatever reason that they might deliberately want to pursue it

in that same vein, the following are excerpts from Robert Caro's books on LBJ, describing how people in Texas hill country washed clothes before washing machines became a thing

The 2 biggest labour saving devices in history were the washing machine and the steam shovel

Pretty big argument for the home washing machine being one of the key elements of women's liberation in the mid 20th century

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

look at all that valuable labour ge has stolen from us via automation

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MikeCrotch posted:

The 2 biggest labour saving devices in history were the washing machine and the steam shovel

Pretty big argument for the home washing machine being one of the key elements of women's liberation in the mid 20th century

guns condoms and electricity are the three pillars of modern feminism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

I'm also a fan of no longer being able to buy cocaine over the counter as a cause

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

guns huh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Only a feminist with a gun can stop a sexist with a gun

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lmfao

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Incredible

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I made the same connection.

You gotta have a tiny dick to use a mosquito as a condom though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

[Modern History] Guns Condoms and Electricity

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
outside of hill country it's not that simple

quote:

By 1900 there were commercial laundries in all major cities and in many rural and suburban districts as well. They offered diverse services, from "wet wash" (which meant that the drying and finishing were done at home) to fully finished (usually by hand) laundry. Some of these laundries were located in poor neighborhoods and were patronized by people who had no facilities for doing laundry in their own residences. The heyday of the laundry business seems to have been the decade of the 1920s. Between 1919 and 1929, gross receipts for power laundries virtually doubled; they declined somewhat during the Depression and war years, increased again immediately after the war, and then went into a long period of decline, from which they show no signs of recovering. During the most prosperous years for the laundries, surveys undertaken by home economists demonstrated that, although few households (and only those with the highest income) "sent out" all their laundry work, very few families (and this was true even of poor ones) made no use at all of the commercial services. The items most commonly sent to commercial laundries were men's shirts and collars and "flatwork"-handkerchiefs, sheets, tablecloths, and napkins.

[...] Although no one seems able to be precise about how the industry was born, all commentators agree on what killed it: the electric washing machine. Wherever and whenever electric washing machine sales went up, commercial laundry receipts went down. The decline of the commercial laundry is, in fact, one of the few instances we have of a household function appearing to be well on its way to departing from the home-only to return. Helen and Robert Lynd noticed this in Middletown in the mid-1920s. After noting that "the advent of individually owned electric washing machines and electric irons has ... slowed up the trend of laundry work ... out of the home to large-scale commercial agencies,' they remarked in a footnote:

This is an example of the way in which a useful new invention vigorously pushed on the market by effective advertising may serve to slow up a secular trend. The heavy investment by the individual family in an electric washing machine ... tends to perpetuate a questionable institutional set-up-whereby many individual homes repeat common tasks day after day in isolated units-by forcing back into the individual home a process that was following belatedly the trend in industry toward centralized operation.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Do the Amish still do that poo poo, because lol and furthermore lmao if they do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Warren Zevon voice:

Some Guy TT posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Devil posted:

Do the Amish still do that poo poo, because lol and furthermore lmao if they do.

Most Amish communities use gas-powered washing machines, except some of the really patriarchal ones.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

guns mean that any woman can reliably kill any man at any time

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

War and Pieces posted:

*extremely german nana voice* you kids. back in my day i just put arsenic in his coffee, now you need all these fancy contraptions...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the old days people just played mean jokes on their spouses like getting them to believe they were shrinking

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Mar 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Literally everyone has a gun, you're issued an AR-15 when you reach highschool, they have 5.56 NATO at the pharmacy next to the tampons

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have a gun tweet in honor of the new title

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1640452927646240768

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/k_sonin/status/1641217122910240770

quote:

One major effort, carried out by the Soviet Union, China and North Korea during the Korean War, between 1951 and 1953, claimed the United States had released bacteria and infected insects into North Korea and China. The charges were fabricated but received wide circulation and were only proved false in 1998 by Soviet Central Committee documents published by University of Maryland scholar University of Maryland scholar Milton Leitenberg. He obtained a copy of a cable to Mao Zedong, sent after Joseph Stalin’s death, that read, “The Soviet Government and the Central Committee of the [Communist Party of the Soviet Union] were misled. The spread in the press of information about the use by the Americans of bacteriological weapons in Korea was based on false information. The accusations against the Americans were fictitious.”

so i tried digging into the source and im a little confused because i cant find this specific memo but i can find a bunch of memos from random soviet guys saying this whole thing was their idea??? am i misreading something here or what

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I thought weaponised disease in Korea was an actual thing though? Didn't they like drop a bomb full of diseased bats or some stupid poo poo like that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I thought weaponised disease in Korea was an actual thing though? Didn't they like drop a bomb full of diseased bats or some stupid poo poo like that?

Yes. Jeff Kaye has done a lot of research about this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. Jeff Kaye has done a lot of research about this

yeah this is why i was curious about a washington post piece just casually treating it like well established fake news but when i try to follow the bread crumbs i get led to a website thats not especially clear on where its sources came from

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah this is why i was curious about a washington post piece just casually treating it like well established fake news but when i try to follow the bread crumbs i get led to a website thats not especially clear on where its sources came from

The US govt still denies it and there's a hack named Milton Leitenberg who trots out his "secret Russian documents" that "disprove" the allegations whenever they're in the news. The documents were "found" by a right wing Japanese journalist for Sankei Shimbum, a paper that denied Imperial Japanese warcrimes, and the documents themselves are hand written copies of supposed originals, "authenticated" by a colleague of Leitenberg based on what amounts to a vibes check. Even if the documents were authentic, the context of Soviet admission of fraud is Beria trying to throw a rival under the bus for believing the Chinese/Koreans about the BW - basically a macguffin issue for Beria's power play. Leitenberg has been banging this drum since 1999 and the original documents the transcribed copies are based on have never surfaced.

As Gradenko said, check out Jeffrey Kaye's work in this area. Here's a dumb post of mine about denialism surfacing on reddit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3893410&pagenumber=1227&perpage=40&highlight=731#post530052538

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 05:22 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Obviously the bats were real, and kept on ice and recovered by the Chineese so that they could spread covid later.
Operation Warp Speed was able to create a vaccine so fast because they already had it in order to protect are troops if the bats spread too far.

*adds another piece of string to the Unified Conspiracy Theory board* "Yes, it's all coming together"